BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

• Moderation Lead

It’s hardly unreasonable to question the spending on giving out contracts to players who never made an appearance that we have ended up sacking off. Or to give people a wage to use our facilities when they weren’t anywhere near the team.

Or, for when the club wouldn’t give anyone refunds and pled poverty. 
It’s all money that could have been used to help improve the pitch....

2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I would certainly be prepared to give him until the end of the season. I know people are frustrated with things but I do think that there has been some improvement; right now our problem is getting the first goal in games - when we do we go on and win. We are a bit like Leicester in that we are at our best when the opposition are pushing on against us ; unlike Leicester we have not yet advanced to the position of making it more difficult for the opposition to get that first goal and having the ingenuity in midfield to open the opposition up to score it. However I don't think we are a million miles away - particularly as we have a lot of young players. 

What I am simply not going to do is join those who find fault with everything - the latest being blaming the manager for a game being postponed.

To be fair though, it’s a hard fought race between you and chaddy to be mowbrays biggest fan. 
found your comment about getting first goal a little strange. If we are the better team and create the better chances then we score 1st, 2nd , 3rd etc. Stop conceding and we might win, but that’s on the manager to sort the defence and the mindset 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

If we haven't improved defensively why are we conceding fewer goals per game than the last 2 seasons ?

I think this is as much accident or law of averages rather than some grand design on the manager's part.

I just think that having been in place now for 4 years and had 8 transfer windows at it, working our way through loads of defenders and midfielders sooner or later there will be a downturn in numbers conceded.  

It is quite clear that Mowbray doesn't take defending seriously or if he does is incapable of organizing a defence. 

Persist with things long enough or shuffle personnel countless times and eventually there will be stats that suggest improvement is being delivered.

In the end our league position, points total and number of wins all show progress isn't being made, and even if we end up ever so slightly higher or with a few more points than last year I don't feel that represents sufficient progress given the time he has had and fair wind behind him. Other managers have done far, far better in far less time with more difficult conditions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

9 points off the play-offs now (albeit we have one game in hand on sixth).

You're better off checking who the manager is, if it's still Mowbray then you know we don't have a chance.

3 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Interesting..

I think that the very act of giving back word to Warnock and Jepson, in order to install Coyle actually typifies the Venky's dire model.

The claim had been made that promotion was not possible under Warnock.

I posted 'IF' .....

What you say is quite correct and by definition so is what Gav posted.

Again. I posted 'IF' ....

example : IF only Warnock had been with Agent kickback we would have been promoted.

3 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Absolutely a loan spell. 

I think the fact he hasn't been out tells it's own story.  He's hardly pulling up trees here to warrant him stopping around, so why hasn't he ever been on loan.

Simple, lower league managers need loans to do a specific job. Buckley offers nothing to nobody down there like a Wharton or Magliore, etc...believe me, them lads in league 1 and 2 are desperate for quality.  Buckley just isn't on their list. 

Mowbray needs to do more for the lad to get him regular football...he needs to develop but it's not here.

6 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

IF Warnock had been appointed and given the transfer funds made available to Mowbray the we would have gone up and under Vs dire ownership model.

That's the camp I'm in. 

A decent track record in terms of promotions 'Colin' certainly has.

If I gave him a tenner to buy something for me for £8.99, he'd give me no change and tell me that it really cost a score!

Edited by darrenrover

18 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

A decent track record in terms of promotions 'Colin' certainly has.

If I gave him a tenner to buy something for me for £8.99, he'd give me no change and tell me that it really cost a score!

I wonder if the Players elite committee still run HT discussions at Rovers.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I wonder if the Players elite committee still run HT discussions at Rovers.

Yep, AAA, we could definitely do with a piece of that instead of fecking Mary Berry taking HT talks!

"Look like you want to play for THE ROVERS!!!"

IMG_0008.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, K-Hod said:

For goodness’s sake, can we stop another thread turning into a John Buckley debate please? I’m going to create a John Buckley thread for you all to go nuts in.

The end.

Yea but John Bu... 😂 

Steering the topic back on thread:.

Time is running out for Tony. I said earlier this season that we need to see a proper improvement in final position and I just can’t see us ever breaking the consistency barrier to achieve it.

That said, the change for me comes when it’s mathematically certain / the summer.

I certainly wouldn’t have any negative or bad memories towards TM for his job done, I’m sure even he would agree that a step backwards this season, regardless of injuries or pandemic issues, is simply not good enough.

I don’t “get” the reactive stuff to his interviews, I am however increasingly concerned by his body language next to the pitch - but I guess this may be a sign his frustration echoes our own.

Faith in those behind the scenes to make positive proactive decisions is obviously a concern, out of interest; does anyone know when Tony’s contract runs out?

