BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

20 hours ago, DeeCee said:

According to RS on Twitter this morning Mowbray had contact with Venkys and he's staying as they've got lower expectations after last season, ffs

19 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Must be great having a boss that lets you lower their targets and expectations for you years into the role...

14 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If that's true then the club has just lost three season ticket holders.

14 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

‘Season Tickets 2021/2022. We have lower expectations, do you?’

13 hours ago, 47er said:

So if the owners and staff have lower expectations why should fans be expected to pay the same?

Not much is lower than 15th by the way.

8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not wanting to shoot the messenger but if true that would be absolutely insane.

Who gives an employee at work lower standards and expectations because they've already made a colossal mess of things?

That would be bizarre and erratic even by Venky's previous standards. Not sure if I believe any of that at all.

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's literally lowering expectations so much not being relegated would be a good outcome 

What the fuck 

7 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

The current Rovers managers job has to be the best in football. At what other club does a manager get to set his own expectations and then when he misses them get's his bosses on board with downgrading them.

Sorry to quote so many of you, but I think there has been an awful lot of misreading of the tweet (or accepting the paraphrased version which I don't believe to be accurate).

I'm fairly sure that Sharpe is referring to his own, and possibly the fans', expectations, or just all around expectations (his, fans', manager, staff, owners, the bookies, whoever). They ask him what his predictions are for next season, and he answers that he doesn't think expectations will be the same. He doesn't reference the owners at that point, but they're spoken about in the questions either side of that one, which has probably led to the confusion. The fact he first says we will see what the summer brings, suggests to me that the expectations in question depend partly on our summer business. If it were the owners' expectations, those shouldn't change regardless of how cleverly we move, as they'd set a budget in line with a goal and expect that goal met from that budget.

He also only says 'I don't think' in regards to it. He is only speculating, and I don't believe he is talking about the owners (or at least not entirely), so we should probably stop talking as though this is a direct line on the owners' expectations, because it is probably neither of those things.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Sorry to quote so many of you, but I think there has been an awful lot of misreading of the tweet (or accepting the paraphrased version which I don't believe to be accurate).

I'm fairly sure that Sharpe is referring to his own, and possibly the fans', expectations, or just all around expectations (his, fans', manager, staff, owners, the bookies, whoever). They ask him what his predictions are for next season, and he answers that he doesn't think expectations will be the same. He doesn't reference the owners at that point, but they're spoken about in the questions either side of that one, which has probably led to the confusion. The fact he first says we will see what the summer brings, suggests to me that the expectations in question depend partly on our summer business. If it were the owners' expectations, those shouldn't change regardless of how cleverly we move, as they'd set a budget in line with a goal and expect that goal met from that budget.

He also only says 'I don't think' in regards to it. He is only speculating, and I don't believe he is talking about the owners (or at least not entirely), so we should probably stop talking as though this is a direct line on the owners' expectations, because it is probably neither of those things.

Grammatically you may have a point - but I think we all know he is staying. He's never been going anywhere. And I suspect it's not taken much brain power (handy when it comes to Mowbray) to convince Venkys to keep him and the team on this time as they'll have a lot more going on than usual with Covid etc and Rovers will have slipped even further down their priority list. 

Sharpe specifically says, ‘that isn’t my take BTW, just relaying what the viewpoint is within the club’.

Now you could argue he has no inside track to relay, but it is clear he is referring to what he believes are the expectations of the hierarchy, not his.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

Their going to get a surprise on season ticket sales

Makes the job easier for the staff down there the less people turn up. Still get paid and can always blame Covid if the owners take any interest.

35 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Makes the job easier for the staff down there the less people turn up. Still get paid and can always blame Covid if the owners take any interest.

Another cost saving to be presented in isolation - "we've cut matchday expenses again" sounds great 🧐

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I could believe:

"We'll let you off this season due to it's one off nature but next season when the schedule is back to normal and there are no extenuating circumstances we expect a genuine challenge for the top 6".

I don't believe: 

"Because you completely messed up last season we'll write off the coming one as well."

I think Sharpe is making stuff up to fit the ludicrous narrative Mowbray has been peddling in recent weeks.

The next few weeks will tell I suppose. If you're right it doesn't bear thinking about.

I believe that "we did our best to compete but the giants outspent us so there is no point trying anymore"...

