BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It was clear that he didnt have the all round game for PL before he got there with Boro. 

Are you really comparing Rhodes to Kane? Look.at Kane all.round game including hold up play, shooting and etc. 

Could Rhodes play wide like Brereton does? 

Rhodes career has fizzled out cos of his poor career decisions. His choice. 

When Lambert came in here, I remember telling yourself that he would sell Rhodes and bring in a target man striker that suited his tactics. He got Danny Graham in. 

well rhodes can`t  play wide but then ben can`t play centre forward,head a football or shoot straight,he`s a complete waste of time and money

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Could Rhodes play wide like Brereton does? 

What has this got to do with the debate? It's nothing to do with how good a striker Rhodes is whether he can play other positions. 

Also for all Bereton's versatility Rhodes got more goals in one season for us than I suspect Bereton will for us in 4 or 5. Bad comparison. 

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not for me. 

You are utterly wrong on this. Both statistics and evidence of watching them play show Rhodes is much the better finisher. Admittedly Rhodes doesn't have anything else in his game but this comment is plain daft. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Have we not suffered enough?

Ah no,I suppose if we got safe, it's kind of now or never isn't it 

I'm afraid it is. There are £12 million reasons why we need to, and the treatment table and a look to next season only adds weight to the argument it should be tried.

And we are pretty safe so it's certainly worth a run for a number of games. It's a 4 game running swing which I cant see happening (on the other teams part not ours, we can go that long without wins.) Like you say though - wouldn't want to try it when it actually mattered, it's far too risky. 

• Like 1

Brereton and Gallagher as a front 2?

I live in a bungalow so the PC monitor doesn't have far to fall when it will get chucked out, might still be usable.

The reason both BB and SG play mostly wide is because even Mowbray knows that both could not do it consistently as a central striker. They both lack the basics needed like ball control and holding the ball up and just heading the damn ball. And that elusive 'bottle' to put yourself where it will hurt.

Could Rhodes play wide like Brereton? Thankfully we had managers then who were not pig-shit thick enough to try it.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Brereton and Gallagher as a front 2?

I live in a bungalow so the PC monitor doesn't have far to fall when it will get chucked out, might still be usable.

The reason both BB and SG play mostly wide is because even Mowbray knows that both could not do it consistently as a central striker. They both lack the basics needed like ball control and holding the ball up and just heading the damn ball. And that elusive 'bottle' to put yourself where it will hurt.

Could Rhodes play wide like Brereton? Thankfully we had managers then who were not pig-shit thick enough to try it.

there is hope for gallagher,if coyle could get him going then im`e sure any decent manager would be able to do the same,brereton i think is a lost cause,there are so many holes in his game id`e just cut my losses and move on,whoever scouted him should be banished from the game imo

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

there is hope for gallagher,if coyle could get him going then im`e sure any decent manager would be able to do the same,brereton i think is a lost cause,there are so many holes in his game id`e just cut my losses and move on,whoever scouted him should be banished from the game imo

We all just want him to do well so I think we cling to any positives. He has a long way to go though. Not what we needed or when we needed it. Stupid signing in reality. 

Neither were what we needed at the time and the fact they are still scrabbling around loaning defenders backs that up 100%.  Throw in we still only have one reliable goal scorer as well shows how misguided it was. 

There's no hindsight to it either most said at the time 'what about defense' and it still remains unanswered properly. Rather ironic there's rumours he's under scrutiny for giving Ayala 3 years after being advised not when he's got away with the forward flops for so long.

I still don't think BB was a Mowbray signing but Gallagher most definitely looks like he is.

• Like 1

Brereton has ability, he shows it in glimpses and was a really good player for England at youth level before we signed him. Some time has passed and we've not seen it consistently but in the same way we talk about Nyambe and Travis there is a common denominator in all of this hence the title of the thread.

