BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

54 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It's all depends on whether we could get Wilder or Hughes in who wouldn't a DoF in place or an coach who wants that in place 

Yes, I was going to make the same sort of point that Waggott for example could legitimately describe himself as an experienced football administrator so how do you know your DOF is going to be any better than Waggott?

Would you want someone like Waggott dictating to someone like Hughes who they can and can't buy?

1 hour ago, perthblue02 said:

Like Anderson and Kean?

Look at Webber and Farke successful setup in director of footbal/head coach structure 

40 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yes, I was going to make the same sort of point that Waggott for example could legitimately describe himself as an experienced football administrator so how do you know your DOF is going to be any better than Waggott?

Would you want someone like Waggott dictating to someone like Hughes who they can and can't buy?

Look at Norwich City or Brentford with their director of football like Stuart Webber or Phil Giles of successful director of football/head coach.

Waggott isnt a director of football operations tho. I would sack him too with Mowbray and Venus. 

We give Mowbray full control of football matters, 20 millions in fees, plus wages and in 3 seasons we aren't better off. 

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We give Mowbray full control of football matters, 20 millions in fees, plus wages and in 3 seasons we aren't better off. 

I agree on Mowbray, you have to appoint the right manager with  boundless enthusiasm and a keen eye for a player. i

We haven't got that. However if you do have it I can't see what benefit a Director of Football brings.

It's all very well citing the success of two blokes from Norwich and Brentford with hindsight. I've never heard of them and haven't a clue what their respective backgrounds are or whether they were highly regarded before they took up those roles. How do you know a DOF is going to be any good before they start?

I'd say the ultimate DOF type Club where the Coach is pretty expendable is Watford. Would you say they were particularly successful? 

I'd say not and would label them a bit of a basket case of a Club albeit they're doing far better than us which speaks volumes as to the situation here.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It's all very well citing the success of two blokes from Norwich and Brentford with hindsight. I've never heard of them and haven't a clue what their respective backgrounds are or whether they were highly regarded before they took up those roles. How do you know a DOF is going to be any good before they start?

You never heard of Stuart Webber? Was at Huddersfield when they got promoted under Wagner. Left Them for Norwich where he has 1 promotion achieved and set for another one. He appointed Farke there aswell. I have posted different articles and videos on him. 

Maybe by their background in previous Direction of football roles. We have director of football like Simon Hunt and Paul Senior before never give them the power to make decisions or time. 

Like at WBA who has Luke Dowling as director of football who was here as Head of recruitment under Appleton..

10 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

There are numerous examples of fabulous football coaches that debunk this, in fairness.

Mourinho, Wenger, etc etc

https://www.google.com/search?q=arsene wenger playing career&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-m

https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&client=firefox-b-m&q=jose+mourinho+playing+career&oq=Jose+playing+career&aqs=heirloom-srp.0.0l4

Just saying...

12 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

I was thinking about the numbness that TM has created at the club. I'm no longer excited when we win because I know its meaningless and that we won't build on it and push on. I'm actually left wondering what TM would have to do to get some feeling back in the club. 

If he stays in the summer and by some miracle we win the first 10 games with solid performances, wouldn't we all just be waiting for another 1 in 15 run of form? I had some hope at the start of this season and that was crushed. I really struggle to see what TM can do to win the fans back now. 

He can't

We just need 3 points asap 

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Bloody ell.  Micky Quinn back left , Lee Bowyer front left and David May front right....Good team....pity about Dominic Littlewood back right 🙄

Ha ha yeah. We were all well past our primes by this stage but there are a couple of ex pros in that pic (not famous ones by any stretch) and the following year we had Barry Lavety instead of ‘Micky Quinn’. The giant next to me in the photo is no longer with us sadly.

My advice to anyone is to keep playing for as long as you possibly can. Regardless of the standard. 

• Like 3

Oldest form of madness in the world, keep doing the same things and expecting a different result.

Mowbray et al have to go, nothing will change if he stays.

Player contracts signed or not signed, irrelevant.  New players in, irrelevant. Players leaving, irrelevant. Nothing will change just more speak about 'projects' and 'journeys', 'building a team', 'refreshing the infrastructure' etc etc etc, all bollocks. Nothing will change as long as Mowbray stays, guaranteed.

Constant lower half of the table with promises of better to come, no thanks.

WE NEED A CHANGE AND WE NEED IT NOW!

New blood top to bottom, give the new guy total control over transfer policy, give the new guy these last few games of the season to get an understanding of where we're at, give the new guy a whole preseason AND A BUDGET, then I'll feel good again about being a Rovers supporter.

