BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

20 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Tony Mowbray: 'We'll see where the Rovers journey takes us' | Lancashire Telegraph

“At Middlesbrough we won eight away games in a row, top at Christmas for two years on the bounce, so great times, but they come to an end because you have a bad run.”

If this doesn't sum Mowbray up I don't know what does. It's like it's almost accepted that he'll have a bad run and the 'good times' will end. It's like it's just inevitable. Mowbray just doesn't have a winners mentality IMO.

I can’t bring myself to click on a Mowbray article anymore but going off the headline I’ll answer the question. The destination of the journey is 8th-14th

• Like 1

The only way Mowbray will leave or get potted is if he loses the dressing room, but as most of the players in the squad where hand picked by him or brought into the senior squad by him that's highly unlikely to happen. saddly. but we'll never do better than mid table in the championship with him and his transparent tactics, lack off a plan b..c... 

I'd say that I'd love to see Leslie back managing us, but can't see him coming to the championship unless its to a club with genuinely big ambitions and substantial transfer funds available.

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2

If our owners are serious about us getting back to the Premier League and doing it this season, today's game will have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that it will not be done under Tony Mowbray.

At other clubs realisation brings action to remedy. Here, it's 'It's Venkys. They haven't got a clue when it comes to football'.

I think its fair to say that most posters on the site would be over the moon to see a managerial change.

I've said on many occasions that as a club we aren't setup for promotion, far to many factors at play that make it almost impossible for us to progress, but thats just my opinion.

I was looking at the managerial merry-go-round earlier and it makes interesting reading:

Sheffield Wednesday and Bournemouth have changed managers twice this season.

Udders, Derby, Boro, Brum, Reading, Barnsley, Forest, Watford and Cardiff have changed once.

Looking at the list I would say only the change at Reading has made any significant difference, I'd also go as far as to say that they won't be in the Premiership next season either. Warnock has done well at Boro, but recent form has been awful, losing at home to us, Rotherham and Birmingham amongst others.  

Hughton at Forest has been poor, just above the relegation zone, some posters wanted him here.

It doesn't prove anything, but I think it shows that most sides in the same bracket as us financially/looking for playoff spots have seen little or no improvement by changing the manager. 

A word for Gareth Ainsworth, who some tipped to replace Mowbray, 16 points from 26 games, awful return, no thanks. 

Edited by Gav

When managers have a good track record in the main then seem to go somewhere and struggle there's often more to it than meets the eye. If certain things behind the scenes here allegedly mean we aren't set up for promotion then surely it's fair to assume similar things apply to some other clubs ?

Forest are a case in point.

What track record does Mowbray have for getting teams batting away in the championship top 6 ?   Other than a one off promotion at West Brom over a decade ago ?  A West Brom with a very different starting point than us at the time i presume.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Udders, Derby, Boro, Brum, Reading, Barnsley, Forest, Watford and Cardiff have changed once.

Hughton at Forest has been poor, just above the relegation zone, some posters wanted him here.

It doesn't prove anything, but I think it shows that most sides in the same bracket as us financially/looking for playoff spots have seen little or no improvement by changing the manager. 

Huddersfield have not changed managers this season, nor have Reading, nor have Boro and neither have Birmingham.  The clubs who have changed managers this season are Watford, Forest, Wednesday (twice), Derby, Cardiff, Barnsley and Bournemouth although they haven't yet appointed a new manager and have only changed once not twice as you stated.

Forest were in the relegation zone when Hughton took over now they are 18th and going well now Hughton has had a window to bring some of his players in. Derby were rock bottom when Cocu was sacked and are now out of the relegation zone and their defence has been significantly tightened up. Barnsley were 21st when their manager left now they sit 12th. Cardiff have only had 3 games with McCarthy but are unbeaten with 5 points from 3 games they had only taken 3 points from the previous 7 games before that. Bournemouth are yet to bring anyone in although they got there first win in a while yesterday after sacking the previous incumbent. Watford were 5th when they sacked their manager and are 5th now. Wednesday were 23rd when they sacked both of theirs and still sit 23rd. What that says to me is that no side this season that have sacked a manager have got worse and a fair few of them have improved. We know we have reached our ceiling with Mowbray, surely it's time to see if we can get someone into improve us. 

1 hour ago, Gav said:

A word for Gareth Ainsworth, who some tipped to replace Mowbray, 16 points from 26 games, awful return, no thanks. 

