BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

13 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Mowbrays recent comments about the owners needing a plan and if he isn't on the journey, not letting them throw it all away are odd. Does he have an eye on an upstairs, director of football type role...

If he did. My view is he wouldn't allow a manager to manage. I think he'd be sticking his oar in. He does love to talk football. He's a stubborn man as well. Too principled at times. I think he'd cause conflict. 

But.. at the same time. We feel a bit fucked. Venkys don't have a plan. As soon as Mowbray is gone the vultures will be circling to mug us off once again. Because the owners still don't have a clue what they are doing. The perfect situation of a proper set up is never going to happen. Having a person with football experience in place at director level in Mowbray, even though I'm sure it would come with conflicts and challenges could be the next best scenario.

I'm not a fan of this as I'm typing it. But. Like I said. In my opinion we really are a bit fucked.

Ah, pretty much what Ben said! 

22 minutes ago, ElTwis said:

I realise this is an unpopular viewpoint but I actually think TM in an executive role of some sort might not be the worst thing. He clearly holds the trust of the owners and its clear that lines of communication back to India are flawed to say the least. I've never met him but his reputation seems based around honesty so would it be such a bad thing having him on the ground with a new manager in place? 

Obviously it would depend on exactly what his role might be, a new manager needs autonomy and what's seen as a traditional DOF role might not be the best fit but considering we're an unusual club maybe theres room for an unusual role. I'm envisaging someone who understands the game in this country and can present clearly to the owners what's happening and what it means whilst leaving the decision making to the new manager. 

For me, you need an experienced football executive, not an ex-manager who will no doubt want to stick his oar in all the time. That would put a lot of potential candidates off.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, martonrover said:

For me, you need an experienced football executive, not an ex-manager who will no doubt want to stick his oar in all the time. That would put a lot of potential candidates off.

image.png.5b048778588f865e6d670a67dbf1e1e9.png

Edited by windymiller7
image wouldn't paste from web
  • Like 5

Trouble with Mowbray going upstairs is it'll have to be his man in place below him, same as above him.  Think it sounds like he's hinting at that with his don't throw it all away comments. What he really means is don't sack all my staff and start again with someone else if i go.

That means Venus fly trap in the bosses chair - just look at him on the touchline with TM back seat driving at times this season.  Or failing that Johnson, who would be Tony' puppet. Then he'd have to find another pointless role for Mark.

He has us by the nuts whichever way you look at it, the man has been struck by Tony Blairs god complex i can see it now.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

The only thing I can think of that’s worse than Mowbray being the manager is Mowbray being a director, put that shite idea right in the bin.

The main reason I've mentioned it and I think is on the radar of a few others is because reading between the lines in his interviews, it feels as though that it what he is hinting towards. 

I'm not comfortable with the idea. I like how @tomphil put it that he has Tony Blair god complex. He believes in what he is trying to do and his journey. The rest of us can see it's madness. Given the power of a director role I do believe that he would only install someone willing to continue his exact same philosophy. A puppet.

At the same time though. If Venkys had a plan he'd be gone already. We are vulnerable. And I do not know what the best solution could be. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, davulsukur said:

UK time i'm guessing?

We are in the sacking zone now then.

I still think negotiations are ongoing for Mowbray and Venus to leave. 

To pay them off in full will be £1million+ and you can imagine 'Madam' being a tad p1ssed off! 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I still think negotiations are on going for Mowbray and Venus to leave. 

To pay them off in full will be £1million+ and you can imagine 'Madam' being a tad p1ssed off! 

I bet they’ve not even had that conversation 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I still think negotiations are on going for Mowbray and Venus to leave. 

Cone on now, we all know that isn't happening. I'm sure everyone connected with the Venky's/Boardroom is uncomfortable at the moment, not because of the results, but because they don't want to have to make a decision to sack our Tony, who they clearly like, and whom some are friends with.

5 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Another reason it's not happening.

