BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

24 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The football on show is crap and putting to one side the battering of ten man teams earlier in the season it has been for a while. The team looks like a team that is bemused by what is being expected of it. If they are playing for him now I'd hate to see us when they stop playing for him.

Results are all that matters. Yes I want us to play good football but not always possible, 

You have no idea if the team look bemused at all. I dont see how you post such comments from watching a stream of a game if thats how you watch the game. 

23 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

It should be coming to an end though. He can't break the glass ceiling of 7/8th place. 

His set ups and formations are confusing and rarely work and now we are chopping and changing between 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-2-2-2 (wtf is that formation all about?) It's mental. 

I see we reverted to the tried and failed false 9 bullshit again yesterday.

There is no consistent plan and its leading to no consistency on the pitch. 

We need a change if we are to ever have a realistic chance of promotion.

The owners have sanction Mowbray to sign a player for next season so its appear he will be here next season. 

I dont see how any of them formations are confusing tbh. 

4-2-2-2 is used by Hasenhuttl at Southampton regular there and at his previous clubs. 

I watched Ancelotti change formation twice in 10 minutes at Old Trafford when different subs came on. The players understood what he wanted and how to do it. They got a point yesterday. They started 4-1-2-1-2 then change to 4-2-3-1 when Sigurdsson came on then minutes later he change to 4-4-2 when Josh King came on.  

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Results are all that matters. Yes I want us to play good football but not always possible, 

You have no idea if the team look bemused at all. I dont see how you post such comments from watching a stream of a game if thats how you watch the game. 

The owners have sanction Mowbray to sign a player for next season so its appear he will be here next season. 

4-2-2-2 is used by Hasenhuttl at Southampton regular there and at his previous clubs. 

I watched Ancelotti change formation twice in 10 minutes at Old Trafford when different subs came on. The players understood what he wanted and how to do it. They got a point yesterday. They started 4-1-2-1-2 then change to 4-2-3-1 when Sigurdsson came on then minutes later he change to 4-4-2 when Josh King came on.  

You're obsessed with systems. It's 11 versus 11. You get your 11 to win their individual battles against their immediate opponents and happy days are here again. If you don't do that you're more likely to lose than win. Coherent systems of play help but they're not the be all and end all. The further up the food chain you are regarding the ability of your players the smarter you can be tactically. If you're shopping in Pound World you're better of deciding on a way of playing and sticking to it. Dyche has done well at the dingledome with a very average group of players by having a way of playing and sticking to it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You're obsessed with systems. It's 11 versus 11. You get your 11 to win their individual battles against their immediate opponents and happy days are here again. If you don't do that you're more likely to lose than win. Coherent systems of play help but they're not the be all and end all. The further up the food chain you are regarding the ability of your players the smarter you can be tactically. If you're shopping in Pound World you're better of deciding on a way of playing and sticking to it. Dyche has done well at the dingledome with a very average group of players by having a way of playing and sticking to it.

Who obsessed with Systems? 

I just commented at what Ancelotti did yesterday. 

Your obsessed with Dyche and the dingles down the road. 

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree he'll be here next season come what may but i don't think the sanctioning of Pickering has anything to do with it.

It sounds like the recruitment team can bring in these types for the future if it gets signed off upstairs. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The difference is Ancelotti is an excellent tactical manager who has won 3 Champions League's and multiple domestic trophies all over Europe. He knows what he is doing and looking for when he changes his system. Mowbray on the other hand has no idea tactically how to change a game he just throws on as many attackers on as possible and hopes for some individual brilliance from one of them to bail him out.

If Mowbray was behind like Ancelotti last night he wouldn't have made a few little tactical tweaks he'd have had 5 or 6 attackers on the pitch with no shape or structure whatsoever just an over complicated mess.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

sadly not Mercer. 

Mowbray time at the club hasn't come to end at all. 

One defeat and the board is back to meltdown after 10 points from last 4 games. 

His time at the club hasn't been managerial farce or disaster at all. and its injustice to the job he has done at the club. 

Chaddy .....I cannot believe that you feel this message board goes

“ into meltdown after 10 points from 4 games “ ......get a grip man ....Most posts convey a far bigger picture... the journey, the slow build, the inability to progress a player, limited tactical awareness, square pegs / round holes, a team which mirrors his demeanour, some weary signings, a slow death , jam tomorrow ......bugger all to do with the last 4 games .....where have you been for the last 3 plus years ????????

Mowbray is one lucky man that Ewood is empty....he’s had far  too easy a ride .... don’t be sucked in with the last 4 games....did you actually WATCH the performances ??????

