BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course, as it is for every club. 

Just think it’s a bit of a curious juxtaposition that the very same people usually lauding the owners on said groups are also the ones sounding the alarm that the club couldn’t possibly appoint anyone better than Tony bloody Mowbray...

We aren't "every club" 

I don't know about the people in those groups. They haven't made a stand out appointment during their time here though? Yes, they have put money in. Two seperate things. I don't blame people being concerned about who we might get. We could end up in relegation very quickly if it's the wrong appointment, again. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

I know we aren’t ‘every club’, I posted that very view earlier today. And I certainly have reservations on potting TM on that basis.

But for those that believe we now have owners that have learnt their lessons and are bankrolling the club surely they shouldn’t be scared about replacing an underachieving manager? If they are, then obviously they don’t actually believe the owners have ‘learnt their lessons’ at all...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Who are we gonna get is a fair question though 

I think its exciting getting a new manager.  It would be now because we do have a decent team.   Normally a change of manager means the new manager has a load of shit to get rid of, its slightly different here and I think a good manager in quickly and a couple of good centre halves, we could sniff around top 6.  With this guy, no chance.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think its exciting getting a new manager.  It would be now because we do have a decent team.   Normally a change of manager means the new manager has a load of shit to get rid of, its slightly different here and I think a good manager in quickly and a couple of good centre halves, we could sniff around top 6.  With this guy, no chance.

Yes, it is exciting, but that excitement could dissapate very quickly. The facts show they are more likely to appoint someone worse. That's the unfortunate reality. 

Talk of like Robins and Ainsworth. No thanks. A stronger character like Pearson? Couldn't see that working out. We are a bad appointment away from getting sucked into relegation. 

I'm terrified about who they would appoint to be honest. 

• Like 3

The Ayala situation is damning for Mowbray. I like Ayala and I think he is a good defender, however the way we play doesn't suit him. So why did Mowbray sign him? Same as Gallagher.

If you want a centre half to play how we do, you need someone like Ben White who was on loan at Leeds last season. 

It's not rocket science. 

10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The Ayala situation is damning for Mowbray. I like Ayala and I think he is a good defender, however the way we play doesn't suit him. So why did Mowbray sign him? Same as Gallagher.

If you want a centre half to play how we do, you need someone like Ben White who was on loan at Leeds last season. 

It's not rocket science. 

You mean the BW who Leeds bid 25m for a couple of months ago, and not DA who Boro wouldn't give a new contract to because he's a carthorse?  No shit, Sherlock.  Maybe TM could have saved his 12m and bought BW left leg...

• Backroom

The Rovers FB groups are awful tbh. Teeming with superfans who, in their desperation to absolve Venky's/Waggott/Mowbray of all responsibility and show themselves to be the most loyal hardcore fans of all, ironically support hurting the club they are supposed to cherish. 

• Like 8

Pearson, Monk, Pulis all available. All have got experience of working for erratic ownership. I’d go for Pulis...he’d sort out the defence (with a few January recruitments) and although his style isn’t everyone’s flavour I think he’d iron out some of our problems. We need a solid defence...there are plenty of goals in this squad. 

6 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Rovers fitness latest as four players sustain knocks | Lancashire Telegraph

''At Middlesbrough, with total respect to Tony Pulis and the way he plays, as we saw with Sheffield Wednesday at the weekend, he plays with a very compact unit infront and there’s no spaces to play through, for Aitor as well who we’ll face at the weekend. I’m asking Daniel to play in a team that’s a lot more expansive and I think his body is finding the extra workload hard until he gets acclimatised''

Tony bigging himself up.

Another example of TM not being a good guy. This rewrites reality. It's not as though Ayala hasn't had fitness issues prior to Rovers. It's hardly as if a new system has suddenly caused these problems. Everyone on this board, all Boro fans acknowledged he had injury issues so the idea that this is an unfortunate and unexpected result of a new system simply isn't true. 

Furthermore IF the new system has made the injury problems worse (which given his past record I don't think is the case) then that just shows negligence on TMs part. Ayala's fitness worries were hardly a surprise. So if there is any truth in it, then it highlights incompetence. 

Then there's the with all due respect which is a sly dig at 2 other managers. Different systems and positions  require different amounts of running. Neutral statement. Until you add in the with due respect which starts to hint at the idea that the way we play is a better way of playing. Results would suggest otherwise but TM trying to slip in how great our style is even though it is as effective as a chocolate teapot. 

No it's another load of bull from a great guy. Disappointing to see. It's like Bowyer mark 2 in all respects including the increasingly stupid comments. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Every manager knows when their time is up and they cannot do any more, and that results are so bad their position is untenable. I think Mowbray is nearing that point. His whole demeanour last night showed a man who doesn't know what to do.

It's ok to say he went on "a similar death spiral" last season, and "Waggott laughed" when questioned about Mowbray's position, but it's missing the point, which is that there comes a time when a manager - even Mowbray - loses credibility and has to walk away.

Two more defeats could see Mowbray leave the club IMO.

It’s all good for a manager to say “i don’t want to be a burden on the club, and If I feel they need a new voice, then fine” but has a manger ever actually done that? 

I asked waggott outside PNE last season, he may have thought I was a Preston fan as coming out of one of the lounges, but he wasn’t too concerned then. I couldn’t have been more mad after that game I don’t think 😂

I believe Mowbray will be backed, he’s convinced the owners to back his spending on “European recruitment” and have backed him to an extent with transfer budgets ect... so can’t see them pulling the trigger now. 

