BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Cardiff 2 up v Coventry and set for 11 points in 5 games under Mick McCarthy and set to go up to 7th. Not bad for an unfashionable dinosaur.

TM can only dream of McCarthys success. Several promotions to the Prem, managing an international side in (and to?) a major tournament, getting Ipswich punching above their weight. He's not an excellent manager but far better than Mr "I can play every player in the squad at right back". 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Good piece from Sharpe: http://bit.ly/3tSWOcx

If it weren’t for Covid he would have been hounded out of Brockhall again for that.

The Telegraph article is a very good summary of this messageboard. 

Plenty have been saying for a long time what the journalist has now articulated.

What I don't understand is that if Mowbray is doing a slow build to promotion why has he signed so many Premier league teenage loanees? They all have talent but I think that more than too puts too much on their shoulders.

I have also commented previously that if Mowbray is secure he should get new coaching staff in as the group he currently has isn't good enough. Yet that apparent security allows him to keep his mate Venus around.

I still blame Venkys for all of this. 10+ years of utter mismanagement.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

TM can only dream of McCarthys success. Several promotions to the Prem, managing an international side in (and to?) a major tournament, getting Ipswich punching above their weight. He's not an excellent manager but far better than Mr "I can play every player in the squad at right back". 

"Boring football" though, apparently.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

"Boring football" though, apparently.

Yeah in fairness TM adds much more intreague to proceedings. Not sure I've ever seen a McCarthy team and wondered how many different formations they will use in a match or what position the £5 million pound striker will play. TM certainly is far less boring in that respect I'm give them that. 

• Like 2

I am a TM fan, but he said a long time ago he would step aside when he thought he wasn’t getting through to the players. He isn’t getting through to them right now.

Someone said in the match thread that his biggest problem is this new 5 subs rule. He doesn’t know who to play where in the first 11, nevermind having so many options to tinker during the match.

He won’t leave and he won’t be sacked, at least not till end of season.

The 4-5-1 false nine crap needs to get permanently selved. The signing of Harwood-Bellis was bizarre. I do think he could try the wingback system that I have wanted to see every since Sheff Utd came here and destroyed us with it a few years back. It would allow us to play all three 3 Centre backs and Breo and Armstrong up front.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 2

Waggot would just present the stats to the owners telling them everything is going well we just aren't quite there yet. The stats will back it up even though they don't tell the true picture. Then they'll get told of the increasing squad value ( which is all that seems to matter ). Then the line about being still only 7 points off the play offs with all to play for.

No chance of any removal after all that even if it was considered. We all know it's more likely life will be found on Mars before May than us bridging the gap.

They don't though and i reckon they love being sold a positive delusional story more than anything.

• Like 1

I genuinely think Venkys are quite happy lolloping about at this level indefinitely as long as it doesn't cause them any aggravation. The £10-20 million a year thing seems to be quite manageable at their end and of greater importance is having a nice bloke telling them things they want to hear rather than someone they might not take a shine to telling them things they don't want to hear.

He ticks every box for them except the one that really matters for a football manager. He's diplomatic, a politician, a spokesman, will work with what they give him and plod around indefinitely. He'll also ensure a string of wins from time to time to keep us clear of trouble with a squad good enough to do it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

I genuinely think Venkys are quite happy lolloping about at this level indefinitely as long as it doesn't cause them any aggravation. The £10-20 million a year thing seems to be quite manageable at their end and of greater importance is having a nice bloke telling them things they want to hear rather than someone they might not take a shine to telling them things they don't want to hear.

He ticks every box for them except the one that really matters for a football manager. He's diplomatic, a politician, a spokesman, will work with what they give him and plod around indefinitely. He'll also ensure a string of wins from time to time to keep us clear of trouble with a squad good enough to do it.

For now. It's quickly gone South at all of his other clubs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, booth said:

For now. It's quickly gone South at all of his other clubs.

For now. Until the budgets are cut and sales begin. Like with Bowyer. Then it might be a slippery slope especially if Venkys lose faith in his project but stop short of potting him.

I don’t even think it’s a conspiracy theory that Mowbray might have compromised control of the team sheet for the January reinforcements (if that’s the right word).