• Like 4

Funny isn't it. I think everyone or close to everyone accepts that Mowbray has done a good job here. Lots of talk about rebuilding the club, growing assets, stabilising us. All correct to varying degrees. Gary Bowyer did a good job too. Infact in terms of league finishes he did better. He got 2 and a bit seasons to carry out his rebuild from keeping us up after a complete shambles, but was then sacked as it became clear we weren't going anywhere. The vast majority of fans were supportive or accepting of that decision. He was fired after 2 close play off finishes. Why does Mowbray deserve longer? What has he delivered that makes him so much more deserving than Bowyer? Why was removing Bowyer completely fine but removing Mowbray is some dangerous, risky, unfair decision?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Why was removing Bowyer completely fine but removing Mowbray is some dangerous, risky, unfair decision?

Bowyer left us just above the relegation zone with 17 points from 16 games.

We are currently 6 points off a playoff place with a game in hand.

28 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I agree he'll be here next season come what may but i don't think the sanctioning of Pickering has anything to do with it.

It sounds like the recruitment team can bring in these types for the future if it gets signed off upstairs. 

Rovers have liked Pickering for a while. 

Hopefully we are scouting league 1 and 2 for gems aswell as European leagues aswell. 

11 minutes ago, Dolly blue said:

“ into meltdown after 10 points from 4 games “ ......get a grip man ....Most posts convey a far bigger picture... the journey, the slow build, the inability to progress a player, limited tactical awareness, square pegs / round holes, a team which mirrors his demeanour, some weary signings, a slow death , jam tomorrow ......bugger all to do with the last 4 games .....where have you been for the last 3 plus years ????????

Mowbray is one lucky man that Ewood is empty....he’s had far  too easy a ride .... don’t be sucked in with the last 4 games....did you actually WATCH the performances ??????

The crowd at Ewood has never turned on Mowbray at all. Only once was it close and thats was the Barnsley home game which we won 3-2. 

How has he had easy ride? what a load of BS comment

Yes I do watch or listen the games depends when the games is. Until the lockdown I had never missed a home league game under Mowbray and attend around half of the away league games per season. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

How has he had easy ride? what a load of BS comment

Other managers in the league including Pulis have said he's been very lucky to have excellent backing from the owners and seems to be under very little pressure to deliver.

That's an easy ride

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

Bowyer left us just above the relegation zone with 17 points from 16 games.

We are currently 6 points off a playoff place with a game in hand.

Context. He'd had to sell his best players and fill the void with likes of Koita or whatever his name was. Let's see how we'll we'd do without Travis, AA and Lenihan for example. And Bowyer finished higher than Mowbray ever has when he had his best players available. So if you wanted Bowyer out it seems strange you don't want Mowbray out. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

sadly not Mercer. 

Mowbray time at the club hasn't come to end at all. 

One defeat and the board is back to meltdown after 10 points from last 4 games. 

His time at the club hasn't been managerial farce or disaster at all. and its injustice to the job he has done at the club. 

Come on, chaddy, it's not meltdown, it's sheer frustration.

Managerial farce and disaster are not criteria that get a manager the sack at our club. Ke-n and Coyle were a managerial farce and disaster from appointment. We still don't know who did actually appoint Coyle. If you want managerial farce there are Appleton and Berg.

I like Mowbray. He's passionate about football. I wanted him to take over that Christmas. I know we wouldn't have been relegated. Mowbray's actual performance turned me cold towards him. He got the goals from Graham and Gallagher to dry up. His 'let's-not-try-to-win' against Wolves. His 'let's-prepare-for-a-completely-different-team' against Barnsley. The piece de resistance was the final game of that season. We'd scored 3 and could have had 6. Mowbray stops attacking and we're relegated on goal difference.

Mowbray's admitted he lucked in to the team and formation in league 1. Luck, chaddy, not skill. That's not been the case in the Championship.

I feel the division is there for the taking. Yeah, that's optimism. Since Christmas, Brentford have seized their destiny in both hands. Mowbray has come out with 'let's-see-where-the-journey-takes-Rovers'. That's relying on luck and he sounds resigned to not getting promotion.

I reckon Mourinho will soon be free. Let's try to hire him. No chance, eh chaddy. Who thought Leeds would land Bielsa? Perhaps Mercer did and bought himself some really expensive wine.

Bournemouth without their previous manager turned in a win.

It really is time to call time on Mowbray and bring in a manger to achieve promotion, whilst there are enough games to do that.

54 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It doesn't matter what Everton do or what Southampton do, it doesn't work at Blackburn Rovers.

The reason is that Mowbray and his coaches (probably the players too) aren't good enough to set the team up in one of 3/4 different set ups effectively. Which is why often look like a disorganised mess during games.

23 minutes ago, Dolly blue said:

Excellent post - saves me responding to @chaddyrovers

13 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

You've changed your tune.

