BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I wouldn’t want Alex Neil. He only did well with the players he inherited. Has actually had more cash to spend than most other PNE managers and lost some players at Christmas but made their record signing too!

His signings have been as piss poor as his tactics. Next.

Isnt their record signing still David Healy? I am guessing that their new record signing is Whiteman who you are particularly transfixed with at the moment but there was no mention of him breaking their transfer record when he signed.

Him having more money than previous PNE managers is irrelevant, what is relevant is that his budget compared to the vast majority of teams in the league has been incredibly small, so a top 6 finish was always less realistic.

Neil has done more in the Championship than Mowbray with less money, always finishing above him and being far more competitive in being within the top 6 a few times. Things have gotten stale in the last year coinciding with a number of players having contractual issues and to clarify, this should in no way be a valid reason for appointing a manager therefore Neil wouldnt be more choice but he would be a notable upgrade on Mowbray.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Completely agree - and it's happening again now as far as I can see, but is that not almost the definition of "naivety"?

That they did it once is naive. That they keep repeating the same mistakes is insanity 🤔

As to why they don't learn - i can only assume they have had positive experiences in their other businesses/ventures.

4 minutes ago, Meesh said:

The original reason was for Venkys to increase their corporate image and brands globally.

I suspect the updated reason is to give Balaji's son something to play with at a later date.

Not sure how much fun you can have playing with a smouldering train wreck, but hey-ho.

If that's the case, I'll be popping my clogs seeing my precious club handed onto the spawn of a brain-dead walrus.

Fab.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Meesh said:

The original reason was for Venkys to increase their corporate image and brands globally.

I suspect the updated reason is to give Balaji's son something to play with at a later date.

Would selling us mean that 150 millions would evaporate from their balance sheet?

16 minutes ago, broadsword said:

Can't buy this, sorry. Hardly anyone knows who we are in India, they don't live in the UK, they could just get rid of us on the qt, without too much damage being done

Of course those in their business circles in India know about us. 

What other reason is there? 

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Do the Walker's family even care about Jack's legacy now? 

Doesn't Jack Walker's daughter still live local and married to Richard Matthewman?

They sold up and went to live in Monaco a few years ago.

Don't think there are many, if any, ties between the Walker family and Blackburn these days. 

3 hours ago, broadsword said:

The invites question is why do they refuse to sell us, what are they getting out of owning us? 

They're no bloody good at it, it's costing them a fortune, there's no benefit, so why hang around

Some £200 Million to see the Club relegated twice...It beggars belief.

These people must simply have money to burn but to most 'normal folk' it is pure negligence.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, broadsword said:

Not sure how much fun you can have playing with a smouldering train wreck, but hey-ho.

If that's the case, I'll be popping my clogs seeing my precious club handed onto the spawn of a brain-dead walrus.

Fab.

If Balaji’s son payed attention to results or (wishing for the stars here) perhaps even attended the odd game now and then - it would be infinitely better than now.

Right now we’re like the forgotten toys in Toy Story, up on the dusty shelf with Wheezy the squeaky penguin.

I hate that a football club can be ‘owned’ in this way. This is the shit side of capitalism. The ownership of historic community institutions should be far better regulated than this. We have no God given right to be successful on the pitch anymore than any other club, but I hate that the ownership of these old clubs like ours - the clubs that actually invented the world’s most popular sport - is at the complete mercy of distant and unfathomably disinterested shysters. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RoverInverness said:

If Balaji’s son payed attention to results or (wishing for the stars here) perhaps even attended the odd game now and then - it would be infinitely better than now.

Right now we’re like the forgotten toys in Toy Story, up on the dusty shelf with Wheezy the squeaky penguin.

I hate that a football club can be ‘owned’ in this way. This is the shit side of capitalism. The ownership of historic community institutions should be far better regulated than this. We have no God given right to be successful on the pitch anymore than any other club, but I hate that the ownership of these old clubs like ours - the clubs that actually invented the world’s most popular sport - is at the complete mercy of distant and unfathomably disinterested shysters. 

Yeah, I'm with you all the way there. It makes me sick. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RoverInverness said:

He did turn up once and was treated to a 5 star performance.  Proves they are coasting it here most of the rest of the time. Send the boy home happy once in a while and everything is fine by the looks of it.

