BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

2 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Has he been sacked?

I have quite clearly said that I am well aware that Venkys do not have the interest or the competence to sack managers based fairly on performance.

You have concluded from his quotes that he is purposely gloating or "giving the middle finger" to the fans by talking nonsense, that is not proven to be true just because he hasnt been sacked.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I have quite clearly said that I am well aware that Venkys do not have the interest or the competence to sack managers based fairly on performance.

You have concluded from his quotes that he is purposely gloating or "giving the middle finger" to the fans by talking nonsense, that is not proven to be true just because he hasnt been sacked.

And it isn't proven that he's doing it to cover his own incompetence, as you have stated.  All we know is that he is the first manager in the history of BRFC, and possibly the history of professional football, to state he isn't a 'result-based' manager. That during one of the worst runs in the clubs history. Strange coincidence, especially as he has another 10 excuses he could have just as easily used, and often has....injuries, pitch, ref, money etc.

And Venky's have sacked a lot of managers based on performance. So that part of your post is utter nonsense. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

3 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

And it isn't proven that he's doing it to cover his own incompetence, as you have stated.  All we know is that he is the first manager in the history of BRFC, and possibly the history of professional football, to state he isn't a 'result-based' manager. That during one of the worst runs in the clubs history. Strange coincidence, especially as he has another 10 excuses he could have just as easily used, and often has....injuries, pitch, ref, money etc.

And Venky's have sacked a lot of managers based on performance. So that part of your post is utter nonsense. 

My point was that neither of us know for sure if he is gloating or just talking nonsense. I specifically said that the only person who knows for sure either way is Mowbray himself, all we can do is try and interpret.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-mowbray-future-results-20325498

He is clearly aware that the results are not good enough and the fans were become more and more discontent. He specifically said that ""I'm also a realist and I understand that I live in a results-driven business. I'm not hiding from it. I work hard everyday and I understand the consequences of not winning football matches but that is never not my decision."

In another interview, he said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19131704.tony-mowbray-the-bigger-picture-fan-frustrations/

“As you could see, we’re trying to be a possession-based team and when we get it right, we will be at the top of this league at some stage."

I personally believe, and like yourself, I am aware that it is simply my own interpretation, that based on the constant stream of excuses that you touched upon that he repeats ad nauseum, that he is not gloating and more pleading for more time and patience, especially with the fans. To me, that falls on deaf ears because I judge on what I see and we are going backwards, not forwards. I don't doubt that he is trying his best, but his best is in my opinion nowhere near good enough. He has a theory on how to improve which I think is inherently flawed and further hindered by his poor and ill fitting recruitment.

• Like 1

My point was that neither of us know for sure if he is gloating or just talking nonsense. I specifically said that the only person who knows for sure either way is Mowbray himself, all we can do is try and interpret.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-mowbray-future-results-20325498

He is clearly aware that the results are not good enough and the fans were become more and more discontent. He specifically said that ""I'm also a realist and I understand that I live in a results-driven business. I'm not hiding from it. I work hard everyday and I understand the consequences of not winning football matches but that is never not my decision."

In another interview, he said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19131704.tony-mowbray-the-bigger-picture-fan-frustrations/

“As you could see, we’re trying to be a possession-based team and when we get it right, we will be at the top of this league at some stage."

I personally believe, and like yourself, I am aware that it is simply my own interpretation, that based on the constant stream of excuses that you touched upon that he repeats ad nauseum, that he is not gloating and more pleading for more time and patience, especially with the fans. To me, that falls on deaf ears because I judge on what I see and we are going backwards, not forwards. I don't doubt that he is trying his best, but his best is in my opinion nowhere near good enough. He has a theory on how to improve which I think is inherently flawed and further hindered by his poor and ill fitting recruitment.

Those quotes came after he originally said it iirc. Maybe someone had had a word?  And he flip-flops form week to week anyway. The fact is he said it. My interpretation is different to yours.

