BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

2 hours ago, DE. said:

I think there's a difference between losing the dressing room and the players feeling like they can pick and choose when they put the effort in. I'd say we're at the latter rather than the former, and have been for most of Mowbray's tenure. 

There have been plenty of times over the past couple of years when people have said TM has lost the dressing room. Inevitably soon after that we would go on another upswing in form, proving that not to be the case. I imagine it'll be the same this time. The players will go up a gear as and when they feel like they have pushed their luck as far as it can go. 

Much like the Bowyer years, the motivation simply isn't there to try and perform at 100% in every match. The manager doesn't instil that in the players, and I would argue doesn't recruit players with that mindset either. Everything at Ewood is far too comfortable for all involved.

Yes, I've said it on here before.  If we did by a miracle go up with this group, most of them would be out the door/not playing and the personal upheaval might be massive.  They are comfortable here on good money,  lemon drizzle and a nice pot of tea.  Easy Street.  

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ok fair enough.  So, Kipre would maybe fit.  Can't get in a premier league squad due to.age or form....?  Like Toisin last year who did ok for us..?

Mowbray gets accused of uninspired and predictable signings, I think we need to move on from Kipre. 

Mad that we were linked with Sarr during the summer. Looks the far better bet than Ayala now. 

Ya, Tosins mobility was definitely something that helped us. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mowbray gets accused of uninspired and predictable signings, I think we need to move on from Kipre. 

Mad that we were linked with Sarr during the summer. Looks the far better bet than Ayala now. 

Ya, Tosins mobility was definitely something that helped us. 

Nat Phillips for me on loan. Local lad and probably needs a full seaon on loan

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He has been bumped too far up the pecking order at Liverpool I would imagine. 

Not when everyone is fit.  He is another Toisin....not quite ready for the top of the premier league.  Saying that, looks like elliot might not be giving Tony a glowing report according to his tantrum last night.

4/5 seasons at one club is enough for most managers and this one has definately reached the end,can`t organise a defence,bad in the transfer market and man management is awful as well,i think he commands respect as a decent person but not in the dressing room,last night proved to me that the players ar`nt pulling for him,those two goals last night would have been bad in a sunday league side,**** me professional footballers all going for one header leaving their centre half on his own,sarr did`nt even need to move

12 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not when everyone is fit.  He is another Toisin....not quite ready for the top of the premier league.  Saying that, looks like elliot might not be giving Tony a glowing report according to his tantrum last night.

Wouldn't look too much into that. He starts him every game. 

If Mowbray left, he could be pulled in January. I would say Liverpool are highly sensitive about how and where he plays. 

Liverpool still have issues with injuries definsively 

Just noticed that Birmingham have lost their last two home games 4-1 against Middlesbrough and 4-0 against Derby. Very poor and unusual for a Karanka side who is traditionally defensively strong. 

They've actually lost their last 4 at home including Watford and Barnsley and going back further have lost 6 of their last 7 home games, the other a 0-0 draw with Millwall. 

They've scored 8 goals at home in 11 games.

If we don't win this he needs sacking. No ifs no buts no excuses.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Just noticed that Birmingham have lost their last two home games 4-1 against Middlesbrough and 4-0 against Derby. Very poor and unusual for a Karanka side who is traditionally defensively strong. 

They've actually lost their last 4 at home including Watford and Barnsley and going back further have lost 6 of their last 7 home games, the other a 0-0 draw with Millwall. 

Here come rovers with their Christmas and New year goodwill......

• Like 5

I was told by a someone last season who has pretty good links to the club mowbray was safe his job to walk away from. Even if we went back down he is safe owners like him. Thing is we'll beat brum have a little run get to 9th fall away again, then repeat this in feb/march/may

13 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

10 years in and some of you still haven’t worked these owners out and think he will be under some pressure, that a ‘board’ will be discussing the alarming drop off in results. ‘His position is untenable’, ‘let’s give a new manager time to settle in’. A thread talking about replacements has been started.

Perfectly understandable, that’s how football works, especially in the Championship, however it just doesn’t here, and you are all going to be getting more and more wound up. I remember last season on a similar death spiral, a fan asked Waggott about TM’s position, he merely laughed.

The ire needs to be pointed at those that oversee this dysfunctional football club, alas they are now even more popular with the fanbase than TM at his peak.

Whet a state of affairs.

And yet, we are meant to believe that Mowbray is an honourable guy who would do the noble thing, having brought stability to the club. Y’know, fall on his sword and that.

There are very few options actually open to fans apart from to vent their spleen on forums and social media. We all know that there are people who monitor this site - amongst others.

Aside from airing our displeasure, what else can we do?

We can’t go to games and vent or even protest (“sack the board” style) and, even if we could, the superfans would be shooting down any dissenters as “not being real supporters”.

We don’t have the local newspaper on side. Heck, they don’t even ask any difficult questions.

There isn’t any embarrassment from within the football family. Mowbray will carry on unashamed, the players will go through the motions, the chief exec will carry on laughing. Behind the scenes BRFC will be the joke of football, the club where nobody cares how shit you are as long as you stay out of the bottom three - which is why there will be no shortage of applicants to replace Mowbray for the best job in the Championship.

The only realistic option is for fans to walk away, for the sake of their sanity and to stop endorsing this whole fucked up charade.

But in doing so we harm the very thing we all love.

In a staring contest between Venkys (with their ignorant arrogance) and zero season ticket holders (or let’s say sub-500, as an embarrassingly low number), would they back Mowbray/Waggott, replace them both, or walk away?

