BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Concerned reading his comments.

He refers to 'the journey' and that he might not be a part of it moving forward but that he wants to ensure that if he leaves that the club doesn't rip it all up and start afresh.

I sincerely hope he isn't suggesting that he should have a role in appointing his successor and it wouldn't surprise me if the basis for this is to get Johnson or Venus into the hot seat and Mowbray go upstairs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

He refers to 'the journey' and that he might not be a part of it moving forward but that he wants to ensure that if he leaves that the club doesn't rip it all up and start afresh.

I sincerely hope he isn't suggesting that he should have a role in appointing his successor and it wouldn't surprise me if the basis for this is to get Johnson or Venus into the hot seat and Mowbray go upstairs.

Yeah, getting rid of Mowbray and then finding out that either of Venus or Lowe are appointed as a caretaker manager would be a real nightmare.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think they will stick with him in the hope he keeps us up. Then appoint someone new during the summer. Not the best approach in my view, but this is venky land round these parts 

Would be a terrible decision, as he would not doubt go on a reasonable run towards the end of the season and Venky's would change their minds.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I wouldn't take it to mean that. I would say he doesn't know what they are thinking or planning either. 

Right we're back in our comfort zone now, 13 points from the play offs watch us be top 6 in the form table between now and the end of the season. 

I dont think a sacking is imminent but just hope that the new guy gets the last 10 games of the season to have a proper good look at the squad and maybe get his way of doing things across to the team so we can hit the ground running next season. 

Tony should have gone last season. Recruitment over summer and the start to the season gave us a little bit of (false) hope that something had clicked and this might be the season ot comes together but this run of games just proves he's taken us as far as he can. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

It's just Tony being Tony, 'hey, look at all this great work I've done, I hope some football heretic doesn't ruin it'

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, getting rid of Mowbray and then finding out that either of Venus or Lowe are appointed as a caretaker manager would be a real nightmare.

The real nightmare is Mowbray as DoF and Venus as Manager.

God forbid.

That would be it for me. Game over.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The real nightmare is Mowbray as DoF and Venus as Manager.

God forbid.

That would be it for me. Game over.

In terms of actually attending matches on a regular basis, I'd had it when Coyle was appointed. I've been a couple of times since, but I used to be hard-core, every home game, most away games, youth teams,  the lot. I try to keep interested and involved but if it gets any worse my already tenuous connection to the club will be pretty much broken. 

• Like 6

I'm getting to that stage too. If we go down a road similar to 2011-12 or 2016-17 where inertia in India costs us our league status then I'm not going back.

The Covid crisis has brought things into perspective and I can't be bothered with it any more. 

If we act like a normal club, make a change and appoint a suitable replacement then we can crack on.

But more shenanigans keeping a defeated manager in place, jeopardising Championship status or micky mouse stunts like Mowbray upstairs as D of F and Venus/Johnson as Head coach and I'll be spending my money elsewhere in future.

I do think this is something they will consider. They won't want to sack Mowbray or Venus so will look for the next best option which is to shuffle things around but keep the same people in place behind the scenes. It needs a clean sweep and better coaches.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 4

I was looking at our bench last night and one word summed them up - deadbeats.

Deadbeats are people who have been in a job a long time, have nothing left to give, are going through the motions and aren't going anywhere and are seeing our their little remaining time until they are given the sack they know is coming or their looming retirement date.

We're being managed by a bunch of deadbeats

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, gumboots said:

In terms of actually attending matches on a regular basis, I'd had it when Coyle was appointed. I've been a couple of times since, but I used to be hard-core, every home game, most away games, youth teams,  the lot. I try to keep interested and involved but if it gets any worse my already tenuous connection to the club will be pretty much broken. 

Appointing Coyle was the tipping point for me also. Not because he was an ex Dingle, but because his subsequent career had been an un mitigated disaster. One failure after another.

I walked away from a club I had supported since 1960. I didn't come on here, I didn't watch football on TV, I didn't read about us in the paper. I just looked at the scores at 4-55 on Saturday afternoons and that was it.

It did wonders for my mental health, Rovers were seriously getting me down.

I only came back when Lambert was appointed. I thought that was the only sensible thing they've ever done. Especially when you consider the backroom team he had. I know it didn't work out but you could see some logic in the appointment.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I was looking at our bench last night and one word summed them up - deadbeats.

Deadbeats are people who have been in a job a long time, have nothing left to give, are going through the motions and aren't going anywhere and are seeing our their little remaining time until they are given the sack they know is coming or their looming retirement date.

We're being managed by a bunch of deadbeats

There was an occasion in the first half when someone went down injured. The Reading player walked to their dugout and there must have been at least 5 Reading coaches there shouting, communicating and instructing their players during the stoppage. Then it showed our dugout and there was Mowbray on his own and no sign of anyone else. No communication.

• Like 1

There seem to have been some improvements in the last couple of games, especially, in terms of team shape. I think Millwall next is our best chance of breaking the run of defeats and rebuilding some confidence.

After that, we have a really difficult March - Swansea, Brentford, Bristol City and Norwich.