BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

29 minutes ago, Stuart said:

There would be something very poetic of a defeat to Coventry resulted in him walking away.

However, I suspect like one half of Mercer, that it will come down to his severance package.

There would be a bit of a twisted irony in that.  Sadly I firmly believe he is unsackable MK2.  I have really really had enough of this fella I really have.  If only the Punatics had an ounce of sense and cared at least a little bit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Richard Oakley said:

That Hughes is interested in coming back and that Venkys are negotiating with him. As I have said, I hope that's true. I've not read the tweet that another poster mentioned on here. 

Not a chance Hughes is coming back here not a chance.  Snowball in hell and all that

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

Good post agree with most of it apart from the resign bit he's used the burden line before. He's feeling sorry for himself you could tell that with the tetchy comments towards the media guys. He's had it far too comfortable here so he's gone all defensive but now it's turning to that. Probably realized he can't be angry at others when it's his team keep losing games.

Ideal world it would all end amicably with him acknowledging his failings, owners giving him till the end of the season to have a swansong the paying him up.  Might even get some fans in to give him a decent send off, there'd be a few tears ( rivers of them on twitter & facebook) then we move on.

The prospect of a bigger name coming in next season would reinvigorate the fans and stimulate interest. Whilst TM would leave with enough dignity and a cv that says mutual consent, should net him something else should he fancy it.

We're not a bloody charity, well we are, but we shouldn't be!. He should have been sacked two years ago (when he was patently out of his depth at Championship level) to avoid us being in the situation we're in now. Ditto twelve months ago and this season he should have gone in December to give us a chance of making the play offs this season.

All that has gone and you can't change the past but the next best thing would be to get a new man in now and allow him to have rest of the season to assess the squad, weed out the deadwood and rebuild in summer - as others have mentioned Souness had the chance to do.

Bollux to him having a ceremonial "lap of defeat" farewell tour whilst we lurch from one poor result to another and a dignified exit in the summer, far better managers than him have had to be dispensed with when things went sour, both here and at other Clubs.

• Like 8

I said the same last mid season, i'm just trying to look at it from their angle and his. If they are all as fond of each other as is made out then doing it the right way is the answer.

Imagine if they are holding off removing him because they don't want to upset him ?

Lambert had a similar exit although he obviously had a clause but it was an amicable split and saved this type of mess developing.  If it was up to me i'd have sacked in the last winter slump or replaced him in summer.

This season i'd have sacked him ages ago as soon as it was obvious it was going up in smoke. I'm still angry at the ridiculous nature of the way they folded after lockdown after again being in a good position.  He kept up the possession football when we had nothing to lose in just going for it.

That was passed off as the transition bullshit and so this season we are largely seeing the result of that. It doesn't deliver and neither will he, ever !

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

Good post agree with most of it apart from the resign bit he's used the burden line before. He's feeling sorry for himself you could tell that with the tetchy comments towards the media guys. He's had it far too comfortable here so he's gone all defensive but now it's turning to that. Probably realized he can't be angry at others when it's his team keep losing games.

Ideal world it would all end amicably with him acknowledging his failings, owners giving him till the end of the season to have a swansong the paying him up.  Might even get some fans in to give him a decent send off, there'd be a few tears ( rivers of them on twitter & facebook) then we move on.

The prospect of a bigger name coming in next season would reinvigorate the fans and stimulate interest. Whilst TM would leave with enough dignity and a cv that says mutual consent, should net him something else should he fancy it.

Only tears i will shed will be tears of joy he has finally gone. Honestly what has he done to deserve a 'send-off'. Hes been mediocre at best all the way through.  In 10 years he will be completely forgotten about. We all still remember Dalglish 25 or so years on for what he did.  We all remember souness 15 to 20 years on for his great times. This guy won't be remembered at all

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

Only tears i will shed will be tears of joy he has finally gone. Honestly what has he done to deserve a 'send-off'. Hes been mediocre at best all the way through.  In 10 years he will be completely forgotten about. We all still remember Dalglish 25 or so years on for what he did.  We all remember souness 15 to 20 years on for his great times. This guy won't be remembered at all

He did ok, well even, in getting us promoted from League 1 at the first time of asking but you can't dine out on that forever and I think at Championship level he's been desperately poor both on the pitch and with the way he and his team have  approached things like transfer dealings.

It might be an age thing but I remember managers who didn't have a pot to piss in like Furphy, Lee, Smith, Kendal and Mackay way more favourably than him.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Sadly, so can I. 

We are talking about the same owners that just stood by and watched K**n relegate us from the land of milk and honey because they liked him (probably the most unlikeable bloke on the planet to boot), they like Mowbray too by all accounts. I can't see them binning him unless we are in serious danger of relegation.

The fear is that we will lose some of our better players if he is still here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roverandout said:

He'll be remembered for getting us out of L1 at the first time of asking. Bigger clubs than us have spent many a long season down there. He'll also be remembered for establishing us back in mid table in the Championship and for signing some good players. 

We all know the other side of the coin and he has absolutely took us as far as he can IMO, but let's not rewrite history. He's been good for Rovers, he's just no good for us  anymore. 

