BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

2 minutes ago, Meesh said:

Also, Mowbray unwittingly admits that the teams above us have worse quality players. So it's not the players, it's not the supporters (we're not even there), then it must be... the weather!

But he's spent months bemoaning we don't have parachute money, 100 million etc and we can't compete with those above us.

He's puddled !

• Like 1

Tony doesn't like making excuses. Except that's what he has done since the day he arrived, especially since we returned to the Championship.

Infact him and his mate Waggott are the excuse makers in chief. Every time they speak they can't help but cover their own failures with a catalogue of excuses for why.

Coronavirus has been a godsend for him on and off the pitch. He's going to spend the rest of his days blaming the pandemic for our diabolical season, of course anyone with an ounce of common sense would question how the pandemic has affected us any more than any other club and point out that everyone has had to deal with these issues.

Off the pitch the empty stadia have enabled him to plod along for months on end with virtually zero hassle or aggravation from anyone, as the only people he sees at the club are those who think he is god's gift or who owe their positions to him.

So those excuses keep on coming thick and fast.

No money/we can't compete/parachute money clubs/well supported clubs - yet £20 million a year and no sales says we can compete, and Derby/Sheff Wed going down shows the old crowds argument to be pointless.

Pandemic - nonsense

Pitch problems - so get it sorted like everyone else does

Injury issues - don't sign crocks

Wage bill too high - don't give multi-year big deals to crocks

Not many fans - how about putting tickets on sale

FFP - everyone has it and manages

Players demanding too much money - nonsense as the Bauer and Ayala fiascos prove the money is there when the boxes are ticked

Hard luck sob stories and excuses. I want a manager with a 'can do' attitude here who doesn't see obstacles everywhere he turns.

• Like 6

“I tried to change the mentality of this football team that we’d come up from League One and sitting in mid-table might have been alright for us while we acclimatised to the league but we have to move on, move the parameters''

The liar re-writing history.

I could almost believe that we had spent decades in L1 and didn't keep most of the squad together, and yet I know we have those who will believe that we had to 'acclimatise' to the heady heights of the Championship.

No shame whatsoever. No apologies and no comprehension that he may be the problem.

Are we back to Year One?

• Like 5

In this weeks episode of the journey:

Dodgy Tony the bus driver resets the destination on the sat nav while keeping the meter running

The passengers shout in unison "haven't we been past that bit before"

The bus company owners are still watching the cricket and not answering their phones

(Eastenders dramatic drum roll)

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

“I tried to change the mentality of this football team that we’d come up from League One and sitting in mid-table might have been alright for us while we acclimatised to the league but we have to move on, move the parameters''

The liar re-writing history.

I could almost believe that we had spent decades in L1 and didn't keep most of the squad together, and yet I know we have those who will believe that we had to 'acclimatise' to the heady heights of the Championship.

No shame whatsoever. No apologies and no comprehension that he may be the problem.

Are we back to Year One?

This rhetoric that we had to acclimatise to the Championship after promotion is a load of bull. We only ended up in L1 as our team massively underperformed under a hopeless manager (Coyle). The squad was more than capable of playing in the Championship, as evidenced by our decent form under Mowbray, before we went down. Throwing away the chance to win L1 at the end of the season was all on Mowbray and for me was the start of dumbing down fan expectations.

I'd have kicked him out of the club a season or two ago when he made out that we needed to be worried about Preston. A game in which we went 2 up and ended up losing 3-2. That was my final straw but I will admit he bought himself some time with me last summer when he seemed to be building something. It's his negative mindset though that obviously flows down to the players and we see it every season in our dire spells after January.

This journey that we're apparently on will only have a positive outcome if we replace Mowbray this summer with someone more capable and ambitious. We can't give him another window to waste resources and the opportunity for us to improve. 

Edited by RoverKyle
  • Like 9

Blimey if the players needed to acclimatise after a season in league 1 then they are very delicate wall flowers. It's total bull. 

Raya had experience of playing in 2 seasons of the championship. 

Lenihen and Nayambe had some, albeit limited, championship exposure.

Mulgrew had a year of championship with us and then had played for Celtic before that. 

