BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

• Backroom

He ain't being sacked so it's just a question of what it takes for him to walk. It wasn't 9 losses in 11 last season, so... who knows. He seemed close before we went on our usual 'save the manager' run of form at the beginning of the month. With the pressure on Mowbray gone the players and manager have now reverted to type. 

Christmas period of games brings out the strengths of any club but the mistakes and inabilities of our manager are well below championship standard. And whoever disagrees with me is not looking at this seasons facts.

I don't care what the financial issues are, just sack Tony Mowbray.

• Like 1

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

Christmas period of games brings out the strengths of any club but the mistakes and inabilities of our manager are well below championship standard. And whoever disagrees with me is not looking at this seasons facts.

I am afraid that in the real world you have to care about financial issues.

• Like 1

• Backroom

I don't necessarily think Mowbray is below Championship standard but he's way, way below playoff standard. Lower mid-table in this division is his ceiling and will be our ceiling for as long as he's here. Could get a lot worse if the taps are turned off and we start selling as we did during Bowyer's final days. 

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

“Now that’s what I call condescending”...!

Less sarcastic though, I think you’ll find all stats point towards Tony being a good second tier manager, but probably not good enough to get our team out of the division.

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

He ain't being sacked so it's just a question of what it takes for him to walk. It wasn't 9 losses in 11 last season, so... who knows. He seemed close before we went on our usual 'save the manager' run of form at the beginning of the month. With the pressure on Mowbray gone the players and manager have now reverted to type. 

Can’t see him walking. I’d bet he has never had it so good and never will again:

- Autonomy

- First class facilities

- A CEO who is an ally

- Financial backing (had)

- Confidence of the owners (has)

- Well compensated financially

- No pressure despite £152m losses

- Chops and changes players then blames them and no dissent whatsoever from matchday fans

You can’t get that anywhere in football. What a job! What a life!

• Like 6

Nothing that's happened this season has changed my mind that Mowbray should be sacked.

He constantly talks about gradually improving the squad but, entering 2020, we've still got Bell, Bennett and Williams as first teamers. Far from improving, I'd say the attack is now worse than when he started (entirely down to Graham aging).

For all the talk about changing our tactics to become a pretty, passing side, we are almost completely toothless and bore the few fans who still attend to tears.

A has-been who is indulged because he isn't actively corrupt or slimy. We can do so much better and those say we can't know as little about Europe's various up-and-coming coaches as I do.

• Like 1

Gotta go.

I don't wanna hear “b-but who will Venkys replace him with!” We've been hearing that for almost a decade. Need I remind you that Mowbray is a Venkys man? 

Looking at the accounts, nothing has changed. It's boom or bust. Are fans happy to muddle through and keep chucking money and transfer windows at a manager who's a million miles away from knowing his best XI? 

• Like 3

• Backroom

If I was Mowbray I'd be getting our team back to what it was during our winning run, as close as possible at least with injuries/suspensions, and stick with it even if results don't come immediately. If Tosin leaves then we're probably screwed anyway but this insane chopping and changing has to stop. 

Just now, Amo said:

Gotta go.

I don't wanna hear “b-but who will Venkys replace him with!” We've been hearing that for almost a decade. Need I remind you that Mowbray is a Venkys man? 

Looking at the accounts, nothing has changed. It's boom or bust. Are fans happy to muddle through and keep chucking money and transfer windows at a manager who's a million miles away from knowing his best XI? 

You don't want to hear it because the Mowbray Out argument is hugely weakened when considering his successor. The accounts strongly suggest that the club will face significant constraints in the transfer market due to the FFP rules thereby reducing the attraction of the job here to prospective managers. Additionally there is Venkys track record in appointing managers which suggests we are more likely to get someone worse.

• Like 1

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

You don't want to hear it because the Mowbray Out argument is hugely weakened when considering his successor. The accounts strongly suggest that the club will face significant constraints in the transfer market due to the FFP rules thereby reducing the attraction of the job here to prospective managers. Additionally there is Venkys track record in appointing managers which suggests we are more likely to get someone worse.

In that case, let's give Mowbray the job for life? After all, the successor could potentially always be worse. 

Ironic that you would bring up FFP when the £12m that Mowbray has pissed up the wall will surely come to bite us back on the ass.

And even with our financial restraints, we are still an attractive position for many managers, especially once they see how Mowbray managed to get his feet under the table and a mate on the board.

• Like 1

Just now, Amo said:

In that case, let's give Mowbray the job for life? After all, the successor could potentially always be worse. 

Ironic that you would bring up FFP when the £12m that Mowbray has pissed up the wall will surely come to bite us back on the ass.

And even with our financial restraints, we are still an attractive position for many managers, especially once they see how Mowbray managed to get his feet under the table and a mate on the board.

