BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Kean, Berg, Appleton, Bowyer, Lambert, Coyle, Mowbray

Really is Roy Keane any worse than any of those ?  He might be no better than a couple of them but that's our market.

Like i said earlier i think at various points in the last 10 years he'd have been a good shout.  Right now though probably not as there could be another Ipswich scenario about to unfold here.

Give a guy like him a decent squad though and a little bit of room for maneuver like Mowbray has had the last 3 seasons and he might surprise a few. Being a venky/pasha/agent yes man though would always be a sticking point. 

I'd love to be a fly on the wall though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Take him all day. Been saying for a while I feel it would be a good fit for both sides at this point. 

Under our owners though, unlikely 

Keane isnt a manager material. Better off stayingfb0as pundit 

Edited by chaddyrovers

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Keane isnt a manager material. Better off stayingfb0as pundit 

People can learn and evolve. He seems to have mellowed a lot to me and the respect he would command and the expectations he would set would be second to none. 

Would you prefer to keep Mowbray if given a choice between the 2? 

18 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Being a good pundit and a good manager are different skillsets.

Good pundit, world class player and a phenomenal leader. Plus he has won as much as Mowbray as a manager.  I feel he still has time to get going at the management again and I just think it's a good fit. He won't go back into it below championship level I don't think. 

Having said that, he could come in and be gone very quickly. I doubt he would work for Venkys anyway 

14 hours ago, DE. said:

Can't imagine Tony's collection of soft lads lasting very long under Keane. He'd need to be allowed to buy an entire new squad.

It would be interesting to see who would be out the door. I think he would like a fit Dack. Would probably get more out of Lenihan. Kaminski would be fine, Nyambe too. After that it's hard to know. 

On that list I'm going off the assumption that Armstrong won't play for us again 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Good pundit, world class player and a phenomenal leader. Plus he has won as much as Mowbray as a manager.  I feel he still has time to get going at the management again and I just think it's a good fit. He won't go back into it below championship level I don't think. 

Having said that, he could come in and be gone very quickly. I doubt he would work for Venkys anyway 

Agree with the first 3, the first 2 are totally irrelevant and the third doesnt necessarily equate to being a good manager.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

People can learn and evolve. He seems to have mellowed a lot to me and the respect he would command and the expectations he would set would be second to none. 

Would you prefer to keep Mowbray if given a choice between the 2? 

Keane hasn't been a manager for over 10 years and want the Celtic job this summer and he couldn't get that job. They are reasons why Keane hasn't been manager for the massive length of time. 

Yes Mowbray over Keane. But I still want a manager change tho and Mowbray to be replace just not be Keane who I deffo wouldn't want. Much better candidates out there more suited to the job

On 21/06/2021 at 19:21, roversfan99 said:

An interview that doesnt reflect well on how the club is run at home nor the manager. We know that the club is not all on the same page from the owners down. Downing was offered a deal towards the end of the season before last, which was then revoked. We then only went back to him after covid and injury issues, and he was kept in the dark as to why he wasnt playing, and was further aggravating by the rotation of subs rather than subs being picked on merit.

Agree it shows the Club is an absolute shambles under Mowbray/Waggott but no sympathy whatsoever for Downing.

He was made an offer which at the time he didn't respond to thinking he could get a better offer therefore, unsurprisingly, we looked elsewhere.

He then came back here completely voluntarily knowing the original offer had been taken off the table. No-one forced him to come and what was the reason he ended up back here at that late stage anyway?. Answer: No-one else wanted him.

If anything Downing should be grateful that Mowbray was willing to play the old pals act and waste yet more of the owners money paying him to sit around and do nothing for another year.

From our point of view the disgrace that he was even offered any terms in the first place and even more so when the two parties limped cap in hand up to each other at a later date.

What will determine the expectation for Blackburn Rovers? | Lancashire Telegraph

“At the end of the day everything is about expectation,” he said. “If you’ve got a talented young team who need to grow, the expectation should be less than if you’ve spent £100m.”

Mowbray's negativity begins again in earnest. Getting his excuses in before a ball is kicked. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Agree it shows the Club is an absolute shambles under Mowbray/Waggott but no sympathy whatsoever for Downing.

He was made an offer which at the time he didn't respond to thinking he could get a better offer therefore, unsurprisingly, we looked elsewhere.

