BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

I find it hard to sit here and call for Mowbray out since I really like the man, think he's a good guy and value a lot of things he's done for the club, though I find my enduring yet wavering faith in him is rather out of the hope that he'll get it right rather than the belief that he will.

I know transfers have been hit and miss, though I think he's got more right than he has wrong as I'm of the belief, for example, that there's a player in Brererton and he will come good (probably with better coaching), despite Gallagher looking like he isn't going to make it to anywhere near the value paid for him (frustrating how can a 6'4 striker can be so lightweight).  I do think he fluffed up with Raya, particularly his treatment of him in the press etc, something he has been doing, to my disdain, with Nyambe and maybe even others, quick to throw players under the bus for his tactical/coaching failings.  I do think there's a pretty good squad that's been assembled, that could almost certainly have done better and will do better under more astute guidance.

Though there are some holes and issues in the squad that he's failed to address in his time here, often attempting to fill the gaps with loans.  I do worry for next season when having to replace a player of Adarabioyo's quality in an already leaky defence, and the likelihood he'll persevere with players like Bennett who simply aren't good enough.  And I guess this is the crux of it, do I believe that he will be able to find the answers when he hasn't done previously?  Likely not.  Though the majority of my concerns are not necessarily with the personnel, but with tactics and man management of players.

Whilst his formations and starting lineups have sometimes worked, they've often left a lot to be desired, but it's in his substitutions that I take most issue with.  Often, they seem like he's already planned them out and isn't actually making a change to the benefit of the team based on the game in front of him, rarely making a reactive decision to what's going on on the field, but rather following his own pre-written plan.  I've seen this numerous times when chasing a game and he's replaced a centre midfielder or more attacking player with a similar or more defensive player, or a striker for a striker, a real lack of incisiveness or innovation.

This last issue was confounded for me vs Millwall, when we are 1-0 down, needing a win if we are to have any chance of making play-offs, and he substitutes two centre midfielders in the 81st minute for... two centre midfielders.  We had a striker in Brererton on the bench but he obviously wanted to give him the two fingers in retaliation for his previous dismissal, and instead put on Buckley and Davenport, probably because he'd already planned it, something I've seen him do with Buckley in an almost identical situation.  For me, that seems petty and shows a complete disregard for the game in front of him.  Seemed he had no intention of going for the win, arguably not even for the draw.

I'm hesitant in calling for his sacking due to the slim chance of us actually employing anyone better due to who we have behind the scenes, but at this point, I'm at a loss.  We need to push for promotion, at least for the top six.  Do I think we will do that with Tony Mowbray in charge?  Sadly not.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Amo said:

How did it go for Mowbray at Celtic and Coventry?

Scott Brown “I had Tony Mowbray as a manager – that was a crisis. We’re playing well now but back then we weren’t playing any football whatsoever and the crowds were down to 15,000-20,000"

Quite how he got Celtic crowds down to below 20K is unknown to this day.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Scott Brown “I had Tony Mowbray as a manager – that was a crisis. We’re playing well now but back then we weren’t playing any football whatsoever and the crowds were down to 15,000-20,000"

Quite how he got Celtic crowds down to below 20K is unknown to this day.

6 forwards on the pitch at one time I've read somewhere.

Meanwhile someone on the LT saying he's signed 10 attacking players since he's been here.

You'd think with such bold ambitious football the crowds there and here would have been climbing not receding.

Something doesn't add up, not Tony's fault though his clubs are perennially at a crossroads every summer,.....

As I've been clear on here before, I'm in the Mowbray to stay camp, but I've also accepted there's plenty of room for further improvement.

I genuinely do think that this season would have been a more successful one had we had a bit more luck with injuries. Yes that's not the only reason and there's other criticisms that can be fairly levelled, but hear me out.

Obviously there's Dack; our best player for 3 years, top scorer in his time here. Any team would miss a player like that, the focal point of our offensive game. When he got injured we were pushing 6th, albeit in that game itself we weren't pulling up trees. Of course it's too simplistic to say we'd have got 6th had he stayed fit, but for sure we'd have had a better chance.

