BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You cant say he wasnt approach either then. 

Well if that the case why don't we say that Guardiola, Klopp and Alex Ferguson were approached because to use your logic you can't say they weren't. Dearie me even by your standards that is a poor response.

Edited by Ewood Ace

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wasnt the question tho was it? ?

The most important employee of any football club is the manager.

He makes or breaks a club.

Burnley as a club have been transformed by the money earned in the PL and their success there is all down to Dyche.

A football a manger is therefore worthy of his hire.  Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You cant say he wasnt approach either then. 

It was reported at the time we were looking at 4 managers which were Lambert, Jokanovic, Holloway and Pearson..

Holloway, he's nutty enough for the venkys to like.

50 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Blackburn Rovers is town football club. That's is reality and realistic. 

I'm not sure what you are getting at here.

Yes Blackburn is a town. What relevance is that to the aims, ambitions and prospects of Blackburn Rovers?

Would the granting of city status suddenly transform our club and improve its prospects? 

Were Sunderland and Wolves small clubs and then suddenly became big clubs when they got City status? Are Preston in a higher category to us now? Are Leyton Orient or Salford bigger than us because they are based in big cities rather than a town?

Its all meaningless. Suits those upstairs at Ewood Park to feed it to the fans though.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm not sure what you are getting at here.

Yes Blackburn is a town. What relevance is that to the aims, ambitions and prospects of Blackburn Rovers?

Would the granting of city status suddenly transform our club and improve its prospects? 

Were Sunderland and Wolves small clubs and then suddenly became big clubs when they got City status? Are Preston in a higher category to us now? Are Leyton Orient or Salford bigger than us because they are based in big cities rather than a town?

Its all meaningless. Suits those upstairs at Ewood Park to feed it to the fans though.

Stop mentioning that! Small town JH! SMALL TOWN!

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

sounds like Mowbray is going to shake the squad this transfer window in order to get that top 6 next season

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

as he said last week he has different budget transfer lists for different budgets. I would imagine he is talking to the owners weekly anyway. He could miss could Reading game and fly over to India to meet the owners if that's that what they want. Better way is to use Video Communicating at Ewood Park to the owners and set a budget for the season. 

Let the out of contract players leave after this month apart from possible Downing who has good overall apart from the last 3 games as I said in the summer transfer window thread. Plus other players available for transfers but its look like we will need one of 2 players to sold. Hopefully FFP rules will be relax as UEFA have done. You have your problems with FFP rules but they are there cos clubs wanted them in place. 

Why do you think we are about to shake the squad up? With what money? And how can you trust the man that has left us needing so much work doing on an imbalanced squad considering the poor business done since promotion?

And why do you think we are a normal club? With owners interested enough to be in regular communication and making plans regarding budgets etc. Or being logical enough to not make the manager wait to fly over to India and use a video call instead?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why do you think we are about to shake the squad up? With what money? And how can you trust the man that has left us needing so much work doing on an imbalanced squad considering the poor business done since promotion?

And why do you think we are a normal club? With owners interested enough to be in regular communication and making plans regarding budgets etc. Or being logical enough to not make the manager wait to fly over to India and use a video call instead?

Since they haven't had any choice but to resort to video/phone calls recently maybe they will realise it's quite sufficient. 

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

The most important employee of any football club is the manager.

He makes or breaks a club.

Burnley as a club have been transformed by the money earned in the PL and their success there is all down to Dyche.

A football a manger is therefore worthy of his hire.  Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

If we take away the two big money buys i think Mowbray has done a decent job of sorting Rovers out to be fair. The bigger picture says straight back from league 1, midtable consolidation and what should be higher placed finish this time.  Several youth blooded and a couple of his buys worth a lot more that he paid for them.

All that is in his plus column anybody looking at managers would say that's a reasonable return.  Yes we know when it's analyzed in all its gory detail there's a lot more to it but anybody glancing in from the outside just sees that.

Where its all fell down in the minus column is the two huge money by our standards signings and the fact he clearly hasn't got a scooby what he supposed to be doing with them.  Added in we'll have to assemble a new back line again with no money shows that he really is floundering to actually build a side. 

If he'd started from the back like he should have done two years ago we'd probably still only be midtable again but the base for several seasons to come would be in place.  

For the first time under him i genuinely fear for next season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Look at comment I reply. We dont know what budget we will have. We dont know on FFP being relax. Already explained why I want Mowbray to stay. Look at my comment to Mercer this afternoon. 

No one can currently fly to India to travel restrictions in place. So Mowbray can't go India to meet them

4 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Also I don't expect him to live in a tent on Nuttall Street he can buy himself a nice house in Cheshire with the money he has made in Qatar.

Hold on a minute. We don’t just let anyone into this leafy county you know. There are stringent tests to pass and a committee to bribe..(it’s how we got in)

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

If we take away the two big money buys i think Mowbray has done a decent job of sorting Rovers out to be fair. The bigger picture says straight back from league 1, midtable consolidation and what should be higher placed finish this time.  Several youth blooded and a couple of his buys worth a lot more that he paid for them.

All that is in his plus column anybody looking at managers would say that's a reasonable return.  Yes we know when it's analyzed in all its gory detail there's a lot more to it but anybody glancing in from the outside just sees that.

