BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

10 minutes ago, DE. said:

Amazing how Mowbray always palms these things off onto the senior players. The bloke takes absolutely no responsibility for anything, ever, so you have to question what the point of him being here actually is. The senior players look after their own fitness, apparently, and he's also said he lets the players control the dressing room. He doesn't believe in formations either. So, what exactly is he bringing to the table? 

Lemon drizzle cake i believe...

• Like 2

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

Lemon drizzle cake i believe...

Even that he probably leaves up to his wife.

"If the lemon drizzle wasn't up to standard you'll have to talk to the missus, I let her decide where to buy it from. I don't really believe in supermarkets."

• Like 9

You realise, with 12 months to run on his contract, that the only "signing" being worked on currently is his own 3 year extension (with a raise!).

You know he'll weasel his way into one. 

BUT, let's make sure we don't boo/chant at friendly matches yeah? 👍

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, DE. said:

Amazing how Mowbray always palms these things off onto the senior players. The bloke takes absolutely no responsibility for anything, ever, so you have to question what the point of him being here actually is. The senior players look after their own fitness, apparently, and he's also said he lets the players control the dressing room. He doesn't believe in formations either. So, what exactly is he bringing to the table? 

It struck me that this could be considered a modern management style and can be quite effective IF said manager's strength is being inspirational and motivational...

3 hours ago, DE. said:

Integrity ?

3 hours ago, DE. said:

A new management method.  Don’t bother with a manager and save the money.

God I hope I haven’t given Venky’s an idea.

Seeing the news that Michael Appleton is currently having treatment for testicular cancer has reminded me what a stupid gaff it was to treat him so badly and let him slip through our fingers, sure i admit the timing wasn't right (it wouldn't have been right for any manager that came in during thay period) but it's a shame bridges we're burnt, as he'd easily be top of my list of realistic targets if the calamitous drone Mowbray left(or more ideally got potted finally) 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Seeing the news that Michael Appleton is currently having treatment for testicular cancer has reminded me what a stupid gaff it was to treat him so badly and let him slip through our fingers, sure i admit the timing wasn't right (it wouldn't have been right for any manager that came in during thay period) but it's a shame bridges we're burnt, as he'd easily be top of my list of realistic targets if the calamitous drone Mowbray left(or more ideally got potted finally) 

Sorry to hear about Appleton's medical issues but he was atrocious whilst manager here.

Firstly, of course I very much wish Appleton well in his fight with illness and hope to see a full recovery.

But I find it hard to understand why anyone would have a fond memory of him as a manager here, admittedly there were mitigating circumstances throughout the season but he was very much (a bit like Lambert) a "good talker" but we regressed in his short time in charge, he served up the most drab football of a generally woeful season and that Millwall game will always be remembered for the wrong reasons.

So we are now going to see how he does on his own. The senior dressing room has gone. Armstrong is on his way. There are a group of players who won’t sign new contracts. He’s already trying these are just kids avenue. Gone before Christmas can’t see how he can make this work. Hope I’m wrong and we are in th3 play off spots bu5 we all already know where this is heading 

• Like 2

If Mowbray went it would have to be for a step in the right direction, plenty of options for that.  Not though going over old ground and i think Appleton was suited to a certain type of club at a lower level.

He was never suited to this place really.  Hope he has a successful recovery.

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Sorry to hear about Appleton's medical issues but he was atrocious whilst manager here.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Firstly, of course I very much wish Appleton well in his fight with illness and hope to see a full recovery.

But I find it hard to understand why anyone would have a fond memory of him as a manager here, admittedly there were mitigating circumstances throughout the season but he was very much (a bit like Lambert) a "good talker" but we regressed in his short time in charge, he served up the most drab football of a generally woeful season and that Millwall game will always be remembered for the wrong reasons.

