BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why was Mowbray allowed to sign an injury prone player as his major defensive signing this season? why wasn't this questioned by the owners, Pasha, Waggott or Slivester? 

You never questioned it...in fact you supported Mowbray in his excellent transfer window. I remember. 

I like how you change history without a care in the world.

• Like 3

If Mowbray's latest death spiral is over (a big if I know), and with the 4 games left against teams who also have nothing to play for or are relegation fodder, it isn't inconceivable that Rovers could end up with 60 points. 

That equates to Mowbray's 1W 1D 1L Championship form average. He'll be happy with that but it completely glosses over the abjectness of 2021.

What would have happened if Rovers had 8 points from the first 16 games? Would Venkys have potted Mowbray and staff?

What would the prevailing mood be if the season was reversed? A terrible start, Mowbray staying, then playoff form for the second half of the season? I don't have social media accounts, so only see what gets shared on here but I'd wager that there would be lots of talk of promotion next season and give Mowbray a contract extension to build on the strong finish.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

What would the prevailing mood be if the season was reversed? A terrible start, Mowbray staying, then playoff form for the second half of the season? I don't have social media accounts, so only see what gets shared on here but I'd wager that there would be lots of talk of promotion next season and give Mowbray a contract extension to build on the strong finish.

Won't even take that. A couple of wins at the end of the season and a couple of current 23s doing half ok in nothing games, the happy clappers will be regenerated and the hard ons for the transfer window will sprout up.  What do they call the groundhog day's groundhog day?

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Won't even take that. A couple of wins at the end of the season and a couple of current 23s doing half ok in nothing games, the happy clappers will be regenerated and the hard ons for the transfer window will sprout up.  What do they call the groundhog day's groundhog day?

Self-incest?

• Like 4

If he's still here next season, the consequences will be profound.

However spun, a large number of supporters won't buy it.

The attendance figures will be embarrassing and Ewood will be more like a morgue.

Relegation would be a near certainty.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 47er said:

If he's still here next season, the consequences will be profound.

However spun, a large number of supporters won't buy it.

The attendance figures will be embarrassing and Ewood will be more like a morgue.

Relegation would be a near certainty.

Agree it's a certainty for a few reasons 

1) We couldn't survive another death spiral like that. No Rotherham or Wednesday situation to bail us out.

2) We will need to replace Armstrong and Elliott our best two attacking players. TM doesn't have a good record of signing strikers. 

3) I fear a Coyle type situation where significant transfers are only sanctioned after outgoings have happened leaving us playing catch up. 

4) The defence needs major work. Nayambe could be off. We lose our loan centre backs, Warton won't be fit for a while, Williams needs replacing, and Ayala who knows? That's a lot of surgery needed assuming that Pickering is any good. 

5) TM won't back down from this possession football guff which has cost us time and time again. It's not working but he is obsessed with it even when it doesn't work. 

6) TM didn't know his best team this season. How he will know if when we have a raft of new players I have no idea. Other than the start of last season I can't really remember a settled team since the early days. 

Relegation next year looks a cert with TM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Agree it's a certainty for a few reasons 

1) We couldn't survive another death spiral like that. No Rotherham or Wednesday situation to bail us out.

2) We will need to replace Armstrong and Elliott our best two attacking players. TM doesn't have a good record of signing strikers. 

3) I fear a Coyle type situation where significant transfers are only sanctioned after outgoings have happened leaving us playing catch up. 

4) The defence needs major work. Nayambe could be off. We lose our loan centre backs, Warton won't be fit for a while, Williams needs replacing, and Ayala who knows? That's a lot of surgery needed assuming that Pickering is any good. 

5) TM won't back down from this possession football guff which has cost us time and time again. It's not working but he is obsessed with it even when it doesn't work. 

6) TM didn't know his best team this season. How he will know if when we have a raft of new players I have no idea. Other than the start of last season I can't really remember a settled team since the early days. 

Relegation next year looks a cert with TM.

I don’t think he’s ever known his best team.

• Like 1

The flannel has started again, not having this fabled 100 million doesn't mean we should be so so far away from it every season. Also he's had several death spirals here and not been sacked so if someone else takes over why should they be unless we are starring relegation in the face ?

That's something that has been a real threat the second half of this season. If it wasn't for the points gained in a few spectacular early wins before his system got sussed that's exactly where we'd be. Stick that up your identity !

Parachute money has always given well run and managed clubs in this league an edge of the others. That didn't start in the last few years just to throw a spanner in his works, it's always been that way. Just means others with decent means - like us - have to be more organized, work harder EVERY game, be very astute with signings and the main thing, be better managed.  That's what gives you a chance otherwise why bother.

He's set to ramp it up in the coming weeks with more bluff and bluster as he carries on without a care in the world. Then he'll be hoisting the white flag again by December.

Why is he even making these comments anyway - unchallenged as usual. He doesn't look at the table and doesn't care about the team as long as he thinks individuals are performing and developing. He told us so just last week.

Just #### OFF !

• Like 3

The thing that is making a mockery of his identity and slow build drivel is the fact that most of his squad are out of contract in a few weeks. 

So there is no build or identity. Its a hand to mouth existence of recycling players and assembling a squad on the cheap.

Whatever identity he desires will have to be rebuilt over the summer in recruitment and coaching. Presumably this will take months or years to take effect and we will need Mowbray to lead us on that journey. No thanks.

He knows he can't point to progress on the squad or the usual claim of we are a couple of defenders or key signings short of being the finished article- we need more than half a squad- so instead he is trying to play down the scale of the impending exodus.

Like a worm on a hook and I pity anyone who still has genuine belief in where this is going.

They're more bothered about protecting St Tony and his staff than what is best for this football club. 

• Like 3

Look the slow build was meant to reach fruition this season. It clearly hasn't. I have no doubt he is using Covid as an excuse with Venkys and it comes down to whether they buy that or not. They probably will and give him next season to see out his contract. It will be a relegation battle I imagine. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

The fact that it hasn't come to fruition isn't really the issue for most, as it was always a very long shot under him anyway.

The fact he wasted an entire season transitioning then has wasted this one with the style hes transitioned to. The fact his 12 million pounds worth of forwards still look worth a third of that combined. The fact we've won just 2 out of 16, dropped like a stone until we finally find a team worse than us we can beat. And the fact he's still here preparing to carry on the same next season....

All those really are the issues.

• Like 1

You can’t ‘slow build’ in the Championship, there’s too much of an emphasis on a rapid turnover of players and managers. Loanees are a big part of most club’s set ups - the antithesis of a slow build when 4/5 players bugger off back to their parent club every June.

Alas, we have owners that still fundamentally don’t understand the game, so such self serving BS keeps him in a job.

• Like 3

He was the one who insisted on slow build if his own words a few years ago are to be believed. Now he's giving the sob story the league is being left behind by the parachute money clubs.

It's always been the case and its always been the case you stand still you get left behind.

A right visionary isn't he.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Look the slow build was meant to reach fruition this season. It clearly hasn't. I have no doubt he is using Covid as an excuse with Venkys and it comes down to whether they buy that or not. They probably will and give him next season to see out his contract. It will be a relegation battle I imagine. 

Wont be much of a battle with him in charge, will it?

• Like 3

Imagine having to adapt your game to a wide forward when you have all the physical attributes of a CF and because your manager failed to sign players that suit his own system. He should be used as an impact sub and his first touch worked on in training.