If this doesn't happen then what's the point.

Answer --- NONE!

Edited by TimmyJimmy
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

I was thinking about the numbness that TM has created at the club. I'm no longer excited when we win because I know its meaningless and that we won't build on it and push on. I'm actually left wondering what TM would have to do to get some feeling back in the club. 

If he stays in the summer and by some miracle we win the first 10 games with solid performances, wouldn't we all just be waiting for another 1 in 15 run of form? I had some hope at the start of this season and that was crushed. I really struggle to see what TM can do to win the fans back now. 

I would have given you ten likes for your inclusion of the word 'numbness'. It sums things up better than any other word I have seen used.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

They'd built up some passion again after league 1 but failed to capitalize on any of it. Clubs like Rovers need a fire behind them once the blue touch paper is lit, always been the case.

They miss judged everything very badly on that score, the ambition which everyone in a town like Blackburn needs to see to believe in was just replaced by a 'job done' attitude. They all settled in the the plod instead of the push on.

No ambitious signings just new generous deals for players who'd turned in one good season after relegating us in the first place. Price rises assuming crowds would rocket again instead of trying to draw lapsed fans and part timers back in.

And a manager telling the owners to put their money away lets go at a snails pace instead.

Many chances gone right there and then. Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing, except we were saying it at the time !

• Like 6

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Ha ha yeah. We were all well past our primes by this stage but there are a couple of ex pros in that pic (not famous ones by any stretch) and the following year we had Barry Lavety instead of ‘Micky Quinn’. The giant next to me in the photo is no longer with us sadly.

My advice to anyone is to keep playing for as long as you possibly can. Regardless of the standard. 

I'd wholeheartedly agree with that last paragraph.

I stopped playing 11 aside a few years ago now but still play 5/6 aside. 

Not played for ages due to Covid but had a game last night, it was great to be playing again.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tomphil said:

They'd built up some passion again after league 1 but failed to capitalize on any of it. Clubs like Rovers need a fire behind them once the blue touch paper is lit, always been the case.

They miss judged everything very badly on that score, the ambition which everyone in a town like Blackburn needs to see to believe in was just replaced by a 'job done' attitude. They all settled in the the plod instead of the push on.

No ambitious signings just new generous deals for players who'd turned in one good season after relegating us in the first place. Price rises assuming crowds would rocket again instead of trying to draw lapsed fans and part timers back in.

And a manager telling the owners to put their money away lets go at a snails pace instead.

Many chances gone right there and then. Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing, except we were saying it at the time !

Yup.  Many of us pointed out it was the season to 'ride the wave' but the club just paddled up to the wave, then paddled back to the safety of shore.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Yup.  Many of us pointed out it was the season to 'ride the wave' but the club just paddled up to the wave, then paddled back to the safety of shore.

As soon as he said he wasn't worried about trying to overhaul Wigan and win League 1, I was getting concerned. What ambitious successful manager says they don't care about winning the league they are in?

Also to then say he had to convince Venky's to cool it when we were promoted. Sheffield United and Norwich had both proven you go for it once promoted and if you don't get promoted the first season, you will be set up nicely for promotion in the second season.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, phili said:

As soon as he said he wasn't worried about trying to overhaul Wigan and win League 1, I was getting concerned. What ambitious successful manager says they don't care about winning the league they are in?

Also to then say he had to convince Venky's to cool it when we were promoted. Sheffield United and Norwich had both proven you go for it once promoted and if you don't get promoted the first season, you will be set up nicely for promotion in the second season.

Yes it certainly set the alarm bells ringing.

25 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Yes it certainly set the alarm bells ringing.

Me too. The handing of the League title to Wigan was enough for me. I’d have fired him then. The man has no ambition other than to stay in the job. He’s completely dissipated all the goodwill that the promotion engendered. When we get back to “ normal” gates will be a lot lower than they were when he came to the club.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Me too. The handing of the League title to Wigan was enough for me. I’d have fired him then. The man has no ambition other than to stay in the job. He’s completely dissipated all the goodwill that the promotion engendered. When we get back to “ normal” gates will be a lot lower than they were we he came to the club.

Club have a massive rebuilding job to do post covid - both on and off the pitch.

It's as clear as day that none of the present incumbents are remotely capable of achieving it.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Have yet to reach the shore. The water is a little bit choppy, we lack that little bit of quality and our cox is issuing contradictory orders and nobody will throw him overboard.