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He'll be remembered for getting us out of L1 at the first time of asking. Bigger clubs than us have spent many a long season down there. He'll also be remembered for establishing us back in mid table in the Championship and for signing some good players. 

We all know the other side of the coin and he has absolutely took us as far as he can IMO, but let's not rewrite history. He's been good for Rovers, he's just no good for us  anymore. 

Agree he’s done some good here and it’s all ifs buts and maybes but who knows where we’d be if another man was in charge and had received the backing Tony has since we got back up to the Championship. Depressing thought. 

20 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Let's not go overboard.

He signed Dack, got us out of League 1 and signed Armstrong permanently. That's about it.

Thereafter it's been extremely poor imo. Poor results and performances, poor transfer dealings, multiple contract extensions to the players that shouldn't have had them, even ones that had no prospect of playing, failing to tie the better players that did need extensions down etc etc. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Let's not go overboard.

He signed Dack, got us out of League 1 and signed Armstrong permanently. That's about it.

Thereafter it's been extremely poor imo. Poor results and performances, poor transfer dealings, multiple contract extensions to the players that shouldn't have had them, even ones that had no prospect of playing, failing to tie the better players that did need extensions down etc etc. 

Well he's got us to the point where we expect to be top six for the last couple of seasons. You make it sound like he has been continuously terrible since we got promoted, but if that were true we would have been in a relegation dog fight last two years.

He's done okay to be honest but he's obviously not going to get us top six, and clearly that's the next step so he's got to go.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Let's not go overboard.

You can add Kaminski and Rothwell as good buys and he's brought on a bunch of young players through.  He also, and critically, gave the fans something to believe in after a the mad years.  Apart from that.....

2 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

You can add Kaminski and Rothwell as good buys and he's brought on a bunch of young players through.  He also, and critically, gave the fans something to believe in after a the mad years.  Apart from that.....

“Defenders are coming” will always be his lasting legacy. 

13 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Can't tell if you're agreeing with me or yours is a "What did the Romans ever do for us" type reply.

To counter that, 4 good signings in 4 seasons isn't that impressive and the key question is, "Are we significantly better off than when he arrived?"

I'm not sure we are, you might say we could sell Dack and Armstrong and realise the proceeds but against that he's been handed £16m to spend on Dack, Armstrong, BB and SG. You'd hope anyone could turn a profit given that sort of funding.

Also are the young players thriving because of or despite him? Don't think Lenihan is progressing and he certainly hasn't done Nyambe any favours. Raya, Chapman, Davenport, Buckley Magloire?

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

He gave and gives me SFA.

I believe in the Shirt and the Colours not in over-hyped con artists and parasites in Pune or at Ewood.

• Like 3

• Backroom

It’s weird a few games back it felt like Rich Sharpe had turned and was as critical as he has been.

Since the Nyambe incident and the interviews afterwards he’s been less critical of the manager, today there was an article about things we could change to get more success and not a mention of the manager.

Wonder if he had a ticking off.

Anyway looks like he’s now rode out the 5 game losing run and now will pick up a win against Coventry and the tripometer will reset 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Stuart said:

Billionaires selling off the Crown Jewels of Jack Walker’s legacy in the best interests of the club.

No, I’m struggling with that one.

Depends how you look at it. I get the negativity because of what has gone on before but they have stepped back and they have bank rolled the club through a pandemic with little income compared to a regular season but the players and staff still cost the same in wages and they have supported in strengthening all of which has been done with no definite end to all this and a return to normality. Why do we think Venkys should treat the club differently to any of their other interests. Is it right to make thousands of people redundant in India in favour of spending 600k on a left back? 

I personally am open minded to the proposal. Yes it's smaller, yes its selling off something that was state of the art 30 years ago but even the great Mr Walker would accept the need to modernise and move forward, its just a shame he isn't still here to over see it and make it happen as he had that trust and status which until the Venkys achieve something significant, most won't accept, some will never accept. If a new state of the art facility can be provided albeit smaller and generate funds its not the worse thing to happen. If Mr Walker was still about and made the same call it would be recieved completely the opposite way around. Yes it was his to do what he wanted with but people would see the positive in it.

Edited by Southside Rover
  • Like 1

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3212301/scott-brown-tony-mowbray-celtic-captain-hibs-manager-bust-up/amp/ 

A quick and Interesting read this, when things are going well everything’s fine but when shit hits the fan it seems Tony has always tried to blame anyone else but himself, a leopard never changes its spots and all that. 

• Like 1

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19118986.tony-mowbray-doesnt-want-a-burden-rovers/

He's not leaving unless the Venkys tell him so. He wants his payout.

His interviews lately are so predictable -

• An style of football hes trying to get us playing (and proceeds to name drop Brentford, Swansea, Liverpool...)
  • The journey story and XX number of games into it
  • Injury issues (as if all those who are injured can walk into the first eleven - probably only Lenihan and Ayala)
  • Loss of form happens to every club blah blah...
  • Not his fault but if it is, Venkys have to tell him