Moving on, some above queried why didn't we go out & buy a replacement? Well, we already had one in Holtby; not an identikit replacement but a good, competent number 10. Why would he buy another one, which would leave him open to suggestions of not being confident in Holtby, especially with Buckley on the fringes too? Holtby in fact slotted in quite well and it looked like we could then continue to improve without Dack. 

But then he got injured too which is hugely unfortunate given that the team was built on playing with a number 10. With Buckley proving to be not quite ready for that kind of crucial role week in week out, we were left short in that respect but most teams would on losing 2 players in the same position.

Then there's Evans. Ok, I know he has his detractors; I've been amongst them. But he was looking like a main player for us again this season & put in some really strong performances alongside Travis, linking play effectively from front to back, especiallyaround the turn of the year when top 6 was achievable. But then he too, shortly afterwards, suffered a horrific, hugely unfortunate injury. Cue more disruption in a central area resulting in an over-reliance on certain individuals (especially Travis). Even after lockdown, Evans comes back fit, starts, puts in a top performance v Bristol but then breaks his big toe; even for someone with his injury record, this is quite some achievement!

Then look at Cunningham. We were all crying out for a new, top half Championship standard left back who could perform consistently well both defensively& offensively. He came and was looking exactly that, just what we needed. Yet come October he too gets injured & is out for the season. Bell deputises, with mixed results (being generous), but then he too also gets injured. Williams, 3rd choice LB, then also gets injured, with neither of them being available for the crucial 9 match run-in. 

So then we see Bennett & JRC playing there, which would never have happened but for 3 players suffering medium to long term injuries. You can be pretty sure that Bennett's game time would've been far less had LB not been such a problem position through mid & long term injuries.

Other short term injuries from time to time, such as those seen with Lenihan & Nyambe, are what you expect in a season, perhaps with 1 longer term one thrown in. To suffer what we have, to players in such key positions can only be considered very bad luck. To have so many players injured in 2-3 positions which are key to the overall effectiveness of the team could not have been predicted or planned for.

I can hear people now saying this is just excuses, injuries are part of football etc., which I accept is true. But these are nevertheless facts / events beyond TM's control; not the only ones admittedly, there's more to it than that and there have been disappointments elsewhere, but they're true nonetheless. As a consequence I think that's good reason to cut TM some slack for this season and allow him the chance to further develop the squad, get Dack back, another LB, hopefully for BB and / or Gallagher to step up and push for a top 6 berth more aggressively. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Injures are part of football, and losing your talisman will undoubtedly have a negative impact on the team.

However, that’s why you have a squad, and a budget. £12 million on forwards should have given us the depth to cope with his absence, but with that enormous amount of money (for a club like us) wasted, then the buck stops with the manager for the poor form post January.

But our injuries weren't par of the course. I think that is what Atko was getting at.

To lose Dack and Holtby long to medium term was bad enough, to lose all 3 left backs in the squad was even worse. There was a time when this messageboard was very sympathetic towards Mowbray's injury problems. Over time that has changed to "well, he should have forward thought".

I think it was about Feb / March time when our injuries were at their peak. I genuinely thought the break would see us through but results since then have been awful.

Any team losing the amount of players we did this season would struggle. Lenihan has had time out, Evans, Dack, Holtby, Cunningham - they are the spine of the team really, or at least our better players, and we never really got to grips with replacing them.

None of this takes away from the very real criticism of Mowbray's tactics or squad rotation but it does go a certain way to explaining some of our poor results. Some won't see it that way, the clamour for Mowbray out is well and truly underway but one thing I feel like needs to be kept repeating is that everyone else was surprised by the clubs aim for play offs this season. Most of us seemed content with a mid-table finish if I remember correctly, but the club decided to up the ante and have failed to deliver. I don't really think that is just enough reason to sack him though but then again we aren't living in normal times and, where this season the expectation would be to build on the last two seasons, finances will more than likely see us selling rather than buying. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Injures are part of football, and losing your talisman will undoubtedly have a negative impact on the team.

However, that’s why you have a squad, and a budget. £12 million on forwards should have given us the depth to cope with his absence, but with that enormous amount of money (for a club like us) wasted, then the buck stops with the manager for the poor form post January.

