BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Please enlighten us...

I was reminded of gladiator, when Comodus is sitting in the senate and the senator asks him to tell them from his wealth of experience how the Rome should be run?

Comodus replied 'I call it love' 

Just now, martonrover said:

The point I was making is that Howe would be a decent candidate, but you would disregard him because he once managed Burnley.

As we are stuck with Tony on the road to nowhere, we will never find out, but I don't think it would be out of the question for him to come here.

If the personal reasons (at that time) were on the basis of location, then Glasgow and Newcastle wouldn't look too great either.

Howe wont be dropping down to the Championship yet. Will get a PL or Celtic job before coming to the championship. He did an excellent job there at Bournemouth. 

I gave a few sensible and realistic suggestions the other week as possible replacement for Mowbray. 

51 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Yeah. That was the one where I thought maybe they had learned their lesson. Ha!

It’s funny how Mowbray’s appointment is reimagined as some sort of coup. He was absolutely on the scrap heap before he came here and I bet he couldn’t believe his luck. Not a single Rovers fan would’ve appointed him if it was down to them, it was completely out of left field and the thing that set him apart from anyone else in the eyes of Venky’s was the agency that represent him. It’s worked out ok, to a point, but he should be just as grateful to us for the chance he’s had to rebuild his tattered reputation as we should be for the job he has done.

If you'd have had a list of the 50 most likely candidates for the Rovers job at the time I'd bet his name wouldn't have been on it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not really bothered what you think Sparks as other people on here who I speak on different social Media know that I am backing Mowbray to continue as manager and we should review the situation in the summer. End off

End off for you.

The rest of us continue to want what's best for our club.  Good luck.

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you'd have had a list of the 50 most likely candidates for the Rovers job at the time I'd bet his name wouldn't have been on it.

Therein lies the crucial issue. Who's next? As I said in another thread, they have yet to make a managerial appointment of intent.

Overall they got pretty lucky with Mowbray. A wrong appointment there and we could still be in league 1. I don't buy this "best squad, it was easy" stuff. Many teams with the perceived best squads didn't go up. 

It's impossible to guess who they will appoint, up to the very last second. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ben Frost said:

In which case neither is any opinion  on this website, including yours. 

Why get angry? Yet another example of the superiority complex which is evident all over this forum. As you used to write the LET fan column I'm really surprised that you are attacking fellow Rovers fans like this. 

They are as entitled to their views as you are to yours. 

I can only assume you haven't read these points of view where any attempt at reasonable debate is shot down with laughing emojis and disparaging and insulting comment? At least on here there is an attempt at reasoning, on there it's support the manager at all costs with no question.

There is some bloke on there (Peter John Brown, think he posts on here) who gets untold abuse for stating valid opinion. That's what gets me angry as well as the shift in opinion to suit the manager's shortcomings.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LDRover said:

I can only assume you haven't read these points of view where any attempt at reasonable debate is shot down with laughing emojis and disparaging and insulting comment? At least on here there is an attempt at reasoning, on there it's support the manager at all costs with no question.

There is some bloke on there (Peter John Brown, think he posts on here) who gets untold abuse for stating valid opinion. That's what gets me angry as well as the shift in opinion to suit the manager's shortcomings.

You are spot on.

Every single person should feel comfortable in expressing their opinions - some of those opinions will curry favour whilst others wont.  It's the way of the world and only natural.

If you aren't prepared to rationalise your views and opinions or recognise the right of others to express opinions, though they may differ to yours, then it's simple - stay away from MB's and social media. 

• Like 2

If Chaddy isn't willing to give Mowbray a review I am. Here are our last several games going back to include Preston so its not all doom and gloom.

Sheffield Wed 1-1 Mowbray sussed/ Their goal a defensive mistake/ Rothwell solo stunner/ Poor performance  

Stoke City 0-1 Mowbray sussed/ Their goal a defensive mistake/ Poor performance

Rotherham 2-1 Mowbray sussed/ Their goal a defensive mistake/ Late heroics/ Dire performance 

Norwich 1-2 Mowbray sussed/ One of their goals a defensive mistake/ Mediocre performance

Bristol City 0-1 Mowbray sussed/ Their goal a defensive mistake/ Dire performance

Brentford 2-2 Mowbray got it right/ Both their goals defensive mistakes/ Rothwell solo stunner/ Late heroics

Millwall 2-1 Mowbray sussed/ Their goal a defensive mistake/ Late heroics/ Mediocre performance

Barnsley 2-1 Mowbray sussed/ Their goal a defensive mistake/ Late Heroics/ Poor Performance

Preston 3-0 Murdered them

A bit repetitive isn't it?

The problem is footballers have short careers, fans' lives move on. We can't wait 20, 30 or 50 years to see the benefit. 

The Venky's are worth what Jack was with an extra zero on the end. We should be mid table Premier League. 11th in the Championship 7 points off the play-offs is Mowbray simply not delivering.

• Like 9

We haven’t performed well for 5 or 6 games now. The system hasn’t changed from the start, neither has the players really, but they aren’t delivering like they were. 

We could argue the semantics about why they aren’t til the cows come home but maybe it is the simple fact that they are not good enough. 

We need a serious defensive mid in this 4-3-3 system and BJ / Trybull aren’t good enough to do it. Not only that but we need another Elliott on the opposite wing because Gallagher just isn’t performing. We are a few players off, but that’s nothing new. 

