BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, davulsukur said:

Depressing but not surprising that he's going no where.

Honestly, I don't believe he'll get us a win against Coventry.

Potentially could start to get dragged into it.

I made the point at the start of this latest death spiral that a couple of wins for a couple of clubs in the bottom 4 and we'd be in serious trouble. Luckily it hasn't happened yet but with our fixtures in March looking fairly dreadful we need to beat Coventry. 

This bollux about being on a "slow build" or "on a journey" is unravelling at a rapid rate of knots isn't it?

TM averaging less points per game after  seven transfer windows than he was during his 15 games with Coyle's squad.

After a further £40 m worth of losses and umpteen millions spent on transfers loans and wages we're in exactly the same position as we were after our first season back in the Championship.

Massively reliant on certain key  players with contracts running down who seemingly won't sign new deals.

Massively over-reliant on loanees, who in general are no better than what we had in the first place.

Where's "the journey" going to end up I wonder?

• Like 2

Seems clear to me that Mowbray was told a while ago it’s playoffs or bust. So he gambled on two young centre backs hoping for two more of Elliott’s standard, and then he gambled on bringing Travis and Dack back as soon as the bandages were off.

The gambled have failed, he has bombs going off all around him and he’s now shell shocked: no cards left to play, can’t think straight. A broken man. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

This bollux about being on a "slow build" or "on a journey" is unravelling at a rapid rate of knots isn't it?

TM averaging less points per game after  seven transfer windows than he was during his 15 games with Coyle's squad.

After a further £40 m worth of losses and umpteen millions spent on transfers loans and wages we're in exactly the same position as we were after our first season back in the Championship.

Massively reliant on certain key  players with contracts running down who seemingly won't sign new deals.

Massively over-reliant on loanees, who in general are no better than what we had in the first place.

Where's "the journey" going to end up I wonder?

Armstrong and senior training centre sold, Elliott going back, Nyambe leaving. Then Mowbray praying for players like Gallagher and Brereton to score goals (from wide areas), Dack a false 9 and relegation looming. McBride on the bench.

And he still won't sign any decent defenders.

Mowbray. "It's up to the owners."

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Seems clear to me that Mowbray was told a while ago it’s playoffs or bust. So he gambled on two young centre backs hoping for two more of Elliott’s standard, and then he gambled on bringing Travis and Dack back as soon as the bandages were off.

The gambled have failed, he has bombs going off all around him and he’s now shell shocked: no cards left to play, can’t think straight. A broken man. 

This seems about right to me. He looks like he knows he's going to get sacked, just not sure when.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Seems a bit 2 + 2 = 5 here. Totally plausible scenario at a normal club, I just don’t see it as having unfolded like that here. Who ‘told’ him for a start?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Mowbray himself banged on at the start of the season that we should be top 6 which even if that was ambitious, it wasn't ridiculous. I'm pretty sure the transfer window backing was based around a similar commitment. I didn't expect anything in January after the Summer work but to me it looked like he was saying we are nearly there, we just need a bit more. 

I personally think there will be a change as its clear its now out of reach so why waste time with someone incapable. Better to start planning for next year in the hope positive signs with the right coach may convince others to stay or even join.

Venkys still get a lot of stick and I understand that but for me they have stayed away from interfering, they have backed us financially and whilst it's a sour debate, maybe their plans for the training pitches do have the best interests at heart whilst raising much needed cash. Until I see plans I don't have an opinion but they aren't football people and if they are advised it's the way to go whilst supporting the club financially, why wouldn't they listen to the people they employ. 

I believe Venkys will make that change as I think as business people they will recognise and can see a slide and performance drops like the rest of us. And they have seen it before as we have been inconsistent for a long time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

This season is no different to the last two. Big talk of the top 6, extended bad runs, poor performances. lots of excuses and then 'see you next season'. 

Nothings changed as far as I can see.  He's under no pressure. 

They might sack him in the summer, but more likely they'll extend his contract after Waggott vouches for the job he's doing. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Southside Rover said:

Mowbray himself banged on at the start of the season that we should be top 6 which even if that was ambitious, it wasn't ridiculous. I'm pretty sure the transfer window backing was based around a similar commitment. I didn't expect anything in January after the Summer work but to me it looked like he was saying we are nearly there, we just need a bit more. 

I personally think there will be a change as its clear its now out of reach so why waste time with someone incapable. Better to start planning for next year in the hope positive signs with the right coach may convince others to stay or even join.

Venkys still get a lot of stick and I understand that but for me they have stayed away from interfering, they have backed us financially and whilst it's a sour debate, maybe their plans for the training pitches do have the best interests at heart whilst raising much needed cash. Until I see plans I don't have an opinion but they aren't football people and if they are advised it's the way to go whilst supporting the club financially, why wouldn't they listen to the people they employ. 

I believe Venkys will make that change as I think as business people they will recognise and can see a slide and performance drops like the rest of us. And they have seen it before as we have been inconsistent for a long time.

Billionaires selling off the Crown Jewels of Jack Walker’s legacy in the best interests of the club.

No, I’m struggling with that one.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

This season is no different to the last two. Big talk of the top 6, extended bad runs, poor performances. lots of excuses and then 'see you next season'. 

They might sack him in the summer, but more likely they'll extend his contract after Waggott vouches for the job he's doing. 

They'll get a shock with next seasons ST's if Mowbray is still here.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I get your point but it is worse. Its five losses in a row. Its got to be the worst we've been at ths point in the season. And our upcoming fixtures, bar Coventry, are all against top of the table teams whom we haven't taken anything from this year, so it's going to get even worse. 

Yes Tony has been shit for some time, he's just been spectacularly shit this year. 

• Like 2

I can't stand it when Mowbray goes on about us all being on a "journey"

We're not. 

Accy Stanley.  Out of the League in the early 60's ( thanks to Burnley Bob) and out of existence for a while. A new ground.Then gradually moving through all the minor leagues and finally winning back their League status. Promotion to Div 3. Now looking good for promotion to the Championship, never been there have they?

All on tiny crowds without billionaire owners but with community support and wonderful relationships between club and supporters.

Not that's a journey. We used to have way more fans in Accrington than Stanley could ever hope for. Not any more I'd guess. Unless you've been a Rover for years, it'll be Accy Stanley for young lads there.

We are shooting ourselves in the foot everywhere you look.

• Like 6

And this shows the depths Rovers have fallen to because when the unmentionable Ke*n was here the rhetoric was all about him not driving us out of the club, buying our STs regardless etc. Season ticket numbers dropped but were still reasonably healthy. Now I know of very few former ST holders who will be renewing for next season.