BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

On 22/02/2021 at 18:46, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

4 years at the helm for old Tony today.

The journey continues...

And according to the mid-table maestro, its only just begun.

21 hours ago, WacoRover said:

Just listened to Roverschat on YouTube, “well done” & good discussion to all those involved. 

I must say, if Mowbray were to leave the team today, we are definitely in better shape than when he arrived. 

Now I can say, after listening to a very fair discussion, if Mowbray were to leave the team today, we might not feel so good about the immediate future:

1) lack of a name manager that is out there right now, that we could get;

2) money (it’s always money, isn’t it!?)

If we get body slammed by Watford, I’d be willing to see him given his walking papers, but I would not be rejoicing at the prospects of the remainder of the season under an interim manager, or someone that would not instill anymore confidence than I have right now. 

Not a fan of interim managers. When a team is on the decline, any new face at the helm stirs the players a bit and instills bit of belief back into he squad. Positive results follow but in the medium term, it doesn't last and after the initial positivity, the novelty wears off and the interim manager is found out and it all goes south again. Too late by this point, as the club have already handed them a 3 year contract.

We need a new manager no doubts but its beyond Venkys to scour the earth for the best available option.

Sounds like he was his usual charming self at the press conference. Rather than acting like a spoilt petulant child he ought to think himself lucky he gets such an easy ride from the press. Someone like Steve Bruce is questioned every week about his position, Mowbray get's easy questions and responds with insulting nonsense that they just lap up.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

And according to the mid-table maestro, its only just begun.

Not a fan of interim managers. When a team is on the decline, any new face at the helm stirs the players a bit and instills bit of belief back into he squad. Positive results follow but in the medium term, it doesn't last and after the initial positivity, the novelty wears off and the interim manager is found out and it all goes south again. Too late by this point, as the club have already handed them a 3 year contract.

We need a new manager no doubts but its beyond Venkys to scour the earth for the best available option.

That is the norm with a poor squad. In my opinion we have a good squad. What is needed is the squad deployed correctly. An interim manager may ,or may-not be able to succeed with this. I would settle for getting rid of Mowbray and lets see what happens. 

22 hours ago, WacoRover said:

I must say, if Mowbray were to leave the team today, we are definitely in better shape than when he arrived. 

The big worry is if he is still here this time next year (and I fear he will be) then I think that question might be a much more difficult one to answer.

• Like 2

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

"How about the promotion from League 1, Tony?"

"You could say that, but listen, this club shouldn't find itself in League 1, our aim is to be back in the Premier League and we are working towards that".

In an alternate universe the answer is:

"No doubt about it, winning the League 1 title. Although we were disappointed to find ourselves there, I thought we played some good stuff that season, and it was great seeing the lads lift the trophy at the end."

The difference being, in that universe TM has a winners mentality. 

For the record, I'm also married to Margot Robbie there, and drive a Lamborghini. It's a magical place!

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

The big worry is if he is still here this time next year (and I fear he will be) then I think that question might be a much more difficult one to answer.

Yes, I fully agree with that statement. I believe we’ve “maxed out” under his mgmt. 

I don’t think he can possibly last that long, considering the current state of affairs. We’re averaging a point a game... that’s definitely not enough to promote, and maybe not good enough to stay up. 

I’m glad the owners don’t have as itchy a trigger finger to can/sack managers as they used to, but a loss tomorrow, and they might find it much easier to do so. 

In the past whenever we've been on long lasing runs we've nevertheless had the knack of only losing narrowly and often grabbing a late consolation goal to falsely make things appear things were closer than they actually were.

Wonder if this will be the case tomorrow? I sort of feel like it will be a thumping.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

In the past whenever we've been on long lasing runs we've nevertheless had the knack of only losing narrowly and often grabbing a late consolation goal to falsely make things appear things were closer than they actually were.

Wonder if this will be the case tomorrow? I sort of feel like it will be a thumping.

Dreading it.

I have this vision of my youngest shaking his head, sighing "How can we be this shit?"

2 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Dreading it.

I have this vision of my youngest shaking his head, sighing "How can we be this shit?"

It's awful isn't it and we've had eleven years of this Arguably more if you go back to when Hughes left.

A whole generation of young fans lost.