As soon as he wins a game the pressure valve is re-set and on we go. ATM it's just about getting Honest Tony to the summer unscathed so he can fill the heads of the gullible with more promotion talk.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong and he's potted tomorrow. 

29 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Move him upstairs?

Just wtf can this man offer our club?

IMO, only move for Mowbray should be as far away from Ewood as possible followed by Venus, Lowe (think those Sky pictures of our coach at Reading were frightening - IMO, a lifeless and vacuous individual), Benson and Waggott.

I didn't realise it was Lowe at first, but I actually said to my daughter "who's that guy there? He looks like he's won a competition to sit in the dugout for a game"

1 hour ago, ben_the_beast said:

Mowbrays recent comments about the owners needing a plan and if he isn't on the journey, not letting them throw it all away are odd. Does he have an eye on an upstairs, director of football type role...

If he did. My view is he wouldn't allow a manager to manage. I think he'd be sticking his oar in. He does love to talk football. He's a stubborn man as well. Too principled at times. I think he'd cause conflict. 

But.. at the same time. We feel a bit fucked. Venkys don't have a plan. As soon as Mowbray is gone the vultures will be circling to mug us off once again. Because the owners still don't have a clue what they are doing. The perfect situation of a proper set up is never going to happen. Having a person with football experience in place at director level in Mowbray, even though I'm sure it would come with conflicts and challenges could be the next best scenario.

I'm not a fan of this as I'm typing it. But. Like I said. In my opinion we really are a bit fucked.

That must absolutely NOT I repeat NOT be allowed to happen.

I'm not sure what this obsession with Mowbray is, it's not as if he's a King Kenny who would be a major asset and add to the stature of the Club going forward if used properly.

He's a bloke with (at the very best) an extremely ordinary managerial career. We rescued him off the managerial scrapheap and whilst he did well for a season and a half to two seasons he has been imo an abject failure at Championship level despite having millions and millions of pounds of financial support chucked at him.

He and Venus don't seem to have any concept of what Championship players are worth these days either in terms of their salary demands.

Having him as a DOF would be an absolute disaster. The manager wouldn't be able to manage and Mowbray would always looking to protect the players already here over bringing in new players to try and improve the starting eleven.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, den9112 said:

Hibernian (caretaker)  Mark Venus                        
Middlesbrough (caretaker) Mark Venus                        
Coventry City (caretaker) Mark Venus

Blackburn Rovers current manager Tony Mowbray next caretaker manager  --------

JFHC

That might have been what Mowbray was alluding to when he said keep the footballing ethos of the Club the same if he goes. Hoping to keep Venus in a job.

Mowbray or Venus, we'd better hope neither Rotherham or Sheffield Wed put a run together.

• Like 2

The thing is for me apart from Mowbray talking about his job their is nothing leaking about the pressure he is under, he played the media game on sky last night then on our inhouse it was completely different. I do not think he is going anywhere we will start next season with him

• Like 1

The presenter on sky made excuses for him. She said something along the lines of "what else could he have done with all the injuries etc". They were all being a bit protective. I would like to hear, say, Roy Keanes take on our current form and what the implications of that would be for a manager. The two lads last night were ok though, more critical than we have seen previously. It's unavoidable really.We are surely bottom of the form table of every team in the UK? Europe? 

26 minutes ago, den9112 said:

Hibernian (caretaker)  Mark Venus                        
Middlesbrough (caretaker) Mark Venus                        
Coventry City (caretaker) Mark Venus

Blackburn Rovers current manager Tony Mowbray next caretaker manager  --------

P22: W9 D4 L9

Only person I’d keep is Johnson.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

The thing is for me apart from Mowbray talking about his job their is nothing leaking about the pressure he is under, he played the media game on sky last night then on our inhouse it was completely different. I do not think he is going anywhere we will start next season with him

I will be starting next season with either a new first team manager, or watching  the U23s.

Edited by rigger