Anyway, you asked for a reason, you got one. If you think he's still in a job on merit, and that it's acceptable that he should think he shouldn't be judged on results, then good for you. If those quotes don't make you angry, given the results he was getting when it was said, then you are obviously Zen. 

But back to your assertion that he's still in a job because Venky's aren't capable of sacking him. That's clearly bullshit. The question is therefore, why is he still in a job? Who would be fighting his corner and recommending he should be kept on? He must have support from influential people because he clearly isn't doing the business on the pitch. And if he knows he has their support is it beyond the realms of possibility that he knows he's unsackable and can therefore say whatever he wants?

9 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Those quotes came after he originally said it iirc. Maybe someone had had a word?  And he flip-flops form week to week anyway. The fact is he said it. My interpretation is different to yours.

Anyway, you asked for a reason, you got one. If you think he's still in a job on merit, and that it's acceptable that he should think he shouldn't be judged on results, then good for you. If those quotes don't make you angry, given the results he was getting when it was said, then you are obviously Zen. 

But back to your assertion that he's still in a job because Venky's aren't capable of sacking him. That's clearly bullshit. The question is therefore, why is he still in a job? Who would be fighting his corner and recommending he should be kept on? He must have support from influential people because he clearly isn't doing the business on the pitch. And if he knows he has their support is it beyond the realms of possibility that he knows he's unsackable and can therefore say whatever he wants?

I have long since given up trying to understand Venkys, nothing that they do is consistent or indeed logical. Maybe they do trust him like they apparently did with Bowyer, two managers who steadied things initially but outstayed their welcome, maybe they are busy worrying about the pandemic, whatever their excuse, it isnt good enough.

I can't disprove what you are saying either, nor do I want to appear to be totally relaxed about the situation. I personally think that your conclusion regarding his interviews is a little far fetched, whereas presumably you think that I am naive. I dont like the fact that Mowbray is at the club and havent for a while, but his interviews isnt where my frustration peaks. When we have just lost another game, when I look at the table and see us languishing, when he names a bizarre team selection, when we yet again fail to score in the first half, things like that provoke me more. 

I have long since given up trying to understand Venkys, nothing that they do is consistent or indeed logical. Maybe they do trust him like they apparently did with Bowyer, two managers who steadied things initially but outstayed their welcome, maybe they are busy worrying about the pandemic, whatever their excuse, it isnt good enough.

I can't disprove what you are saying either, nor do I want to appear to be totally relaxed about the situation. I personally think that your conclusion regarding his interviews is a little far fetched, whereas presumably you think that I am naive. I dont like the fact that Mowbray is at the club and havent for a while, but his interviews isnt where my frustration peaks. When we have just lost another game, when I look at the table and see us languishing, when he names a bizarre team selection, when we yet again fail to score in the first half, things like that provoke me more. 

You didn't answer any of the questions:-

The question is therefore, why is he still in a job? Who would be fighting his corner and recommending he should be kept on? He must have support from influential people because he clearly isn't doing the business on the pitch. And if he knows he has their support is it beyond the realms of possibility that he knows he's unsackable and can therefore say whatever he wants?

9 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

You didn't answer any of the questions:-

The question is therefore, why is he still in a job? Who would be fighting his corner and recommending he should be kept on? He must have support from influential people because he clearly isn't doing the business on the pitch. And if he knows he has their support is it beyond the realms of possibility that he knows he's unsackable and can therefore say whatever he wants?

Why is he still in a job? Literally no idea. At a guess, I suppose that he has earnt Venkys trust as Bowyer did by settling things down initially, which allows them to treat the club as an irrelevance again.

Who would be fighting his corner? Again, no idea. I dont get the impression that Venkys are mulling over his future. If there is anyone specifically fighting his corner, presumably Waggott?

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that he knows he's unsackable and can therefore say whatever he wants? I suppose not no, I just personally dont think or get the impression that he is taunting us. 