Spot on, when you've spent £12m on attacking options, then you literally CANNOT used DACKs injury as an excuse.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

As I've been clear on here before, I'm in the Mowbray to stay camp, but I've also accepted there's plenty of room for further improvement.

I genuinely do think that this season would have been a more successful one had we had a bit more luck with injuries. Yes that's not the only reason and there's other criticisms that can be fairly levelled, but hear me out.

Obviously there's Dack; our best player for 3 years, top scorer in his time here. Any team would miss a player like that, the focal point of our offensive game. When he got injured we were pushing 6th, albeit in that game itself we weren't pulling up trees. Of course it's too simplistic to say we'd have got 6th had he stayed fit, but for sure we'd have had a better chance.

Moving on, some above queried why didn't we go out & buy a replacement? Well, we already had one in Holtby; not an identikit replacement but a good, competent number 10. Why would he buy another one, which would leave him open to suggestions of not being confident in Holtby, especially with Buckley on the fringes too? Holtby in fact slotted in quite well and it looked like we could then continue to improve without Dack. 

But then he got injured too which is hugely unfortunate given that the team was built on playing with a number 10. With Buckley proving to be not quite ready for that kind of crucial role week in week out, we were left short in that respect but most teams would on losing 2 players in the same position.

There's a few things that undermine this. 1) Holtby wasn't out that long, 2) Holtby has been available throughout the return period and we have played a stupid false 9 formation instead and 3) losing your best player is going to have an impact as you say. Adjusting for this (for which there was plenty of time) doesn't necessarily mean getting a like for like replacement. Maybe we could have replaced Dack's goals with an improved defence bringing in a defender to equally lessen what we conceed, or a striker who was more clinical. Sure keep the formation but that doesn't mean adjustments for Dack being out cannot be made in other ways. 

Then there's Evans. Ok, I know he has his detractors; I've been amongst them. But he was looking like a main player for us again this season & put in some really strong performances alongside Travis, linking play effectively from front to back, especiallyaround the turn of the year when top 6 was achievable. But then he too, shortly afterwards, suffered a horrific, hugely unfortunate injury. Cue more disruption in a central area resulting in an over-reliance on certain individuals (especially Travis). Even after lockdown, Evans comes back fit, starts, puts in a top performance v Bristol but then breaks his big toe; even for someone with his injury record, this is quite some achievement!

Again Evans' injury record is exceptionally well known. Sure one of them was unfortunate and not due to being injury prone but he consistently has been injured throughout his time here as post lockdown has shown. Relying on someone with such a terrible injury record is asking for trouble. In fact it's plain stupid. This point also ignores the fact Johnson was brought in to be the midfield partner of Travis and has tanked at it. So whatever way you look at it, this is the manager's fault for relying on a sicknote and/or buying a dud alternative. 

Then look at Cunningham. We were all crying out for a new, top half Championship standard left back who could perform consistently well both defensively& offensively. He came and was looking exactly that, just what we needed. Yet come October he too gets injured & is out for the season. Bell deputises, with mixed results (being generous), but then he too also gets injured. Williams, 3rd choice LB, then also gets injured, with neither of them being available for the crucial 9 match run-in. 

I agree the Cunningham injury was bad fortune. However we never replaced him even with ample time. It also ignores that Williams was our cover for centre back too, so if one of our centre backs had got injured we would have still had a hole in the defence because the manager did not have adequate defensive cover. 

So then we see Bennett & JRC playing there, which would never have happened but for 3 players suffering medium to long term injuries. You can be pretty sure that Bennett's game time would've been far less had LB not been such a problem position through mid & long term injuries.

This is horse manure to put it bluntly. Sorry that's harsh but it feels like a complete rewriting of how Bennett has been handled by TM. Remember Bennett played the last game because Nayambe "had played a lot of football." Nothing to do with the injury situation but forcing his golden boy into the team at any cost. The idea that Bennett has only played as much as he has because of injuries is laughable. Further evidence of this is that Downing did a decent job at lb (and I thought JRC looked ok there too) but Bennett has been played there ahead of both of them on several occasions. 

