BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Interesting post.

Mowbray is not as despised as Kean was, not by a long stretch. But even when Kean was here there was hope, there was an outlet. Enough people cared enough to try to bring about a change. Ultimately, IMHO, they did as they brought Shebby to the fore and things became very uncomfortable for him from that moment onwards.

This time out, it just feels relentless. A constant recurring theme of mediocrity, with no bogeyman, nobody to complain to and nobody who cares enough to complain, not even most other fans. And it just goes on forever.

It must have been how Bill Murray’s character felt in Groundhog Day at the point he was trying to end it all.

Conversely, for many fans Mowbray is the best and only man for the job - until he eventually does leave, at which point those same fans will say he had gone past his sell-by date and it was the right time to leave. But not a minute sooner.

I've said it all along that their current exit plan is to diminish and demoralise the fan base to the point that when they pull the plug nobody will be too bothered one way or another. How many do you think would pay to watch that every week, 8,000 ? 7,000 ?

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've said it all along that their current exit plan is to diminish and demoralise the fan base to the point that when they pull the plug nobody will be too bothered one way or another. How many do you think would pay to watch that every week, 8,000 ? 7,000 ?

I fear that with Mowbray still in charge we will struggle to get 5,000 ST holders. The lockdown restrictions being (eventually) lifted could see record numbers of fans flock back to football matches but with Waggott likely introducing yet another (we’ve-done-all-we-can) price hike it could be the final nail in our coffin. The bloke has the imagination of a cabbage.

Venkys could just as easily announce Mark Hughes as our new manager as announce thy are liquidating the club!

18 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I fear that with Mowbray still in charge we will struggle to get 5,000 ST holders. The lockdown restrictions being (eventually) lifted could see record numbers of fans flock back to football matches but with Waggott likely introducing yet another (we’ve-done-all-we-can) price hike it could be the final nail in our coffin. The bloke has the imagination of a cabbage.

Venkys could just as easily announce Mark Hughes as our new manager as announce thy are liquidating the club!

We only flogged about 8000 last season. Since then we've had a pandemic, recession, price rises and still have mediocre Mowbray and Waggott running the show that most people are now thoroughly bored of.

Our existing ST base is allegedly around 2500 which is horrendous in itself but can be explained away due to the restrictions. 

So yeah, no serious changes and I think 5000 is probably where we will end up.

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We only flogged about 8000 last season. Since then we've had a pandemic, recession, price rises and still have mediocre Mowbray and Waggott running the show that most people are now thoroughly bored of.

Our existing ST base is allegedly around 2500 which is horrendous in itself but can be explained away due to the restrictions. 

So yeah, no serious changes and I think 5000 is probably where we will end up.

I think ‘bored’ is exactly the word. Between them they’ve taken all of the fun out of it.

• Like 1

Definitely time for a change, give a new guy half a season to pick through the squad. I think it’s a very good squad overall and imagine it would be an appealable job.

I don’t think we have made enough of the body language of the players. It’s absolutely shocking, something isn’t right.

• Like 2

I was told a while ago by someone with club connections who said we could go down and Mowbray would be safe, the owners like him. Interesting that on the under cosh podcast Luke Steele mentions how dour mowbray was. I dont think he'll get sacked regardless of how badly we perform i'm starting to feel really apathetic todays game was an easy miss.

More chance of platting fog than Mowbray being sacked or leaving he'll be here for another 2/3 years

Edited by PeteJD13

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Interesting post.

Mowbray is not as despised as Kean was, not by a long stretch. But even when Kean was here there was hope, there was an outlet. Enough people cared enough to try to bring about a change. Ultimately, IMHO, they did as they brought Shebby to the fore and things became very uncomfortable for him from that moment onwards.

This time out, it just feels relentless. A constant recurring theme of mediocrity, with no bogeyman, nobody to complain to and nobody who cares enough to complain, not even most other fans. And it just goes on forever.

It must have been how Bill Murray’s character felt in Groundhog Day at the point he was trying to end it all.

Conversely, for many fans Mowbray is the best and only man for the job - until he eventually does leave, at which point those same fans will say he had gone past his sell-by date and it was the right time to leave. But not a minute sooner.

I'd say this is way more akin to Bowyer's reign for those reasons then. Universally appreciated for steadying the ship but, like Mowbray, failed to get us into the top 6 with a capable squad. He had the owner's trust and I remember feeling like he was bulletproof but, in the end, got sacked seemingly out of nowhere. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

I'd say this is way more akin to Bowyer's reign for those reasons then. Universally appreciated for steadying the ship but, like Mowbray, failed to get us into the top 6 with a capable squad. He had the owner's trust and I remember feeling like he was bulletproof but, in the end, got sacked seemingly out of nowhere. 

Very good post. Sums it up perfectly for me. Anyone mentioning Mowbray and kean in the same sentence is bang outta order. 

• Like 4

Surprised they have still  not sacked him ... 

Whu Loan out our Academys 21 - 23 stars who are high flying and replacing them with 18 year old kids .... How desperate can he get ...