Where its all fell down in the minus column is the two huge money by our standards signings and the fact he clearly hasn't got a scooby what he supposed to be doing with them.  Added in we'll have to assemble a new back line again with no money shows that he really is floundering to actually build a side. 

If he'd started from the back like he should have done two years ago we'd probably still only be midtable again but the base for several seasons to come would be in place.  

For the first time under him i genuinely fear for next season.

So if he's done a decent job minus blowing a significant amount of our budget on two non-players. If we add that catastrophe into the equation we can assume that he's done a poor job, right?

7 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

So if he's done a decent job minus blowing a significant amount of our budget on two non-players. If we add that catastrophe into the equation we can assume that he's done a poor job, right?

Point was up until he blew that money yes he was doing a good job even if it is frustrating at times with the way he operates. Trouble now is those buys and that money is defining him in reality it's probably an average job as our league position will show.

9 hours ago, JHRover said:

How is he going to do that when he admitted last week he has no idea as to his budget and probably won't do until he goes to India to request it, which is likely to be August?

Even if by some miracle they decide to give him more money to spend, would you seriously have confidence in him using it to get to the top 6 next season given the huge wages he has used up on players he rarely uses?

The aim shouldn't be top 6 anyway, in the same way his aim this season shouldn't have been 70 points. It is setting the bar too low. You aim for automatic promotion then take the top 6 as a consolation if that can't be achieved. You reckon any of the managers currently in the top 6 started the season aiming for 3rd to 6th?

Agreed but setting a target of 70 points is completely pointless anyway as I can't remember the last time that figure got anyone into the play offs, the figure is usually at least 74 or 75.

Who on earth sets a target of finishing just outside the play offs? I'm sure Mowbray was aware of what he was saying and it just goes to emphasise how he is taking everyone and the owners for fools by doing the bare minimum, muddling along and keeping himself and his coaching staff and the majority of his squad in a long term job.

If he wasn't aware that 70 points doesn't secure a play off place then that merely serves to underline his incompetence and the fact that he was never really serious about aiming for promotion in the first place.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, RoverDom said:

Holloway, he's nutty enough for the venkys to like.

Came, had a listen and fooked off again.

One of the most overated managers of modern times though so nowt lost i don't think.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Point was up until he blew that money yes he was doing a good job even if it is frustrating at times with the way he operates. Trouble now is those buys and that money is defining him in reality it's probably an average job as our league position will show.

Well that £12m + wages is going to define his time here. It'll be the reason we have to sell promising players and why we haven't been able to reinforce areas of weakness.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Well that £12m + wages is going to define his time here. It'll be the reason we have to sell promising players and why we haven't been able to reinforce areas of weakness.

That 12million,  the shambles in selling our keeper and ending up with Walton, and the inability to bring in a decent centre half in 6 transfer windows are the big failings.

The latter was plugged by loaning Tosin, but the £12 mill will really be the defining factor.  In an effort to try and make it not look like the disaster it is, the two players in question have been shoehorned into the side out wide, whilst superior players have been dropped. The first mistake was spending the money on duds, the second was constantly weakening the side to play them.

We got told last summer to give Mowbray another year and next season will be better for Brereton. The same suspects will now give the same spiel once again.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 7

56 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

True but if he sold 12 million worth of players he's covering his mistakes somewhat financially and in their eyes that'll probably earn him more kudos. 

Those people worried that the next manager could leave us worse off next season.

Tell me, what is worse off than relegation? As that is exactly where I think we'll be with Mowbray. Especially with this off-season of confusion.

Add another Poll - where would Rovers finish next season if they kept Mowbray... my vote would be bottom 3. Anyone voting top 6 needs a psychology evaluation.

• Like 2

I think, correct me if I am wrong, that we are now at 1 win in 8 games and 5 wins in 20 games. With three very tough ones up next I expect that to be extended. For us to have been in the thick of the play off chase up until this dreadful week despite pretty poor form prior to it highlights what this league is all about - any side that has any degree of consistency will at some stage or another be in the play off race. When you only need to hit 6th the reality is anyone in the mid range of this league will be close to it at stages of the season.

Other than the impressive Bristol City victory (which in hindsight is less impressive than first thought as they are in freefall) we have been really poor now for some time, and attempts at blaming it on player absences, Covid 19 or a tough run of games don't cut it.

In a normal world of a multi-million pound business there would be a thorough examination of these patterns, their causes and consequences.

At the very least I would expect to see the manager project an image of someone under significant pressure to turn results around and yet listening to him other than odd snippets he really gives no indication that he is concerned very much about results or that there is any pressure at all from upstairs to rectify it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18561970.dack-mowbrays-mind-rovers-suffer-another-injury/

Mowbrays moaning about not having Dack fit to take them chances yesterday. Understandable but also not an excuse considering that weve spent as much as we have on our forward line.

"Quality takes those chances"

Classic Mowbray foot in mouth. He gets better and better and got a few laughs from this one.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

"Quality takes those chances"

Classic Mowbray foot in mouth. He gets better and better and got a few laughs from this one.

Inspirational. I bet Gally can’t wait to get back out there.

• Like 1