Bennett and Evans, a number of seasons in championship with us. Evans at Hull before that in the, erm Championship. 

Graham hadn't played league 1 since Carlisle after stints in the championship and premiership for years. 

Armstrong had played for Bolton in the championship, whilst Bereton was also at a championship club. 

Dack Bell and Smallwood yes, had come up from league 1. 2 of them were (I think) in the League 1 team of the season so in theory wasn't a huge jump. However 3 of your core 15-16 players is hardly a bunch of newbies who have no idea what they are getting into. 

Also how on earth does Covid affect us and no one else? I mean, on what planet can that be said with a straight face? And even if it did affect us badly how come smaller clubs like Preston, Reading and Barnsley have out performed us in these circumstances?

• Like 7

10 hours ago, JHRover said:

I'd love to believe this was the case but I just can't see it.

For starters, with so many out of contract, would it not make much more sense to make the manager change now so that the new guy could decide on who he wanted to stay?

Rather than clearing the decks then bringing a new manager in?

No. I think we are at the limbo stage here, where they have given up on Mowbray but won't do the job of sacking him so we end up in this middle ground where he does what he is told whilst funding is cut and Suhail runs it.

The club suffers because neither party is happy with things but they tolerate it to keep themselves in work.

I think Bowyer fell out with Pasha and his involvement in 2015 which is why he was replaced. Not sure if he has the clout to do that these days with Mowbray and his henchmen.

The owners have absolutely no idea of how the footballing calendar works. We all know this.

Also - I doubt Pasha or anyone would even dream of being so disrespectful as to ever tell them when they should do something. Their time on the payroll would be over as quick as Paul Lambert’s was. Even if someone did dare suggest to them that in football there is a certain time to make decisions, trying to explain to three knuckle headed, spoiled and perpetually waring siblings that they have to make a decision - like now - would be like trying to explain quantum physics to Mowbray. They’re never going to get it.

The owners have no concept of a season, a league table, an organised defence, the importance of set pieces, the need for coaching players, fitness or the need for a functioning management structure at the club. They know absolutely nothing about football. I mean nothing.

Therefore, to make the assumption that Mowbray not being sacked at the sensible time to sack him, is evidence that he’s not going to be sacked, does not stack up. The running of our football club does not follow any logical rules. 

Mowbray could be sacked a week before the first game of the season, after signing new players. It would be because that is the point when Mrs D decided to bother her arse to make a decision. It could be done late just to spite her brothers for all we know. 

If Mowbray is to be sacked it will be done at a time that suits them, not a time that suits the English football season. 

• Like 9

11 hours ago, LDRover said:

That's one of the most disheartening posts I've ever read.

wait til next season when the comments say we have already had a promotion from league 1 with tony at the helm. why on earth would we change a proven manager at this level

• Like 2

Not even a post season zoom for Mowbray. The taps are truly turned off. Will he be sacked? Not a chance. He's just being ghosted.

Pasha is not to be trusted either. His priority is doing as his bosses say which will be to recoup money. We are about to under sell our assets like how Cairney went under Bowyer. History is repeating itself. Again! 

I moved from the area when I was young so I'm not fit to comment on Blackburn as a town. But to me Rovers have always represented hard work, graft, punching above our weight so consistently that we earnt our right to belong. The underdog with just enough flair and skill to allow you to dream. Nothing handed on a silver platter. But more than anything pride, respect and doing things the right way. We weren't the best but we could hold our heads high. These owners don't represent any of us. They are the opposite. They had everything handed to them and they treat what has value to others with disregard, especially when the going gets tough. I'm not even talking about money. I just want to see integrity at the top. And this is how the world ends. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. Years of neglect and a slow, slow death. 

• Like 8

All sounds very cultural IMHO. I expect nobody would dare tell Desai what really needs to happen at a football club so as to avoid a Queen of Hearts response (“off with their heads”).

They are too proud to admit that they don’t have a clue what to do but won’t listen to any of the great unwashed who deign to know better. Even people who had been at the club for a decade before them succeeding on a shoestring.