Nail on head!

@chaddyrovershas been extolling the virtues of Mowbray's footballing philosophy for some time now.

IMO, for 4 years under Mowbray, our football, in the main, has been sh1te, sh1te and more sh1te.  It makes Sam's time here look like City under Pep at their best.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

Come on, chaddy, it's not meltdown, it's sheer frustration.

Managerial farce and disaster are not criteria that get a manager the sack at our club. Ke-n and Coyle were a managerial farce and disaster from appointment. We still don't know who did actually appoint Coyle. If you want managerial farce there are Appleton and Berg.

Yes it's a meltdown after one defeat after 10 points in 4 games 

Coyle has told us how he was appointed by the club. 

Appleton doing a good job at Lincoln and played very well on Friday night from what I watched

4 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

I reckon Mourinho will soon be free. Let's try to hire him. No chance, eh chaddy. Who thought Leeds would land Bielsa? Perhaps Mercer did and bought himself some really expensive wine.

Bournemouth without their previous manager turned in a win.

It really is time to call time on Mowbray and bring in a manger to achieve promotion, whilst there are enough games to do that.

Mourinho will be staying at Spurs. Still in the 3 cup comps and Kane has just come back. And they just won 2 nil. 

I wouldn't be calling time on Mowbray time at our club at all

There's only one sort of "good" football ...... winning football. 

It's all a matter of taste anyway. Guardiola's Barcelona were always praised but its tip-tap passing game bored me to tears. I used to switch the Champions League games with his sides off. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Excellent post - saves me responding to @chaddyrovers

Nail on head!

@chaddyrovershas been extolling the virtues of Mowbray's footballing philosophy for some time now.

IMO, for 4 years under Mowbray, our football, in the main, has been sh1te, sh1te and more sh1te.  It makes Sam's time here look like City under Pep at their best.

Same old Mercer. same old posts just a different day. Boring again. 

save you responsding to me but tagged me in the post anyway? :rolleyes:

Sam's time here look like City under Pep at their best? 😂

Edited by chaddyrovers

12 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Clough ontext. He'd had to sell his best players and fill the void with likes of Koita or whatever his name was. Let's see how we'll we'd do without Travis, AA and Lenihan for example. And Bowyer finished higher than Mowbray ever has when he had his best players available. So if you wanted Bowyer out it seems strange you don't want Mowbray out. 

Mowbray spent more on Gallagher than Bowyer spent on players during the whole of his tenure. And as we all know Gallagher isn't even Mowbray's most expensive signing. Bowyer had a net spend of about -£10 Million during his time here Mowbray has a net spend of about +£14 Million. I was no great fan Bowyer but he was a much better manager for us than Mowbray.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 6

Chaddy's right ...but for the wrong reasons.

Mowbray won't be sacked because he's continuing to do a "very good job" (which he plainly isn't).. He's not going anywhere because the owners like and trust him and believe in the story he has spun them about his "long term project".

Gives them an excuse to turn a blind eye to their English patient

2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Mowbray spent more on Gallagher than Bowyer spent on players during the whole of his tenure. And as we all know Gallagher isn't even Mowbray's most expensive signing. Bowyer had a net spend of about -£10 Million during his time here Mowbray has a net spend of about +£14 Million. I was no great fan Bowyer but he was a much better manager for us than Mowbray.

Cairney, Marshall, Gestede, Conway & Duffy all bought for about half of what Gally cost. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Context. He'd had to sell his best players and fill the void with likes of Koita or whatever his name was. Let's see how we'll we'd do without Travis, AA and Lenihan for example. And Bowyer finished higher than Mowbray ever has when he had his best players available. So if you wanted Bowyer out it seems strange you don't want Mowbray out. 

The question from JH wasn’t about context, it was about removing Bowyer and not Mowbray.

The fact Bowyer had players sold from under him is irrelevant, he was sacked because we were heading to league 1.

We are not heading to league 1 right now, I hope.

Edited by Gav

Just now, Gav said:

The question from JH wasn’t about context, it was about removing Bowyer and not Mowbray.

The fact Bowyer had players sold from under him is irrelevant, he was sacked because we were heading to league 1.

We are not heading to league 1 now.

Only one manager out of Mowbray and Bowyer took us to League 1. Also only one of them guided us to successive top 9 finishes in the Championship.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

We are not heading to league 1 now.

You've ignored the context again. We weren't heading to L1 before Bowyer had his best players sold from under him. And in fact we weren't heading there at all. We were 16th. If Mowbray hits 16th spot then should we sack him? 

Also, Bowyer saved us from relegation when he took over. Mowbray failed to do the same. Whatever way you slice it Bowyer did a better job than Mowbray, and with less money. Context or no context. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 2