Mowbray would need to lose the confidence of Suhail Pasha, because I think it’s quite evident that Waggott will stick by him. Having no fans in the grounds might also be helping his cause at the moment.

one thing Mowbray has always managed is a result when he needs one, a big month coming up.  

14 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Another example of TM not being a good guy. This rewrites reality. It's not as though Ayala hasn't had fitness issues prior to Rovers. It's hardly as if a new system has suddenly caused these problems. Everyone on this board, all Boro fans acknowledged he had injury issues so the idea that this is an unfortunate and unexpected result of a new system simply isn't true. 

Furthermore IF the new system has made the injury problems worse (which given his past record I don't think is the case) then that just shows negligence on TMs part. Ayala's fitness worries were hardly a surprise. So if there is any truth in it, then it highlights incompetence. 

Then there's the with all due respect which is a sly dig at 2 other managers. Different systems and positions  require different amounts of running. Neutral statement. Until you add in the with due respect which starts to hint at the idea that the way we play is a better way of playing. Results would suggest otherwise but TM trying to slip in how great our style is even though it is as effective as a chocolate teapot. 

No it's another load of bull from a great guy. Disappointing to see. It's like Bowyer mark 2 in all respects including the increasingly stupid comments. 

Tony thinks he's a good guy, just like he thinks he's a good tactician and just like he thinks he can take this club to the Premiership. The problem is that Tony is completely deluded and blind to reality. Pulis has achieved far more as a manager than Tony ever will and those words directed towards Pulis are very disrespectful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Every manager knows when their time is up and they cannot do any more, and that results are so bad their position is untenable. I think Mowbray is nearing that point. His whole demeanour last night showed a man who doesn't know what to do.

It's ok to say he went on "a similar death spiral" last season, and "Waggott laughed" when questioned about Mowbray's position, but it's missing the point, which is that there comes a time when a manager - even Mowbray - loses credibility and has to walk away.

Two more defeats could see Mowbray leave the club IMO.

Let's hope so. Defeat at Brum and out of the FA Cup would be well worth it for a fresh start. 

57 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's not rocket science. 

You're not falling for that load of old  bollux from Mowbray are you? He's signed a player around the 30 year old mark who has hardly played in 2020 and who has a history of being injury prone and/or unreliable.

Bit of a gamble (probably a very expensive one by our current standards) and to date it hasn't worked out.

Nothing to do with different systems.

• Like 1

We know from what the likes of Danny Graham have said since leaving us that Mowbray will be giving them the proper silent treatment right now. Withdraws himself and gets the right hump with everyone at the club (bar Travis it would seem). This behaviour has led to a turnaround in results pretty much every time to date - if it doesn’t on Saturday against Big Club then I think we can safely say he’s lost the support of the players. 

Mowbray is our mini-version of Arsene Wenger. Did a good job in turning round a dire squad, won a promotion and moved to a playing style that's easy on the eye - when it's working. Obsessed with stockpiling midfielders and dismissive of defensive strength and resilience. When results and performances dip well below expectations he just cussedly goes on in his own way. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

I think there's a difference between losing the dressing room and the players feeling like they can pick and choose when they put the effort in. I'd say we're at the latter rather than the former, and have been for most of Mowbray's tenure. 

There have been plenty of times over the past couple of years when people have said TM has lost the dressing room. Inevitably soon after that we would go on another upswing in form, proving that not to be the case. I imagine it'll be the same this time. The players will go up a gear as and when they feel like they have pushed their luck as far as it can go. 

Much like the Bowyer years, the motivation simply isn't there to try and perform at 100% in every match. The manager doesn't instil that in the players, and I would argue doesn't recruit players with that mindset either. Everything at Ewood is far too comfortable for all involved.

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont see why suggestions that hes lost the dressing room need to be made to be honest. I personally dont see that but managers are always judged on results and his arent good enough to suggest any signs of improvement and thats enough for me to know that he needs to be removed.

Agreed.

I didn't think Coyle ever lost the dressing room either.

He just couldn't set teams up to defend and you knew that if we'd need to score three to win or that if we had a lead going into the last quarter of games it would probably end up a draw.

54 minutes ago, DE. said:

I think there's a difference between losing the dressing room and the players feeling like they can pick and choose when they put the effort in. I'd say we're at the latter rather than the former, and have been for most of Mowbray's tenure. 

There have been plenty of times over the past couple of years when people have said TM has lost the dressing room. Inevitably soon after that we would go on another upswing in form, proving that not to be the case. I imagine it'll be the same this time. The players will go up a gear as and when they feel like they have pushed their luck as far as it can go. 

Much like the Bowyer years, the motivation simply isn't there to try and perform at 100% in every match. The manager doesn't instil that in the players, and I would argue doesn't recruit players with that mindset either. Everything at Ewood is far too comfortable for all involved.

Spot on.

4 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

You mean the BW who Leeds bid 25m for a couple of months ago, and not DA who Boro wouldn't give a new contract to because he's a carthorse?  No shit, Sherlock.  Maybe TM could have saved his 12m and bought BW left leg...

When Leeds signed White on loan, he was unknown to many. I clearly didn't mean sign him now. Keep up. 

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You're not falling for that load of old  bollux from Mowbray are you? He's signed a player around the 30 year old mark who has hardly played in 2020 and who has a history of being injury prone and/or unreliable.

Bit of a gamble (probably a very expensive one by our current standards) and to date it hasn't worked out.

Nothing to do with different systems.

Either way it's on Mowbray. Pretty easy to understand? 

You surely realise certain systems suit certain players?