For that reason, and in the absence of a real CEO being possible, we need a manager who they would respect the opinion of because of what he has done in the game and their media gravitas. Someone they could see as an equal across the football-business divide. Someone as arrogant as them but not as clueless about football. Jose Mourinho would have been top of that list had Jack been owner in 2021. Huge gravitas and out of work. (If anything he is becoming a fading star and in some ways inferior to the then up and coming Dalglish). But it would have been much the same: “As if Jose would join a Second Division side - let alone Blackburn Rovers”. The trouble is that he and his ilk now cost far too much (obviously).

But without that it just means that we, and our managers, will continue to be plebs in their eyes. We will always be at arms length and ignored.

In my view, Mark Hughes is the best possible alternative, plus he knows the club and knows about sorting out a defence - even on the cheap. I guess we need to know if we can even afford him. Because without the ability to spend any money (thanks in part to the profligacy of Mowbray) this misery and relegation fodder football is simply being propped up at the end of each season: the living dead.

Not so much Blackburn Rovers as Blackburn Zombies.

The only other alternative is a complete fluke like Holloway was at Blackpool (no, I don’t want Holloway). But we don’t do flukes in Blackburn, we do hard work and would prefer to be treated with a bit of respect.

Venkys have had so many excuses over the years: duped, naive, didn’t understand, badly advised, didn’t know relegation was possibly (presumably twice), FFP, Bank of India, Covid. A full decade of opportunity to address all of those things but instead we just have silence and neglect. There is absolutely no excuse to continue to back Mowbray. But as long as they keep writing checks they will continue to have excuses made for them.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Roverall said:

FROM THE LT comments:

Author: No 9

As manager TM will, I imagine. have a list of priorities in his head for BRFC. These will be, in order -
Survival
Debt reduction
Balancing the books

Assuming he can keep some semblance of control on that, the next list will be -
Sell big-profit player(s)
Buy good prospect inexpensive young players
Loan-in players from (probably) NW big clubs who need play-time for their prospects

Finally (for next season) -
Avoid relegation from the Championship

BRFC needs a manager like TM because he can do all the above. He's a survival manager who knows how to work within the budget HE IS GIVEN.

Promotion to the Premiership? He wants it, of course, but BRFC's survival is FAR FAR more important to all genuine Rovers fans. TM knows that.
Ignore the Ivory Tower contributors on here, they're just on here to wind up the real Rovers fans.
Final point. TM is guiding us through extraordinarily difficult times. Now is NOT the time to take a risk on some glamorous spendthrift. Stick with TM.

Come on you Blues!!

Now if that isn't from a club plant I'll be damned!

Could well be a Club plant but even a Club plant would have some nerve posting that load of garbage about having no ambition beyond survival. You'd expect a Club plant to post that the aim was success and pretend that (against all the evidence) Mowbray was still the man to deliver it.

No point in the doors being open if the aim isn't to be successful.

And whether this post is from a Club plant or a fan of another Club on the wind up the fact that these sort of people have to ignore and can't get round is that we have multi billionaire owners who underpin a reasonable budget which should be enough to make us competitive under a better management team.

If there is a massive shortfall in income due to Covid  the underperforming incumbents can just trot off to the owners to make up the shortfall or if they mess up in the transfer market for the umpteenth time they can just ask for more money to bring in another couple of loanees to cover their mistakes.

How many other Clubs have that luxury?

• Like 1

We are seeing the great reset now, no not involving covid and govt but involving Waggot, Mowbray and their PR company.

The journey to the top 6, that started this season and has so called been building the last 3 years is in fact the journey to avoid relegation from now on. 

Some of our own fans need beating with uprooted saplings i swear. How can you even begin to tolerate this shite. Then again most won't it's just the daft social media era that allows this kind of propaganda to take hold and become fact.

We are firmly in Kean/Anderson territory now make no mistake, punch ups in the stands coming next season. Club dumbing down going into overdrive whilst a bunch of chancers cling onto their big salaries bleeding the club.

I mean they've tried to sell half the training ground FFS, what more do people need to see the red lights flashing.

The crowds next season and their reactions will tell the real story not some facebook clowns who put a manager above the club.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

Best one this morning on facebook is mowbray being compared to Ferguson, from someone old enough to know better! 

i can see the parallels, both are sour faced, miserable looking twats.

• Like 8