Other short term injuries from time to time, such as those seen with Lenihan & Nyambe, are what you expect in a season, perhaps with 1 longer term one thrown in. To suffer what we have, to players in such key positions can only be considered very bad luck. To have so many players injured in 2-3 positions which are key to the overall effectiveness of the team could not have been predicted or planned for.

Apart from the January transfer window. Plenty of time to rectify it there. Or having adequate defensive cover. Or not relying on a permanent crock in Evans. Plenty of ways we could have improved planning or predicted elements of our misfortune. 

I can hear people now saying this is just excuses, injuries are part of football etc., which I accept is true. But these are nevertheless facts / events beyond TM's control; not the only ones admittedly, there's more to it than that and there have been disappointments elsewhere, but they're true nonetheless. As a consequence I think that's good reason to cut TM some slack for this season and allow him the chance to further develop the squad, get Dack back, another LB, hopefully for BB and / or Gallagher to step up and push for a top 6 berth more aggressively. 

Again two issues with this. Firstly other than blind hope what makes you think Gally or Ben will step up, they have been absymal. There's very little evidence whatsoever that they can step up. I don't think we should be giving TM more time because these guys may come good, as they very much look like they won't. 

Secondly even if all of this is accepted (and I think I have made a decent case for why it shouldn't be) what about all the other errors? Gally on the wing. Midfielders as a false 9. The terrible transfers of players such as Walton. The tombola selections. The non scoring strikers. The bottling it whenever we are near to the playoffs. The struggles TM has against teams when we are clear favourites. There's a hell of a lot of issues on top of the ones in your post, even if you can excuse them. 

• Like 8

....and just to make my day , in today’s Telegraph, 

“MOWBRAY HAPPY TO LEAD ROVERS INTO THE NEXT PHASE OF THE JOURNEY “

There is NO light at the end of the tunnel , in fact I no longer believe there’s a tunnel.Can it get any worse ?..that’s me , over and out .

Of course we had injury problems, Dreams, but trying to make out it was just bad luck we couldn’t possibly deal with doesn’t wash. 

We lost Cunningham (who played a handful of games) in October, ample chance to bring in a replacement. Bell and Bennett are not Championship quality.

Dack was injured before the January window opened. 

Holtby is a well known crock, you take a risk in his signing, then injuries for him are par for the course, yet lockdown meant he actually missed relatively few games post Dack.

We have signed copious amounts of central midfielders, so Evans (another crock), whose form has always been inconsistent missing 15 or so games shouldn’t be fatal.

The others are niggles. But as we do not buy defensive players, then of course we will always be on the verge of a crisis. You also can’t bemoan bad luck when perennially injured players continue to get injured.

Why didn’t we reinforce in January? A team with real aspirations for the top 6 would’ve done just that. It is fairly obvious that the £12 million undoubtably meant we had no wriggle room budget wise, so that kind of goes back to TM’s poor signings and a lopsided squad he has put together.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

• Moderation Lead
20 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Spot on, when you've spent £12m on attacking options, then you literally CANNOT used DACKs injury as an excuse.

I think this is the thing that drives me mad about blaming injuries. They wouldn’t be such an issue if the manager hadn’t spent all our money on two players that have contributed very little to the cause. We wouldn’t have missed Dack or Holtby at all if Brereton and Gallagher had scored regularly....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Atko's Engine said:

All excuses aside, two yes or no questions. Are you happy with our football ? Are you willing to pay for the same next season?

4 minutes ago, rigger said:

All excuses aside, two yes or no questions. Are you happy with our football ? Are you willing to pay for the same next season?

That's the bottom line in my opinion, is the football on show at the moment -  1) Worth watching 2) Likely to get us promoted ? I'd say no on both counts.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's the bottom line in my opinion, is the football on show at the moment -  1) Worth watching 2) Likely to get us promoted ? I'd say no on both counts.

No on both count for me, but funnily enough promotion to the VAR league is not as high on my wish list as it used to be. For question 2 , I would settle for exciting football.

17 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course we had injury problems, Dreams, but trying to make out it was just bad luck we couldn’t possibly deal with doesn’t wash. 

We lost Cunningham (who played a handful of games) in October, ample chance to bring in a replacement. Bell and Bennett are not Championship quality.

Dack was injured before the January window opened. 

