BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

So he's moving the goalposts again i see, he's beginning to sound like Lambert did now. Same soundbites except this guy has supposedly been building a top 6 capable squad for the past couple of years.

And has had backing that would see some other more clear thinking managers knocking on the door of it now regardless of covid/injuries.  All he's doing is trying to get to the end of his contract by bluff and bluster. 

No way in hell should he have to lose the next 2 or 3 to be sacked has he not registered the last 5 defeats in 6 or something ?  He's well on his way to making himself public enemy number one now. Some going that considering how popular he was.

This is what getting far too comfortable gets you.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Yes but then you read the first comment under that tweet and it says you couldn't blame him if we lose the next few because they're against top teams. So still supporting him

The thing is, we should be one of the top teams, and looking forward to these games, to show that in fact we are,  The top team.

• Like 3

No arguments from me.  I've watched Sale sharks beat Bristol and Exeter this season, and Lorient, in the relegation places, beat a full strength PSG.  Those are supposedly the matches players relish playing in and how good does it feel when you win or at least do well.  We may not be able to win them all - few teams win even most of their games but we should at least be competing.  It's the idea that we can't compete that irks me more than anything. 

image.png.55b4b81db955570897c88f57bcb9c43c.png

So here is Tony's master plan to get promoted.

Good recruitment- That is certainly not something you could say he has shown us. 

Developing your own academy players- Well he is certainly keen to develop other clubs players but not so much our own as can be seen by the fact we have two teenager centre backs in on loan whilst two older ones from our academy are out own loan. Raya was an academy product and regular scapegoat and he has now been replaced in that role by another academy product in Nyambe.

Having and identity and structure to the way you play- No one who has watched us play the last 4 months or so could accuse us of having either. One week we are so called performance related and then we win playing poorly and suddenly it's all about the results.

Develop over a period of time- He has spent getting on for £20 Million and we are currently just 8 places higher than when he first came in. Developing at that rate it means he is going to need at least another 5 years and £20 Million just to get us into the play offs.

Rovers owners Venky's must have a plan for the future - Mowbray | Lancashire Telegraph

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DE. said:

Generally speaking I don't think defence was a huge problem under GB. The GK position was a consistent weakness, but we had solid Championship-level defenders for the most part. The back four of Marshall/Duffy/Hanley/Spurr was good enough for the most part.

Bowyer's biggest blind-spot, by far, was central midfield. He was overly fond of cloggers who ran around a lot but produced little substance. The likes of Evans, Williamson, Spearing, etc didn't give us enough, and the undying loyalty to Jason Lowe needs no explanation. 

Unfortunately Bowyer wasn't tactically astute enough either, and he didn't know how to turn games in our favour regularly enough. Too many draws that a better manager could have turned into wins with some smart tactical alterations during the game. Mowbray is no better in that regard - although he's more erratic in terms of his team selections and attempts at formations. At the very least GB generally played our players in their correct positions, he just didn't have enough creative guile to switch things around when needed. He also had no idea how to implement pace into the side, leaving us as a slow and largely predictable side. 

I don't rate Bowyer's time here as successful, but I don't think he performed any worse than Mowbray, and considering his lack of experience at first team level I'd say in a direct comparison Bowyer performed better than Mowbray has by most useful metrics. 

Ultimately though we've never really had what I would class as a good manager under Venky's, so comparing Mowbray to any past managers seems pointless. None were good enough to make us better than the sum of our parts, and neither is Mowbray. Until we have a manager that can do this we'll remain where we are now, in a frustrated, never-ending limbo where brief periods of hope are quickly snuffed out by the bleak reality of being owned by people who simply don't understand what needs to be done to make a club successful.  

GB had the answer to CM in his ranks. He obsessively played him wide and yet since he moved and started playing CM? Premier league.

GB and TM are equals.

Equally not good enough.

• Like 1

I'm getting sick of listening to it now. Why can't we just be a club that acts with semblance of normality.

Instead we've a dodgy untrustworthy CEO with no intention nor ability to remove his mate as manager and Mowbray back to communicating with India via the local press.

Good to see that IF we LOSE the next two OR three then he MIGHT not be here.

Very reassuring.

Then again we might do the above and he might not be sacked. Or he might claw a few points out of it and survive. Meaningless babble.

All the excuses in the world coming out.

I don't believe Waggott's sudden re-emergence from hibernation over the last 6 months is a coincidence. I think he knows the natives are getting restless and he needs to be seen, and he's come out in support of his mate.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

He's certainly been trying desperately hard the last few weeks to drum up some Premiership interest in Armstrong.

Tony Mowbray responds to Adam Armstrong future amid West Ham links and discusses asset scenario - LancsLive

Said Months ago that a bumper sale of Armstrong is Mowbray's get out card. Big money bids coming in saves his skin with the owners and 'vindicates' his approach.

He's so brazen and blatant its embarrassing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I don't believe Waggott's sudden re-emergence from hibernation over the last 6 months is a coincidence. I think he knows the natives are getting restless and he needs to be seen, and he's come out in support of his mate.

6? More like 12...

• Backroom
32 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

GB had the answer to CM in his ranks. He obsessively played him wide and yet since he moved and started playing CM? Premier league.

GB and TM are equals.

Equally not good enough.

Assume you mean Cairney. Would have needed to play AMC to really be effective and Bowyer's teams didn't have attacking central midfielders in them. Both CMs were generally defensive with our attacking play largely coming from wide areas - which is why he tried to shoehorn Cairney there, but it didn't really work.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, den said:

Mowbrays quotes above are from this new LT article.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19126978.rovers-owners-venkys-must-plan-future---mowbray/

Meaningless, baseless waffle.

Exhibit A. 

"At no stage this season have I looked over my shoulder, if we lose the next two or three, I might not be here to look over my shoulder, and if I am here, will I look over my shoulder?"

Absolute piffle. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, Ozz said:

Exhibit A. 

"At no stage this season have I looked over my shoulder, if we lose the next two or three, I might not be here to look over my shoulder, and if I am here, will I look over my shoulder?"

Absolute piffle. 

He didn't look at the fixture list before saying that, did he?

• Like 1

He really does himself no favours.

I’d have a lot more respect for him if he turned around and said “of course I’m looking over my shoulder, results haven’t been good enough and I know they need to improve fast”.

Or just walk away and my respect would be even higher.

• Like 5