BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Would it be different if we'd never have gone down and come back up but instead just scraped up and just ploughed steadily along in the same poor finishing positions?

Definitely.

Bowyer did well initially but there was never any particular affection for him considering the mess he inherited as a total rookie, the flirtation with the play offs, good cup runs etc.

Largely due to the fact, in my opinion, that the fanbase still had fairly high expectations for the club at that stage, the L1 stint has seen those standards drop markedly.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Why though?

Why are some people happy with 12-15th ?(at best)

I just don't get it.

Would it be different if we'd never have gone down and come back up but instead just scraped up and just ploughed steadily along in the same poor finishing positions?

Some people just have a support the team/manager mentality built into them. The likes of Birdy, who's absolutely a massive fan, won't have a cross word said about them. You have to respect their opinion even though (in my opinion of course) it's narrow minded and lacks ambition. He's still riding on the crest of the promotion wave with some folk too. Would he get any of the current crop of league 1 teams promoted though? I highly doubt it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Some people just have a support the team/manager mentality built into them. The likes of Birdy, who's absolutely a massive fan, won't have a cross word said about them. 

Unless it’s Allardyce, of course...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wood26 said:

Should Mowbray leave end of season, like he probably should if we are a mile off play offs, he should be remembered for turning this club around. If he goes, he leaves the next manager a great squad of young players.

Kaminski, JRC, Pickering, Travis, Buckley, Dack, Armstrong, Brereton, Dolan.

IF he goes, he’s been a success, and taken us as far as he can and left us in a good position to progress.

He hasn't turned us around. Laughable POV with no evidence.

He managed to chuck enough points away to get us relegated.

We got promoted because we kept the Championship squad, not because of Tony. I fact it was in spite of him and his attitude to not coming top was disgraceful.

Since then we are just back to square 1 as a mid table Champ side and regressing.

Don't see what had changed or turned around. Nothing.

Oh one thing.... the standard expected has dropped significantly.

4 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

He hasn't turned us around. Laughable POV with no evidence.

He managed to chuck enough points away to get us relegated.

We got promoted because we kept the Championship squad, not because of Tony. I fact it was in spite of him and his attitude to not coming top was disgraceful.

Since then we are just back to square 1 as a mid table Champ side and regressing.

Don't see what had changed or turned around. Nothing.

Oh one thing.... the standard expected has dropped significantly.

I'll remember him as the guy who wasted 3 seasons and £12 million in the process if he goes in Summer.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, roverandout said:

There's also another idiot on there called Mowbrayin

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1069764071?-11198:839

Hypothetical I know but would love Slavisa Jokanovic if we could afford him. Foreign but with good knowledge of English football. 
However I still believe Mowbray deserves a season not decimated by injuries like this season to see where we really are

6 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Hypothetical I know but would love Slavisa Jokanovic if we could afford him. Foreign but with good knowledge of English football. 
However I still believe Mowbray deserves a season not decimated by injuries like this season to see where we really are

He deserves the sack. Every club has injury problems.  Some managers know how to deal with it though 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, roverandout said:

He deserves the sack. Every club has injury problems.  Some managers know how to deal with it though 

Not the amount we have had. Even Klopp can’t deal with the injuries Liverpool have had. It’s not easy 

1 hour ago, Tugayisgod said:

Injuries are symptomatic of a struggling club, and many of the injured players are known sicknotes or in the twilight of their careers.

We will be hearing the same bleating next season, no doubt.

• Like 2

For anyone that reads the Nicko gossip column in The Sun, the “whispers” section seems to be referring to Mowbray potentially getting fired because of the Ayala signing. 

To paraphrase: Which championship manager’s job may be on the line after being urged NOT to sign an injury prone defender last summer, only to then go and give him a 3 year deal. He’s barely played since due to injury. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

Hes called Joe bloggs. Reckons we're a small club with one of the lowest wage bills. Blames our problems on only getting 12,000 supporters a week at Ewood.  And who's to blame for the small crowds

He needs to find another club to support them seeing as Rovers have never been any different on that score.

• Like 3

The Ayala signing was a bit of a desperate one imo, god knows what wages they've gone and thrown at him.

Crazy on the back of the aggro with Mulgrews contract still weighing the club down. If old Tone and the boys have gone rogue he should be fired tomorrow. Most likely though just another misguided signing set up by the old boys network.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tugayisgod said:

Not the amount we have had. Even Klopp can’t deal with the injuries Liverpool have had. It’s not easy 

Thing is most of those injuries aren't a surprise. Lenihen, Williams and Ayala all known for being crocks. As are Holtby and Evans in midfield and to a lesser extent Johnson. None of the above are renowned for their constant availability. Of them 3 were signed by TM and the other 3 have all been at the club for the entity of TMs tenure. He's either signed them or had ample time to ship them out. So it's really a problem utterly of his own making giving us that sort of fitness handicap even before we start. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, rovers11 said:

For anyone that reads the Nicko gossip column in The Sun, the “whispers” section seems to be referring to Mowbray potentially getting fired because of the Ayala signing. 

To paraphrase: Which championship manager’s job may be on the line after being urged NOT to sign an injury prone defender last summer, only to then go and give him a 3 year deal. He’s barely played since due to injury. 

can you post the link to it or post a picture of the story please?

Who has Mowbray signed permanently?

Kaminski, Pears, Stergiakis

Ayala, Bell, Pickering

Davenport(originally for U23s), Holtby, Johnson, Downing, Rothwell, Dack, Chapman, Dolan

Armstrong, Gallagher, Brereton

17 players - not a full squad. Mowbray does not build a side.  Pickering hasn't played for us yet. Those in bold are worth the shirt. Those not, either get injured too much or have been played out of position, goalkeepers excluded.

Downing gets picked in midfield and then the defence boots the ball upfield, bypassing him.

We'll lose Armstrong to transfer this summer.

A foreign manager, ie not English. Ismael has been a revelation at Barnsley since he came in, as manager. I wish Venkys would make the change now and bring in a manager and team to review the squad and work on contracts. Two weeks into the transfer season, which when Venkys usually do their quizzing is just wasting too much time.

Edited by Richard Oakley
  • Like 4

My mum told me about arma today. I'd snap anything over 20m for him, gallys rebounds combined with Brereton playing Central should fill the void.

On TM, 1 win in? Hardly the time to crow. You always said you'd walk if you were a burden on our club, so since you're dragging us down to league 1 presently, it's taxi time. 🚕

Jokanovic, yes please 👍