BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Another barrel load of garbage from him. Bemoaning the fact that sides sit deep against us, Cardiff did it in the 4th game of the season we didn't have an answer then and 30+ games on we still don't. Instead of moaning about it come up with some fresh ideas instead of doing the same things game after game and getting the same results. As for saying that Gallagher 'isn’t someone who historically has scored goals from crosses'. Well it's quite difficult for him to when he is the one putting the crosses in tonight for example we had the 6ft 3 Gallagher putting in crosses for the 5ft 5 Dolan. But Gallagher showed under Coyle that if played central he can score goals from crosses. 

'Find the answers' - Mowbray's verdict on Bristol City stalemate | Lancashire Telegraph

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Another barrel load of garbage from him. Bemoaning the fact that sides sit deep against us, Cardiff did it in the 4th game of the season we didn't have an answer then and 30+ games on we still don't. Instead of moaning about it come up with some fresh ideas instead of doing the same things game after game and getting the same results. As for saying that Gallagher 'isn’t someone who historically has scored goals from crosses'. Well it's quite difficult for him to when he is the one putting the crosses in tonight for example we had the 6ft 3 Gallagher putting in crosses for the 5ft 5 Dolan. But Gallagher showed under Coyle that if played central he can score goals from crosses. 

'Find the answers' - Mowbray's verdict on Bristol City stalemate | Lancashire Telegraph

I commented on it on the match thread but read that quote again, that's not actually what it says. There's a double negative 😅.

Mowbray out!

Mowbray isn't going anywhere unless he is paid off and I doubt "The Coventry 3" as a whole intend going anywhere until the Brockhall development thing is resolved one way or the other.

Ideally we need the owners to step in and give all three the bullet. 

We can but live in hope. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Gallagher would score goals if he plays up front and we created chances and crosses for him? 

59 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gallagher would score goals if he plays up front and we created chances and crosses for him? 

Will never be a regular goalscorer at this level. People bang on about that season when he got 11 goals as if that was a poor season for him littered with excuses, he was young, we had Coyle etc but the way we played suited him down to the ground and his goal tally was no more than ok, and since both at Birmingham and here he has got steadily worse. 

Hes a total donkey, even worse out wide yes but not much use full stop, like the majority of this supposed asset rich squad that Mowbray has built. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Will never be a regular goalscorer at this level. People bang on about that season when he got 11 goals as if that was a poor season for him littered with excuses, he was young, we had Coyle etc but the way we played suited him down to the ground and his goal tally was no more than ok, and since both at Birmingham and here he has got steadily worse. 

Hes a total donkey, even worse out wide yes but not much use full stop, like the majority of this supposed asset rich squad that Mowbray has built. 

Think you wrong here. When he has played up front whether under Coyle or Mowbray he has scored goals like his goals against Preston or Stoke. 

Give him a proper run up front and he will score IMO. If Armstrong isnt going to play then play Gallagher up front or even try both as front 2 for the rest of the season. 

Yet again for me, you are way over critical of him when it's the manager fault and responsibility for playing him out of position in most games 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

As for saying that Gallagher 'isn’t someone who historically has scored goals from crosses'. Well it's quite difficult for him to when he is the one putting the crosses in tonight for example we had the 6ft 3 Gallagher putting in crosses for the 5ft 5 Dolan. But Gallagher showed under Coyle that if played central he can score goals from crosses. 

“When do you put Gallagher on? Sam isn’t someone who historically hasn’t scored goals from crosses, it’s something we’re working every day on but we’re finding it more difficult to score goals with the group we’ve got.”

It's a nonsensical sentence but from those words he's actually saying the opposite, that historically Gallagher has scored goals from crosses. Apart from that I have no idea what he's trying to say or do, or the point he's trying to make. The only two things that are crystal clear are that he's blaming the players and taking no responsibility for his part in putting the team together and organising them.

The second thing is he's completely and utterly clueless.

Someone should give him a nudge and tell him that his problems are all his doing. He didn't sign defenders, he signed two duds upfront for a lot of money, he constantly plays them out of position and constantly tries to stop the opposition playing to the point of stopping his own players playing. The problem is the manager.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Think you wrong here. When he has played up front whether under Coyle or Mowbray he has scored goals like his goals against Preston or Stoke. 

Give him a proper run up front and he will score IMO. If Armstrong isnt going to play then play Gallagher up front or even try both as front 2 for the rest of the season. 

Yet again for me, you are way over critical of him when it's the manager fault and responsibility for playing him out of position in most games 

I don’t massively rate Sam Gallagher but Mowbray has ruined him. I think in a 2 upfront he could get an acceptable amount of goals. Feel for him out on the wing, playing a role he’s never looked comfortable in. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Butty said:

I don’t massively rate Sam Gallagher but Mowbray has ruined him. I think in a 2 upfront he could get an acceptable amount of goals. Feel for him out on the wing, playing a role he’s never looked comfortable in. 

