BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Waggott must have had well over £1 million out of the club over the last 3 years.

Can anyone identify what improvements he has delivered to the club?

It seems he has little to no input in the football operations, which are managed by Mowbray and budgeted for from India.

He may be a good administrator, but that salary seems excessive for that alone.

Has he improved attendances, ticket sales, commercial performance, facilities?

I suspect whatever improvements there have been probably amount to less than his salary.

As for ticketing and commercial policies those leave a lot to be desired. He's reduced our already diminished fanbase.

As I've said before we need better - someone who actually has a track record of delivering growth and development in professional sports. Cast the net wide. At £300,000 a year we should be able to scour America and Europe for top drawer executives with ambition and know how of how to grow clubs and numbers.

Instead we've got Mowbray's mate counting down the days to retirement and experienced at basket case lower division clubs Charlton and Coventry.

All very strange but this club could and should be doing much better.

Hopefully the two come as a package and we get a much needed upgrade in both departments.

I see Mick McCarthy favourite for Cardiff. There's another obvious and sensible manager who is a better manager than Mowbray will ever be. Results will prove it so. 

"But who would we get to replace him"?

32 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Waggott must have had well over £1 million out of the club over the last 3 years.

Can anyone identify what improvements he has delivered to the club?

It seems he has little to no input in the football operations, which are managed by Mowbray and budgeted for from India.

He may be a good administrator, but that salary seems excessive for that alone.

Has he improved attendances, ticket sales, commercial performance, facilities?

I suspect whatever improvements there have been probably amount to less than his salary.

As for ticketing and commercial policies those leave a lot to be desired. He's reduced our already diminished fanbase.

As I've said before we need better - someone who actually has a track record of delivering growth and development in professional sports. Cast the net wide. At £300,000 a year we should be able to scour America and Europe for top drawer executives with ambition and know how of how to grow clubs and numbers.

Instead we've got Mowbray's mate counting down the days to retirement and experienced at basket case lower division clubs Charlton and Coventry.

All very strange but this club could and should be doing much better.

Hopefully the two come as a package and we get a much needed upgrade in both departments.

I see Mick McCarthy favourite for Cardiff. There's another obvious and sensible manager who is a better manager than Mowbray will ever be. Results will prove it so. 

"But who would we get to replace him"?

With respect "top drawer executives" expect to receive a great deal more than £300k.

• Like 1

I particularly liked this bit:

“I hope that I’ve brought a football mentality, I bring values to a club, I live my life by a certain set of values and I’m from a working class family and I know what’s right and wrong and how to deal with life and that’s what they get from me, open and honesty, and that’s what my team get from me as well.

After the likes of King Rat, Coyle, Agnew, Singh and Shaw we must never under estimate what bringing a footballing mentality and morals back to the club actually means.

Its not the sexy part, most wouldn't give it a second thought, but bringing this ethos back to the club is a massive challenge after pillage and plunder by the scumbags above, but a challenge Tony Mowbray has succeeded in doing in my opinion and hopefully will set us up long term, as long as the next appointment isn't another disaster....

Edited by Gav
  • Like 3

I would say the League 1 relegation has led to the opposite of fans having ‘1995’ expectations.

Standards of what is acceptable and what the club should have aspirations to achieve has dropped markedly post L1, even from the not exactly halcyon days of the Bowyer era - which has helped TM out massively in keeping fans pressure for poor results and performances off his back.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

In short it is utter bull. And whilst I get morality is a tricky and complex subject to tell such a blatant lie, a complete fabrication, a distortion of reality, and all for the motive of protecting himself. Well, that doesn't smack of football values, honesty and integrity whatsoever. In fact, quite the reverse 

Sadly you've missed the point by a country mile Blue Blood, maybe take a step back, read what is written before putting the size 12's firmly on the mouth.

The football club was once run on sounds morals/values and real football ethos with the fans and community at its heart, thats been missing since Venkys took over.

I believe Mowbray has brought some of that ethos back, it’s not perfect, but it’s on the right track.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gav said:

“I hope that I’ve brought a football mentality, I bring values to a club, I live my life by a certain set of values and I’m from a working class family and I know what’s right and wrong and how to deal with life and that’s what they get from me, open and honesty, and that’s what my team get from me as well.

After the likes of King Rat, Coyle, Agnew, Singh and Shaw we must never under estimate what bringing a footballing mentality and morals back to the club actually means.

Its not the sexy part, most wouldn't give it a second thought, but bringing this ethos back to the club is a massive challenge after pillage and plunder by the scumbags above, but a challenge Tony Mowbray has succeeded in doing in my opinion and hopefully will set us up long term, as long as the next appointment isn't another disaster....

Sorry Gav but not buying it.

Think Mowbray is a master bullsh1tter and, sadly, too many fall for it.  To me, an evening with Mowbray in Blues Bar, Feb. 2019 merely cemented my long held suspicions. 

IMO, he's not the self purported humble, honest, man of integrity etc - he's in it for number one and it's all about self preservation as he very likely knows he will never get another relatively lucrative gig, with little pressure, like this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Sadly you've missed the point by a country mile Blue Blood, maybe take a step back, read what is written before putting the size 12's firmly on the mouth.

