BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

I haven't been on here much lately, but I came to look for anything from Darren Rover, but found nothing recent.

I am hoping the silence is merely because he and his colleagues are working quietly and carefully behind the scenes, but it also struck me that he could be serving a ban. You never know!

I know things do get heated on here in a context where there is so much reasonable anger and disappointment, but I hope Darren Rover will be posting either some genuine progress or a definitive message that Venky's won't listen/are ignoring the approach.

Amidst all the keyboard arguments, I certainly did not dismiss Darren Rover's message and what I interpreted as a very real plan afoot. Far from it. Actually, it gave me some hope for the first time in ages.

Does anyone know anything? I would be hoping for us to hear something -anything-by mid/end June. If he is serving a ban, maybe, his exile will be over by then? 

If the approach is dismissed/blocked/ignored, I need to know, so that I can decide what to do about the prospect of another decade of nothingness and "waiting for Wagot"...( sorry no circumflex on my keyboard!)

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

As I've posted before, my take on it is that they (Pasha, not Waggott) had someone lined up to take over but it fell through. Many people within the club were convinced that change was afoot. The taps definitely got switched off in April so I still think something is going to happen. But I agree that the longer we hear nowt, the less likely it is that TM will be gone before the start of the new season. 

I have previously posted this - I understand it was Wilder but he thought there would be bigger fish in the sea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Evolution not revolution remember !

That's Tony mantra which the groupies are still clinging to - lets see what we've spent the last 3 years evolving into next season..........

That was last season

Stagnation not evolution is this seasons mantra

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

That was last season

Stagnation not evolution is this seasons mantra

My mantra will be to take 15 eggs from LIDL every home game and to leave with none.  One match I hope to get 15 out of 15, we will see...

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

I have previously posted this - I understand it was Wilder but he thought there would be bigger fish in the sea.

Didn't someone else suggest it was Howe? 

I reckon we'd have had half a chance for Wilder under normal owners.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Based off what you heard? 

I mean logically he should have been, but it seems that's all people were hearing. Was what should logically happen, as opposed to any kind of info from those who make decisions at the club. So speculation basically. 

Yes.

17 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Didn't someone else suggest it was Howe? 

I reckon we'd have had half a chance for Wilder under normal owners.

With a Jack Walker style owner, we might have had a chance for Howe.

With our current owners, IMO, not a snowball's chance in hell.

I think Howe is waiting for the 'right job', preferably PL but he does have Celtic in reserve!  A spell at Celtic did Rodgers no harm. 

I understand Wilder ticked the boxes - track record of promotions and ability to work, as demonstrated with SU, within Rovers' financial framework. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

@Revidge Blue @Mercer

Would you both say your info was incorrect at this point? Have ye heard anything further? 

All I can say is that as at mid April it was apparently common knowledge amongst the players that Mowbray would be being replaced but not until the end of the season.

They were certainly playing like it and that was quite a risky strategy at the time given the run we were in the middle of but seemingly the aim was to allow Mowbray a reasonably dignified exit.

Whether something subsequently changed to scupper that plan I don't know. If a particular manager was being targeted but subsequently ducked out I'd hope the overall plan is still in place once a different target can be identified. 

I don't think we're quite past the stage where my original scenario can be completely ruled out but admittedly we seem to be getting pretty close to it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ulrich said:

My mantra will be to take 15 eggs from LIDL every home game and to leave with none.  One match I hope to get 15 out of 15, we will see...

I'm right with you but only if you hard boil then first.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I am hoping the silence is merely because he and his colleagues are working quietly and carefully behind the scenes, but it also struck me that he could be serving a ban. You never know!

Both of these things are true mate 😉

22 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Nothing will work here until they have a proper locally based board of directors. Containing people with the clubs best interests at heart not their own, their mates or any 3rd party influences or hurting the owners feelings if they feel something isn't right.

It's is as plain and simple as that really.

We've had agents, managers, bit part ten bob shelf sellers and nobodies. Non of it has worked, not one bit apart from Mowbrays brief grasping of it in league 1.

Until they finally come to terms with that their money will continue to be wasted. 

Makes you really want to buy a season ticket don’t it. 😕

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bringdunnback said:

I think it does make sense. There is not a lot of managers out there who are of the calibre we require and will come?