A remarkable achievement by him that Wycombe are even at this level. They've spent most their recent years in League 2 and have never been in the second tier of English football in their entire history so it is a remarkable job he has done just to have them in this division. Their squad is mainly composed of free transfers with a few young loan players. In 8 years at Wycombe he has barely spent a penny on transfer fees. The clubs record transfer fee was £200K back in 1999, that's just over 3 times less than what we paid for a full back to loan back to league 1.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 7

37 minutes ago, Gav said:

I think its fair to say that most posters on the site would be over the moon to see a managerial change.

I've said on many occasions that as a club we aren't setup for promotion, far to many factors at play that make it almost impossible for us to progress, but thats just my opinion.

I was looking at the managerial merry-go-round earlier and it makes interesting reading:

Looking at the list I would say only the change at Reading has made any significant difference, I'd also go as far as to say that they won't be in the Premiership next season either. Warnock has done well at Boro, but recent form has been awful, losing at home to us, Rotherham and Birmingham amongst others.  

This season, in my view was the best opportunity we have had since relegation from the PL to get promoted. I genuinely think we have a top six squad but we are falling short because we haven't got a manager who can utilise the potential we have. Mowbrays failings have held us back this season but even looking forwards the summer will represent another huge upheaval of the squad when the loan players and out of contract players leave. If we stick with Mowbray the oven ready excuses are there even for next season. To give us a chance this season we simply have to try something different and only a new manager can bring that. The opportunity is still there but that will recede as the weeks go by.

Any change of manager brings risk with it but we are stagnant and Mowbray, in my opinion just doesn't have what it takes to take us further.

• Like 8

My views on Mowbray have been well versed since he was even appointed.

As each match goes by, even 'die-hard' supporters like @Parsonblueare realising Mowbray is not the answer.

'Slow build' and 'evolution' are just trite soundbites with self preservation, IMO, being Mowbray's key objective.

I think we are way behind the footballing curve due to our managerial dinosaur.

Even 'the last of the Mohicans' @chaddyroversmust realise it's time for the club to end this, IMO, managerial farce and disaster.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Huddersfield have not changed managers this season, nor have Reading, nor have Boro and neither have Birmingham.

Pedantry in full swing as usual EA, the points still stand, Covid date changes not withstanding 👍

32 minutes ago, Mercer said:

My views on Mowbray have been well versed since he was even appointed.

As each match goes by, even 'die-hard' supporters like @Parsonblueare realising Mowbray is not the answer.

'Slow build' and 'evolution' are just trite soundbites with self preservation, IMO, being Mowbray's key objective.

I think we are way behind the footballing curve due to our managerial dinosaur.

Even 'the last of the Mohicans' @chaddyroversmust realise it's time for the club to end this, IMO, managerial farce and disaster.

Agreed. 

And in my opinion, I'm starting to dislike Mowbray to Kean levels.

35 minutes ago, Mercer said:

sadly not Mercer. 

Mowbray time at the club hasn't come to end at all. 

One defeat and the board is back to meltdown after 10 points from last 4 games. 

His time at the club hasn't been managerial farce or disaster at all. and its injustice to the job he has done at the club. 

• Like 3

@Gav won't quote whole post but I think you are doing a number of managers there a disservice. 

Wycombe has already been highlighted - bit surprised given how much you say we can't compete financially, that you haven't factored this in for them. 

The two I would disagree with are Boro and Barnsley. Boro have seen a bigger jump in 1 year with Warnock then TM has managed in three. What does that say for TMs ability? Also the Barnsley chap with very limited resources (again why isn't this factored in for other clubs?) has got them as a comfortable mid table side. Quite an achievement imo. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

sadly not Mercer. 

His time at the club hasn't been managerial farce or disaster at all. and its injustice to the job he has done at the club. 

The football on show is crap and putting to one side the battering of ten man teams earlier in the season it has been for a while. The team looks like a team that is bemused by what is being expected of it. If they are playing for him now I'd hate to see us when they stop playing for him.

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

sadly not Mercer. 

It should be coming to an end though. He can't break the glass ceiling of 7/8th place. 

His set ups and formations are confusing and rarely work and now we are chopping and changing between 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-2-2-2 (wtf is that formation all about?) It's mental. 

I see we reverted to the tried and failed false 9 bullshit again yesterday.

There is no consistent plan and its leading to no consistency on the pitch. 

We need a change if we are to ever have a realistic chance of promotion.

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

sadly not Mercer. 

All managers have a shelf life at any club. Mowbray has generally done a decent job, but after 3 seasons now in the Championship, it's obvious he's not taking us any further. That's no slur on him, it's just the reality of his level of ability.

• Like 4