BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 hour ago, funny-old-game said:

I had a conversation with a friend who has a family member at the club. The jist of it was mowbary always goes on about " I could be at home with my family" when things get to him and he can't cope with criticism.

🤪

I can believe that. He said exactly that in an interview with Andy Bayes not so long ago when he was questioned about our poor form. It angered me as his response to mild questioning was basically "I don't need this" and he gave off the impression that he was doing us a favour by being here.

I see he has got "honesty" and "integrity" in there again as well as mentioning his family. If he ever does get sacked here, just watch the sympathetic reaction he gets from the press as the fans are made out to be 'ungrateful', 'spoilt' and so on. Only at this club, under these owners, can such a charade play out.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

He bangs on about working a long way from home at every possible opportunity.

It's 90 miles! Most of my working life was spent at least 4,000 miles from my home, where my wife and kids were, at that time. Like Mowbray I had to BUT I never bitched about it constantly.

He will be on a a good basic wage, bonuses, pension and will have travel plus any overnight accomodation and food covered by the Club. Still he moans.

BUt it just 90 miles, unreal. It's NOT a long way.

Anti-social job? well that's his long term career choice and if it is such a job well don't do it.

Sympathise with him if you want - just don't expect any from me or agreement with a banal argument.

I don't agree that he bangs on about it at every possible opportunity. As far as I can see it's come up in maybe a handful of interviews over the last few years, of which he gives several every week. I'd bet that if men who do spells on oil rigs had to give interviews every time they had a bad day at work, they'd be plenty who mention that they miss their family and if they did nobody in their right mind would say they were whinging. 

Anyway, I'm not saying we need to get the violins out either. Like you say, lots of others do it tough. But I find it incredibly distasteful to use this as a stick to beat him with, and imply that he's being selfish, underhand or whatever, for what is for me a very natural response. There are so many sound, footballing reasons to want him replaced, and so zoning in on this strikes me as at best unnecessary, if not quite a bit worse than that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

He bangs on about working a long way from home at every possible opportunity.

It's 90 miles! Most of my working life was spent at least 4,000 miles from my home, where my wife and kids were, at that time. Like Mowbray I had to BUT I never bitched about it constantly.

He will be on a a good basic wage, bonuses, pension and will have travel plus any overnight accomodation and food covered by the Club. Still he moans.

BUT it just 90 miles, unreal. It's NOT a long way.

Anti-social job? well that's his long term career choice and if it is such a job well don't do it.

Sympathise with him if you want - just don't expect any from me or agreement with a banal argument.

Exactly.  He gets paid handsomely for a piss easy job.  There are people working on oil rigs cut off from family members 6 months a year that don't get paid a quarter of what he gets

• Like 2

3 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

......a majority of whom were down to 10 men!!

Also Tony, just remind us again that, with the pitch being such a big issue, exactly how much have you convinced the powers that be to spend on it this summer?

Toss pot!  

Exactly. If the pitch were that much of a deal to him he would have insisted it was done from scratch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

I can believe that. He said exactly that in an interview with Andy Bayes not so long ago when he was questioned about our poor form. It angered me as his response to mild questioning was basically "I don't need this" and he gave off the impression that he was doing us a favour by being here.

I see he has got "honesty" and "integrity" in there again as well as mentioning his family. If he ever does get sacked here, just watch the sympathetic reaction he gets from the press as the fans are made out to be 'ungrateful', 'spoilt' and so on. Only at this club, under these owners, can such a charade play out.

He's been sacked for less than last seasons debacle at all his other clubs in the last decade. 2 wins in 18 is a horrific tailspin for any club and to take no responsibility for it whatsoever is even more horrible.

What's even worse is the deluded little mob who go along with that. Just what they expect to see next season with the same manager but possibly a lesser squad than flunked last season i'm really intrigued to know.

And these owners are as big a shower of muppets as they ever have been. Keeping faith with this lot who've got everything they've asked for over the last 4 years yet look set to have us on the verge of the drop again.

Wake up FFS !

• Like 8

If you guys up there in Lancs can give him crap, then the pussy and his henchmen will leave. Sorry I don't live there (not really). Will not bother with football for the time being cos of our useless, unforgivable owners 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

mowbray is an incredibly vain man who obviously does`nt think he`s in any way at fault for a dreadful season,this vanity will be his achilles heal next season when the crown turns,he simply won`t be able to take the criticism,it`s anathema to him being questioned or critiqued

This being the reason why he says so often that he is brimming over with honesty, integrity and humility.

He knows he's not and it's for his own ego he repeats the mantra as much as it is for his fanboys.

He has been like it all his managerial career, blowing his own trumpet and unable to accept any responsibility.

I have to say though that this year in the almost daily LT propaganda sheet reporting that he has exceeded even my expectations in the issue of nonsense.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Hes a liar. Trying to create a rift in the fan base. He makes excuses.  Hes never accountable.  He has no honour

I assume that’s Kean you’re talking about and I couldn’t agree more.

