BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

3 hours ago, Gav said:

I loved Mark Hughes time at Ewood, almost brought back the Kenny years, I couldn't wait for the next game to come, superb. As for him coming back, not a chance, he needs money to build a side and wouldn't work with the 3 stooges in Pune, its a pipe dream sadly. 

We have 3 very winnable games coming up, if Mowbray can get 7 points from 3 I'd be more than happy with the current injury crisis, sets us up nicely for the NY.

He's going nowhere, best to get behind him I say.

Even if people want him sacked, lets be honest, there is no real scope for getting behind anyone at the moment now we cannot attend, and even if we could go, people wouldnt be giving him any stick, so no doubts there.

• Backroom

I always found it a little surprising Bowyer's career took such a nosedive when he left here. He generally underachieved here but relative to his experience arguably did fairly well, and must know plenty of people in the game - yet ended up down in League 2 with Blackpool and Bradford before ending up back as an Under-23s coach. His time here seemed to do very little for him as far as his reputation as a manager is concerned. Would it have been different if he'd relegated us in 2013 and then got us back up from League 1? 

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

What's speculation?

His birthday is on Companies House.

The top paid director at Rovers is on £300,000 - that's in the club accounts - the assumption of course is that the highest ranking executive is paid the most. Something very odd going on if he isn't.

He is London based. Only have to look at his career before here to see that and I've heard from multiple sources that he's spent most of the year based at home in the South East. Same people have said he's retiring next year so let's see.

Its also a fact that he's overseen a collapse in our season ticket base. Can dress it up all different ways but the fact is we've got a lot of work to do just to get back to 8500 and its happened on his watch.

You're speculating that he is going to leave, plus the rest. 

I don't see how anything to do with attendance at the games currently is on him. It's an absolutely unprecedent time and it's gonna be interesting to see how many clubs get on with getting fans back.  

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't see how anything to do with attendance at the games currently is on him. It's an absolutely unprecedent time and it's gonna be interesting to see how many clubs get on with getting fans back.  

You do jest surely!

He took the probably unprecedented step of raising prices during a pandemic when it looked likely fans wouldn't be allowed in for a large part of the season! Taking the **** doesn't even begin to describe it.

If he is based in London that is absolutely appalling as well. The very least he could do for his £300k p.a.  is move up here.

The only bit I agree with is that I can't see him retiring any time soon, he's got it far too good. Like Mowbray we're probably stuck with him for the foreseeable. People were ripping the owners off as soon as they came through the door ten years ago and it seems nothing much has changed.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You do jest surely!

He took the probably unprecedented step of raising prices during a pandemic when it looked likely fans wouldn't be allowed in for a large part of the season! Taking the **** doesn't even begin to describe it.

If he is based in London that is absolutely appalling as well. The very least he could do for his £300k p.a.  is move up here.

The only bit I agree with is that I can't see him retiring any time soon, he's got it far too good. Like Mowbray we're probably stuck with him for the foreseeable. People were ripping the owners off as soon as they came through the door ten years ago and it seems nothing much has changed.

I'm not getting in a debate about season tickets, but it's a fact nobody was going to buy many more than were bought anyway. It's a crazy situation to deal with and I don't know any club that's set as the "model" as to the best way this should have been done. 

Personally I just pay for the Ifollow pass as the games come and I don't understand why anyone would do anything else at this point. 

4 hours ago, matt83 said:

I can’t see him retiring. He can retire, live in London and do naff all. Or he can live in London, do naff and have Rovers pay him £300,000 a year. No brainer.

He is actually working around the clock for Rovers.

Folks can criticise his effectiveness but to suggest he is putting in less than 60 hours a week (and often a lot more) is well wide of the mark.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, philipl said:

He is actually working around the clock for Rovers.

Folks can criticise his effectiveness but to suggest he is putting in less than 60 hours a week (and often a lot more) is well wide of the mark.

Well, even if he is doing that, it doesn't seem to be doing us a great deal of good in terms of securing contract extensions for our better players.

If he did retire at the end of next season it would probably be on the back of reducing our core fan base from 10k to 2.5k, letting Nyambe walk on a free and failing to secure the long term futures of Dack/Travis/Armstrong etc

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Certainly see him getting a Sheff Wed/QPR/Millwall/Reading/Birmingham/Huddersfield etc level job.

Have to respectfully disagree. Bowyer was hardly fighting Championship clubs off with a stick after we despatched him, and similarly I see Mowbray only attracting interest from Leagues One and Two. 