He then came back here completely voluntarily knowing the original offer had been taken off the table. No-one forced him to come and what was the reason he ended up back here at that late stage anyway?. Answer: No-one else wanted him.

If anything Downing should be grateful that Mowbray was willing to play the old pals act and waste yet more of the owners money paying him to sit around and do nothing for another year.

From our point of view the disgrace that he was even offered any terms in the first place and even more so when the two parties limped cap in hand up to each other at a later date.

Downing said that he "agreed a contract pretty much straight away" after the previous season and was only told at the start of pre-season that the previously agreed contract had been removed. I know that you aren't Downing's biggest fan but I am not sure how you have dreamt up this scenario that Downing was using us to get a better deal elsewhere.

We know what Venkys are like and to be honest it sounds like theyve pulled the rug from under Mowbray prior to concluding the deal, by moving the financial goalposts. 

Downing was excellent in his first season, but he had to be signed straight away if at all. There is no way especially at his age that he should have been made to wait until November, any player by that time would have struggled to get going.

The main issues that show Mowbray up are seemingly his terrible man management skills. To not communicate with Downing either as soon as the deal was revoked, or indeed when he was wondering why he was on and off the bench, never starting is really poor. Plus his attempts at presumably trying to keep everyone happy by rotating the bench seemingly are doing nothing of the sort.

• Like 2

That wasn't my recollection of what happened, my recollection was that he had an offer on the table for a considerable time which he didn't accept.

However even if Downing is right and a deal had been agreed by both parties  in principle then that didn't stop him getting fixed up elsewhere when nothing happened- if someone else had wanted him that is.

Irrespective of that, even if you accept he was messed about, he still came back KNOWING he'd been messed about so I'm not sure why he's complaining about it now. What did he expect he was going to be other than occasional back up?

Nothing against the player per se, he was excellent in the first half of his first season here but his form dipped considerably in the second half of the season so it looked probable he'd "gone" even then.

We should never even have considered offering him an extended deal but as you rightly pointed out on the summer transfer thread we make a habit of offering deals to players who are either past it or who weren't up to it in the first place.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

What will determine the expectation for Blackburn Rovers? | Lancashire Telegraph

“At the end of the day everything is about expectation,” he said. “If you’ve got a talented young team who need to grow, the expectation should be less than if you’ve spent £100m.”

Mowbray's negativity begins again in earnest. Getting his excuses in before a ball is kicked. 

What happened to the vibrant young team playing on the front foot he was building a couple of summers ago ?

This guy just says the first thing that suits the moment when there's an interviewer in front of him.

Of course the expectation will be less, it won't be less on the 12 million boys nor any other good player we have. Nor should it be !

As for him anybody expecting him to deliver anything above 11th ever needs to lower them.

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

What happened to the vibrant young team playing on the front foot he was building a couple of summers ago ?

This guy just says the first thing that suits the moment when there's an interviewer in front of him.

Of course the expectation will be less, it won't be less on the 12 million boys nor any other good player we have. Nor should it be !

As for him anybody expecting him to deliver anything above 11th ever needs to lower them.

And Sharpe just gives him a free pass. I swear he could say that black is white and it would go unchallenged. The absolute nerve of Mowbray to still be spouting the same old crap. I guess the Facebook cult will still swallow it whole.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, martonrover said:

And Sharpe just gives him a free pass. I swear he could say that black is white and it would go unchallenged. The absolute nerve of Mowbray to still be spouting the same old crap. I guess the Facebook cult will still swallow it whole.

I'm sure according to Mowbray, we had a young developing team two years ago.

Is he the first person in the history of the world to have managed to halt the ageing process? He's wasted in football if he has.

You're right about Sharpe as well. Waste of time reading anything he writes.

Mouthpiece for the Club trying to explain away everything Mowbray says in a way that makes it sound reasonable as opposed to the total bollux it actually is.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, martonrover said:

He had a nibble at him last season and clearly got the manager rattled. Wouldn't be surprised if there was an off the record strop by the club.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

He had a nibble at him last season and clearly got the manager rattled. Wouldn't be surprised if there was an off the record strop by the club.

Think even Sharpe thought Mowbray was going for a short time last season so he got very brave and briefly peeked his nose above the parapet for a few days before quickly running back inside again.

• Like 1