Reference parachute payments and big city clubs and job done. They haven't failed miserably - they were up against impossible odds 🤬

• Like 1

On 16/05/2021 at 04:18, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Tweets from RS for those not on twitter (apologies if i've missed the specific one DeeCee mentions)

These tweets are in response to fan's questions. Questions paraphrased below, Sharpe answers in bold:-

Is TM staying? 

TM retains the backing of the owners who agree with him about the unique nature of the season. Everything in place for the summer, budget and retained list sorted, which all points to him being entrusted to take the club forward.

Prediction for next season?

see what the summer brings, but I don't think there will be the same level of expectation. Consistency remains the biggest issue, and they might not have the services of a 28-goal striker and only managed 15th with him. So it will need greater contributions across the board.

What excuses have Venky's swallowed for this season?

schedule, lack of pre-season, preparation, Covid absences etc. That isn’t my take btw, just relaying what the viewpoint is within the club.

How utterly depressing.

8 hours ago, bluebruce said:

That's a waste of nasal evolution. The rest of us can smell his bullshit from miles away.

Evolution not revolution remember !

That's Tony mantra which the groupies are still clinging to - lets see what we've spent the last 3 years evolving into next season..........

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

@Revidge Blue @Mercer

Would you both say your info was incorrect at this point? Have ye heard anything further? 

Some six weeks ago after the Bournemouth defeat, I would have put big, big money on Mowbray being the next Championship manager to leave if there'd been a market.  I also think for some time after that defeat, Mowbray half expected to be sacked - IMO, his behaviour and demeanour told a story.

I think a new, and recent, surrealism has pervaded the club.  I don't think we have been a 'normal' football club since ownership changed and I think recently we have deviated even further away from the 'norm'.

I think there will be big changes at the club this summer and I would rule nothing out.  I will only put my head above the parapet about specifics if I think there is a high degree of certainty it will happen.

@oldjamfan1and @Paul Maniwhat's your take on the situation.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

Some six weeks ago after the Bournemouth defeat, I would have put big, big money on Mowbray being the next Championship manager to leave if there'd been a market.  I also think for some time after that defeat, Mowbray half expected to be sacked - IMO, his behaviour and demeanour told a story.

I think a new, and recent, surrealism has pervaded the club.  I don't think we have been a 'normal' football club since ownership changed and I think recently we have deviated even further away from the 'norm'.

I think there will be big changes at the club this summer and I would rule nothing out.  I will only put my head above the parapet about specifics if I think there is a high degree of certainty it will happen.

Based off what you heard? 

I mean logically he should have been, but it seems that's all people were hearing. Was what should logically happen, as opposed to any kind of info from those who make decisions at the club. So speculation basically. 

8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

As I've posted before, my take on it is that they (Pasha, not Waggott) had someone lined up to take over but it fell through. Many people within the club were convinced that change was afoot. The taps definitely got switched off in April so I still think something is going to happen. But I agree that the longer we hear nowt, the less likely it is that TM will be gone before the start of the new season. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

As I've posted before, my take on it is that they (Pasha, not Waggott) had someone lined up to take over but it fell through. Many people within the club were convinced that change was afoot. The taps definitely got switched off in April so I still think something is going to happen. But I agree that the longer we hear nowt, the less likely it is that TM will be gone before the start of the new season. 

That doesn't make sense. So they realised we needed a change, but when that one person fell through, they decided not to do it? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

I’m not privy to whatever chicanery was or wasn’t going on within the club at April time, but for me If he was going to go prior to the new season he would’ve gone already.

A panicked sacking Bowyer/Coyle style when in the bottom 3 next term is most likely now (or he signs a new deal).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That doesn't make sense. So they realised we needed a change, but when that one person fell through, they decided not to do it? 

It makes perfect sense actually, in La La Land. As someone else has posted, it would be just like the Vs to sack Mowbray two days before the start of the new season.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think it does make sense. There is not a lot of managers out there who are of the calibre we require and will come?

Perhaps they are waiting patiently for that manager to come along, and are not just willing to fire and hire. TM is not my option, but he is over a panic manager signing like Pulis.

Begs the question, if it's true, who was the manager and what calibre of manager are they looking for?

Another interesting aspect of this summer will be recruitment. I've said before I don't think TM is in charge of that and proof will be in the pudding if we see Pickering/Kaminski type signings as opposed to Ayala/Douglas.

If that was the case, would add up to the theory that TM is only here whilst they source a high calibre replacement.

This is all guesswork based on what gets posted on here sometimes so don't take this as someone who does not want TM gone. But I can see the value in keeping him until they get the right appointment.

• Like 1