BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Personally, I doubt there has even been any discussions. I wouldn't think the owners are really giving Rovers much thought at the moment (even less than they normally do!)

If Mowbray had to put a case forward, how could he possibly defend his position ? He has always said we need to build slowly, continue the journey and develop the team's identity. After 4 years, this has failed miserably, the journey is in reverse and the only player with an identity other than 'bog standard jouneyman' or 'unfulfilled potential' will be leaving very soon.

What can Mowbray possibly do in his one remaining season, with the sqaud he has other than continue to fail. What can he pitch to the owners to convince them he is still the man for the job?

If there were discussions about a new manager next season it just proves that the only people who care for the club are us - the fans. Nobody with any clout within the club gives a rat's arse.

Edited by Crimpshrine
typo
  • Like 8

34 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Tbf, things can change at any time and the final decision is V’s...but as far as I know the feeling is still that there will be a change. The longer it goes the less likely it will happen.

I can tell you summat, IF they stay on, then they’ve pulled a blinder because no one within the group thought they would! 🙈

I agree he has played a blinder Mowbray if he stays on next season

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Surely not...Mani and Rev have sorted it.  They've been speaking to people who are close to the situation.

Ouch!, bit harsh, how often do I post what you could class "inside information?" Furthermore I am not "an ITK" nor have I ever claimed to be.

Bit of an odd one this, I still haven't given up all hope that something will happen this month but as Paul Mani says the longer it goes on the less likely it is it will happen.

It does seem though that at least three different people heard basically the same thing from three separate and seemingly entirely credible sources. 

What are the chances of that if there was nothing in it in the first place?

It would be entirely typical of the confused decision making at the Club that the Rovers Trust highlighted if a certain course of action had been decided on and then the Coventrio had managed to talk their way out of it on the basis of results in a couple of dead rubbers.

Irrespective of all of the above, even if there was never anything in it, (which I don't agree with) tomorrow is always another day and that doesn't preclude a change of heart if a particular point of view or set of facts suddenly resonates with the owners.

So I won't be letting up with efforts to see off the Coventrio.

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

the same as any other club they talked about it and changed their mind what else are you expecting to hear?. Maybe they took the line of stability in the middle of a rebuild

I hope we aren’t in the middle of it, as another 10 years, will just about see me off. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Tweets from RS for those not on twitter (apologies if i've missed the specific one DeeCee mentions)

These tweets are in response to fan's questions. Questions paraphrased below, Sharpe answers in bold:-

Is TM staying? 

TM retains the backing of the owners who agree with him about the unique nature of the season. Everything in place for the summer, budget and retained list sorted, which all points to him being entrusted to take the club forward.

Prediction for next season?

see what the summer brings, but I don't think there will be the same level of expectation. Consistency remains the biggest issue, and they might not have the services of a 28-goal striker and only managed 15th with him. So it will need greater contributions across the board.

What excuses have Venky's swallowed for this season?

schedule, lack of pre-season, preparation, Covid absences etc. That isn’t my take btw, just relaying what the viewpoint is within the club.

Not wanting to shoot the messenger but if true that would be absolutely insane.

Who gives an employee at work lower standards and expectations because they've already made a colossal mess of things?

That would be bizarre and erratic even by Venky's previous standards. Not sure if I believe any of that at all.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Not wanting to shoot the messenger but if true that would be absolutely insane.

Who gives an employee at work lower standards and expectations because they've already made a colossal mess of things?

That would be bizarre and erratic even by Venky's previous standards. Not sure if I believe any of that at all.

I do. The narrative is clear. Comments made by Mowbray recently about setting expectations and driving ambition last summer have been instructive. He's basically been saying that the only reason top 6 was talked about was because HE set the ambition. The fact we couldn't meet his target was not his fault, all he was guilty of was being over-ambitious. Sharpe recently said similar. The goalposts have been shifted.

Honest Tony knows exactly what he's doing.

What the Coventrio had to do in the last few weeks was convince the owners that last seasons failure was due to Covid, pitch, injuries etc.....basically all the excuses he's been trotting out since January. They've seemingly succeeded. 

The narrative for the rest of the summer will be to get back to Ewood and get behind the young academy lads, they need our support as they develop, not to put too much pressure on them and get behind the lads etc etc.  It's a new journey now. There'll be no talk of promotion, just plucky young Academy lads trying to mix it with the millionaires who've come down from the Prem, just honest Tony developing 'assets' and 'good humans'.

Remember, results don't matter. 

It's all there Rev. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 2

The current Rovers managers job has to be the best in football. At what other club does a manager get to set his own expectations and then when he misses them get's his bosses on board with downgrading them. At what other club does a manager have no pressure to get results and is able to have an attitude of not caring where he finishes in the table. At what other club does the manager get to appoint his own mate as his CEO.

• Like 9

Big news from Ewood. Tony shits in the dark. LET all over it. Sorry boys and girls. Watched them since 63. Never been so deflated. At least with Keano there was a chance to get rid. Tony et al will only leave with the treasures and relegation. Hope Reg and the other plants in the LET are happy. Preferred the third division days in the 70s to this bull

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I do. The narrative is clear. Comments made by Mowbray recently about setting expectations and driving ambition last summer have been instructive. He's basically been saying that the only reason top 6 was talked about was because HE set the ambition. The fact we couldn't meet his target was not his fault, all he was guilty of was being over-ambitious. Sharpe recently said similar. The goalposts have been shifted.

Honest Tony knows exactly what he's doing.

What the Coventrio had to do in the last few weeks was convince the owners that last seasons failure was due to Covid, pitch, injuries etc.....basically all the excuses he's been trotting out since January. They've seemingly succeeded. 

The narrative for the rest of the summer will be to get back to Ewood and get behind the young academy lads, they need our support as they develop, not to put too much pressure on them and get behind the lads etc etc.  It's a new journey now. There'll be no talk of promotion, just plucky young Academy lads trying to mix it with the millionaires who've come down from the Prem, just honest Tony developing 'assets' and 'good humans'.

Remember, results don't matter. 

It's all there Rev. 

I could believe:

"We'll let you off this season due to it's one off nature but next season when the schedule is back to normal and there are no extenuating circumstances we expect a genuine challenge for the top 6".

I don't believe: 

"Because you completely messed up last season we'll write off the coming one as well."

I think Sharpe is making stuff up to fit the ludicrous narrative Mowbray has been peddling in recent weeks.

The next few weeks will tell I suppose. If you're right it doesn't bear thinking about.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, tina said:

Big news from Ewood. Tony shits in the dark. LET all over it. Sorry boys and girls. Watched them since 63. Never been so deflated. At least with Keano there was a chance to get rid. Tony et al will only leave with the treasures and relegation. Hope Reg and the other plants in the LET are happy. Preferred the third division days in the 70s to this bull

Someone needs to start jumping all over Reg and his ilk every time they start spouting shite.

A recent example was his contribution that it was a "minor miracle" we were in the 2nd tier of English football. That needed instantly rubbishing by pointing out we've only spent seven (?) years out of our 146 year history in the third tier. Haven't read that thread so whether someone actually did I don't know.

I'd do it myself but for some reason I can't log into the LT site to comment, it never sends me the confirmatory e-mail to register.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PeteJD13 said:

the same as any other club they talked about it and changed their mind what else are you expecting to hear?. Maybe they took the line of stability in the middle of a rebuild

Or maybe they’re gullible, ignorant fools who believe Mowbray’s guff. 

• Like 1