Perhaps they are waiting patiently for that manager to come along, and are not just willing to fire and hire. TM is not my option, but he is over a panic manager signing like Pulis.

Begs the question, if it's true, who was the manager and what calibre of manager are they looking for?

Another interesting aspect of this summer will be recruitment. I've said before I don't think TM is in charge of that and proof will be in the pudding if we see Pickering/Kaminski type signings as opposed to Ayala/Douglas.

If that was the case, would add up to the theory that TM is only here whilst they source a high calibre replacement.

This is all guesswork based on what gets posted on here sometimes so don't take this as someone who does not want TM gone. But I can see the value in keeping him until they get the right appointment.

Well hopefully. I mean I would hold some glimmer of hope of thats something that could potentially happen if they had made one logical managerial appointment in their entire time owning the club. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mercer said:

Some six weeks ago after the Bournemouth defeat, I would have put big, big money on Mowbray being the next Championship manager to leave if there'd been a market.  I also think for some time after that defeat, Mowbray half expected to be sacked - IMO, his behaviour and demeanour told a story.

I think a new, and recent, surrealism has pervaded the club.  I don't think we have been a 'normal' football club since ownership changed and I think recently we have deviated even further away from the 'norm'.

I think there will be big changes at the club this summer and I would rule nothing out.  I will only put my head above the parapet about specifics if I think there is a high degree of certainty it will happen.

@oldjamfan1and @Paul Maniwhat's your take on the situation.

Mine wasn’t as clear as that @Mercer...around 4weeks ago I know they put a freeze on expenditure (staff appointments etc) and the reasoning was that a change was expected and the manager they had lined up was already in a job. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

All I can say is that as at mid April it was apparently common knowledge amongst the players that Mowbray would be being replaced but not until the end of the season.

They were certainly playing like it and that was quite a risky strategy at the time given the run we were in the middle of but seemingly the aim was to allow Mowbray a reasonably dignified exit.

Whether something subsequently changed to scupper that plan I don't know. If a particular manager was being targeted but subsequently ducked out I'd hope the overall plan is still in place once a different target can be identified. 

I don't think we're quite past the stage where my original scenario can be completely ruled out but admittedly we seem to be getting pretty close to it.

I do wonder if the players just assumed like the rest of us that he was going to be sacked. As it's what would have happened at 99% of professional clubs on the run we were on. 

I'm not buying U-turn. I think the plan has always been to let him see out his contract. 

If it's waiting for a good candidate, I don't understand why they would keep him around now. It's pointless

Looks like he is staying 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well hopefully. I mean I would hold some glimmer of hope of thats something that could potentially happen if they had made one logical managerial appointment in their entire time owning the club. 

Theoretically Lambert looked a cracking appointment when he got the gig.

He turned out to be an absolute disaster imo (I know opinions on him vary) but we weren't to know that at the time.

Extremely strong back room team as well. Irvine and Kelly was it.

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I do wonder if the players just assumed like the rest of us that he was going to be sacked. As it's what would have happened at 99% of professional clubs on the run we were on. 

I'm not buying U-turn. I think the plan has always been to let him see out his contract. 

If it's waiting for a good candidate, I don't understand why they would keep him around now. It's pointless

Looks like he is staying 

It's entirely up to you whether you don't buy stories of a U turn, no-one can be 100% sure the information they are relaying is correct.

However, if a u turn has occurred this sort of thing has seemingly happened before, no-one seems to dispute that Warnock was more or less signed, sealed and delivered at one point and the next minute Coyle was unveiled.

If a U turn has occurred here as well I fear it will have similarly disastrous consequences to the Coyle situation.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

So, is that a complete rejection or a comeback in mid July if I am still free ???

What about the ex Preston manager Alex Neil ? , I  thought that one had legs..

But the modern BRFC don't select the best man for the job... To many people with their noses in the trough , unfortunately .

• Like 3

If a u-turn has come about through an inability to get their choice, then without a shadow of a doubt Mowbray would have known.

To continue in the post in those circumstances is not the "honourable" thing to do.

Personally the taps may  have been turned off as more pressing humanitarian needs in India take precedent.

Armstrong sale will keep us afloat for a short time.

Cannot understand any logical reason to delay any presumed major changes as anticipated by some on here.

However to presume logic in the case of BRFC is somewhat optimistic.