The Subs he makes during games smack of I have no idea what am doing ....He comes across as a know it’ all type ... I will look back on his time at Rovers with a bad taste ... Wasted Millions .. like Pullis said he’s been lucky he’s been backed at a normal run club he would have been potted long time ago .....just don’t understand

Alas Venkys they go from one extreme to another .... 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

I was told a while ago by someone with club connections who said we could go down and Mowbray would be safe, the owners like him. Interesting that on the under cosh podcast Luke Steele mentions how dour mowbray was. I dont think he'll get sacked regardless of how badly we perform i'm starting to feel really apathetic todays game was an easy miss.

More chance of platting fog than Mowbray being sacked or leaving he'll be here for another 2/3 years

I think that's about Venky's level of thinking on all this - is Tony a nice man? If so, he'll do for us. 

I think it is funny how there are so many third parties, neutrals and rival clubs fans who seem to be under the impression that Mowbray is the best thing since sliced bread and that Rovers fans are deluded/unrealistic/clueless for suggesting a change is needed.

Of course most of these buffoons don't watch Rovers with any regularity nor do they have any emotional investment in the club and are quite comfortable with us coasting along making up the numbers and being nice guys and the neutrals favourites.

Usually they harp on about what great business we've done or how unlucky we are or what a good style of football we have. Of course all meaningless but just like when rival managers are heaping praise on us it is usually a sign that the opposition are quite happy with where we are and what we do.

The point at which rivals and the top sides start to feel genuinely threatened by us and we employ a style and tactics to ruffle feathers and grind out results winning ugly and nasty at times is precisely the point at which these third parties, media people and rivals suddenly start calling us, complaining about us and moaning about us. I'll know then that we are in business. Remember Souness, Hughes and Allardyce didn't get many plaudits or pats on the back from rivals because they aggravated rivals.

I see that Danny Cowley is looking for a job with him and his brother both doing punditry work today. I think we could do worse. Up and coming, recharged, fresh methods and ideas. Don't think he gets the credit he deserves for hauling Huddersfield to safety either. I'll always like him for dumping the dingles out of the cup the other year too. 

Sadly such an appointment is just too logical for this club. Stick with the same old and go nowhere because he's a nice man and we've a nice bunch of lads here. Oh and a few injuries too.

• Like 3

Other clubs, neutrals? I’d say a fair chunk of our fanbase too!

But yes for those who don’t follow closely, part of it is down to longevity. ‘4 years in a Championship job? Obviously doing a great job’.

They are not to know of the dumbing down of expectations and standards and owners that tune in one day a year when Chief Ex and manager make their annual show of fealty in Pune.

• Like 2

How many neutrals and third parties thought Kean was doing well as the club burnt. So they can fuck off when it comes to matters concerning Blackburn Rovers. Then how many of our own fans were slow to see this and even then reluctant to criticise back then.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

• Like 7

Mowbray is here until his contract ends in 2022 unless he resigns which I feel is highly unlikely. And we will still be treading water in mid table with sparse crowds and the debt increasing.

We are on the road to nowhere with these owners.

It’s the morning after the day before....and how do I feel ???
just as disenfranchised from my club 
just as embarrassed by Mowbray   
just as disbelieving at the level of technical ability and levels of fitness I witnessed yesterday 
just as sad that ( when permitted ) I will not enter Ewood to support him
just as certain that the gate will be even smaller , and continue to get even smaller with this man 
just as hopeless.....and it’s the last point which gets me the most 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Mowbray is here until his contract ends in 2022 unless he resigns which I feel is highly unlikely. And we will still be treading water in mid table with sparse crowds and the debt increasing.

We are on the road to nowhere with these owners.

The danger is , he maybe offered a new contract ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Waggy76 said:

The danger is , he maybe offered a new contract ...

If he wants a new contract he will get one. It might take the owners 6 months to sort out but they will do it without question. 

The question is whether Mowbray will want one. By then he'll have had 5 years and I firmly believe the owners will be into cost cutting mode by that point. I doubt he'd want to stick around for that part of our journey. 

Thats why change asap is needed because the likes of Armstrong, Elliott and Dack won't be here much longer. We need new ideas to make the most of them whilst we can and even when they go we need new ideas when it comes to replacing them.

11 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I think that's about Venky's level of thinking on all this - is Tony a nice man? If so, he'll do for us. 

To be honest with you Hoochie after king rat, Coyle, Singh, Agnew, Shaw et al, I'm glad we have a decent guy at the club trying his best for Blackburn Rovers.

Will he take us up, probably not, but he won't take us down either, we've reached our level under Venky ownership, its doesn't get any better than this in my opinion, regardless who the manager is.

Edited by Gav

Just now, Gav said:

To be honest with you Hoochie after king rat, Coyle, Singh, Agnew, Shaw et al, I'm glad we have a decent guy at the club trying his best for Blackburn Rovers.

Will he take us up, probably not, but he won't take us down either, we've reached our level under Venky ownership, its doesn't get any better than this in my opinion.

He's obviously better than those you mention, and I don't disregard the good things he's achieved, but he isn't really the answer. I think we can all agree it'll be a miracle if he gets us in the Play Offs let alone the Prem. I still have hope they'll appoint someone with genuine ability like they very nearly did with Warnock. I don't care if they are nice. I just want them to be very good at their job. I admit it's probably a forlorn hope. 

• Like 2