BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

26 minutes ago, tomphil said:

So the suspicion is Williams is being protected for his own good so he can further his career elsewhere ?  AKA  Galdwin & Smallwood who benefited from Mowbrays genteel humanoid approach.  What is he running, his own football charity ?

If there's even a grain of truth to it it stinks, again. It's a tall order but would be in no way surprising. 

Mind you now it's been mentioned on here i wouldn't be surprised to see him back sometime soon. There's a habit down there to react or comment on what comes out on here.....

I'm starting to wonder if Ayala is getting the Salgado/Nelsen treatment ? Too expensive to play now were out of the promotion race.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Equal on points with Forrest now. How does Mowbray explain all these clubs with new managers doing well, even clubs who spent considerably less, whilst we are where we are? He has had time, money and no pressure to sell. 

The LT reporters need to grow a backbone and come at him hard. Even if it means restricted access, let that be the story then. The clubs future is at stake, as is my mental health!  

• Like 2

“I think the philosophy is what gets you there. If you’re an attack minded team, if you score goals, I understand the philosophy of keeping clean sheets and adhere to that as well, but I would prefer to defend by attacking and that’s how I’ve always done it and managed to get a team out of this league, winning this league, by scoring over 100 goals.

“You can do it and that’s the way to do it in my opinion.”

There we have it, his issues in a nutshell. Deluded. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Do you think we could genuinely challenge for promotion with Carter and Magloire involved regularly? The latter spent half of this season in non league. It would be another failed chance to fix the defence.

2 hours ago, 47er said:

You may be right, you may be wrong. My fear is that with Mowbray we may never know.

Mowbray is good at it I'll give him that.

He's out of excuses. He can't use the 'time' excuse because he's had longer than anyone else in the division and we're further away than ever. Rivals appointed within the last 12 months - McCarthy, Warnock, Paunovic, Ismael, Hughton, even rookie Rooney - are putting him to shame.

He can't use the funding excuse because through time, backing and lack of sales he's had a bigger net spend than anyone else in the division. 

He can't even claim we are a good young side having bad luck. We're performing abysmally and have been since November.

So how does he turn it around? He turns it on the owners - suggesting that the club needs 'a plan' and inferring he's one to deliver it. The suggestion being that if they axe him then we go back to the chaos of the past.

He publicly advertises one of the few bright sparks of the season- Adam Armstrong- knowing full well his goals this season and contract situation will see him on lists this summer.

The Derrick Williams situation is a typically Venky-esque saga. We wanted to 'cash in' last summer and the manager was publicly trying to drum up interest. It didn't happen and he's made all of a handful of appearances when we were down to the bare bones. Then he gets a muscle injury that keeps him out for the rest of the season and I hear he's signed a deal to move to the US  in the summer. They're having us on. Again.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

Agree with that. Just keeping our own out.

4 minutes ago, 47er said:

You may be right, you may be wrong. My fear is that with Mowbray we may never know.

My point is more that if you was to ask who is best suited to forming a solid Championship central defence, Harwood Bellis and Branthwaite or Magloire and Carter, I would say neither. 

I did think that, and yet again under Mowbray, we DID need defensive reinforcements in this most recent transfer window. You could maybe argue the merits of keeping Carter and Magloire over signing the 2 that we did but even then, I think it was correct for them to be loaned out to lesser leagues and get regular football elsewhere, as Wharton did.

My problem is not that we signed the 2 that we did over keeping the 2 kids we had, neither of those options would have not been sufficient.  It is that again we failed to sign a ready made option. I mentioned going back in for Kipre but he was made out to be a greedy, selfish traitor. I also thought that Brentford did well getting Winston Reid on loan. Going into next season, I would not be content going into the season with only Lenihan, with Ayala constantly crocked, Wharton set to miss part of the season and then Magloire and Carter even assumed that the rest of their 6 month loan is successful. I feel we need at least one who will be able to play regularly.

12 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

“I think the philosophy is what gets you there. If you’re an attack minded team, if you score goals, I understand the philosophy of keeping clean sheets and adhere to that as well, but I would prefer to defend by attacking and that’s how I’ve always done it and managed to get a team out of this league, winning this league, by scoring over 100 goals.

“You can do it and that’s the way to do it in my opinion.”

There we have it, his issues in a nutshell. Deluded. 

😱

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

He's been paid by Rovers since last year but to all practical intents hasn't been our player since we tried selling him off and it didn't happen.

I've heard that he's off abroad in the summer and the deal is already in place. No way his next employers are going to allow him to get injured playing for us before then.

As long as the Rovers paying him, but not allowed to play him, is reflected in the transfer fee, then that's OK.

1 minute ago, rigger said:

As long as the Rovers paying him, but not allowed to play him, is reflected in the transfer fee, then that's OK.

There won't be a transfer fee as he's out of contract (I think). 

A very suspicious situation and one which Mowbray should be interrogated on.

What's the betting Del makes a full recovery from this long term injury and plays whenever selected at his next club?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Equal on points with Forrest now. How does Mowbray explain all these clubs with new managers doing well, even clubs who spent considerably less, whilst we are where we are? He has had time, money and no pressure to sell. 

The LT reporters need to grow a backbone and come at him hard. Even if it means restricted access, let that be the story then. The clubs future is at stake, as is my mental health!  

Oh we've struggled because of injuries and covid, have you not heard we're the only club in the Championship with those issues. We'd be top six otherwise, the manager is sure of it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

This deal was done two weeks ago but Rovers said it wasn't to be announced straight away. My suspicion is that we tore his contract up and as a free agent he could sign for LA and join them for pre season.

It's a strange way of doing business but then not much should surprise us any more.

• Like 5

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

This deal was done two weeks ago but Rovers said it wasn't to be announced straight away. My suspicion is that we tore his contract up and as a free agent he could sign for LA and join them for pre season.

It's a strange way of doing business but then not much should surprise us any more.

Yep I recall you saying in the last match thread that he’s gone but kept quiet 

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Sharpe has pretty much said we're allowing him to leave his contract early, so you're bang on!

TM will be lamenting his loss early next season as to why we're still conceding.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

My point is more that if you was to ask who is best suited to forming a solid Championship central defence, Harwood Bellis and Branthwaite or Magloire and Carter, I would say neither. 

I never suggested Magloire or Carter should be first picked. The discussion was about the squad.

15 minutes ago, cesus said:

As long as we didn't pay him any money to go early I'm happy as he wasn't fit anywhere near enough. More room in the Vince Grella suite at Brockhall for Ayala now.

We need all the room we can get - we've had a team's worth of players in there recently.

Bennett, Ayala, Wharton, Williams

Holtby, Davenport, Johnson, JRC

Butterworth, Gallagher,