Extra money has to be requested from India to pay for the young loanees (Elliott included.) We know Balaji gets star-struck with his failed film ventures.

TM: ”We are really close to getting in the playoffs, these top quality kids will push us there”

BR: “I can get players from City, Liverpool and Everton playing in my team?”

TM: “Yep, they are all top kids, all going to play for England.”

BR: “OK, money sent. They’ll be on the pitch every game though, right? Because that’s why you’re asking for them.”

TM: “Of course!”

I actually think that’s the most likely way it happened.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I don’t even think it’s a conspiracy theory that Mowbray might have compromised control of the team sheet for the January reinforcements (if that’s the right word).

Extra money has to be requested from India to pay for the young loanees (Elliott included.) We know Balaji gets star-struck with his failed film ventures.

TM: ”We are really close to getting in the playoffs, these top quality kids will push us there”

BR: “OK, money sent. They’ll be on the pitch every game though, right? Because that’s why you’re asking for them.”

I think it could be along these type of lines as you've alluded to.

Maybe said what he wants then told the recruitment team must bring them in not hi or his pals. Then told if you want them and we are paying then you must use them, ditto with the likes of Gallagher.

18 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Yeah but he ain’t. It’s Venkys. Fucking Venkys.

Kean, Berg, Appleton, Tosser Lambert and Fucking Owen Coyle Venkys.

You have to V with the Venky you’ve got.

If Venkys are a given and won’t sell then we are stuck with them. Everything is relative to that premise.

If Mowbray isn’t doing the necessary on the pitch he has to be replaced. The necessary is promotion, and as a minimum the play-offs. This season.

If every decision about the manager circles around to Venkys then we may as well pack in (or at least pack in messageboards) until they are gone. Because nothing matters. Not results, not performances, not pride in a local derby. We can’t even expect to watch eleven players busting a gut to win a game of football - because the manager isn’t accountable for any of that normal football stuff.

We either continue to demand better or find something else to do. We are watching the slow death of a football club and the only people benefitting are the ones with the power to do something about it.

Twist. Now. While we are still in with a shout.

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, Stuart said:

You have to V with the Venky you’ve got.

If Venkys are a given and won’t sell then we are stuck with them. Everything is relative to that premise.

If Mowbray isn’t doing the necessary on the pitch he has to be replaced. The necessary is promotion, and as a minimum the play-offs. This season.

If every decision about the manager circles around to Venkys then we may as well pack in (or at least pack in messageboards) until they are gone. Because nothing matters. Not results, not performances, not pride in a local derby. We can’t even expect to watch eleven players busting a gut to win a game of football - because the manager isn’t accountable for any of that normal football stuff.

We either continue to demand better or find something else to do. We are watching the slow death of a football club and the only people benefitting are the ones with the power to do something about it.

Twist. Now. While we are still in with a shout.

COME ON STUART, YOU KNOW IT'S WORTH THE EFFORT!!!

Keep the faith pal.

WE ARE The Rovers!!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I'm sure John that Mowbray would have dropped Pep, Carlo and Jurgen into the conversation. Balaji would have been orgasmic with that.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I'm sure John that Mowbray would have dropped Pep, Carlo and Jurgen into the conversation. Balaji would have been orgasmic with that.

No doubt Tony. We’ll be seeing all three on the pitch for every game no matter what. I also think it entirely likely that, having asked for and got the money for a recruitment dept., he’s been told they are making the decisions now. In any normal business when someone asks for money to spend on an asset, they don’t get the choice of not using it. The point being that all their chicken businesses are normal businesses and that’s how they run things.

Edited by Exiled in Toronto
  • Like 1

I don’t listen to many Mowbray interviews, as they usually all follow the same ‘point(s) in the bag move on’ (or no points, move on) routine with no discernible change in tone - but that Radio Lancs interview was something else; a bloke kind of knowing his race was run, struggling to get a tune out of his players and pretty much asking to be put out of his misery.

And he would be at normal clubs, but here we just stagger on, which leads to this total confusion and malaise you witness on and off the pitch on a match day.

• Like 1