BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

sooner or later venkys will wonder  why are we still in the same position we were five seasons ago after backing the manager with decent funds,swag will blame mowbray to save himself and we`ll finally be rid of the dinosaur,they won`t keep propping us up forever without questions about progress,they ar`nt naive business wise,the virus will have distracted them financially

32 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I am just totally amazed he is still here. We've won one game in ten, lost seven in ten, we had the explicit target of making top six. 

It's insane he is still in a job.

And as I said, I really do reckon it will be one game in twelve after the weekend.

My hunch is he'll go in the summer. Hopeful hunch, admittedly, but for some reason I think it may happen.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

They arent going to say at a meeting like this that Mowbray is hanging on by a finger nail or that he would be replaced in the summer.

Mind you, I still think that Mowbray will be here well into next year

In his last 20 appearance, he has 8 goals.

He scored roughly the same amount in the first 2 months of the season as he has between now and the end of last November so.

Agree Mowbray will be here, what a disaster 

34 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Half of them.

He isn't the problem. The manager is. 

Not half no. 

Ya,Mowbray is a problem alright. Armstrong has scored roughly the same amount in the first 2 months of the season as he has between now and the end of last November. The entire team has been found out and has been unable to adapt. 

3 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Comments made by SW at the Fans forum meeting:

" The Club and Owners still had every faith in his management "

Sleep well folks..we're in good hands.

Is Waggott even in charge of sacking him or suggesting a change?

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Thought the owners were ‘believed to be displeased’ ? 😏

People said they are displeased with current results. How true that is We don't know. But 2 games this week then we have 2 week international break. Good change for a manager like they did with Bowyer and bring in Lambert

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He scored roughly the same amount in the first 2 months of the season as he has between now and the end of last November so.

Agree Mowbray will be here, what a disaster 

So he's shit because he scored lots of goals at the start of the season?

Your agenda with Armstrong is baffling, he's not even playing at the minute and it's hardly changed our fortunes has it? The thought of relying on Gallagher and Brereton to score all the goals next season with Armstrong gone and Dack injured is grim

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Kie_BRFC said:

So he's shit because he scored lots of goals at the start of the season?

Your agenda with Armstrong is baffling, he's not even playing at the minute and it's hardly changed our fortunes has it? The thought of relying on Gallagher and Brereton to score all the goals next season with Armstrong gone and Dack injured is grim

I never said he was shit. Just extremely greedy and not a team player at times. You're misunderstanding. It's not "an agenda". Just that he's open to criticism too. You could see his game change around the Bristol city match, some refused to acknowledge that. Now they still won't. My point on scoring so many at the start is simple, we were flat track bullies then, the entire team. Got found out then, him included. 

I have no doubt he could get back scoring at a good rate in the correct system. I also think he will be here next season, because I can't see a PL club pay what we want due to his all round game not being good enough for that level. 

He's pretty one dimensional this season. Not of the worldies like last season. In fact whether it's the system or what, he barely even make use of his pace anymore. 

I look at him and Shane Long, 2 speed merchants, both very different strengths to their games after that. Who will have the better career? For reference Long has played over 300 PL games. Will Armstrong get there when say Rhodes struggled? Time will tell. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

It is definitely bordering on an obsession of an agenda. He is greedy and selfish like strikers are supposed to be, perhaps a little too much at times, and the Bristol City game was a particularly bad example of a player frustrated and being far too selfish, but that was ONE stand out occasion, not the first of many or a signal of a game change. I actually think in recent months he has become far less selfish which has led to him being far less effective.

There was seemingly a narrative brewing that now he is injured, that the new attack would thrive in his absence, especially post Millwall. Armstrong has missed 4 games and we have scored 3 in those 4 games, 2 of which were from Dack who is now injured again. Between Dolan, Gallagher and Brereton, who all started all 4 games, the sole goal came from one that rebounded off Gallagher's torso. We need Armstrong more than he needs us.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I never said he was shit. Just extremely greedy and not a team player at times. You're misunderstanding. It's not "an agenda". Just that he's open to criticism too. You could see his game change around the Bristol city match, some refused to acknowledge that. Now they still won't. My point on scoring so many at the start is simple, we were flat track bullies then, the entire team. Got found out then, him included. 

I have no doubt he could get back scoring at a good rate in the correct system. I also think he will be here next season, because I can't see a PL club pay what we want due to his all round game not being good enough for that level. 

He's pretty one dimensional this season. Not of the worldies like last season. In fact whether it's the system or what, he barely even make use of his pace anymore. 

I look at him and Shane Long, 2 speed merchants, both very different strengths to their games after that. Who will have the better career? For reference Long has played over 300 PL games. Will Armstrong get there when say Rhodes struggled? Time will tell. 

Mowbray's fault as much as anything. Find him a manager who will play to his strengths and he'll score goals. All decent teams set up to their striker's strengths. Remember Sinama-Pongolle saying he was set up to help Bellamy score. Would Shearer have scored the goals he did here without the wingers and Sutton to provide service. You have to get the right kind of service to strikers then they do their job. Our players don't help Armstrong in that there isn't a set way they play to always provide him with the chances

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Mowbray's fault as much as anything. Find him a manager who will play to his strengths and he'll score goals. All decent teams set up to their striker's strengths. Remember Sinama-Pongolle saying he was set up to help Bellamy score. Would Shearer have scored the goals he did here without the wingers and Sutton to provide service. You have to get the right kind of service to strikers then they do their job. Our players don't help Armstrong in that there isn't a set way they play to always provide him with the chances

They did at the start of the season. It was all set up for him, but we got found out. 