If we subscribe to the theory that they are still here for a reason (probably financial) then they would surely have to change the people running “their UK operation” rather than suffer the ignominy of being the worst supported club in the country.

It’s always in the hands of the people.

If they stick together and hold their nerve.

7 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course, as it is for every club. 

Just think it’s a bit of a curious juxtaposition that the very same people usually lauding the owners on said groups are also the ones sounding the alarm that the club couldn’t possibly appoint anyone better than Tony bloody Mowbray...

I’ve been banging this drum for ages Matty.

It’s a contradiction to say on the one hand Venky’s are the best owners we can ever hope for and then say that they can’t be trusted to appoint a manager better than they one the appointed.

Yet people do.

Their motivation? To be able to say they are the best kind of supporter. That they stick it out when others doubted. Because they want the morale high ground of the “I told you so” when things are going well.

They will also be the first people to say “his time was up” as soon as his departure is confirmed.

It is defeatism disguised as positivity!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DE. said:

I think there's a difference between losing the dressing room and the players feeling like they can pick and choose when they put the effort in. I'd say we're at the latter rather than the former, and have been for most of Mowbray's tenure. 

There have been plenty of times over the past couple of years when people have said TM has lost the dressing room. Inevitably soon after that we would go on another upswing in form, proving that not to be the case. I imagine it'll be the same this time. The players will go up a gear as and when they feel like they have pushed their luck as far as it can go. 

Much like the Bowyer years, the motivation simply isn't there to try and perform at 100% in every match. The manager doesn't instil that in the players, and I would argue doesn't recruit players with that mindset either. Everything at Ewood is far too comfortable for all involved.

Which I would argue is totally down to the rotation policy that has been installed by Mowbray. Dropping players regardless of their performances.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

Doesn't mean he is not fit for Saturday.

His history of similar injuries suggests it'll be a week or two. If he doesn't make it who then ? We haven't even got enough players to play 3 at the back with wing backs, unless we throw Carter in again. When's Magloire back from his pointless loan period.

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

We'll lose this one and he won't be sacked. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I’ve been banging this drum for ages Matty.

It’s a contradiction to say on the one hand Venky’s are the best owners we can ever hope for and then say that they can’t be trusted to appoint a manager better than they one the appointed.

Yet people do.

Their motivation? To be able to say they are the best kind of supporter. That they stick it out when others doubted. Because they want the morale high ground of the “I told you so” when things are going well.

They will also be the first people to say “his time was up” as soon as his departure is confirmed.

It is defeatism disguised as positivity!

My best mate optimises this. Slow to want any manager sacked then after any decision the club makes it’s the right decision. 

Last night:

“The squad isn’t good as you’re making out. Top half fine. Trust me he’s moved his own goalposts there. Agreed, need a massive improvement. Tony probably isn’t the man to improve us but enjoyed it from the horror show of Coyle. Not that he’d criticise at the time. Maybe we do need a change which is sad because I think he’s done so much good.”

This morning renewed faith: 

“Missing our best players. You talk about him he’s ruining the club. If it wasn’t for him we’d probably be in league one.”

One of the true disciples to be sure. But if Mowbray were to be sacked tomorrow, the club in their infinite wisdom, would be right. Frustrating mindset. But takes all sorts. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, matt83 said:

My best mate optimises this. Slow to want any manager sacked then after any decision the club makes it’s the right decision. 

Last night:

“The squad isn’t good as you’re making out. Top half fine. Trust me he’s moved his own goalposts there. Agreed, need a massive improvement. Tony probably isn’t the man to improve us but enjoyed it from the horror show of Coyle. Not that he’d criticise at the time. Maybe we do need a change which is sad because it think he’s done so much good.”

This morning renewed faith: 

“Missing our best players. You talk about him he’s ruining the club. If it wasn’t for him we’d probably be in league one.”

One of the true disciples to be sure. But if Mowbray were to be sacked tomorrow, the club in their infinite wisdom, would be right. Frustrating mindset. But takes all sorts. 

Frustrating isn’t it? I’m here for Blackburn Rovers. Not for any manager or any player.

It looks to me like Mowbray has peaked at midtable - regardless of the players we’ve had available and the ones we’ve bought and sold. Are we the only club that has had injuries?

The question is: is that peak enough for Blackburn Rovers and for how long?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Frustrating isn’t it? I’m here for Blackburn Rovers. Not for any manager or any player.

It looks to me like Mowbray has peaked at midtable - regardless of the players we’ve had available and the ones we’ve bought and sold. Are we the only club that has had injuries?

The question is: is that peak enough for Blackburn Rovers and for how long?

And the context is that this peak has been good enough for some, ever since they arrived in 2012.

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think its exciting getting a new manager.  It would be now because we do have a decent team.   Normally a change of manager means the new manager has a load of shit to get rid of, its slightly different here and I think a good manager in quickly and a couple of good centre halves, we could sniff around top 6.  With this guy, no chance.

Exactly.

Potting the manager would be the only exciting thing around Rovers recently. We've had mid-table regression with boring backwards and sideways for too long.

Without it, this season is already done and dusted. Waste of time even following the games, we'll finish round about where we are now, well away from the playoffs or relegation spots.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont see why suggestions that hes lost the dressing room need to be made to be honest. I personally dont see that but managers are always judged on results and his arent good enough to suggest any signs of improvement and thats enough for me to know that he needs to be removed.

True.

Who cares if he's lost the dressing room or not? To be honest, if they are all behind him and then that's the crap they serve up then it's more damning than anything else, to be honest!

• Like 2