That rat caused a rift in the fan base, blamed the fans for the team being shit, robbed the club blind, pissed all over Jack Walkers legacy and we have never recovered.

The reason Mowbray is here today stems from that rats time in charge.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tina said:

Tony is worse than Kean. Miserable liar. Will lose more fans than the villainous one. 

kean was just a ****** idiot who got extremely lucky and was being manipulated by the spiv anderson,mowbray is very sly,has given up managing with any ambition and is just milking the club for his wages,he does this with the veneer of being a hard working bloke with integrity,i think most of us know he`s not the man he appears in the press

it`s close run race but i expect by october of next season,he`ll be more unpopular than the scottish idiot

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gav said:

I assume that’s Kean you’re talking about and I couldn’t agree more.

That rat caused a rift in the fan base, blamed the fans for the team being shit, robbed the club blind, pissed all over Jack Walkers legacy and we have never recovered.

The reason Mowbray is here today stems from that rats time in charge.

I was referring to both

With Rotherham and Wycombe both relegated, Mowbray is now the longest serving manager in the Championship.

Sixth in the EFL 72 overall.

And that’s with relegation on his record, whether he likes it or not, and the two worst runs of form in decades which would have seen him sacked at any other club at this level, let alone one that needed promotion.

Such a shame we ended up with owners so rich, so negligent and so arrogant that they allow themselves to be exploited time and time again.

At this point, comparisons with Kean are fair. Both are unable to deliver on the field, both have divided the fanbase, and both are more than happy to bare-face the fans while talking Venkys coin while watching the team struggle. If rumours are to be believed the players have also seen through him.

We have a huge rebuild ahead, just as we did after Kean has finished overhauling the squad.

I won’t walk away” - Steve Kean, Sept 2012

I don’t want to be a burden on the club, if I’m the problem then that's no problem, the owners have to tell me. Other than that, I love the game, I've been here before, I'll keep going.” - Tony Mowbray, Feb 2021

Would a Kean have got away with resetting the clock after nearly four seasons:

I’ve talked about the journey, this club needs rebuilding and four years in, I think we had to restructure and I think we’re 31 games in to being a team that can try and get out of this division by playing a brand of football that allows you to dominate games, a bit like Watford could, like Brentford can do, Swansea can do it, they dominate the ball and look like they can win football matches.

The difference is that the number of Rovers fans prepared to make excuses and put up with the bullshit now make up a larger proportion of the fanbase.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stuart said:

With Rotherham and Wycombe both relegated, Mowbray is now the longest serving manager in the Championship.

Sixth in the EFL 72 overall.

And that’s with relegation on his record, whether he likes it or not, and the two worst runs of form in decades which would have seen him sacked at any other club at this level, let alone one that needed promotion.

Such a shame we ended up with owners so rich, so negligent and so arrogant that they allow themselves to be exploited time and time again.

At this point, comparisons with Kean are fair. Both are unable to deliver on the field, both have divided the fanbase, and both are more than happy to bare-face the fans while talking Venkys coin while watching the team struggle. If rumours are to be believed the players have also seen through him.

We have a huge rebuild ahead, just as we did after Kean has finished overhauling the squad.

I won’t walk away” - Steve Kean, Sept 2012

I don’t want to be a burden on the club, if I’m the problem then that's no problem, the owners have to tell me. Other than that, I love the game, I've been here before, I'll keep going.” - Tony Mowbray, Feb 2021

Would a Kean have got away with resetting the clock after nearly four seasons:

I’ve talked about the journey, this club needs rebuilding and four years in, I think we had to restructure and I think we’re 31 games in to being a team that can try and get out of this division by playing a brand of football that allows you to dominate games, a bit like Watford could, like Brentford can do, Swansea can do it, they dominate the ball and look like they can win football matches.

The difference is that the number of Rovers fans prepared to make excuses and put up with the bullshit now make up a larger proportion of the fanbase.

What are u referring to with the point about the players seeing through him?

16 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I respectfully disagree. Whilst he may not mention being away from his family every week, his overall demeanour is that of someone who finds managing the Club an absolute chore.

When we started playing again after the first lockdown he made it pretty obvious he thought we shouldn't be playing at all and that therefore he wanted paying for doing nothing. At that time when the season started we were in an outside chance of the play offs but tailed off dramatically. Unsurprising given the manager's lack of enthusiasm.

This season he has mentioned being away from his family on several occasions. I don't want him to do anything now as I want him gone but the solution would have been either for him to move them down here or resign. I can't imagine he needs the money and family comes first at the end of the day.

There will be numerous managers out there who would consider managing this Club to be an absolute privilege and who wouldn't talk the Club down at every possible opportunity.

He first started whining and whinging about it during another mid season death spiral a year or two ago. Along with saying how hard work it was and how he struggled with leaving players out after they'd trained hard all week.  

Only ever starts this crap when he comes under scrutiny for poor form, sob story for everything he has. 

• Like 1