Shearers record throughout his career showed he would score goals, whatever the team, whover the teamates, so not sure that's a great example to be fair

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't think he will be here. We won't get what we currently want for him, but at the same time can't afford to lose him for free the season after. He will be gone for £12m tops. 

As for Mowbray, I also believe he will be gone in the summer, unless we have a remarkable end to the season. 

Edited by Lucimo

2 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

I don't think he will be here. We won't get what we currently want for him, but at the same time can't afford to lose him for free the season after. He will be gone for £12m tops. 

Maybe £15 million would be the most we would get anyway. Talk of 25-30 is fairly unrealistic, even if he had longer on his contract. 

Maybe he will sign a new deal 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not for me. 

Rhodes barely played in last few seasons since leaving Rovers. Why that? Wonder if he regrets it? 

Rhodes was definitely a better finisher than Armstrong.

I personally think Armstrong has more chance of making it in the Premier League though - I never thought Rhodes would make it. An absolute shadow of his former self these days as well going off his goals record.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not for me. 

Rhodes barely played in last few seasons since leaving Rovers. Why that? Wonder if he regrets it? 

You think Armstrong is a better finisher than Rhodes? I disagree about that. Rhodes was lethal from anywhere in the box. Didn't need too many chances either. 

Ya he barely played, or for Scotland. It's mad. I honestly thought he would make it to the PL, even allowing for the weaknesse in his game. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

They did at the start of the season. It was all set up for him, but we got found out. 

Shearers record throughout his career showed he would score goals, whatever the team, whover the teamates, so not sure that's a great example to be fair

I didn't suggest Shearer wouldn't have scored goals, just that he got more than he would otherwise have done if teams weren't set up to help him..

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Maybe £15 million would be the most we would get anyway. Talk of 25-30 is fairly unrealistic, even if he had longer on his contract. 

Maybe he will sign a new deal 

Can't see him signing a new deal. If he has Premier league interest, which it seems he does, why would he re-sign with us. Best we can hope for is an auction. Brighton and West ham reported to have an interest and a return to Newcastle has been bandied about. If they can all avoid relegation this year(obviously west ham will) it may be our best chance of getting top dollar. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gumboots said:

I didn't suggest Shearer wouldn't have scored goals, just that he got more than he would otherwise have done if teams weren't set up to help him..

Every team is ultimately set up to feed the centre forward(s). We have been very clunky going forward though and from a personal point of view, Armstrong has been guilty of being part of that, along with being excessively selfish in some games. I just don't think he should be absolved from any scrutiny, just because of where he is on the scorers chart.

Needless to say a potential front 2 next season of Gallagher and Brereton absolutely terrifies me. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rhodes had no pace unlike Armstrong who does. Very crucial difference 

As others have pointed out, Rhodes is definitely a better finisher, hes as good a finisher as ive seen at this level, to suggest that Armstrong is on par in that criteria is just plain wrong.

Pace is a big asset but it is not critical, Harry Kane is not particularly fast and he isnt too bad...

Rhodes fizzled out perhaps due to the wrong moves at the wrong times and seems to have lost his confidence although in recent weeks he has scored a few goals and id certainly take him over either of the 12m dollopers even now. Not that I am saying that I would specifically target him.

One thing that I am sure of is whether or not Rhodes could have ever made it in the PL, is that both him and Armstrong are 2 under appreciated players that we have had or have, and goalscorers worthy of a top 6 place in squads that are not good enough around them and inadequate managers too.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya he barely played, or for Scotland. It's mad. I honestly thought he would make it to the PL, even allowing for the weaknesse in his game. 

It was clear that he didnt have the all round game for PL before he got there with Boro. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

As others have pointed out, Rhodes is definitely a better finisher, hes as good a finisher as ive seen at this level, to suggest that Armstrong is on par in that criteria is just plain wrong.

Pace is a big asset but it is not critical, Harry Kane is not particularly fast and he isnt too bad...

Rhodes fizzled out perhaps due to the wrong moves at the wrong times and seems to have lost his confidence although in recent weeks he has scored a few goals and id certainly take him over either of the 12m dollopers even now. Not that I am saying that I would specifically target him.

One thing that I am sure of is whether or not Rhodes could have ever made it in the PL, is that both him and Armstrong are 2 under appreciated players that we have had or have, and goalscorers worthy of a top 6 place in squads that are not good enough around them and inadequate managers too.

Are you really comparing Rhodes to Kane? Look.at Kane all.round game including hold up play, shooting and etc. 

Could Rhodes play wide like Brereton does? 

Rhodes career has fizzled out cos of his poor career decisions. His choice. 

When Lambert came in here, I remember telling yourself that he would sell Rhodes and bring in a target man striker that suited his tactics. He got Danny Graham in.