To summarise:

We’re on a journey

When he took over we were 15 games away from relegation, we got good results but still went down

Praises Dack

Wr have moved on from Dack, Smallwood and Mulgrew

We are on a journey

We started the season like a house on fire but we’ve lost our consistency

He had to change the mindset of the players to tell them that we should be pushing for the top 6... this is Blackburn Rovers, PL champions in 1995, we need to push in from mid table

We have no centre halves and Bradley Johnson - a midfield player has had to play there

We lost Wharton who started the season as centre half, Ayala who has two promotions and Derrick Williams tore his hamstring off the bone

we’ve had 15 positive Covid tests 

Praises Branthwaite

We had no right backs and a left back had to play there

Harvey Elliott is a boy, Klopp trusts us to do right by him because Mowbray has values he lives by and has loaned players while at Cov

We are on a journey

He’s spoke to some Premier League managers about some of our players

He’s honest, Armstrong is a young boy and he tells the managers he’s not ready yet

He’s also spoke to managers about Rothwell and Nyambe

Wants to see our players in the prem, hopefully with us. He wants to sit in his armchair and watch them on match of the day

The fans demand results, but hopefully they can see we are on a journey 

Fans of a certain vintage remember Shearer and Sutton, he remembers Ripley and Sherwood

There is no pleasing some of those fans

Its important we all stick together

People on social media these days always talk about how he’s picked the wrong team or made the wrong subs

Talk moves to Venky’s... when they came in we were comfortably top half of the Prem with Big Sam, when he took over we were 15 games away from league one

The owners are humble, honest and full of integrity

They run very different businesses and wouldn’t profess to be football experts

He’s been to see them four or 5 times

They understand we are on a journey

They understand we have no centre halves and Bradley Johnson - a midfield player has had to play there

They understand we had no right backs and a left back had to play there

Hopefully we can get a solid defence and finish the season strongly 

Edited by Miller11
Forgot the bit about the Covid tests
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

2 wins in 6 to start the season was it? And 3 in about 9 or 10? We never had any consistency (apart from showing consistent mid-table form).

Thanks a lot for the summary btw.

Edited by frosty
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

He’s honest, Armstrong is a young boy and he tells the managers he’s not ready yet

Picked just two points out of your very good summary - couldn't stand to listen to him. 

IMO, usual self preservation bullsh1t to keep our owners and happy clappers naively happy.

Armstrong is 24 in 3 weeks times -  FFS Mowbray, HE IS NOT A YOUNG BOY.  You look at many players of 24 or under and see what they've achieved in terms of club, appearances, goals, medals and international caps. 

Yep, he wants a strong finish to the season as, IMO, it gives him another season and on and aimlessly on we will go.

IMO, Mowbray is a clown and we need him out now.

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

To summarise:

We’re on a journey

When he took over we were 15 games away from relegation, we got good results but still went down

Praises Dack

Wr have moved on from Dack, Smallwood and Mulgrew

We are on a journey

He had to change the mindset of the players to tell them that we should be pushing for the top 6... this is Blackburn Rovers, PL champions in 1995, we need to push in from mid table

We have no centre halves and Bradley Johnson - a midfield player has had to play there

We lost Wharton who started the season as centre half, Ayala who has two promotions and Derrick Williams tore his hamstring off the bone

Praises Branthwaite

We had no right backs and a left back had to play there

Harvey Elliott is a boy, Klopp trusts us to do right by him because Mowbray has values he lives by and has loaned players while at Cov

We are on a journey

He’s spoke to some Premier League managers about some of our players

He’s also spoke to managers about Rothwell and Nyambe

Wants to see our players in the prem, hopefully with us. He wants to sit in his armchair and watch them on match of the day

The fans demand results, but hopefully they can see we are on a journey 

Fans of a certain vintage remember Shearer and Sutton, he remembers Ripley and Sherwood

There is no pleasing some of those fans

Its important we all stick together

People on social media these days always talk about how he’s picked the wrong team or made the wrong subs

Talk moves to Venky’s... when they came in we were comfortably top half of the Prem with Big Sam, when he took over we were 15 games away from league one

The owners are humble, honest and full of integrity

They run very different businesses and wouldn’t profess to be football experts

He’s been to see them four or 5 times

They understand we are on a journey

They understand we have no centre halves and Bradley Johnson - a midfield player has had to play there

They understand we had no right backs and a left back had to play there

Just to double check - are we on a journey? 

Every one of his points is actually a backhanded criticism of himself or a lie! 

No defenders - his fault for assembling the squad. 

Having to change the attitude - his fault for not doing after 4.5 years!

Owners being good eggs, and no pleasing fans - pure lies. 

Journey - absolute lies. Journeys have progress and we aren't. Journeys don't take as long as this without tangible improvements. 

Honestly if anyone didn't want him gone before this then they should now. Lies and excuses that only highlight his ineptness. 

• Like 2