BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

Disagree. Brentford's wage bill for the same period was £19m, they were a Raya fumble away from the Prem. Ours wage bill was £23m. Of course finance can be a key factor but it isn't everything. When Burnley first got promoted under Dyche they had one of the lowest wage bills in the Championship. 

https://financialfootballnews.com/brentford-fcs-2019-finances-scouting-profits/

To be fair I don't think Mowbray has done a bad job. The squad is worth a lot more than when he started and two mid-table Championship finishes are pretty reasonable considering we have a mid-table wage bill.

My argument is that we need someone in charge who can do more with the available resources. That means getting a better manager. It's up to the club to find one, because IMO Mowbray will never punch above his weight on the resources available to him and get us in the Top 6, let alone promoted.

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 5

You want to all put the Budget League Championship to one side and relax like me. 

I’m content enough bobbing around the top half, because I know we are going to be bankrolled to the promised land as soon as FFP is scrapped... the owners are DESPERATE to invest in the team’, remember!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Disagree. Brentford's wage bill for the same period was £19m, they were a Raya fumble away from the Prem. Ours wage bill was £23m. Of course finance can be a key factor but it isn't everything. When Burnley first got promoted under Dyche they had one of the lowest wage bills in the Championship. 

https://financialfootballnews.com/brentford-fcs-2019-finances-scouting-profits/

Brentford have spent £30m this season I read somewhere, they brought a few quid in also, but thats massive by championship standards, Leeds have done the same.

I bet Mowbray wished he could sell the current squad for 30m and then spend it again!

You'll always find exceptions to the rule, cherry pick certain clubs, but for every 1 club you provide I'll give you 10 that don't fit the narrative and we are one of them with or without Mowbray.

Just now, Gav said:

Brentford have spent £30m this season I read somewhere, they brought a few quid in also, but thats massive by championship standards, Leeds have done the same.

I bet Mowbray wished he could sell the current squad for 30m and then spend it again!

You'll always find exceptions to the rule, cherry pick certain clubs, but for every 1 club you provide I'll give you 10 that don't fit the narrative and we are one of them with or without Mowbray.

You seem to be throwing figures out without reference to links. I've backed up my arguments. A better manager does more with less. That narrative is well-established in football and has been for decades. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Gav said:

They thought of giving Mowbray £30 million to spend fills me with dread.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

“Craig (Honeyman) I’ve got 30 million, yeah I know they’re stupid they keep giving me more money, anyways about that shit goalie you have how much am I bidding for him”?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

You seem to be throwing figures out without reference to links. I've backed up my arguments. A better manager does more with less. That narrative is well-established in football and has been for decades. 

Here is a link to spending:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-brentford/transfers/verein/1148

How many 'better managers' have done more with less in recent times? Once you've answered that and probably given me Warnock and Wilder more recently, I'll give you 10 that haven't.

The pool of managers around at the moment is probably the worst I can ever remember, either that or money is a much bigger factor than it once was, I think its a bit of both. 

24 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Rest easy TS, it won't be happening, I can assure you of that :tu:

Just now, Gav said:

Here is a link to spending:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-brentford/transfers/verein/1148

How many 'better managers' have done more with less in recent times? Once you've answered that and probably given me Warnock and Wilder more recently, I'll give you 10 that haven't.

The pool of managers around at the moment is probably the worst I can ever remember, either that or money is a much bigger factor than it once was, I think its a bit of both. 

It's not about numbers, it's about finding a manager who can do more with less. You said it wasn't possible. You're now admitting it is. 

We were on about wages, not transfer spends. And if you dig a bit deeper you'll see they sold players for £36m, so they effectively spent minus £5m.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Dyche at Burnley is the outstanding example. Both David Moyes at Everton and Mark Hughes at Rovers who did wonders with comparatively little money to spend another. Both went on to manage bigger clubs and failed and never really recovered ie more money meant less success!

Dyche is wise to stay where he is!

I realise I've changed tack slightly but its an interesting discussion.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

It's not about numbers, it's about finding a manager who can do more with less. You said it wasn't possible. You're now admitting it is. 

We were on about wages, not transfer spends. And if you dig a bit deeper you'll see they sold players for £36m, so they effectively spent minus £5m.

The original point was around sacking Mowbray for someone better, You’re looking for someone who can do more with less, I agree with you, that’s what we need.

Can you name me someone who can bring that illusive quality to Ewood? Because if you want Mowbray out, you need a replacement. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gav said:

The original point was around sacking Mowbray for someone better, You’re looking for someone who can do more with less, I agree with you, that’s what we need.

Can you name me someone who can bring that illusive quality to Ewood? Because if you want Mowbray out, you need a replacement. 

That's the club's job. In the last few years Huddersfield found one. Burnley found one. Sheff Utd found one. Brentford found one.  Norwich found one. etc etc 

Every manager is a gamble. Rovers need to widen their search away from the mediocrity of Lambert, Bowyer, Appleton, Mowbray etc. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gav said:

Dean Smith.

16 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

That's the club's job. In the last few years Huddersfield found one. Burnley found one. Sheff Utd found one. Brentford found one.  Norwich found one. etc etc 

Every manager is a gamble. Rovers need to widen their search away from the mediocrity of Lambert, Bowyer, Appleton, Mowbray etc. 

You're quite right its the clubs job and they seem to think we're better of with Mowbray, I happen to agree with them simply because I can't find anyone who could replace him and get us promoted, in fact I can see one of two that would probably send us the other way!

If we'd had a terrible season, flirted with relegation i could see the benefits of bringing in a new man, but we haven't, its steady away and nothing wrong with that for now.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 3

Just now, Gav said:

You're quite right its the clubs job and they seem to think we're better of with Mowbray, I happen to agree with them simply because I can't find anyone who could replace him and get us promoted, in fact I can see one of two that would probably send us the other way!

Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they are not out there. But it's good you're agreeing with Venky's, and that they're making the right decisions and not just going for a cheap unemployed manager every time ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they are not out there. But it's good you're agreeing with Venky's, and that they're making the right decisions and not just going for a cheap unemployed manager every time ?

Keeping up the comedy theme I see :D

Edited by Gav

1 hour ago, Gav said:

If we'd had a terrible season, flirted with relegation i could see the benefits of bringing in a new man, but we haven't, its steady away and nothing wrong with that for now.

So you're happy with mediocrity then.

Good to know.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

So you're happy with mediocrity then.

Good to know.

I can see the bigger picture and it doesn't involve poaching Aston Villas manager :lol:

• Like 1