BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

11 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Paul Ince was once that - so is Frank Lampard as was Mourinho !

Genuinely, who would you suggest? - if Rovers want to hire me as a consultant I would happily oblige and I am 99% certain I would improve on any of Kean, Berg, Appleton, Bowyer, Lambert, Coyle and Mowbray etc.  Don't buy into all the sh1t that there is no one better than Mowbray out there. 

19 minutes ago, Mercer said:

IMO, Mowbray just doesn't get the best from what we have and hasn't got that steely winning mentality.

Listening to the interviews last night from Holden and Mowbray, Holden was so upbeat and positive - their bottom line objective is top 2 whilst, IMO, Mowbray's objective is to challenge for top 6.

Injuries don't wash - that was a very strong starting 11 last night.  Sadly, IMO, Mowbray did not set us up right and his substitutions were baffling to me.

Sick of feckin saying it - we need a young, hungry and innovative manager who, I am pretty certain, would get a far better tune out of the payers we have at Rovers. 

I think we could do a lot better than Mowbray but we were the better team for the first hour so don't agree he didn't set us up right.

We got into a number of promising positions only for the PLAYERS to take the wrong option.We had more possession, more corners, more shots, more shots on target.

Mowbray has a lot of faults but he can't be blamed for our players under hitting passes in promising positions or other players taking shots on when a team mate Is in a better and more dangerous position.

Il agree the subs were not good and did nothing for us but Mowbray set us up ok as the statistics show

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I think we could do a lot better than Mowbray but we were the better team for the first hour so don't agree he didn't set us up right.

We got into a number of promising positions only for the PLAYERS to take the wrong option.We had more possession, more corners, more shots, more shots on target.

Mowbray has a lot of faults but he can't be blamed for our players under hitting passes in promising positions or other players taking shots on when a team mate Is in a better and more dangerous position.

Il agree the subs were not good and did nothing for us but Mowbray set us up ok as the statistics show

This is where I have to disagree with you.

Mowbray signs players, sells players and selects a starting eleven from his squad.

It is HIS SELECTIONS who take the wrong options, under hit the passes and take on shots when others who are better placed.  You simply don't sign or select players with such traits. 

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Just spotted Preston 3-0 Boro. Warnock working wonders 😶

Or another way of looking at it is Warnock took over in June from the relegation places and he’s got them one point behind Tony “slow build” Tombola.

Now pure conjecture but I’d wager Warnock is furious today, a man to be avoided. Mowbray will no doubt be handing out the mince pies because they tried and we have injuries. 

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

This is where I have to disagree with you.

Mowbray signs players, sells players and selects a starting eleven from his squad.

It is HIS SELECTIONS who take the wrong options, under hit the passes and take on shots when others who are better placed.  You simply don't sign or select players with such traits. 

So Mowbray should have dropped Armstrong last night?Holtby should have been left out?Those were the main 2 who let us down last night.

Gallagher had performed well enough of late to be included, he should have been brought off for Dolan though.

Mowbray set us up fine last night the stats don't lie,our attacking players where off form along with Holtby.

58 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Sick of feckin saying it - we need a young, hungry and innovative manager who, I am pretty certain, would get a far better tune out of the payers we have at Rovers. 

If you're sick of saying it how do you think readers feel?  There is an option to stop.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Are you expecting us to win pretty much every game in the new year ‘when we get Dack and Trav back’? Seems like half the board are.

Of course, take last season for example.

We only won 35% of games without Bradley Dack.

This jumped to a whopping 39% of games with him 😂

• Like 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55245689

Article about Lennon and Celtic, but the few bits on TM are not flattering. In particular the slow build approach. As others have said, it's not taken Warnock that long at Boro to get them to a comparable place. 

He's not terrible, he really isn't, he's just a decent manager which is why we will remain midtable.  

2 hours ago, Blue blood said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55245689

Article about Lennon and Celtic, but the few bits on TM are not flattering. In particular the slow build approach. As others have said, it's not taken Warnock that long at Boro to get them to a comparable place. 

He's not terrible, he really isn't, he's just a decent manager which is why we will remain midtable.  

Yeah I read that earlier. I’m not a Neil Lennon fan but I smiled at his quote in relation to Mowbray’s ‘project’ at Celtic. “Don’t talk to me about projects, that’s something my daughter would do at school” 😂😂😂

Far to many people on this thread have backed themselves into a corner, it started back in the promotion season when 90% wanted him gone in October, we ended up getting promoted, clueless majority.

Some of the football in 1st half last night was the best football I’ve seen us play in years. One touch, quick, decisive, tremendous at times, a level above in fact. 

If posters can’t see the progress we’ve made this season you don’t understand the game.

Mowbray has us going places, if we can keep the squad injury free we’ve a chance of making the playoffs, a tremendous achievement on a crap budget.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Gav said:

Far to many people on this thread have backed themselves into a corner, it started back in the promotion season when 90% wanted him gone in October, we ended up getting promoted, clueless majority.