The football club was once run on sounds morals/values and real football ethos with the fans and community at its heart, thats been missing since Venkys took over.

I believe Mowbray has brought some of that ethos back, it’s not perfect, but it’s on the right track.

I did read it Gav. Thing is I disagree! 

Well not completely, it is better than the Kean years and the 5 managers fiasco but they still are a circus. Opperationally as our cancellation shows we are still being run badly, as does the managers from.an agency, managers appointing their bosses, long runs with poor points returns and no response. Factor in Waggot doing his best to squeeze money from the fans and I think it's hard to say we have the fans or a footballing ethos at the heart. It's better but still bad. It's certainly not praiseworthy. 

One area I did however think we may have upped our game.in was the lack of  immorality shown in the Kean era. However, against whilst not as bad overall as then, these comments are just as bad as anything Kean came out with. I won't repeat my rant save to say it's an utter fabrication detached from reality which I find utterly dishonest and immoral. That's probably why o reacted so strongly. I thought this circus master had a bit more integrity. As it is, those comments really do confirm he doesn't have the morals that I thought/hoped. They totally contradict the statement he makes about being open and honest. So yeah, strong reaction but far from an overreaction.  he says he knows right from wrong and is open and honest BUT he also says comments like this. The two are incongruous, with the latter making a mockery out of the former. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gav said:

All those points Mowbray has laid out above in that quote could apply to me also, but would you want me managing Rovers ? Talk is cheap.  It's what happens in that 90 minutes out on the pitch that matters. At the moment it's nowhere near good enough.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Gav said:

It's just a bloke virtue signalling. He's said it all before. I just want him to win football matches. That's his job, it's not his job to be the next Mother Theresa. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

It's just a bloke virtue signalling. He's said it all before. I just want him to win football matches. That's his job, it's not his job to be the next Mother Theresa. 

I agree with that Hoochie.

But I believe winning football matches starts at the ticket office window and works its way finally to the players on the pitch. You need the foundations right for the club to flourish, we've had rotten foundations since Venkys walked through the door.

I believe Mowbray has tried to firm up those foundations, its a start, but we've a long way to go.

27 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

I did read it Gav. Thing is I disagree! 

Factor in Waggot doing his best to squeeze money from the fans and I think it's hard to say we have the fans or a footballing ethos at the heart. It's better but still bad. It's certainly not praiseworthy. 

Disagreeing is fine 👍

Waggot is a million times better than Agnew, Shaw and Singh who weren't squeezing money out of the fans (Fans have a choice to pay or don't pay) They were feathering their own nests at the expense of the club and its staff. 

Things are much improved since then in my opinion.

Re that interview. He admits his preferred style didn’t work in league one before going direct. Closest I’ve heard him come to admitting personal errors. Still bemoans the state of the defence but fails to acknowledge he’s left it woefully light.

Still peddling the IF we win 3 on the bounce myth that we’ll be back in the play off mix. We won’t. IF we win 3 we’ll probably still be 6 points off it’s as if he forgets although there’s a 9 points gap teams above us will likely win most of their games.

That utter tripe he spouts about the gulf from league one really grates on me. It’s as if we were a Wycombe languishing in league 2 for decades. We had a championship squad lost no players, in fact improved it, spent one season down and came back up. 

Although he has a sense of humour referring to when big clubs trust him to bring on their players. The jewels in the crown of the Mogga CV Jack Stevens and Ryan Kent. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Gav said:

Disagreeing is fine 👍

Waggot is a million times better than Agnew, Shaw and Singh who weren't squeezing money out of the fans (Fans have a choice to pay or don't pay) They were feathering their own nests at the expense of the club and its staff. 

Things are much improved since then in my opinion.

Don't disagree things are better - in fact I am not sure they could get worse for that matter - my issue is saying things are good or even decent/normal/in place.

TM a million times better than Kean, no argument there. But I do disagree and think the evidence disagrees that he is an honest guy who knows right from wrong. Good guys don't make up comments like that. 

Waggot is better than the chancers before. Definitely but again this is not enough and doesn't mean he is competent. 

If anything the current regime is benefitting from having the lowest expectations and predecessors ever. It's a poor do when the standard is not as terrible as the last lot.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Don't disagree things are better - in fact I am not sure they could get worse for that matter - my issue is saying things are good or even decent/normal/in place.

TM a million times better than Kean, no argument there. But I do disagree and think the evidence disagrees that he is an honest guy who knows right from wrong. Good guys don't make up comments like that. 

Waggot is better than the chancers before. Definitely but again this is not enough and doesn't mean he is competent. 

If anything the current regime is benefitting from having the lowest expectations and predecessors ever. It's a poor do when the standard is not as terrible as the last lot.

Things are definitely vastly better than those dark dark days. But I’ll say this if that porcine toad Kean had ever so much as insinuated that fan expectations are in some way unrealistic because 25 years ago we watched Shearer it would have been high on the list of his legendary bullshit.

My stance is this if we lower our standards to merely better than it was before those who went before are still winning because we’ll never improve. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 4