BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

The one positive I'm going to take from Mowbray's performance this season is the exposure of Waggott. As a club we needed a CEO that the fans can trust to make the tough decisions, friendships aside, for the good of the team. He isn't the man and the sooner both are gone the better.

The issue we have is that both tick all of the boxes for our inept owners and one plans to make them a significant amount of money. Unfortunately I think we'll be protesting at Ewood again soon enough...

Can anyone tell me another club on the planet where the manager essentially hired his CEO? There may be one but it seems extremely unusual to me (??), and if there is I'd like to know how that turned out.

It's been a frustrating season but any fan who thought Mowbray was a good manager, even at the end of last season, or thinks that the recent form is not his fault, really does need a reality check.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

The one positive I'm going to take from Mowbray's performance this season is the exposure of Waggott. As a club we needed a CEO that the fans can trust to make the tough decisions, friendships aside, for the good of the team. He isn't the man and the sooner both are gone the better.

The issue we have is that both tick all of the boxes for our inept owners and one plans to make them a significant amount of money. Unfortunately I think we'll be protesting at Ewood again soon enough...

Can anyone tell me another club on the planet where the manager essentially hired his CEO? There may be one but it seems extremely unusual to me (??), and if there is I'd like to know how that turned out.

It's been a frustrating season but any fan who thought Mowbray was a good manager, even at the end of last season, or thinks that the recent form is not his fault, really does need a reality check.

The conflict of interest is so basic isn't it?1

I flagged it up when it was first being mooted that Waggott was to be appointed but results on the pitch (in League 1) had picked up somewhat so no-one seemed unduly bothered at the time as the **** hadn't hit the fan at that point.

10 hours ago, JHRover said:

I'll never forget Waggott in an early interview of his and there was talk about budgets and structures and he mentioned needing the right structure to ensure the club could keep people like Tony Mowbray here and not lose them. Incredible comments for a CEO to make but those were in the days after promotion when things were ticking over quite nicely.

The thing that struck me more was recently when things weren't ticking over quite as nicely and Waggott went out of his way to publicly make excuses for Mowbray due to Covid.

What sort of Chairman or CEO does that? 

A proper unbiased CEO would simply have said that results simply weren't good enough and left it at that leaving the incumbent manager in no doubt he had to pull his socks up or else.

Mind you, what we didn't know at that point was that there are training grounds to be sold and housing developments to be built.

• Like 3

I suspect that when Mowbray went to Pune, post relegation, and got himself a new contract on the back of the relegation, the early seeds were sown re the STC sale and the need to recruit Maggott and Penus to see it through.

Back then Mowbray was quite publicly anti-Academy.

Nothing to do with football got him this lifetime gig.

The Vs have once again NOT been conned.

They head the scam.

Mowbray and the other scumbags will all be here next season, regardless of what happens in the remainder of this season, to continue in their real job.

May they all rot in the Hell that awaits them.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I suspect that when Mowbray went to Pune, post relegation, and got himself a new contract on the back of the relegation, the early seeds were sown re the STC sale and the need to recruit Maggott and Penus to see it through.

Back then Mowbray was quite publicly anti-Academy.

Nothing to do with football got him this lifetime gig.

The Vs have once again NOT been conned.

They head the scam.

Mowbray and the other scumbags will all be here next season, regardless of what happens in the remainder of this season, to continue in their real job.

May they all rot in the Hell that awaits them.

It wouldn't surprise me if a plan B was pitched to them to raise funds at that time.  And Tony just happened to know the right people for that plan but Vs tipped up a few quid and we got back up.

Covid however and the Dack sale being scuppered by injury, along with the phone not ringing for Armstrong with enough 00's has firmly put it back in the pipeline.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Does anyone remember the days when supporting Rovers was all about the football? Pure & simple, football. The guys in charge had the best interests of the club at heart & even when we were skint, they always tried to make the best decisions for Blackburn Rovers Football Club.

I do. As do many others on here but there is a whole generation of fans who don't. All those in their late teens/early 20s know nothing else than this shitshow & probably think it's normal! Consider that for a moment. 

It's no wonder they get all OTT on FB & the like after every win. It's frightening!

They were the Good Old Days, when I knew who the manager was but rarely paid attention to who was on the Board. Unless the manager was especially shit - it did happen, even then.

• Like 2

It's not just Sky, is it? Lazy all round. You do have to admire how Tony has managed to retain his reputation though, regardless of results!

Reporter on radio 5 just asked if his time is up, and his response was that Rovers fans still remember the good times, and therefore lack patience for incremental progress.

Suppose it goes to show how out of touch with reality the whole analysis/punditry industry is but they can get away with it, as it only really stands out as blatant nonsense when it's your club.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Does anyone remember the days when supporting Rovers was all about the football? Pure & simple, football. The guys in charge had the best interests of the club at heart & even when we were skint, they always tried to make the best decisions for Blackburn Rovers Football Club.