Some of the football in 1st half last night was the best football I’ve seen us play in years. One touch, quick, decisive, tremendous at times, a level above in fact. 

If posters can’t see the progress we’ve made this season you don’t understand the game.

Mowbray has us going places, if we can keep the squad injury free we’ve a chance of making the playoffs, a tremendous achievement on a crap budget.

He’s been backed pretty well to be fair. 
If we don’t finish in the top six with how much he’s spent on forwards alone, then as far as I’m concerned, it’s a failure. 
The proof of the pudding is in the eating and that will be served up at the end of the season. There aren’t any prizes given out for pretty football or shots on target. Only for goals scored and points amassed by the end. It’s far too early to be making any permanent judgment calls at this stage.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Gav said:

I think most understand the game enough to understand a league table. Style of play is subjective and for some of that "brilliant" play in yesterdays first half (much of it was backwards and sideways) it created little in the way of meaningful chances.

Until that place is the top 6 as targetted then the questions will always be there and valid. Its not as if we are flying and people are refusing to credit the manager because they previously wanted him out. Crap budget is untrue but a whole new argument, the target is top 6 and we keep falling short. If we ever break into it and people still criticise and moan then you have a point.

The "dont know football" and "dont understand the game" rhetoric is Paul Mani's favourite and is patronising in place of anything more constructive.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I think most understand the game enough to understand a league table. Style of play is subjective and for some of that "brilliant" play in yesterdays first half (much of it was backwards and sideways) it created little in the way of meaningful chances.

The "dont know football" and "dont understand the game" rhetoric is Paul Mani's favourite and is patronising in place of anything more constructive.

Paul is spot on.

You saw sideways and back last night, I saw attacking, one touch quality football, especially in the 1st half.

If we carry on in the same vein we’ll be  playoff contenders, with a budget that pales into insignificance compared to Norwich, Brentford.......

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

Paul is spot on.

You saw sideways and back last night, I saw attacking, one touch quality football, especially in the 1st half.

If we carry on in the same vein we’ll be  playoff contenders, with a budget that pales into insignificance compared to Norwich, Brentford.......

My umbridge is with the assumption that things will just click in regards to results (ultimately results are what is matter) and if we carry on in the same vein surely that will mean continuing to lose to the better sides, beating the lower sides and never developing the consistency to get into never mind stay in the top 6.

Im not having that the play offs would represent an achievement against all the odds or feeding the inferiority complex, Brentford continiously sell players at a profit for a start and I suspect havent spent close to the net outlay that we have. Top 6 is the target as repeatedly and publically stated by the manager and play offs, it would be a very good achievement if we can pull it off but not against all odds as some sort of miracle. Below the top 3 relegated sides none of the other sides above us or around us warrant the David and Goliath narrative.

Its just totally unnecessary to put anyone who is less trusting that carrying as we are will suddenly lead to top 6 level results as not knowing anything about football. I take on board that there are aspects to our play to be excited about compared to previous years and I share those but until results bear them out to at least strongly suggest that we can hit our target then they are superficial, aesthetic and minor ones. There is reason for hope but not to the point of mere assumption that carrying on as we are will make us serious play off contenders. And its not a lack of understanding of the game to doubt that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Paul is spot on.

We created NO clear chances. Not one in the whole 90 minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gav said:

You are listening to the hype Gav.  We are best of the bottom half and worst of the top.  I dont understand what people expect.  Yes, a bit of improvement in terms of football and attacking style....but he has been here 4 years...defence is still shit.

Mowbray out 

• Like 1

I am still quite optimistic we can get in the top six this season and I definitely do feel as a side we have progressed somewhat and are certainly playing a better style of football for sure, that being said though it’s a results business and the main judge of progression is your position in the league table come may, it’s all good when you play sides and there fans or manager say “they’re the best team we’ve faced this season” but if we aren’t sat in the top six come May comments like that mean f**k all... I like Mowbray as a person, he’s just a decent bloke really isn’t he and I’d love nothing more than for him to be the man who gets us back in the prem, but with the money we’ve spent and the time he’s had in the job, if we can’t make the top six this season then I think he’s done. Long way to go yet but for now I’m definitely keeping the faith in this team and the manager, best squad we’ve had in years and playing the best football I’ve seen in years, let’s hope the RESULTS bear fruit. COYB

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 47er said:

We created NO clear chances. Not one in the whole 90 minutes.

I would say Armstrong had a very decent chance when Elliot put him through.And Elliots shot that was blocked by Gallagher was another good chance.And granted it was from a set piece but Ayala should have been getting that header on target.

Rothwell and Elliot aside pure attacking players had an off night.Will agree with Ewood Ace comments about Elliot switching position throughout our matches.He plays best on the right and should be kept there

Edited by islander200