But I don't know the answers to be honest. Just speculating like you and everyone else.

54 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why is he still in a job? Literally no idea. At a guess, I suppose that he has earnt Venkys trust as Bowyer did by settling things down initially, which allows them to treat the club as an irrelevance again.

Who would be fighting his corner? Again, no idea. I dont get the impression that Venkys are mulling over his future. If there is anyone specifically fighting his corner, presumably Waggott?

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that he knows he's unsackable and can therefore say whatever he wants? I suppose not no, I just personally dont think or get the impression that he is taunting us. 

But I don't know the answers to be honest. Just speculating like you and everyone else.

Agreed. It's annoying, but he's just a man out of his depth, doing his best, which isn't good enough. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Agreed. It's annoying, but he's just a man out of his depth, doing his best, which isn't good enough. 

I don't think he is doing his best judging by his demeanor on the touchline during games.

But that is just my interpretation/opinion.

I also don't think he is the brightest either, which puts him way out of his depth. Ditto the CEO.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, toogs said:

I don't think he is doing his best judging by his demeanor on the touchline during games.

But that is just my interpretation/opinion.

I also don't think he is the brightest either, which puts him way out of his depth. Ditto the CEO.

That's his way. Do you see a different demeanor at any other time? 

They are out of their depth to bring success to the club, but from their own point of view, they couldn't be anywhere better 

42 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He's 4 years into the job, beyond the point where Bowyer got sacked for average results. And Bowyer never went on a run of 1 win in 15.

43 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Waggott, the man Mowbray recommended to the owners? Mmmm interesting. 

45 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But you said you didn't understand the anger and asked why his comments might be the final straw. I'm just giving you my perspective. All fairly rational wouldn't you say?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's his way. Do you see a different demeanor at any other time? 

They are out of their depth to bring success to the club, but from their own point of view, they couldn't be anywhere better 

To be honest, I think everyone’s broadly in agreement. 

we’re fucked. 

• Like 2

Drove past Ewood today. Nostalgic drive following the route taken many times on the way to matches. (I was going for afternoon tea in Darwen) and found myself wanting to want to be at Rovers games. I wanted to feel excited at the prospect watching my team, but all I felt was enormous sadness. 

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Drove past Ewood today. Nostalgic drive following the route taken many times on the way to matches. (I was going for afternoon tea in Darwen) and found myself wanting to want to be at Rovers games. I wanted to feel excited at the prospect watching my team, but all I felt was enormous sadness. 

I know exactly the way you feel . Went past recently myself and felt cold ….  Afternoon tea in Darwen tho ? Maybe at Astley bank old people’s home ? 

10 hours ago, Ianglasgow said:

I know exactly the way you feel . Went past recently myself and felt cold ….  Afternoon tea in Darwen tho ? Maybe at Astley bank old people’s home ? 

Dolly's tearooms.  Christmas gift from our daughter who knows someone who knows the owner.  It was very good.

12 hours ago, gumboots said:

I felt the same way when I drove past few months ago. Something has been lost over the past decade that I doubt I’ll ever regain. Started by the Venkys, accelerated by Kean, finished off by Mowbray/Swag. 

• Like 7

This is an amazing thread - currently 647 pages, and much of it deeply vitriolic and negative towards Monsieur le Gurn and his nasty pupating sidekick.

Question is, will it get to 1000 pages of similarly disparaging muck-raking before anything happens? I can only speculate what a poor start to the new season might entail, but it is unlikely to be pleasant reading.

Simple for me. Mowbray Out!, Waggot Out!, Gurning cheating liars OUT!

• Like 9

as fans we need to give it large to mowbray next season,everyone in the ground should be barracking him as soon as the opposition figure out his pitiful tactics and score the first goal,we`de had to watch his **** version of football from the telly for a season,i for one am desperate to ewood to give him shedfuls of my considerable ire,**** off back to the north east you ****

• Like 1