That's the beauty of a high priced toy, it's there and it works fine when you want to play with it. Then when you can't be arsed you're not really bothered where it is or if it works or not.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, broadsword said:

“I don’t think it was too different from what we’ve been doing every week, yet we’ve been losing 1-0 and we could have lost that 1-0 had Sam not headed that one into the net, and the questions would have kept coming about how we haven’t won enough football matches"

But since we drew the game, there won't be any questions about how we're not winning enough? 

🤔

🤔 🤔 

what is this flipping maniac smoking? 

He's like a sulky teenager - it's all someone else's fault. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Isnt their record signing still David Healy? I am guessing that their new record signing is Whiteman who you are particularly transfixed with at the moment but there was no mention of him breaking their transfer record when he signed.

Him having more money than previous PNE managers is irrelevant, what is relevant is that his budget compared to the vast majority of teams in the league has been incredibly small, so a top 6 finish was always less realistic.

Neil has done more in the Championship than Mowbray with less money, always finishing above him and being far more competitive in being within the top 6 a few times. Things have gotten stale in the last year coinciding with a number of players having contractual issues and to clarify, this should in no way be a valid reason for appointing a manager therefore Neil wouldnt be more choice but he would be a notable upgrade on Mowbray.

Neil is a dud and his transfer business has been even worse. We can do so much better than him. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Neil is a dud and his transfer business has been even worse. We can do so much better than him. 

Can we do better than him? I would say so and hope so. But is he a "dud" based on the job he has done at Preston? Not for me at all. Theyve been consistently better than us in these last few years.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Can we do better than him? I would say so and hope so. But is he a "dud" based on the job he has done at Preston? Not for me at all. Theyve been consistently better than us in these last few years.

Agreed, he’s miles better than what we’ve got.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Finished one point and three points above us the last two seasons though with way less financial latitude so if he's a dud, what does that make our guy?

• Like 8

The Neil thing were i was concerned started a while back just before we got our 1 in 12.  Whilst the calls grew louder for change so did the 'but who can we get' replies as a host of bigger names got scoffed at.

So it was a fair enough comment to suggest having a look at others in this league who were doing well on less resources. And had decent recent track records instead of the usual scrapheap challenge.

Looking at someone like Neil was perfectly realistic and he would have been surely interested in listening at least. 

A promotion within the last decade, keeping a smaller club with less resources and budgets batting at the right end and out doing the likes of Rovers season on season. All made him or someone like him a logic choice for what many might just see as a sideways step but a change for the right reasons.

All that though was based on a change in summer but his stock has fallen a bit now. There'll be plenty reasons for that just like there's a few contributed to the bad season here. We are still though far better equipped than them and if we do finish above them it's probably because they've made the wrong choice, says it all really.

Wouldn't be right bringing him in now though as he'll likely need a break from it all. We need to set our sights higher but more than likely we'll stay as we are and he'll turn up somewhere else next season taking points of us.

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Who are these better managers then? Can you name these? 

Here's a few suggestions Chaddy-----from you!!

chaddyrovers

Here are some British managers/head coaches we could target to replace Mowbray before next season

Unemployed people:-

• Chris Wilder
  • Mark Hughes
  • Alex Neil
  • Alan Pardew
  • Garry Monk
  • Neil Harris
  • Tony Pulis
  • Mark Bowen

Employed people but some realistic targets in my opinion

• Mark Robins from Coventry
  • Gareth Ainsworth from Wycombe
  • Ryan Lowe from Plymouth
  • David Artell from Crewe
  • Karl Robinson from Oxford
  • Gary Rowett from Millwall
  • Callum Davidson from St. Johnstone
  • Lee Carsley, England Under 20's manager 

Here are some Foreign managers/head coaches we could target to replace Mowbray before next season(dont know whether they would be interested as I don't follow European football much)

• Marco Silva, former Everton, Watford and Hull head coach
  • Bruno Lage, former Benfica head coach
  • Vladimir Ivic, Former Watford head coach
  • David Wagner, Former Huddersfield head coach

What do people think and feel free to suggestion potential targets in you have any. Thanks

• Like 2