BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

3 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

My take on it was before he was trying to convince Armstrong he wasn't ready for the Prem and to sign a new contract. Now he knows Armstrong won't sign a new contract and so is trying to ramp up the price for the inevitable sale. 

Didn’t think players would be reluctant to sign new deals, especially with all the players being onboard this journey that Mowbray has them on.

Edited by Wovers

There an interesting piece on sky sports website today about Birmingham City and a decade in decline. Wouldn't be surprised to see this accelerate the sacking of karanka. We could really do with something similar for us right now. It's a shame sky have always seemed to have it in for us and so will probably revel in our current situation. 

• Like 1

Encouraging the interest already registered by Moyes and the gang.

Worryingly this is having a similar feel to when the downgrade started under Bowyer.  Perhaps they've got wind there won't be much of a budget at all next season as the massive hole from this needs covering.  The taps might well have to be down to a trickle again.

Now if only Vs had a spare 12 million in their back pockets.....

12 minutes ago, Wovers said:

Didn’t think players would be reluctant to sign new deals, especially with all the players being onboard this journey that Mowbray has them on.

I hope (and think) this is sarcasm. 

The only players who will sign new contracts are dollopers like Evans and Williams. 

1 hour ago, yoda's brother said:

whats the facebook crowd saying today ?

Here’s a random quote 

“I think everyone needs to be patient with Mowbray, we’ve played really well yet again, we need to look at the positives, I think the young lads at centre back have been really solid, it’s all that right backs fault, we definitely missed Sam Gallaghers physicality today, did you know we have lots of injuries?”. 

a few want him out, a few saying the grass won’t be greener etc. 🙄

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dan said:

Here’s a random quote 

“I think everyone needs to be patient with Mowbray, we’ve played really well yet again, we need to look at the positives, I think the young lads at centre back have been really solid, it’s all that right backs fault, we definitely missed Sam Gallaghers physicality today, did you know we have lots of injuries?”. 

image.png.8721a523b56f97ccf83f7d348cdc7e5c.png

• Like 4

Watching the Watford game highlights, I feel that once again the team formation is helping to fail Rovers. In the highlights, you see a number of times two fundamental defensive weaknesses - on the flanks and through the central midfield. For all the criticism that the defence has received, it seems to me that they are receiving scant protection sometimes.

By way of example, Watford's third goal, by Ken Sema, Ryan Nyambe comes out of position to close down a player in the midfield position. Watford work it around him and play it down the left and score. No Rovers midfielder is in the vicinity to realistically help the defence.

I believe that this 4-3-3 business, mimicking the Premier League and other clubs, is a major part of the failing. It is all very well playing Harvey Elliot, Dack and Armstrong up top - but it requires players to track back to protect the full-backs, as wingers are expected to do in a 4-4-2 formation. It also requires someone to hold the ball up at the top. It also requires the central midfielders to know who will perform the holding role and shield the central defence.

Until the formation is corrected, so that players know their defensive duties, I think we will continue to struggle. 

Just another point, normally, during central defensive injury crises, experienced full-backs are pulled in. I do not know why Nyambe or Douglas are not partnering one of the youngsters in the middle. Nyambe seems the obvious choice. It's not ideal but I believe is far preferable to playing two young players with so little experience (and who are not being protected by the rest of the team).

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Dan said:

Here’s a random quote 

Aghhh

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dan said:

Here’s a random quote 

I read a corker on Twitter yesterday: "What's he meant to do with that midfield?!". Looks like this bloke wanted to go for a different tact over the much maligned defence. 

The one he's had four years to assemble without having to sell anybody you mean?

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

The facebook crowd prove you can fool some of the people all of the time. Nobody posting on here during the game said that we 'played really well'.

@chaddyroversargues that a new appointment is needed now and I agree. I saw a poster say we appointed Souness with 15 games to go in a season and he got us promoted. It can happen, again. I hope the rumours of negotiations with Hughes are true and near fruition. I think Venkys need to focus on one target and build a management team around him and I hope that's what they are doing.

Relying on Venkys to do the right thing is a very unusual place to be. I believe Venkys will act in a timely fashion, this time. I have faith.

5 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

The facebook crowd prove you can fool some of the people all of the time. Nobody posting on here during the game said that we 'played really well'.

@chaddyroversargues that a new appointment is needed now and I agree. I saw a poster say we appointed Souness with 15 games to go in a season and he got us promoted. It can happen, again. I hope the rumours of negotiations with Hughes are true and near fruition. I think Venkys need to focus on one target and build a management team around him and I hope that's what they are doing.

Relying on Venkys to do the right thing is a very unusual place to be. I believe Venkys will act in a timely fashion, this time. I have faith.

Is there a rumour about Hughes?

31 minutes ago, Dan said:

Here’s a random quote 

Is no one else picking up that this person was obviously being sarcastic?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

What rumours are these? 

There’s always these uber-positive fools on social media, but they don’t matter in normal times - it’s the crowd in the ground that usually have the measure of a manager.

Without that seemingly the only insight is Facebook groups and they are getting a prominence they generally don’t have (doesn’t make it any less infuriating to read like!)

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

• Backroom
13 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

That's a week of traction you've just guaranteed this site, whether true or not 😅

• Backroom
37 minutes ago, Dan said:

"....we need to look at the positives, I think the young lads at centre back have been really solid,..."

We've conceded 8 goals in the last 4 matches. 

Therefore, no-one has been "solid". 

Why do people try and argue against undisputable facts. 

What really didn't help yesterday, and over the last few games, is the reliance on two unproven loans in the defence. It difficult to criticise as they were brought in as cover, not to be the mainstay of the defence, but they have a hand in all bar one of Watford highlights - 

For the first Watford Chance, Harwood-Bellis and Travis can both see the guy that eventually takes the shot. Travis ignores him to get back into midfield and Harwood-Bellis is looking at the man behind (who Nyambe has) and is slow to get across.

For the first goal Branthwaite is just slow to get out, plays the man onside and then stands watching him with his hand in the air instead of trying to do something about it.

For the second goal its a clear, basic error in dealing with the ball in by Harwood-Bellis.

For the next Watford chance Rothwell is just stood on the edge of the box sorting his collar out instead of falling back to pick up the extra man.

For the final goal Nyambe steps out as Harwood-Bellis has the other striker covered, but watch how slow Branthwaite is to react to the runner from midfield who ends up receiving the ball. 

We've complained constantly about not strengthening the defence. We knew it was short on cover every transfer window for the last 3 years. And yet here we are losing games with two teenage defenders who have made less that 15 starts between them in senior football before they arrived at Ewood. 

It's just poor, poor management of a squad.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Silence from the club is embarrassing. 

Same record for number of defeats in a row as Kean.

Mowbrays constant shifting of judgement drives me crazy.

Is he the honourable and honest man we all originally thought he was? 

He probably thinks he is capable of turning it around, if he has any self belief. And even if he doesnt, none of us would just give up a contract like that.

The owners have the responsibility of sacking him and sadly they wont.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Coyle was sacked by Rovers mid afternoon around 3.30pm

Bowyer was sacked by Rovers in the evening just after 6pm if memory serves me correct. 

I wouldnt get your hopes up, there is more chance of us winning the league this season than of Mowbray being sacked today. The owners wont know what score it was last night.