No doubt we are an attractive proposition to many managers - Ian Dowie is dusting off his CV as we speak- but probably not the good ones.

The £12m is gone and getting rid of the manager does not bring it back - with a contract until June 2022 payoffs mean that FFP gets even tighter.

No. Pro-Mowbray muppets live in absolute fear of change and talk down every viable option out there. Mowbray is a poor manager. He proves it week after week. He proves it here, he proved it at Coventry. Better managers are ten-a-penny, equally bad ones are fifty a penny.  How can anyone look at the gutless, disjointed, can't pass a ball, shower of shit that Mowbray has assembled and can genuinely defend the lack of investment in a shoddy defence, the wasteful spending on toothless strikers and the square pegs in round holes approach (which he does as a first choice) and suggest that it is the best we can do OR he is even capable in his role? 

• Like 7

No doubt we are an attractive proposition to many managers - Ian Dowie is dusting off his CV as we speak- but probably not the good ones.

The £12m is gone and getting rid of the manager does not bring it back - with a contract until June 2022 payoffs mean that FFP gets even tighter.

The only manager we could attract is Iain Dowie?

I love how glibly you dismiss the £12m. You don't think the gaffer should bear responsibility for that?

It seems you're more focused on keeping Mowbray in a job than Rovers' long-term future. 

• Like 2

I think the turnaround at Millwall with the appointment of Rowett proves that there are still savvy managers out there. And I'm certainly not having it that he'd have turned an approach from us down.

Rolling the dice could potentially turn out worse under these clowns (clowns who ironically appointed TM as Amo rightly says) but it is no reason to keep someone who IMO is failing pretty miserably and has taken the club as far as he can.

• Like 1

Absolutely no chance he’s sacked. None. So I’m not getting worked up about it. Always a chance he walks though, but why would he when he is so deeply entrenched with real authority and no real prospect of a similar level job?

We’ve no choice but to hope with the festive period out of the way he stops fecking about with half a team of changes every game and he stumbles back on that winning formula from just 2 weeks ago. 

As always, the buck stops with the owners that allow such dysfunction to take root year after year after year.

Just now, Pedro said:

No. Pro-Mowbray muppets live in absolute fear of change and talk down every viable option out there. Mowbray is a poor manager. He proves it week after week. He proves it here, he proved it at Coventry. Better managers are ten-a-penny, equally bad ones are fifty a penny.  How can anyone look at the gutless, disjointed, can't pass a ball, shower of shit that Mowbray has assembled and can genuinely defend the lack of investment in a shoddy defence, the wasteful spending on toothless strikers and the square pegs in round holes approach (which he does as a first choice) and suggest that it is the best we can do OR he is even capable in his role? 

Is it really necessary to describe people who have put forward an argument you disagree with as "muppets"? Mowbray is an average manager at this level unlikely to get promotion but equally probably a safe pair of hands in avoiding relegation. Why not name one or two of these better managers ?

• Like 1

Is it really necessary to describe people who have put forward an argument you disagree with as "muppets"? Mowbray is an average manager at this level unlikely to get promotion but equally probably a safe pair of hands in avoiding relegation. Why not name one or two of these better managers ?

Since they are “ten a penny” I’m sure he’ll have no problem not looking a complete “muppet”

Mowbray is an average manager at this level unlikely to get promotion but equally probably a safe pair of hands in avoiding relegation. Why not name one or two of these better managers ?

He's took us down once already. And the standout man for the job is Neil Warnock.

• Like 1

Just now, Amo said:

It’s hardly new for people to come out with “We will never get better”. People even thought that about Owen Effing Coyle.

It’s so weak, it can barely be called an argument.

I would genuinely sooner have Johnson in charge. But there are certainly better managers out there. If we don’t trust Venkys to hire one then everything is an illusion and Mowbray is part of that so it’s a vicious cycle.

Just now, Amo said:

The only manager we could attract is Iain Dowie?

I love how glibly you dismiss the £12m. You don't think the gaffer should bear responsibility for that?

It seems you're more focused on keeping Mowbray in a job than Rovers' long-term future. 

I mentioned Dowie as a joke.

I don't dismiss the £12m - although I think it may well be the case that he was not the instigator of the signing of Brereton - but I don't think sacking him as an act of revenge is the way forward. My view is that the club's financial position and the owners' track record in appointments means that we are best advised to stick - this appears to be a minority view on this board.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DE. said:

I don't necessarily think Mowbray is below Championship standard but he's way, way below playoff standard. Lower mid-table in this division is his ceiling and will be our ceiling for as long as he's here. Could get a lot worse if the taps are turned off and we start selling as we did during Bowyer's final days. 

People were saying that about Groundhog Gaz - who has subsequently gone down to 3rd and then 4th division level.