Holtby is a well known crock, you take a risk in his signing, then injuries for him are par for the course, yet lockdown meant he actually missed relatively few games post Dack.

We have signed copious amounts of central midfielders, so Evans (another crock), whose form has always been inconsistent missing 15 or so games shouldn’t be fatal.

The others are niggles. But as we do not buy defensive players, then of course we will always be on the verge of a crisis. You also can’t bemoan bad luck when perennially injured players continue to get injured.

Why didn’t we reinforce in January? A team with real aspirations for the top 6 would’ve done just that. It is fairly obvious that the £12 million undoubtably meant we had no wriggle room budget wise, so that kind of goes back to TM’s poor signings and a lopsided squad he has put together.

Not having money for defensive signings is a trend spanning longer than Mowbray's time here. I keep referring to a brilliant topic on this board which showed our spend on defenders compared to attackers since Venky's came - there isn't even a comparison. It is becoming abundantly clear that money is not there for centre halves, for whatever reason. This again is an issue which extends way above our domestic management team, if you will, and appears to be a direct policy of our funders / owners.

I don't think it would have been wise to sign a replacement for Dack. We had Holtby and Buckley, but nobody expected both of them to face injuries / knocks too. You bring a player in and then over the course of the season when Holtby comes back that player is a wasted wage. It's a very difficult thing to comprehend as a supporter, as we don't see the finances, but signing a player in January might have been the difference between not signing a player in summer. I'm not absolving any blame here but I don't think it is as black and white as what it is being made out.

We still have some deadwood and if we had a healthy budget I'd trust Mowbray again to try and give us that extra push to play offs. I don't suspect we will have much money to spend and that would probably push me more to getting a manager who is more known for getting the best out of what he has.

I think we could have dealt with our squad injuries a little better, and tried a few more of the youth rather than sticking with tried-and-failed players shoehorned into unnatural positions, but I don't think our injuries should just be cast aside when discussing why we didn't achieve the aims the club set out. Once again though, I don't think any fan expected this squad to reach the play offs this season, it was only when Mowbray came out and said that was the aim that we thought about it. In that respect, he's made his own problem.

• Like 2

I think he will always find a way to limit us. He has his strengths, for sure, but the weaknesses he has don't seem fixable. 

He said the other day that he thinks players got carried away with the talk of the play-offs after beating Bristol city. That's on nobody but him. A top manager simply does not allow that to happen, even if bigger prizes are involved. It doesn't reflect well on our lot. Getting carried away with themselves before they had achieved anything. Mowbray gave the same "excuse" last season. How can anyone expect us to go up under him if his team can't even deal with the excitement of being just outside the play offs, let alone actually in the play off positions. Automatic promotion? He wouldn't even prepare the team for that outcome.

We could sneak into the play offs with him, but at this point I don't see any way we will go up under him. 

• Like 2

?
2 hours ago, tomphil said:

6 forwards on the pitch at one time I've read somewhere.

Meanwhile someone on the LT saying he's signed 10 attacking players since he's been here.

You'd think with such bold ambitious football the crowds there and here would have been climbing not receding.

Something doesn't add up, not Tony's fault though his clubs are perennially at a crossroads every summer,.....

Without checking I think Celtic lost that match 4-0 

One of my favourites is Mowbrays classic "I build football clubs" and the very recent "I know where our inconsistency comes from'' or something like that. So do I matey!

Any other manager that we have ever had, ok maybe not King Kenney, would get pelters of sorts for lines like but someone The Legend is immune.

I can accept it more and more based on the belief that he's a barn pot.

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think fans are just afraid and apprehensive about how wrong things could quickly go if they got the next appointment wrong. I mean it is a genuine fear.  

Absolutely that's the only thing for me that makes me not gutted that TM isn't gone. Not saying he is a good manager but being run by a substandard agency does mean replacing him well will be nigh on impossible. Venkys and the horror show previously are probably key reasons why he is popular with elements of the fan base too. 

In a normal club, or Rovers pre Venkys, everyone would want him out. Look at the stick Sam got for doing a much better job. It always comes down to Venkys and the effect they have on us, one of which is the erosion of standards. 

• Like 2