BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The academy players obviously are important but their existence doesnt strengthen Mowbrays position. These players and the academy would still be here if Mowbray moved on. Since Travis only Buckley and Rankin Costello have been given first team minutes but not with any conviction. Is making best use out of our academy important? Of course. Does it have any relevance to whether Mowbray should stay or go? Not really.

I didn't mention Mowbray in this point but more to the long term future of the club whoever the manager or head coach over the coming years that bring through our academy players season on season is important to the future of the club. You didn't really answer the questions I pose.  I would expect Rankin Costello and Buckley to become 1st team regulars over the next couple of seasons. Would you agree with that? and the money we are spending on the academy that we keep promote the youth that are good enough for the 1st team squad? Do you get to many under 18's and 23's games or just the 1st team games? 

- Gallagher and Brereton are more than "dissappointing" they have massively stunted the potential of this team being a lot further down the line. Once more, Mowbray now seems infactuated with a 433 formation which involves no strikers, playing attacking midfielders as false 9's and strikers as wingers.

Is he playing this 4-3-3 system cos Dack is injured and cos he doesn't think Downing can play in 2 man midfield cos of the way Derby manage to get through our midfielders so easy in that game. 

Did you not see my comments about having Armstrong as number 9 not as a false 9? You ask why I picked Graham in that role and Armstrong wide and I answered that cos of the way Leeds play and that we need a focus point to play off and hold the ball up. 

Who is going to take on Mulgrews wages, especially in a pandemic driven economic climate? He shouldnt have been given such a long contract. Bennett is not good enough even to be a "squad player" his experience doesnt come into any use when he still constantly gives away foul after foul and he is not a competent option in any position. Again sitting on another year contract. We have no wingers and hes not even considered there. Right back? A liability. Central midfield? Cant pass. Left back? Dont make me laugh. And Johnson is practically immobile, a really poor signing and a high earning one at that. No matter who our manager is, our transfer activity would always be hindered at times like these when weve got these players taking up high wages but not up to it on the pitch.

You said the same thing last summer and Wigan took Mulgrew eventually. Didn't someone on here said he had offers from MLS and Australia in January or February but refuse them. 

We aren't going to agree on Bennett but did you not see me agree with Blueblood point on the role that Bennett should be played on. 

We have no idea on what Johnson's wages are so it is speculation and pointless, 

That's why it is important that we have a proper scouting system and data analysis departments doing the work that gone into the recruitment of signings. Something that under these owners hasn't been in place and it cost us millions. They are gems of signings overseas has Brentford or Forest have shown but there is also gems in league 1 who are capable of playing championship football. I quite like 2 centre defenders in the 1st playoff game today but I dont know what they would cost in terms of fees or wages. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I didn't mention Mowbray in this point but more to the long term future of the club whoever the manager or head coach over the coming years that bring through our academy players season on season is important to the future of the club. You didn't really answer the questions I pose.  I would expect Rankin Costello and Buckley to become 1st team regulars over the next couple of seasons. Would you agree with that? and the money we are spending on the academy that we keep promote the youth that are good enough for the 1st team squad? Do you get to many under 18's and 23's games or just the 1st team games? 

Is he playing this 4-3-3 system cos Dack is injured and cos he doesn't think Downing can play in 2 man midfield cos of the way Derby manage to get through our midfielders so easy in that game. 

Did you not see my comments about having Armstrong as number 9 not as a false 9? You ask why I picked Graham in that role and Armstrong wide and I answered that cos of the way Leeds play and that we need a focus point to play off and hold the ball up. 

You said the same thing last summer and Wigan took Mulgrew eventually. Didn't someone on here said he had offers from MLS and Australia in January or February but refuse them. 

We aren't going to agree on Bennett but did you not see me agree with Blueblood point on the role that Bennett should be played on. 

That's why it is important that we have a proper scouting system and data analysis departments doing the work that gone into the recruitment of signings. Something that under these owners hasn't been in place and it cost us millions. They are gems of signings overseas has Brentford or Forest have shown but there is also gems in league 1 who are capable of playing championship football. I quite like 2 centre defenders in the 1st playoff game today but I dont know what they would cost in terms of fees or wages. 

I have never been to any reserve/kids games, of course the young players are important but irrelevant to the topic on Mowbray staying or going. Of course we need them to come through, am I sure that those 2 mentioned will? Not yet, no I am not.

The system has been done apparently to try and get us to control games more. That desire is understandable. The way in which he is attempting to do so is massively flawed to everyone but himself and you dont need a totally revolutionised and unique formation (bizarrely started 9 games before the end of the season) to do that. Firstly, the main reason as I have said that it shouldnt have even been considered is that we have 2 top quality number 10s, and one of our main prospects behind that. You dont make a formation that excludes key players. Secondly, this false 9 bollocks is totally flawed. Certainly, his collection of (all but 1) useless strikers are bad enough in their natural position, stick them out wide and they are 10x worse. 

To be fair, you did say that Bell was on 5k so on that point regarding signing what you guessed to be a cheaper player up for another year, surely it is a little hypocritical to then dismiss Johnson's wages as an unknown? Likewise suggesting that Adarabioyo was signed "to play" but that we were correct to imply to Bauer that he would have a fight on his hands to get into the team?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

You can't predict how young players will turn out, especially when they've only played a handful of games between them. At one point I thought Tiny Taylor and Johanneson were going to be our centre half pairing for years and look what happened to them. I would suggest that both of those two had more potential than Buckley and Rankin-Costello.

word  from my mole at brockhall is that mowbray will definately call it a day after the final game,in his words "i cant get anything out of most of them,i tell them what to do on the training pitch and they do the opposite on match day",mrs m has also stopped making the famed lemon drizzle cake,as tony won`t agree to have an extension on their house,he`s been cutting a disillusioned figure in the last fortnight

• Like 2

On 02/07/2020 at 07:23, JHRover said:

But unavoidable if the owners insist on investing only in attacking players and insist on 'leasing' the defensive positions.

But of course that's just a conspiracy theory. In reality every manager we've had has just not taken the defence seriously.....

Something which does actually point to the conspiracy theory having some merit

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

word  from my mole at brockhall is that mowbray will definately call it a day after the final game,in his words "i cant get anything out of most of them,i tell them what to do on the training pitch and they do the opposite on match day"

So when he tells Gallagher to play in the centre he wanders off to the wing?

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

So does Phil Brown - with Hull.

That must be double figures for the amount of times you’ve mentioned Phil Brown in the last 24 hours. Have you got a confession to make?

21 hours ago, arbitro said:

??

It was called Four Dimensions of Greta and was the first 3D film I saw, not bad for the early seventies. It centred around a Brentford footballer who was a bit of a player (with the women that is) and lots of shots were in the ground. The actor made lots of 'big John centre forward' references as well as mentioning other players from the then Brentford team.

We saw it at the Odeon and as a group of adolescents were giggling through it. The O'Mara mention was the highlight ???.

Hahaha...Look what I found. And listen to the chant at the end!

https://youtu.be/k_Voahxehek

• Like 1