BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Lots of chat about developing footballers and the club now having assets. H quickly adds that he's also all about 'winning' as that is what Rovers fans demand. Thought it was interesting that that was an afterthought. He then talks about journeys and how social media gives a platform for people to criticise his team selections, tactics 'blah blah blah'. Bit touchy Tony! Fancy fans having an opinion. He then mentioned journeys again.... 

For an honest, humble, working-class lad (his words) he's massively full of himself. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 1

The club gets such an easy ride from local media (and the crowd most of the time) they are unsurprisingly in a bubble - when that bubble is pricked every now and then they don’t respond well.

I.e last season when Sharpe was rounded upon by the players for being *slightly* critical of SG and when TM got arsey when the fans showed their displeasure in the Barnsley home game.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Thing is if fans are always criticising your team selections - that strongly suggests you are getting them wrong! 

You can fool some of the people all the time and all that. If your selections are constantly questioned there's probably a reason for it. 

Also speaking of contradictions - he says Venkys don't know much about football (ha! understatement of the year) but they do understand we are on a journey. Impressive how they can know nothing and take a long term view at the same time. 

4 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Tony has evidently been reading this board. Just to clarify for him I'm not unhappy with his performance as manager because you aren't winning the premiership. I'm unhappy because he can't assemble or organize a defence, can't get us above mid table and are regressing, have made some terrible blunders in the transfer market and because he plays players stupidly out of position - Buckley and Gally being two prime examples. 

• Like 3

Just now, Blue blood said:

Tony has evidently been reading this board. Just to clarify for him I'm not unhappy with his performance as manager because you aren't winning the premiership. I'm unhappy because he can't assemble or organize a defence, can't get us above mid table and are regressing, have made some terrible blunders in the transfer market and because he plays players stupidly out of position - Buckley and Gally being two prime examples. 

Come on mate, he's had a left back at right back for, er, erm, hmm, 1 game. And all his CB's are injured. You know like the massively injury prone one he signed called Ayala. 

I don't think he's been a bad manager at rovers and I actually respect the job he's done. We could still be in L1 under different circumstances and a different managers. But he talks utter bollox and is full of excuses for his own failings. He actually came across as a arrogant on that podcast IMO, and I've never thought that about him before. 

12 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

That would be Mark Clemmit the born and bred Middlesbrough fan,Mowbray is probably one of his heroes from his younger days as fan.

That adds up - you could sense he had a hard on for Tony (if only Boro would take him off our hands). I wish the likes of Clemmit had actually watched us this season - he’s soon realise where we’re really at.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

2 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Just to double check - are we on a journey? 

Every one of his points is actually a backhanded criticism of himself or a lie! 

No defenders - his fault for assembling the squad. 

Having to change the attitude - his fault for not doing after 4.5 years!

Owners being good eggs, and no pleasing fans - pure lies. 

Journey - absolute lies. Journeys have progress and we aren't. Journeys don't take as long as this without tangible improvements. 

Honestly if anyone didn't want him gone before this then they should now. Lies and excuses that only highlight his ineptness. 

That's the journey he has us on.... 

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hes going to say things like this though, he wants to protect and preserve his job and theres nothing wrong with that. It should be based on whats on the pitch which is why he needs to go. No problem with him defending himself.

What was he defending himself against? It was the podcast equivalent of a Hello magazine fluff piece. 

What a ridiculous piece from Mowbray. As if anyone expects us to be at exactly the same level we were when Sutton and Shearer were here.

What grinds my gears the most is when he constantly plays the humble, down to earth working class hero card. How does that tally with constantly wasting the owners money on overly generous contract extensions for players that are past their best or were never good enough in the first place or both, other players that clearly were never going to play for us, and an ongoing  stream of questionable signings through his Middlesbrough connections.

And if we want to be pernickety about it we're more or less where we were when he joined - fifteen (poor) games away from returning to League 1. We're certainly not progressing.

The ramblings of a desperate man scrabbling  hard to preserve his cushy number aboard the good ship "long term plan".

He's spotted that the owners aren't football experts, has wormed his way into their confidence, has got his mate appointed as his boss for extra security and is determined to eke the job out as long as possible and squeeze every last penny he can out of the V's for his own family's benefit.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I’d look into why Mowbray has done the interview. Not his style. Obv wanted to get his point across. Under pressure?

Sadly the excuses and banging on about the journey are his style Paul. That's the problem. 

That said I think you are right that he might be under pressure to do such a large amount of self preservation in one go. 

2 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Sadly the excuses and banging on about the journey are his style Paul. That's the problem. 

That said I think you are right that he might be under pressure to do such a large amount of self preservation in one go. 

I haven’t known him ever volunteer for an external interview like that before? Timing seems too much of a coincidence and if you listen to the podcast he barely gets asked any questions. Just rolls straight into his life story and protecting what he’s done! Seems strange....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I haven’t known him ever volunteer for an external interview like that before? Timing seems too much of a coincidence and if you listen to the podcast he barely gets asked any questions. Just rolls straight into his life story and protecting what he’s done! Seems strange....

Lol..What do you expect? Critical journalistic analysis?

1 minute ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Lol..What do you expect? Critical journalistic analysis?

No, just feel like he set the interview up to get HIS point across. You have to wonder about the timing and his motivation...”the owners understand that we’ve had three Cb’s out...well I hope they do..” 👀

6 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

For an honest, humble, working-class lad (his words) he's massively full of himself. 

...and never at fault for anything, it's always someone or something else that is to blame.

May 2019: "Tony, KPMG say you can either have a Danny Graham or a £1.5 million new pitch, the best in the country but you can't have both. What'll it be?"..........

....January 2021?

TAXI

• Like 1