BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

His top 10 finishes were with a squad that he had no clue how to get the best out of. That squad under achieved, and the similarities with Mowbray are stark.

As for your question, are you looking for something more sophisticated than money?

Lambert wasn’t a bad manager for Rovers. But I expect we’ll have to agree to disagree there too.

Glen Mullan deserves more credit for our success at that time than Bowyer...

He spent very little money, yet signed some excellent players we made money on.

You obviously have an irrational dislike of Bowyer if your last sentence is in any way serious. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Both reached the end of their shelf lives - Bowyer after 2 full seasons and Mowbray after 2 full Championship seasons yet both were left in place too long. 

Remember we drew 1-1 with a rock bottom Blackpool who were miles adrift at Ewood in Feb 2015. It was obvious from that day that we weren't going to achieve anything under Bowyer yet it took them until November to do anything. That season was skewed by a decent cup run.

For Mowbray, after the opening day defeat against Charlton last season I knew he was done. The owners are getting slower for me.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, m1st said:

I'd been shouting for Pearson for weeks now - long before Bristol City recruited him.

Now that he's unavailable, how about the latest Rovers' Old Boy to actually win - scuse me for splitting an infinitive! - win something?

And with apologies to anyone north of Hadrian's Wall: it may only be Scotland; it may only be their League Cup; but could we do worse than Callum Davidson? I can't remember Alec Neil actually winning that much - I may have forgotten; I've been on a cheaper Red tonight than I'm sure Mercer would ever consume! - before he rocked up at Deepdale.

No thanks.  Not experienced enough for me in a shitshow of a club. (Rovers i mean) 

4 hours ago, DeeCee said:

We won't go down but will end up far lower down the league than we did last season. That's got to be the tipping point for the owners. Pity they can't see it now.

I am with you there , that's exactly how I think it will pan out....maybe in bottom 5 ...

• Backroom

Trying to be positive and work out how to get the best out of what we have, I'd go 4231.

Kaminski

Nyambe  Lenihan  LoanKid?  Bell

Travis    Rothwell

Elliott            Dack         Armstrong

Gallagher

I'm thinking high line, with Bell and Nyambe only using their immense pace to catch failed offside traps, or break forward on counters. Otherwise, they should both just sit in a flat back 4.

Travis to play the Savage role, give it to Rothwell to burst forward like the Dunn of the Souness era.

Gallagher to be the targetman, just there to hover up top nodding balls down for a free-roaming trio, or to get on the end of any crosses.

Is that a plan?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Trying to be positive and work out how to get the best out of what we have, I'd go 4231.

Kaminski

Travis    Rothwell

Gallagher

I'm thinking high line, with Bell and Nyambe only using their immense pace to catch failed offside traps, or break forward on counters. Otherwise, they should both just sit in a flat back 4.

Travis to play the Savage role, give it to Rothwell to burst forward like the Dunn of the Souness era.

Gallagher to be the targetman, just there to hover up top nodding balls down for a free-roaming trio, or to get on the end of any crosses.

Is that a plan?

Maybe; but far too subtle for TM!

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Tony’s “well even Brentford and Liverpool are getting beat every week” shouts fucked it now!! 🤣🤣

Do you reckon TM is under immediate pressure? I'd heard both TM and SW where going in the summer, but SW at least seems to be not retiring 

• Backroom
57 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Both, interestingly, didn't treat the defence with much interest or priority. In Bowyer's case the need was probably less with Hanley and Duffy the established decent partnership.

Generally speaking I don't think defence was a huge problem under GB. The GK position was a consistent weakness, but we had solid Championship-level defenders for the most part. The back four of Marshall/Duffy/Hanley/Spurr was good enough for the most part.

Bowyer's biggest blind-spot, by far, was central midfield. He was overly fond of cloggers who ran around a lot but produced little substance. The likes of Evans, Williamson, Spearing, etc didn't give us enough, and the undying loyalty to Jason Lowe needs no explanation. 

