BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Can’t help but feel this season is slipping away in what has been a poor campaign so far. I only see one play off place up for grabs as I’m not convinced Reading will last the pace. For us to get that last place we’d have to be almost faultless which is just very unlikely to happen. It will be more of the same - good runs followed by bad runs.

Credit to TM for the job he’s done and the squad he’s built here but he just doesn’t have the nous to get us into the top 6. We are too easy to score against and always have been in his reign here. I don’t see that changing.

It’s all academic though, he’s not getting fired. He will leave when he wants to leave. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Won't that sort of decision been made at ownership level and out of Waggott's hand? 

It should be but they don't know their Arse from their Elbow.As Rev righly alludes to Waggot and Mowbray appear to have matters sown up...the self preservation society.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He got to professional..

I'm happy with Mowbray to carry on for this season and review in summer. 

Why do you believe it's acceptable for a manager who is failing to achieve goals he has set himself to be able to carry on underachieving for another 6 months? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, philipl said:

We had the hope the injured players returning would make the difference.

That was dispelled with 20 minutes to go yesterday.

We had Dack, Brereton, Downing, Rothwell, Elliott, Armstrong all on the pitch together and Mowbray showed he hasn't got the first clue how to knit such riches together.

The tactics were still slow build up side to side hoping against hope to pull Wednesday out of position.

No urgency.

Offensive players dropping deep just to find the ball.

I counted at least four times Rovers players got in each others' ways at crucial.moments either blocking our own shots or setting up their goal and that was with the ifollow stream failing for about 20% of the match.

That just screams poor coaching.

No strategy to use the rich resources we have.

No plan B or plan C

We made it so easy for an incredibly limited Wednesday well marshalled by Pulis who did change things about to further frustrate Mowbray's mental stasis at half time.

The fans have been asking where Dack will play when he comes back.

We saw the answer yesterday-

Tony hasn't got a clue.

Good post. Dack was midfield wasn't he? He looked to be centre forward almost on top of Armstrong at times. I think you hit the nail on the head here about players getting in each others way. Always seems to happen 

I think we have the players too as well though, so that makes this type of performance even more frustrating! 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

11 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Why do you believe it's acceptable for a manager who is failing to achieve goals he has set himself to be able to carry on underachieving for another 6 months? 

The season hasnt finish has it? 

Let's see where we finish at the end of the season and review then. 

I take from your comments you want a change of manager? Any manager out there you would like? 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I take from your comments you want a change of manager? Any manager out there you would like? 

Regarding this season  - " The fans are on the pitch ". You should know what comes next.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He got to professional..

I'm happy with Mowbray to carry on for this season and review in summer. 

FFS Chaddy, this is the problem!

It's like we go round and round in circles.

It will then be 'we showed good form in the final few games, let's give him the window' which then becomes 'let's give him a dozen games to see how much difference his new signings make' and then it becomes 'let's see where we are at Christmas' and then 'let's give him the January window and review at the end of the season'.

IMO, it's mind numbing bury your head in the sand nonsense.

If my head wasn't so feckin delicate I'd be banging it on my desk!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

FFS Chaddy, this is the problem!

It's like we go round and round in circles.

It will then be 'we showed good form in the final few games, let's give him the window' which then becomes 'let's give him a dozen games to see how much difference his new signings make' and then it becomes 'let's see where we are at Christmas' and then 'let's give him the January window and review at the end of the season'.

IMO, it's mind numbing bury your head in the sand nonsense.

If my head wasn't so feckin delicate I'd be banging it on my desk!

My position is clear. I wont be changing it. 

Mowbray still has plenty of support of different social media out there. 

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Let's say Venky's have given this season to be promoted before cutbacks happen in the summer. Would you still support him knowing that all assets will be sold in the summer?

I remember when Souness was appointed, it took him 5 months to assess the squad and plan who he needed for a promotion push the next season. We are probably in the same category now. Although i have a feeling of deja vu, as i do remember having the same argument last year.

That just sounds stubborn Chaddy.

Would your position change if we lost the next three games? 5 games? 10 games?

Whilst I appreciate that you dont want the manager out at the moment, does it worry you at all that in spite of the obvious personnel improvements (mainly Kaminski and Elliott) and the new style (death by a thousand passes) that we are picking up points at a rate that is unfavourable even compared to last seasons mediocrity, in which there was a public admittance that we had failed on our target? Or is there no gauge of progress in your mind until the season is over?

What are the parameters for you in regards to Mowbrays position come the summer? Would only promotion suffice? Would a top 6 finish regardless of what happens after that suffice? Would we have to only finish higher than 11th for you to be content?

We'll finish 11th.

Absolutely, Tony needs to go immediately. 

Pearson or Hughes. 

Im not too sure that social media reactions are relevant at all to be honest. The only way that any genuine pressure/dismay can be portrayed is at games and with matches behind closed doors that is not a thing at the moment, and even if it was, I doubt that there wouls be much.

Ultimately the decision rests with negligent owners and a CEO is between who is a pal of Mowbray from a previous club, so I suspect that coming to a strategic decision that we are stagnating or not meeting expectations is quite simply not going to happen.

We need to be amassing 1.5 points per game at the very minimum and looking towards a 50% win rate to really be challenging for promotion. We are not achieving that at the moment.

For me, we need to win the next 2 games. Anything less is grounds for dismissal. We’re going to have another season of mediocrity otherwise.

There have to be some real targets to work towards and if we’re not hitting them we need to look elsewhere.

That said, I am not convinced as a lot of people are that another manager will get significantly more out of this squad. There’s every chance we go the way of Ipswich after sacking McCarthy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

A question Chaddy.

Under what specific circumstances would you sack Mowbray in the summer eg he doesn't get us promoted, he doesn't finish top six, he doesn't improve on last season's position?

• Like 2