BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 hour ago, den said:

Mowbrays quotes above are from this new LT article.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19126978.rovers-owners-venkys-must-plan-future---mowbray/

Meaningless, baseless waffle.

Now hes talking about getting to the premiership over a period of time.  I think he's had plenty time. Talking about saleable assets. Replacing them.  When has he ever replaced a saleable asset other than raya? And that was only because he hung raya out to dry. He talks with a forked tongue and its always stuck up Mrs d's ass

54 minutes ago, DE. said:

Assume you mean Cairney. Would have needed to play AMC to really be effective and Bowyer's teams didn't have attacking central midfielders in them. Both CMs were generally defensive with our attacking play largely coming from wide areas - which is why he tried to shoehorn Cairney there, but it didn't really work.  

Yes Cairney, he could have played cm under GB if GB had lined them up differently. A sitter and Cairney could have worked and as you say we were all attack wide. Cairney needed bulking up (easy these days) and to track back more. Coach able, instead play wide, wrong side and completely alien role as wide is very different to central. Trouble is he had the wide players cutting inside all the time, with gestede up top. Tactics were not gbs strength. Cairney in the middle, 2 proper wide players and R&G would have scored even more.

Best we condition ourselves from now on just to shut our ears and get on with it. He's going nowhere unless Mrs D pays any attention beyond the balance sheet. There'll be no Coventry here he'll brazen it out if we don't win again all season.

Sell a few players - the line he's pitching now - then he can hide behind another rebuild job. Can't expect us to go anywhere if we sell our best players after all. 

Sacked from Celtic, Boro and Coventry in last 10 years but untouchable at Venky Rovers.

We need to just see out the season now and pray summer is kind to us. Then it'll be give him 10 games/christmas/the window rinse and repeat. Sooner or later if we don't kick on we'll implode again you just know it's coming. I said his fabled journey could well be one that sees a lot of the players under him sold. One wonders if those with their stamp on them get any benefit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Assume you mean Cairney. Would have needed to play AMC to really be effective and Bowyer's teams didn't have attacking central midfielders in them. Both CMs were generally defensive with our attacking play largely coming from wide areas - which is why he tried to shoehorn Cairney there, but it didn't really work.  

I thought Carney could have been the new Berkovic but whenever we played him in centre midfield he was ineffectual.

3 minutes ago, booth said:

He doesn’t take pressure very well does he?

He’s heading for what he believes is the safer ground of “potential” squad value. 

In the article though, he doesn’t really say anything does he.

• Like 4

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

Yes Cairney, he could have played cm under GB if GB had lined them up differently. A sitter and Cairney could have worked and as you say we were all attack wide. Cairney needed bulking up (easy these days) and to track back more. Coach able, instead play wide, wrong side and completely alien role as wide is very different to central. Trouble is he had the wide players cutting inside all the time, with gestede up top. Tactics were not gbs strength. Cairney in the middle, 2 proper wide players and R&G would have scored even more.

Bowyer's tactical inflexability simply wouldn't have allowed Cairney to play his natural game in CM. He could have been bulked up and coached to track back more often, but I don't think it would have meant much to us in the grand scheme of things to have Cairney in that role. I think he would have ended up stifled under GB no matter where he was played.

42 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought Carney could have been the new Berkovic but whenever we played him in centre midfield he was ineffectual.

Bowyer's tactics just didn't suit Cairney at all. In theory his tactics should have worked with the likes of King or Mo Barrow out wide, but we played at such a slow pace (I assume deliberately) under GB that pace seemed more of a detriment than a benefit. We saw glimpses of what could have been with King in the FA Cup, where we played him centrally a few times and he caused havoc against Premier League teams, but we never saw that same style deployed in the Championship. It was fairly obvious King in particular didn't have the motivation for the grind of the Championship under GB's usual tactics, and only seemed to be motivated to play when the cameras were on him against better opposition. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

“The dynamic of the squad has changed and when we took that opportunity to change we wanted it to make it more technical and dominate the ball more. If you look at the league now, all those teams are the teams with really high possession. There’s only really Cardiff who are hitting a real purple patch that are threatening that top six, the rest are all ball orientated. They all play with the ball, dominate the ball, have more shots, and their identity gives them more opportunity to win more games. That’s where we were trying to go.

“I feel as if it’s been scuppered, but as I’ve said along, it’s whether they want to carry on with the plan, or whether they want to throw that away and start everything again with a different idea.”  - Mowbray

What a load of rubbish, and proof that he over-complicates and overthinks the game. 

If he's talking that sort of stuff in the dressing room it's no wonder the players wander around dazed and confused - how are they supposed to decipher that? 

Football's pretty simple - play your best players in the right positions and let them get on with it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

What a load of rubbish, and proof that he over-complicates and overthinks the game. 

If he's talking that sort of stuff in the dressing room it's no wonder the players wander around dazed and confused - how are they supposed to decipher that? 

Football's pretty simple - play your best players in the right positions and let them get on with it.

Of course, it's waffle. It's typical Mowbray. Only Cardiff having a purple patch?

What about Barnsley? Has Mowbray forgotten them? No slow build for them. None for Warnock at Middlesborough, either and I don't believe the Middlesborough squad is a good as ours or the Barnsley one, either. I wonder how Mowbray would explain that.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Yep, utter nonsense. On the EFL highlights show on Quest they mentioned that Cardiff made less than 100 passes against Boro, which apparently is ridiculously low. Yet they've won 6 and drawn 1 of their last 7, and will possibly make the PO's. Compare and contrast the tactical genius we've got who can't buy a win or set up a functioning team.