You are correct that Mowbray has ruined Gallagher by playing him wide regularly and not playing him in his proper position.

I think he would 10 to 15 goals if he played in proper position. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You are correct that Mowbray has ruined Gallagher by playing him wide regularly and not playing him in his proper position.

I think he would 10 to 15 goals if he played in proper position. 

I think that's wildly optimistic.

He probably wouldn't be quite as bad up front as out wide but he's a £5m dud.

End of.

What makes it all the more criminal is that we knew already he wasn't that good from  the first time he was here, albeit he was better and looked a lot more mobile and athletic than he does now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think that's wildly optimistic.

He probably wouldn't be quite as bad up front as out wide but he's a £5m dud.

End of.

What makes it all the more criminal is that we knew already he wasn't that good from  the first time he was here, albeit he was better and looked a lot more mobile and athletic than he does now.

That's where I disagree that he wasn't good when he was here during his loan spell. 

Since Signing here Mowbray hasnt used him properly since joining here. He hasnt used him up front enough

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's where I disagree that he wasn't good when he was here during his loan spell. 

Since Signing here Mowbray hasnt used him properly since joining here. He hasnt used him up front enough

He looks to me like he's been in the gym since the first time he was here and purely imo it's turned him from an athletic and  willing runner into a lumbering waste of space.

Venkys must be embarrassed surely. The world knows Mowbray should have been sacked months ago yet he's still there! Even if they do get rid this week the questions will be why have you left it until now? Didn't you know he wasn't winning games?

What’s going on with the players and results is totally normal, been 4 years, it’s got stale and they need a new voice.

At normal clubs the board/the owner would spot it and it would’ve been long nipped in the bud and a bit of momentum from a new broom lifts everybody. 

Here these things drag on and on and everyone involved just increasingly goes through the motions, the manager talks evermore nonsense as he’s run out of ideas (and knows he’d have gone already anywhere else) and the fanbase more and more apathetic.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

If he doesn't go this week then he is here for the rest of the season. My big fear is that after Norwich we have some fairly "easy" fixtures coming up. By which I mean they are at least 50/50 games. Only Cardiff and Bournemouth are fixtures where I would consider us to be underdogs. With these fixtures, and the fact they are pretty much dead rubbers now, I can see him collecting enough points for the owners to believe his inevitable bullshit that they have turned a corner, and to give him the opportunity to build on it next season. The only hope is whether Tony is brave enough to stand up to the fans in the stadium, because i can't see anything but hostility towards him. 

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You suggested yesterday that we start with Dolan up front!

I consistently berate the nonsensical tactics to which Mowbray uses but there isnt a prolific goalscorer waiting in the wings there. He had an average loan spell which is overhyped through nostalgic eyes, and even if we ignore this season, last season and at Birmingham goalscoring was alien to him. Youve picked isolated and random examples, its like me saying that Brereton could become prolific, he scored v Watford and Coventry, im not saying that Gallagher can not score the odd goal.

Last season he played quite a lot especially in the first of the season up front and in the main was shite.

We do need a new manager obviously (although ideas of one being searched for during the international break are depressingly naive) but the squad needs gutting and starting again. Mowbray has built an imbalanced rabble of rubbish that somehow managed to hoodwink people into thinking it is a top 6 squad under any manager. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

“I spoke to Nigel (Pearson) after the game and he was impressed with the rotation of the team and the ball possession, how we stretch the backline and put the ball in the box, but ultimately there was no goals.”

“I hear every week from other managers how good our team is, but generally that is on the back of a 1-0 defeat.”

How pathetic is that? Like a League 2 manager after a cup tie when they’ve just had a glass of wine and been patronised by a PL manager, ‘loves how we play, does Pep’

Having seen Pearson a few times in interviews after games & on Goals on Sunday etc, I have a funny feeling that he might've said that a bit tongue in cheek. That's if he'd managed to stop laughing like he was for most of the game.

Wait til he starts giving his post season post-mortum. 

"Covid"

"Injuries" 

"Most possesion" 

"How good we were at the start" 

"Dack injury" 

"Journey" 

"Other managers think we are great" 

Most of which other managers dealt with, with smaller budgets and less time at their clubs.

Mowbray out 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Most, if not all,  of us on here think that.  Even on Twitter and Facebook the tide has turned or is turning but there's only one person whose opinion counts and she either doesn't know, doesn't care or thinks 'Stuff you, peasants.  I like him.' 

Edited by gumboots
  • Like 1

Mowbray is in absolute self preservation mode with his post match comments. It's becoming an insult to our intelligence now but as I have said he is making these comments for the sake of Balaji and co. On a poor run of form like ours he just doesn't have the answers and wherewithal to stop the rot. 

• Like 9