6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

‘I talked about stats the other day didn't I last week? And one of those stats was we had the most touches in the opposition penalty area of anyone else in the league.’

Have I woken up in 2012?

-

‘Crooke - And I know you're not big on milestones but four years at a football club is a pretty big achievement, is there anything that stands out in your time as manager that you take great pride in? A proud memory or a favourite moment?’

Mowbray - No.

How petulant. Supposed professional football manager in his mid 50s. Either he’s on his way out or he really is just going through the motions - whatever it is isn’t good for the club.

Not only petulant but like most TM comments it's pretty damning of himself unintentionnally. If I hadnt something to be proud of within 4 years in a role I'd be offering my resignation.

• Backroom

Starting to actually hope Tony goes now, ideally that he walks. I'm reminded of the 'good resignation' speech from Malcolm Tucker:

It IS possible to have a good resignation, you know! Look, people really like it when you go just a bit early! You know, steely jawed, faraway look in your eyes!

Before they get to the point when they sitting round in pubs and say "Oh, that fucker's got to go!", you surprise them!

"Blimey, he's gone! I didn't expect that! Resigned! You don't see THAT much anymore! Old school! Respect! I rather liked the guy! He was hounded out by the fucking press!" How about that, ah? What a way to go! Yeah!

• Like 2

Most of the regular fans, even his critics, hold him in high esteem for promotion and turning around then stabilizing the club. I know i do, as well as his general conduct over most his time here. It was a refreshing change seeing someone humble, honest and only appearing to be driven by his love of being a manager.

He's in grave danger of all that going out the window recently as this season his interviews have gone increasingly bizarre. Now at the point of being an arrogant ignorant self preserver. 

It isn't the fans or medias fault hard questions now need asking this has been coming a while. Promotion, stability, some good signings and the odd impressive victory have covered over a lot very frustrating stuff.  It always catches up in the end but it seems he isn't prepared for it.

• Like 7

• Moderation Lead
9 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Dreading it.

Just show him a picture of Tony Mowbray, that ought to explain it....

• Like 3

“At the risk of repeating myself, I’m a performance related coach, I want to see my team play well and I’m never happy to lose, but sometimes it lessens the hurt when the team have functioned and created lots of chances and dominated possession.

“Of course we want to win. I sat and watched Brighton v Crystal Palace and it was unbelievable how Crystal Palace won that football match, it was so one-sided yet they lost 2-1 in the last minute"

Mowbray urges Rovers to 'keep believing' amid poor run | Lancashire Telegraph

Winning really doesn't matter to him does it? I've never read such garbage, well not since last time he banged on about being a performance-related manager.  

He should be sacked immediately. The man is a menace. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 9

27 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

“At the risk of repeating myself, I’m a performance related coach, I want to see my team play well and I’m never happy to lose, but sometimes it lessens the hurt when the team have functioned and created lots of chances and dominated possession.

“Of course we want to win. I sat and watched Brighton v Crystal Palace and it was unbelievable how Crystal Palace won that football match, it was so one-sided yet they lost 2-1 in the last minute"

Mowbray urges Rovers to 'keep believing' amid poor run | Lancashire Telegraph

Winning really doesn't matter to him does it? I've never read such garbage, well not since last time he banged on about being a performance-related manager.  

He should be sacked immediately. The man is a menace. 

Agree wholeheartedly. Someone should have told the Leicester title winning team it doesn't count because of their possession stats or the Dingles they can't be in the Prem because they don't have enough of the ball. He's a deluded muppet. 

What makes it even more galling is:

1) We have played badly and performed badly for the whole of 2021. The football had been grim. We aren't even meeting his warped criteria for success. 

2) When we win and play badly (which tbf is most of our wins against 11 men) it's all about the results and the performance doesn't matter. The Berk contradicts himself repeatedly and if the team played at the speed at which he shifts the goal posts we would be top 6 by now. 

Get rid. 

• Like 5

What does "performance related coach" mean? It's a load of gobbledgook to detract from results. If results had been good, but the performances poor, he'd have said he was a "results based coach".

Anyway, Tony, if you want to be judged on performances most fans would agree they've been very poor, and that's being kind. 

Another defeat tonight and please do the decent thing and resign

• Like 3