BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

38 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

What does "performance related coach" mean? It's a load of gobbledgook to detract from results. If results had been good, but the performances poor, he'd have said he was a "results based coach".

Anyway, Tony, if you want to be judged on performances most fans would agree they've been very poor, and that's being kind. 

Another defeat tonight and please do the decent thing and resign

I could be reading too much into it but is the performance related coach also a way of him distancing himself from as much responsibility from the current mess? Or am I just getting cynical that we are no further on then the early years?

If it is an I just coach the team plea, it's a load of guff as said coaches don't appoint their bosses or set up scouting networks or buy half the Boro team. 

Also Jim why wait till another loss. Get rid now. 

Have I missed all these good performances from us that have somehow ended in defeat, à la Brighton? When we lose we usually stink the place out too with our performance.

In fact I'd be embarrassed to call myself a performance related coach after what's been served up the last few months. 

5 minutes ago, frosty said:

Have I missed all these good performances from us that have somehow ended in defeat, à la Brighton? When we lose we usually stink the place out too with our performance.

In fact I'd be embarrassed to call myself a performance related coach after what's been served up the last few months. 

What other options are there? Cake-related? 

• Like 2

A lot of good candidates snapped up

I would still go for Roy Keane. Big name manager, big name club. He would take it I'd say. We would get support from Man u fans, Irish fans. We would be on Sky , a lot. He would attract players and hopefully get more out of those here, who would want to play for him and , in his own words, win football matches! 

It would be exciting. His press conferences would certainly be more interesting that Mowbrays. 

I just have such a strong feeling our next appointment is going to be disappointing. 

I see the alcoholics on Facebook are on it today.

"The "so called" fans should recognise what a great job he's done! His goal wasn't promotion it was progress and that's what he's doing."

They clearly can't count. Even if they have the table upside down it wouldn't be progress.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would still go for Roy Keane. Big name manager, big name club. He would take it I'd say. We would get support from Man u fans, Irish fans. We would be on Sky , a lot. He would attract players and hopefully get more out of those here, who would want to play for him and , in his own words, win football matches! 

It would be exciting. His press conferences would certainly be more interesting that Mowbrays. 

I just have such a strong feeling our next appointment is going to be disappointing. 

Why would getting support from Man U fans and Irish fans make a difference when choosing our next manager?! Or a couple of extra games on Sky? Or ore interesting press conferences? These arent determining factors in appointing a manager! We want Mowbray out because he cant take us forward, not purely out of boredom!

We dont need a short term shock factor, we need someone who can push us on, maybe a more imaginative appointment of a lesser or unknown (to us) manager from Europe like many of the promotion favourites have gone down the route of, especially with the main experienced options (McCarthy Hughton, Warnock and Pearson) all taken elsewhere, then so be it.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't like Keane a bit but I'd take him in a heartbeat. An appointment like that would genuinely be cause for excitement, something there has been precious little of in recent times

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

“At the risk of repeating myself, I’m a performance related coach, I want to see my team play well and I’m never happy to lose, but sometimes it lessens the hurt when the team have functioned and created lots of chances and dominated possession.

“Of course we want to win. I sat and watched Brighton v Crystal Palace and it was unbelievable how Crystal Palace won that football match, it was so one-sided yet they lost 2-1 in the last minute"

Mowbray urges Rovers to 'keep believing' amid poor run | Lancashire Telegraph

Winning really doesn't matter to him does it? I've never read such garbage, well not since last time he banged on about being a performance-related manager.  

He should be sacked immediately. The man is a menace. 

It's absolutely sickening really how untouchable he thinks he is. What are Venkys doing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Why would getting support from Man U fans and Irish fans make a difference when choosing our next manager?! Or a couple of extra games on Sky? Or ore interesting press conferences? These arent determining factors in appointing a manager! We want Mowbray out because he cant take us forward, not purely out of boredom!

We dont need a short term shock factor, we need someone who can push us on, maybe a more imaginative appointment of a lesser or unknown (to us) manager from Europe like many of the promotion favourites have gone down the route of, especially with the main experienced options (McCarthy Hughton, Warnock and Pearson) all taken elsewhere, then so be it.

Again, missing the point. A few others have said this to you, do you process what you read at all? 

Clearly I didn't mean that any if that stuff mattered, just that it would happen and for me, I would enjoy certain aspects of that. 

As usual, you don't even offer an alternative. Pointless contribution really. 

1 hour ago, DE. said:

I expect Keane would be out the door in even less time than Lambert was.

I wonder. I think he is eager to get back into management, that I wouldn't be so sure he would be out that quickly. It's as big a job as he's going to get and his options are getting smaller and smaller. 

Would be some buzz if he did. 

40 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wonder. I think he is eager to get back into management, that I wouldn't be so sure he would be out that quickly. It's as big a job as he's going to get and his options are getting smaller and smaller. 

Would be some buzz if he did. 

I don't know as Keane would last past the first training session. Boy would I like to be a fly on the wall watching Keane's encounter with our good group of lads 'down the country club'. I'm sure I'd learn a whole bunch of words derived from the Irish gaelic. Would he bring his own hairdryers? Keane would certainly shake things up!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

I don't know as Keane would last past the first training session. Boy would I like to be a fly on the wall watching Keane's encounter with our good group of lads 'down the country club'. I'm sure I'd learn a whole bunch of words derived from the Irish gaelic. Would he bring his own hairdryers? Keane would certainly shake things up!

Think Keane would be a disaster and isn't that good a manager. That said I too would love for him to share a few home truths with our players. Much needed and would be a heck of s shock to them after TMs mollycoddling. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Again, missing the point. A few others have said this to you, do you process what you read at all? 

Clearly I didn't mean that any if that stuff mattered, just that it would happen and for me, I would enjoy certain aspects of that. 

As usual, you don't even offer an alternative. Pointless contribution really. 

You would get any enjoyment out of random Man United fans taking an interest purely because we had Roy Keane as manager?

Things like that shouldnt be of any consideration, just like with someone like Gareth Ainsworth shouldnt be appointed or prioritised solely for being a Rovers fan. Although he would have more merit in general solely on the job he has done at Wycombe, whereas after Keane's initial success at Sunderland, it went downhill both there and his job at Ipswich was underwhelming. I am unsure if he has the ability to man manage modern day players personally.

And you dont need to offer an alternative, my point consistently is that it doesnt have to be someone from the same small pool of names, especially with the main experienced options being in employment at other clubs, and you dont need to necessarily have a suggestion of exactly who the potential new manager is, hence my examples of Ismael, Paunovic, Xisco, Farke and Frank as 5 names who nobody would have really heard of prior to their appointment, or indeed Cooper in the England youth setups.

On 23/02/2021 at 17:20, Mattyblue said:

‘I talked about stats the other day didn't I last week? And one of those stats was we had the most touches in the opposition penalty area of anyone else in the league.’

Have I woken up in 2012?

-

‘Crooke - And I know you're not big on milestones but four years at a football club is a pretty big achievement, is there anything that stands out in your time as manager that you take great pride in? A proud memory or a favourite moment?’

Mowbray - No.

How petulant. Supposed professional football manager in his mid 50s. Either he’s on his way out or he really is just going through the motions - whatever it is isn’t good for the club.

Jesus...anybody able to confirm in any way whether 'No.' was literally all he said in response to that? And that it's not someone removing the rest of the answer? If that's literally all he said then either he despises Crooke, or we are surely only one, maybe two defeats in the next couple of games from him resigning.