Sadly, people buy into all his shit. 

• Like 2

He wants a plan from the owners? If I were them I’d be asking him what the hell his plan for promotion is given the investment over the past few years, in addition to him not having to sell a single player he didn’t want to. He absolutely does my fecking head in. Can’t stand the sight of him and his constant bull sh*t. It’s going to turn very sour soon for the bloke and it’s all his own doing.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 4

Just now, JHRover said:

Or did the last 3 years not really happen?

It's like when Bobby Ewing was killed at the end of Series 8 of Dallas .... but wasn't really because it only occurred in his wife Pam's dream, which lasted for a whole of series 9 ... and only ended when she woke up to the sound of Bobby having a shower. 

And we're only in series 4. 

Imagine how mental it'll all be by series 9. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, JHRover said:

He wants a plan from the owners? I thought Mowbray was the one with the plans and the owners had bought into it and backed him on it? Or did the last 3 years not really happen?

No they didn't, he reset the clock. I know people say he can't reach Kean levels, but feck me he's giving it his best shot. If he put as much effort into sorting his team out as he is trying to piss off the fan base, we may actually be up where we want to be. 

• Like 4

if we keep Nyambe the defence next season could be 

Nyambe       Carter       Macgloire   and that new Guy from Crewe (whose name I've forgotten)

With Kaminsky behind them, there is something solid to build on.

Given that Travis would start in the middle, hopefully alongside Davenport, there's a really good young side merging there----hopefully skilled and hungry. We'll have to replace Armstrong of course------McBride?

There's also Rankin-Costello/Pike if Nyambe goes. And Dolan  to throw in.

I could be proud of a line-up like that but not with Mowbray coaching the life out of them.

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Bowyer's tactical inflexability simply wouldn't have allowed Cairney to play his natural game in CM. He could have been bulked up and coached to track back more often, but I don't think it would have meant much to us in the grand scheme of things to have Cairney in that role. I think he would have ended up stifled under GB no matter where he was played.

Bowyer's tactics just didn't suit Cairney at all. In theory his tactics should have worked with the likes of King or Mo Barrow out wide, but we played at such a slow pace (I assume deliberately) under GB that pace seemed more of a detriment than a benefit. We saw glimpses of what could have been with King in the FA Cup, where we played him centrally a few times and he caused havoc against Premier League teams, but we never saw that same style deployed in the Championship. It was fairly obvious King in particular didn't have the motivation for the grind of the Championship under GB's usual tactics, and only seemed to be motivated to play when the cameras were on him against better opposition. 

I'd always thought that carney could've been a lesser tugay for us. We agree on GB tactically, I think his biggest mistake was to purely bring his youth staff and felt adding in one or two staff members experienced and better skills in aspect they lacked as a group.  A good leader knows where the group lacks skill, knowledge and experience wise and brings in people to fill those gaps. Trouble is football people tend to think they are awesome at everything and lack self perception. TM is a cracker for this.

27 minutes ago, 47er said:

if we keep Nyambe the defence next season could be 

Nyambe       Carter       Macgloire   and that new Guy from Crewe (whose name I've forgotten)

With Kaminsky behind them, there is something solid to build on.

Given that Travis would start in the middle, hopefully alongside Davenport, there's a really good young side merging there----hopefully skilled and hungry. We'll have to replace Armstrong of course------McBride?

There's also Rankin-Costello/Pike if Nyambe goes. And Dolan  to throw in.

I could be proud of a line-up like that but not with Mowbray coaching the life out of them.

Basically an u23s team with a couple of older players sprinkled in. They'd get mauled.

21 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

I may be wrong, but that sounds like he is saying it is up to the owners whether they want to keep him as manager or not. 

"Do you want to carry on with the plan" (with me still in charge)

"Or, do you want to throw that away and start everything again with a different idea" (under a new manager).

The latter, Balaji, the latter! It's for the greater good of our football club. Half of the fan base is in denial, 'terrified' due to our relegation to L1, fooling themselves that this is somehow acceptable or alright for Blackburn Rovers. We need a change to reinvigorate the club and to hopefully remind the "we could be Bolton" crew of the actual standards of this club, which thankfully, many on here have not forgotten.

I read it the same way, its also soundbites limit the damage to his managerial record if he leaves the job. He can blame venkys for not following the journey when he foes for his next job. I still find it amazing the complete lack of ambition and acceptance of mediocrity with some of our fans. The same ones that now rewrite venkys history sacking Sam because the fans demanded it, nothing to do with JA, SK or anything else. Always the fans fault with our apparent toxic fanbase !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

“The dynamic of the squad has changed and when we took that opportunity to change we wanted it to make it more technical and dominate the ball more. If you look at the league now, all those teams are the teams with really high possession. There’s only really Cardiff who are hitting a real purple patch that are threatening that top six, the rest are all ball orientated. They all play with the ball, dominate the ball, have more shots, and their identity gives them more opportunity to win more games. That’s where we were trying to go.

“I feel as if it’s been scuppered, but as I’ve said along, it’s whether they want to carry on with the plan, or whether they want to throw that away and start everything again with a different idea.”  - Mowbray

Disingenuous waffle. Why would the club need to start everything again? Just get a better manager in who plays 'possession' football but can also organise a defence and win games. The clown thinks his approach is unique. 

You heard it first people TM says possession wins football matches and only he can coach it (don't you delegate training?).

I on the other hand favour goals and have heard of pep and barca.

Please waggers ban TM from talking, the world has enough bollocks to deal with 🌍

• Like 7