Errrr so I don't believe I said anything about having fond memories of his time here!   As I did say... The timing was wrong no real manager could have come in during that period and done well( hence why we ended up having to just put Bowyer in charge for a couple of years to just keep the ship afloat) and also it wasn't the right time for him as he was still to young and not quite ready for managing a relatively big club.

But from what I've read in interviews the rovers players at the time enjoyed working for him and liked his ideas and since leaving he's gone away and learnt his trade, gained plenty of experience and is now one of the most promising young English managers outside of the premiership.

• Like 1

On 15/07/2021 at 04:49, Boroblue said:

So we are now going to see how he does on his own. The senior dressing room has gone. Armstrong is on his way. There are a group of players who won’t sign new contracts. He’s already trying these are just kids avenue. Gone before Christmas can’t see how he can make this work. Hope I’m wrong and we are in th3 play off spots bu5 we all already know where this is heading 

We are supposed to be on a journey, a gradual journey, a plan that makes us stronger every year till we regain Premiership status and have a football "identity".

As part of that plan we are linked with a 31 year old released on a free from Cardiff City and are likely to lose several of our best younger players who started out on this journey but have now decided to get off the bus.

Can we all agree there is no plan, we simply limp from year to year, without any progression or any defined goal?

We are an amorphous mess and the Emperor has no clothes.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 47er said:

We are supposed to be on a journey, a gradual journey, a plan that makes us stronger every year till we regain Premiership status and have a football "identity".

As part of that plan we are linked with a 31 year old released on a free from Cardiff City and are likely to lose several of our best younger players who started out on this journey but have now decided to get off the bus.

Can we all agree there is no plan, we simply limp from year to year, without any progression or any defined goal?

Cant argue with any of that. But on Joe Bennett, he is a left back of real proven quality, not over the hill at 31, would give us real experience that we sorely lack and would I expect be first choice over Pickering who is obviously yet to prove himself at this level.

Well all that would be true if it wasnt for the fact that he injured his knee ligaments in March and wont be fit for at least a couple of months into the new season which is why Cardiff released him. Signing him would be totally senseless so expect a 3 year deal any day now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 47er said:

i think there was a plan but it`s been derailed because mowbray spent a considerable amount of money on players we did`nt need instead of building from the back,now he`s just completely lost the plot on everything,like a sick dog,he needs putting out of his misery

On 14/07/2021 at 12:13, booth said:

A never has been manager, serial failure, deluded and lazy. Incredible but not surprising he's still there.

Unless things change I wouldn't be surprised to see us in a relegation battle this season, anything else will be blind luck.

If Armstrong goes and we don't replace him, it won't even be a battle unfortunately, we will drop as a rock, relying only on Kaminski miracle games to earn us a few points.

8 minutes ago, Mr. E said:

If Armstrong goes and we don't replace him, it won't even be a battle unfortunately, we will drop as a rock, relying only on Kaminski miracle games to earn us a few points.

I've encountered people who think Brereton will suddenly become a prolific goal machine.

11 hours ago, 47er said:

The only plan since day 1 has been to get himself and his associates into jobs and to stay in them for as long as possible.

They each know that this is as good as it gets for them and after the Coventry City debacle Waggott was picking up 'consultancy' jobs for Southend and Gillingham and Mowbray was unsuccessfully applying for the Chesterfield job.

Can't really blame them for this, despite putting the Club and supporters down with negativity on a regular basis they will know this is a brilliant job to have and nobody can really blame them for trying to stick at it as they won't get another job at this level.

Unfortunately for us we have owners more interested in being told how great they are and ensuring their involvement is the bare minium, meaning they are more interested in doing nothing than rectifying things.

All the talk about journeys and plans was just PR speak and to take some expectation/pressure off his shoulders for a year or two. Those watching our recruitment and over-reliance on loans could see there was no such thing.

• Like 7

• Backroom

Just want to thank Mowbray (and Venkys for starting the process) for this awful milestone.

Today was the first time I've been speaking to my Dad without either of us once mentioning Rovers.

Didn't realise til I got home.

• Like 3