No-one else will buy his "On a journey" bullshit.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Stoke have sold 18000 season tickets. We've sold 2500. 

I blame Waggott for that. Not Covid.

Is that 18000 11 Match Season tickets JH??

I was under the impression Stoke were going to refund all season ticket sales and introduce this 11 match Season Ticket with another 11 Match Season ticket sold for the remaining home games ? 

Infact i think even this scheme has been scrapped and all season ticket holders have had their money refunded JH. So i dont think they ve sold any ?

Although the did sell 19000 season tickets last season which was a surprise to me!

Edited by HowieFive0

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

Surprisingly he's 66 according to companies house. By the summer he'll have had 3.5 years here seemingly on £300,000 a year and he'll be 67 or close to it.

I also believe he is London based and spends most of his time there so can't imagine the commute to Blackburn is easy.

He'll also have his ear close to the ground and no doubt time an exit for when the budget gets slashed or his mate runs out of patience with the fanbase.

He'll be well set for a cushy retirement. We'll be picking up the pieces with our 2500 season tickets.

Ridiculous. How can someone living in London know how Rovers fans feel or have any connection with the club? On that kind of salary he could buy himself a nice house in the Ribble valley anyway.... is that too much to expect of someone earning that kind of money??

Waggott (if it is him) needs to leave Ewood asap and replaced by someone who has a genuine love of our club

• Like 2

1 hour ago, martonrover said:

Have to respectfully disagree. Bowyer was hardly fighting Championship clubs off with a stick after we despatched him, and similarly I see Mowbray only attracting interest from Leagues One and Two. 

No-one else will buy his "On a journey" bullshit.

Much more of a name in football than GB, with a decent track record at this level - honestly think a few of you aren’t picking up that he definitely has resurrected his standing in the game.

As I said, is he really worse than Garry Monk who has managed half the league? 

Edited by Mattyblue

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Much more of a name in football than GB, with a decent track record at this level - honestly think a few of you aren’t picking up that he definitely has resurrected his standing in the game.

How has he resurrected his standing in the game...his one successful stint with West Brom was 11 years ago...after that he did nothing at Middlesbrough, was a complete and utter failure at Celtic and then ran Coventry into the ground...was put in charge and couldn't keep us from being relegated and then was second in a weak league 1....done nothing since even with a transfer budget most Championship manager couldn't dream of...if he had honor he would walk as he's stealing his wages

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, onlyoneDuff said:

How has he resurrected his standing in the game...his one successful stint with West Brom was 11 years ago...after that he did nothing at Middlesbrough, was a complete and utter failure at Celtic and then ran Coventry into the ground...was put in charge and couldn't keep us from being relegated and then was second in a weak league 1....done nothing since even with a transfer budget most Championship manager couldn't dream of...if he had honor he would walk as he's stealing his wages

I’m talking about perception within the game, not that I particularly believe he should be a front runner for Championship jobs - but as I said would it be that much of a shock if he trapped up at a Birmingham or QPR?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, onlyoneDuff said:

Have you contacted HRMC 

2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Posted without comment

I’m just glad that we have FFP to make sure that we have a level playing field.

(Or to keep from ever again having a local buy their home town team and making them successful - while upsetting the establishment).

Anything that drives down the ridiculous amount of money player's cost and are paid, seems a good thing to me. Capitalism at its finest is soccer these days and most of it leaves the game and clearly doesn't truly benefit our game.  I'm all for salary caps etc as the sport aspect is just diluted by all the dollars involved. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Yes, a name for failing at Celtic.

I take your point about him being a "name" , but more as a decent player than a decent manager.

His one promotion from this division is ancient history, (followed by immediate relegation), and he hasn't got us anywhere near the promotion pack at the end of any season.

Maybe a small fry in the Championship would entertain hiring him, but no-one with a modicum of ambition.

That rules out many of the clubs you mentioned.

Maybe agree to disagree here. One day we might find out, but for the foreseeable future, our "journey" continues. 

I'm not entirely sure he would easily get another Championship job these days. Plodders like QPR or Birmingham maybe but I think Mowbray would find his hands well and truly tied at those sort of clubs with hands on owners.

I expect it would be a decent League One job for him. Ipswich a likely destination or Hull. Rotherham maybe. 

He'd be a dream for a hands off owner wanting a steady pair of hands and trustworthiness around or an older school Chairman who doesn't want to be bothered with a Director of Football. He certainly wouldn't be an appointment that would get pulses racing anywhere else in the Championship.