Unfortunately Bowyer wasn't tactically astute enough either, and he didn't know how to turn games in our favour regularly enough. Too many draws that a better manager could have turned into wins with some smart tactical alterations during the game. Mowbray is no better in that regard - although he's more erratic in terms of his team selections and attempts at formations. At the very least GB generally played our players in their correct positions, he just didn't have enough creative guile to switch things around when needed. He also had no idea how to implement pace into the side, leaving us as a slow and largely predictable side. 

I don't rate Bowyer's time here as successful, but I don't think he performed any worse than Mowbray, and considering his lack of experience at first team level I'd say in a direct comparison Bowyer performed better than Mowbray has by most useful metrics. 

Ultimately though we've never really had what I would class as a good manager under Venky's, so comparing Mowbray to any past managers seems pointless. None were good enough to make us better than the sum of our parts, and neither is Mowbray. Until we have a manager that can do this we'll remain where we are now, in a frustrated, never-ending limbo where brief periods of hope are quickly snuffed out by the bleak reality of being owned by people who simply don't understand what needs to be done to make a club successful.  

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Remember we drew 1-1 with a rock bottom Blackpool who were miles adrift at Ewood in Feb 2015. 

Always remember we had a corner or free-kick in a dangerous position right at the end of that game and Alex Baptiste looked across at Bowyer presumably checking if he could go up for it. Then Bowyer gestured for him to stay back! As if rock bottom Blackpool under Lee Clark were gonna launch a Man Utd circa 2008 style lethal counter attack.

Bowyer did some good but yeah should have been gone halfway through 14/15. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

Do you reckon TM is under immediate pressure? I'd heard both TM and SW where going in the summer, but SW at least seems to be not retiring 

I honestly don’t know but with the fixtures we’ve got coming up we’ll likely lose 4/6 which will be enough in anybody’s book to see a new manager installed.

Where had you heard about them leaving in the summer?

10 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Kaminski

Travis    Rothwell

Gallagher

Is that a plan?

Unfortunately Gallagher isnt suitable as a target man and Bell isnt suitable on a football pitch. Rothwell in a midfield 2 wouldnt be a risk worth taking considering how unproductive he is anyway. Would go for Armstrong with Dack off, Brereton to the left, Douglas at left back and im unsure next to Travis. Evans beside him has been a successful duo but Johnson can provide perhaps a better all round game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I honestly don’t know but with the fixtures we’ve got coming up we’ll likely lose 4/6 which will be enough in anybody’s book to see a new manager installed.

Where had you heard about them leaving in the summer?

I had heard waggott was retiring but pretty sure he isn't and TM was going with him in the summer, but then again also heard TM was out if we lost to watford so don't think its accurate

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He spent very little money, yet signed some excellent players we made money on.

You obviously have an irrational dislike of Bowyer if your last sentence is in any way serious. 

You obviously aren’t in the loop...

I wouldn't rate Bowyer as Mowbray's equal. Bowyer was a stop gap who went on too long. In that respect, he's equal to Mowbray.

Mowbray apparently delegates training. it's hard to discern what, if any training is being done.

Mowbray delegates set piece training. So it's not his fault we can't defend.

Mowbray delegates player recruitment. He takes the credit when one of the signings turns out great and passes the blame onto others, when the signing turns out not to be very good.

Mowbray decided not to train  at the STC, because it's nearly 'derelict' according the planning application. No doubt forcing Venkys to spend 2m on redoing the pitch rather than spend it on getting rid of everyone who needs to be got rid of.

It'd be cheaper to ground share for our remaining home games. It's not like there are any fans attending, at the moment.

The club is pushing the 'nothing to see here' line. Objectively, 1 point from 18 is relegation form. I'm sure Hull City thought that their cushion last season would b enough, too.

Mathematically, we could still get into the playoffs. Definitely not under the current set up. That mathematical window will soon close.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Richard Oakley said:

I wouldn't rate Bowyer as Mowbray's equal. Bowyer was a stop gap who went on too long. In that respect, he's equal to Mowbray.

Mowbray apparently delegates training. it's hard to discern what, if any training is being done.

Mowbray delegates set piece training. So it's not his fault we can't defend.

Mowbray delegates player recruitment. He takes the credit when one of the signings turns out great and passes the blame onto others, when the signing turns out not to be very good.

So what's he doing 7 till 7? Bet he's got a cracking score on candy crush. 

• Like 3