BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

10A7EC47-25E8-441A-81EE-09E504283A11.pngWhere is ‘performances vs results’ remotely a debate anywhere else in first team football?  Oh yes, just the one club where a manager has a job to save with imbecilic owners.

These teenage data geeks really are Mowbray’s useful idiots

Performances v Results isn't even a debate for Rovers. Both have been woeful.

• Like 3

• Backroom
1 hour ago, RoverKyle said:

Performances v Results isn't even a debate for Rovers. Both have been woeful.

Yeah but if you ignore the results, and the performances then the ‘numbers’ show we are doing well

I believe the team that finishes outside the top ten with the highest xG goes into the preliminary rounds for the Intertoto cup and gets a £25 Subway voucher 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Its a case in point of something ive seen more than once, the continuation of an argument (in this case the twitter account admitted recently that Mowbray needs to go so its not even a point he agrees with himself) simply to back up and champion the use of data.

xG is an inherently flawed system that implies that it can be expected that over time, over and underperforming in the actual league table v the xG table will revert to the mean but that simply isnt true, it implies that all teams are equally clinical for one. Brighton would be in the Champions League if it meant anything, we would be in the play offs and Swansea would be in mid table.

This is spot on.

xG most flawed football star out there.

• Like 2

Lancs Live, yet another Rovers internet mouthpiece, doing their best to add credibility to yet another Big Lie

Headline ''The greatly improved position Blackburn Rovers would sit in the Championship with expected goals scored''

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-championship-expected-goals-20367373

Shame is not on newspaper, at least that's arse wipe.

As a side issue Lancs Live and the LT are the 2 most Advert infested websites I come across on my travels. That means of all the sites I visit.

I'm on very fast fibre but they are still a pain to navigate.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 3

Just do what I do with the LT then, don't click on the newsnow link. They can learn the hard way, all the adverts means they need money, no clicks means no money. Since their journos just want to spout propaganda in support of a man, over the club, then they can pay the price.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
11 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I'm genuinely starting to lose my mind. 

All these stat accounts now trying to convince fans Mowbray isn't doing as badly as everyone thinks? 

Are they thinking straight? 

I'm genuinely baffled.

Like a Company that's going into administration, and some analyst saying "they shouldn't be going under as they have reduced expenses in X" 

It's an absolute joke imo.

IMG_20210412_190023.jpg

If someone even has to ask whether Mowbray should be given more time, I’m astounded anyone can claim they ‘know their stuff’.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Incorrect haha, mate has a master's in sports analysis and said xG is absolutely useless and the club's don't ever use it.

I was on about the ones telling us on twitter that everything is fine  because the some of the sums add up 🤣

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Lancs Live, yet another Rovers internet mouthpiece, doing their best to add credibility to yet another Big Lie

Headline ''The greatly improved position Blackburn Rovers would sit in the Championship with expected goals scored''

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-championship-expected-goals-20367373

Shame is not on newspaper, at least that's arse wipe.

As a side issue Lancs Live and the LT are the 2 most Advert infested websites I come across on my travels. That means of all the sites I visit.

I'm on very fast fibre but they are still a pain to navigate.

All that does is provide another way of demonstrating how Mowbray has us performing below expectations.

Maybe they could do a piece about where in the league we would be sat with a decent manager?

It's a statistic created by opta. 

EXPECTED GOALS (XG)

EXPECTED GOALS (XG) MEASURES THE QUALITY OF A SHOT BASED ON SEVERAL VARIABLES SUCH AS ASSIST TYPE, SHOT ANGLE AND DISTANCE FROM GOAL, WHETHER IT WAS A HEADED SHOT AND WHETHER IT WAS DEFINED AS A BIG CHANCE.

ADDING UP A PLAYER OR TEAM’S EXPECTED GOALS CAN GIVE US AN INDICATION OF HOW MANY GOALS A PLAYER OR TEAM SHOULD HAVE SCORED ON AVERAGE, GIVEN THE SHOTS THEY HAVE TAKEN

Ah performance, the straw that is clutched by managers who can't win.

Those seeking to show how much better we are doing than our league position can't use their previous favourite, the form table. We're bottom of that. Expected goals is the 'new' fake news. Our goal tally is skewed by the 29 (half) scored in, was it the first 11 games? The leading goalscorers tag was ours. Much Mowbray made of it. Then he dropped Dolan.

One of the not so impressive stats is the number of times 2 shots on target is recorded in games - at least that's my gut feeling from all the BBC stats. The 20 shots and 5 on target against Cardiff is an outlier. Seemed like Armstrong had half of them - no I didn't count his efforts - and in half of them a teammate was in a better position. Armstrong passing to said teammates would go a long way to improving their scoring return. Of course, Mowbray's put all the onus on scoring goals on Armstrong or had until his recent walkback. 

Mowbray is consistent on flip-flops and it is the constant changing that makes him so poor a manager. His verbal gaffes don't suggest he knows what he is doing. The results speak for themselves.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, broadsword said:

EXPECTED GOALS (XG)

EXPECTED GOALS (XG) MEASURES THE QUALITY OF A SHOT BASED ON SEVERAL VARIABLES SUCH AS ASSIST TYPE, SHOT ANGLE AND DISTANCE FROM GOAL, WHETHER IT WAS A HEADED SHOT AND WHETHER IT WAS DEFINED AS A BIG CHANCE.

ADDING UP A PLAYER OR TEAM’S EXPECTED GOALS CAN GIVE US AN INDICATION OF HOW MANY GOALS A PLAYER OR TEAM SHOULD HAVE SCORED ON AVERAGE, GIVEN THE SHOTS THEY HAVE TAKEN

Once upon a time, in an age long long ago, one of my coaches in my youth, an ex-professional winger, used to shout: ''get it in the fucking sprout bag'' - to him that was the goal stat that mattered, not the aesthetic quality of a shot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broadsword said:

EXPECTED GOALS (XG)

So it literally means who squanders and wastes the most opportunities . Brilliant. May aswell be top of that league aswell

• Like 2

2 hours ago, broadsword said:

EXPECTED GOALS (XG)

Proves nothing, as we have shown 

Whether it was defined as a big chance demonstrates that this is a subjective measure. 

To me, mowbray telling our players to keep passing it backwards, and getting Armstrong to shoot on sight shows that he is trying to game the system, ie keep his job. 

I'm not totally familiar with opta stats, perhaps they can be of some use as part of an overall toolbox, but certainly not the be-all and end-all of football management. I never saw a stats table score a goal, or go on for a fifty fifty on a wet windy cold night in Doncaster in the last minute of a game you're losing. 

Edited by broadsword