I do. As do many others on here but there is a whole generation of fans who don't. All those in their late teens/early 20s know nothing else than this shitshow & probably think it's normal! Consider that for a moment. 

It's no wonder they get all OTT on FB & the like after every win. It's frightening!

Yes, I miss those days. There was a genuine buzz and excitement about games before this lot rocked up in 2010. I've mentioned previously how I never used to think about John Williams, Tom Finn etc back in the 2000s as they did a great job in running the club. No manager was unsackable, results mattered and we knew that the board would act if things were going wrong. There was a calm about the club back then, so it was all about the football.

I was so into the games that I would listen to the entire Radio Rovers broadcast for midweek games when I couldn't get to Ewood. It was from 4 till 11pm! but I loved it. I didn't bother doing that even once post November 2010. Not surprised that they canned it a few years ago. They've ruined everything else about the club, so why not add another thing to the list.

These tossers have bought nothing but chaos and distress to the club ever since they set foot in the place. Seeing what they have reduced the club to and the chancers they have allowed in infuriates me. It angers us older fans more as we know how far the club has fallen and that it's all down to the stupidity and neglect of the owners.

I feel for the younger fans who have only ever known this horror show. The L1 promotion is the best thing they have seen Rovers do, so maybe that's why they won't hear anything against Mowbray and constantly refer to Bolton and Wigan when the owners are brought up.

Something I always tell them (and myself) is that this isn't the real Rovers you are watching. The real Rovers will be back when these owners do one. The wait goes on, but we gotta keep the hope alive.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, rock steady said:

It's not just Sky, is it? Lazy all round. You do have to admire how Tony has managed to retain his reputation though, regardless of results!

Reporter on radio 5 just asked if his time is up, and his response was that Rovers fans still remember the good times, and therefore lack patience for incremental progress.

Suppose it goes to show how out of touch with reality the whole analysis/punditry industry is but they can get away with it, as it only really stands out as blatant nonsense when it's your club.

If there was any progress at all many of us would be very patient but we're going backwards so fast it's unbelievable

• Like 2

Coyle was sacked when it was “too late”. A decent Championship manager would have saved us but Mowbray’s supporters would have us believe that he wasn’t culpable.

Will they again wait too long to make a change again?

Was it Pasha who made the decision and spoke to the owners? No chance Waggott will do anything so we are completely relying on Suhail to act.

I guess with such rich owners, who don’t care about results, it really doesn’t matter which division we are in - but surely it matters to Suhail? Does he have no pride? No shame? Even if Waggott and Mowbray apparently don’t?

Don’t worry it isn’t hope talking but more of a last chance game of pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Just 5 places higher in the table now than when he took over from Coyle, when you consider the funds he has had and the fact he has not had to sell any key player then for me he is just as bad as Kean and Coyle.

Mowbray's way worse than Coyle. Owen was given a bad hand, which to be fair he played badly, but sometimes managers don't work out and they leave after half a season, happens to all clubs at some stage.

However, with what has come to light about the Brockhall plans, the question is whether him or Kean will end up as the most hated former manager. All depends what state the club is in when he (finally) leaves us. 

• Like 1

I'm not even sure what to say or to think anymore. Sack him now, ok, but what is the message then? 'Things were ok up until this point, but now it's too much?' No. If Venkys think the past year, let alone the past few months, was ok in any way shape or form then we are doomed. I mean it's not even TM's fault anymore, in terms of his job performance he has been a useless sack of s*** for a long time now, and the owners seem to be keeping him on out of spite toward the fans.

I'm just at a loss, I really am. It seems that we are going straight to hell and that is that. 

Tony Mowbray doesn't want to be 'a burden' on Rovers | Lancashire Telegraph

“I don’t want to be a burden on the club, if I’m the problem then that's no problem, the owners have to tell me. Other than that, I love the game, I've been here before, I'll keep going"

Mowbray on the 26th Feb.

He isn't resigning. He's waiting for the sack.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Tony Mowbray doesn't want to be 'a burden' on Rovers | Lancashire Telegraph

“I don’t want to be a burden on the club, if I’m the problem then that's no problem, the owners have to tell me. Other than that, I love the game, I've been here before, I'll keep going"

Mowbray on the 26th Feb.

He isn't resigning. He's waiting for the sack.  

Yep, which is why there's no point in even getting angry at TM anymore. He has dared the owners to sack him, they have said no. The owners are the problem, always have been, and we are going absolutely nowhere good with them on board. I don't care if they appoint Guardiola tomorrow, Venkys will always be the bane of this club. 

• Like 2