I have still not lost the faith and still think we can get play offs this year. Travis will be massive for us. 

5 hours ago, Mercer said:

I asked you a specific question:

"Under what specific circumstances would you sack Mowbray in the summer eg he doesn't get us promoted, he doesn't finish top six, he doesn't improve on last season's position?"

You have not answered Chaddy.

I honestly think you are both hopelessly in love with Mowbray and you are pretty clueless about how a football club should be run and how accountable the manager should be.

My position is quite clear and I've said so on many occasions.  I would not have appointed Mowbray in the first place.  He failed to keep us up as was his target when appointed to the job (his words in Blues in Feb 2019).  He got us promoted at the first time but with the biggest resources in League One by a country mile - we scraped in 2nd behind mighty Wigan and, IMO, played football that was dire, dire and more dire.  In his third season back in the Championship, we are worse off at this stage of the season than in seasons one or two as @J*Bdemonstrated:

After 21 games...

18/19 - 30 points, 6 off the play offs.

19/20 - 31 points, 3 off the play offs.

20/21 - 29 points, 7 off the play offs.

At best we are stagnating and some of our football is, IMO, just feckin awful and some on here have the temerity to knock Big Sam who knocks spots off Mowbray in every conceivable way as a football manager.

Difference between you and me Chaddy is that I try to rationalise my arguments whereas you don't and therefore have little credibility. 

Stunning really how he's managed to get us in near enough the exact same position for the last 3 seasons.

The evidence that we are not progressing is right there.

Having a better squad is even more damning of Mowbray's abilities as a manager that we actually have a lower (albeit very minor) points tally than both 2 previous seasons.

The slow build is obviously just bullshit and a smokescreen to pander to the fans/owners.

Times up, get Bilic or Pearson and have a real crack at promotion.

Venkys won't do that though. Terrible owners who make abysmal decisions.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Ben Frost said:

In which case neither is any opinion  on this website, including yours. 

Why get angry? Yet another example of the superiority complex which is evident all over this forum. As you used to write the LET fan column I'm really surprised that you are attacking fellow Rovers fans like this. 

They are as entitled to their views as you are to yours. 

You have taken my point out of context. I meant that opinions on social media will do nothing to put pressure on the manager, the main avenue to which that would be done would be at games which is obviously not possible at the moment. And I dont think Mowbray is divisive enough or doing a bad enough job to receive too much stick even if we was. The same on here. Doesnt mean that any of those opinions are pointless or invalid.

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No I am not worry at this stage. Time to judge is end of the season for me unless we were going down. 

You asked the same sort of questions last season as Mercer did. If I feel that a change of manager is need then I will post. Currently I dont think we need a change of manager..

So you are saying that people comments are redundant on here cos we aren't in the ground? 

They has been one game that being Barnsley at home last season where you sense the fans were close to turning on Mowbray. That's been it as far as home games goes isn't it? 

You asked the same question every season Mercer cos you wanted Mowbray gone for the past 3 seasons. 

Ultimately you are cleverly dodging nailing your colours to the mast because you know that if you expect a certain achievement this season and we fail to achieve it, come the summer you would have no ability to then say that Mowbray deserves another season regardless. 

Do you agree that we havent progressed this year compared to last, as the league table will testify? 

As others have commented, your comments about Cook are childish and make you become a bit of a laughing stock, Cook wouldnt necessarily be top of my list (if I had one) but to discount a manager because he used to "be a Dingle" is a bit pathetic.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Howe wont be dropping down to the Championship yet. Will get a PL or Celtic job before coming to the championship. He did an excellent job there at Bournemouth. 

I gave a few sensible and realistic suggestions the other week as possible replacement for Mowbray. 

I don't need a lecture from you about what is "sensible and realistic", thanks all the same.

Howe will have to get back in somewhere and how many Premier League clubs would be interested in him? 

A decent Championship club is a highly likely route back in to management for him.

14 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

Mowbray , must be dreading the day fans are allowed back in the ground !!!

I don’t think he is in truth 

Id say the opinion, even on here, is about 70/30 which outside of this board would probably make it around 50/50. It is not uncommon for BRFCS posters to be calling for the sacking of a manager.

16 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I don’t think he is in truth 

Id say the opinion, even on here, is about 70/30 which outside of this board would probably make it around 50/50. It is not uncommon for BRFCS posters to be calling for the sacking of a manager.

Yeah and it's not like they've had no reason to is it ? How many of us wanted Kean, Berg, Appleton, Bowyer, Coyle, Mowbray ? I was pleased with the Lambert and Co appointment, I thought that was a sensible appointment. Yet they managed to balls that one up.  As for the rest, none of them were popular choices.

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah and it's not like they've had no reason to is it ? How many of us wanted Kean, Berg, Appleton, Bowyer, Coyle, Mowbray ? I was pleased with the Lambert and Co appointment, I thought that was a sensible appointment. Yet they managed to balls that one up.  As for the rest, none of them were popular choices.

Yeah, they probably did. 
The point remains that the views of this board are rarely reflected in the views of the general fan base. 

See the Facebook Rovers page for a better understanding. Or Twitter. Mowbray is only under “pressure” from some on here - of which some have not been happy with a manager since the day I joined. It’s just an observation.