As mentioned a few posts above, Coyle got a tune from Gallagher, through the middle. Everyone knows strikers live off confidence, how as a striker do you feel when the Manager picks you to play on the wing. Gallagher is not a winger and never will be and his confidence as a striker must be shot. He proved he can score goals during the loan season and he was younger and less experienced. 

Both have a long way to go to be top championship players but with time and the right approach...

In my opinion both can do a job if given a consistent run in the right position and the right system but to get that confidence they need a fresh face at the top that gives that clean slate.

Of course we will never know unless something changes at the top.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

I think BB has got something. He can turn and move with the ball but it’s too few and far between. His balance and finishing is pretty poor but the right coaching can work on that. He’s running out of time though. 

As for Gallagher we all know he can get goals because we’ve seen it! He just looks like a lost little boy atm and playing out of position isn’t going to help 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Wonder if Tony's ever thought of playing Gally as a number 9?

I believe he did once away at PNE  ?

He scored 2.....then went back to being shoehorned in as a right sided forward/winger/defensive wideman

• Like 9

Like Raheem Sterling. He moved from Liverpool to Man City. Once Pep got hold of him slowly but surely he changed from an 80% player to a 100% player for his club and for England.

It takes a good manager to do this. We need one. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tomphil said:

Neither were what we needed at the time and the fact they are still scrabbling around loaning defenders backs that up 100%.  Throw in we still only have one reliable goal scorer as well shows how misguided it was. 

There's no hindsight to it either most said at the time 'what about defense' and it still remains unanswered properly. Rather ironic there's rumours he's under scrutiny for giving Ayala 3 years after being advised not when he's got away with the forward flops for so long.

I still don't think BB was a Mowbray signing but Gallagher most definitely looks like he is.

All of the Boro signings should be forensically examined from a footballing and financial viewpoint.

It would not take 2 of the Worlds top financial consultancies to do it either.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

All of the Boro signings should be forensically examined from a footballing and financial viewpoint.

It would not take 2 of the Worlds top financial consultancies to do it either.

Iv'e thought for a long time that there is a 'we bring one in, you bring one in' policy at Rovers.  Going way back before Mowbrays time.

Transfers here in and out never stack up properly at least 50% under this lot don't make sense. Not saying that because they've all turned out to be crap, they haven't but we rarely seem to get what we actually need. 

Also the dot joining can be alarming at times.  Not saying there's owt dodgy with this present one but there is 100% an old boys network at play.  Shows a manager not very confident in his recruitment if he has to keep doing that.

Still waiting for him to sign someone from Boro who ios young enough, fit enough and good enough to play every week in this league.....

• Like 1

We brought in Kaminski, we had Fisher who now plays every week for MK Dons (and is doing well, by all accounts), we brought in the Greek lad... so why was Pears needed on a FOUR year deal (longer contract than I remember any new signing coming in on)?

Just like all these property coincidences, I’m sure the fact his dad has a decades old friendship and is a former teammate and member of the manager’s coaching staff, is just another...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

We brought in Kaminski, we had Fisher who now plays every week for MK Dons (and is doing well, by all accounts), we brought in the Greek lad... so why was Pears needed on a FOUR year deal (longer contract than I remember any new signing coming in on)?

Just like all these property coincidences, I’m sure the fact his dad has a decades old friendship and is a former teammate and member of the manager’s coaching staff, is just another...

Please clarify as I think it's something I don't know

Mowbray's signings:

Smallwood, Downing x 2, Johnson, Armstrong, Chapman, Dack, Samuel, Pears, Ayala, Douglas, Cunningham 

I don't think Mowbray Signings:

Brereton, Kaminski, Davenport, Rothwell, Braithwaite, Stergiakis, Harwood Bellis, Pickering, Adarabioyo, Dolan, Nuttall, Hart

Middle ground could be Mowbray but maybe not:

Gallagher, Holtby, Antonsson, Bell, Gladwin, Payne, Trybull

• Like 1