BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

53 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

52,000 people have viewed the tweet.

3,266 engagements

The tweet was a bit embarrassing to be honest, we gained promotion 3yrs ago, a tremendous night in rainy Doncaster, in fact one of the only highlights supporting the club over the past 10yrs.

Yes Mowbray is past his sell by date, but do the maths next time and don't call us Blackburn, we are Rovers.

• Backroom
19 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Been called a bellend and a t*** it's pretty bad right! 

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

The tweet was a bit embarrassing to be honest, we gained promotion 3yrs ago, 

Yeah, maybe timescale a bit out, more like 18 months to 2 years.

But not sure when showing concern for the team for the upcoming season started deserving abuse.

Argue the toss, sure, but just name calling. Nah.

But I suppose that's the toxic nature of Twitter. 

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

The tweet was a bit embarrassing to be honest, we gained promotion 3yrs ago, a tremendous night in rainy Doncaster, in fact one of the only highlights supporting the club over the past 10yrs.

Yes Mowbray is past his sell by date, but do the maths next time and don't call us Blackburn, we are Rovers.

I said 2-3 years ago but you took the 3 to suit your context.

Ah sorry mate - forgot you were a bigger fan than me lol

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I do think that sacking him 3 years ago following promotion was unthinkable and even 2 years ago would have been incredibly harsh.

should have beem given the boot after the 1st season back in the championship,it was pretty clear he was`nt up to it halfway through the season,we were leaking goals because we had two midfielders playing centre back(rodwell and mulgrew)tony then decides to blame the keeper and offloads him,he plays the excellent harrison reed out of position to accomadate corry evans and he spends 12 million quid on two centre forwards when he should have bought two centre backs,we went into games unprepared and were physically found wanting,a worrying sign of the future

• Like 5

There were signs quite early his methods just weren't suited to what we wanted in this league. But stability became the watchword and he'd also landed himself and us with most of the squad that took us down in the first place. Long term over generous contract extensions meant we had to sit it out whilst he talked the talk about rebuilding with a championship squad. For the next chapter, having a rreal go at the top end.

That was 3 years ago and he's totally blown that and the backing he was given for it. Asking him to move along 2 years ago would've been fairly sensible and understandable for any club with a hint of ambition. He's proved very good at talking his way around things though. Setting new goals then quickly moving the posts as if it never happened.

That is why folk are fed up of him, not necessarily the failure but the lack of having a real go. And the complete claptrap of talking his way around it time after time.

Absolutely nothing will change if he stays another 4 years and gets the same backing as the last 4.

Everybody knows it.

• Like 4

• Backroom

This season, during the 2 wins in 17 run, was the first time I can remember so many fans united in agreeing it was time for him to go. For a lot of us at least a year too late, but even the most staunch Mowbray supporters by that point realised it was best for all parties for the relationship to end.

Under any other owners it'd be impossible to explain why Mowbray was still here. With Venky's though, anything is possible, and for our club that is never in a positive sense.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I do think that sacking him 3 years ago following promotion was unthinkable and even 2 years ago would have been incredibly harsh.

I totally agree - he slowly built a squad finally ready to challenge the top 6. Last season was the killer for me - prior to that I think he did a good job and made us more like a proper football club. But last season we massively underachieved - partly down to his management - but his excuses and cliches became tiresome (and that is with a positive spin).

He needs to do what he always said he would - we have stalled, he isn't the man to take us forward, stand aside and let somebody new have a go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

i don't, as soon as he said he wasn't interested in going for the League One title was the time he should have been booted. An ambitious manager would have made sure they went tooth and nail for that knowing the club may not get another chance at a title for a decade.

I'm pretty sure Jack, would have sacked him for not dreaming big and settling for second best at that moment!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I totally agree - he slowly built a squad finally ready to challenge the top 6.

No he never did.  His defence has been shit for years.  Our goals against has always been the same as goals for, except the last season where it deteriorated.  Defenders are coming and all that.

4 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

No he never did.  His defence has been shit for years.  Our goals against has always been the same as goals for, except the last season where it deteriorated.  Defenders are coming and all that.

Wasn't really the goals conceded last season, we only conceded four more than Barnsley in the playoffs. More that we couldn't break teams down in tight games. The Stoke away game being the prime example, our only chances being Armstrong's 28 or so shots from 50 yards out.

Our goals scored column looks great, but it was heavily stacked thanks to some thrashings of down-to-ten-men teams in turmoil. 

On 22/07/2021 at 04:40, K-Hod said:

Yeah, it’s something I’m not keen to see on here tbh. Whilst I do completely get people wanting to have the same enthusiasm at the start of every season, I can’t get there myself. Last season was a really good opportunity that we blew spectacularly and it’s taken the wind out of my sails re the club tbh.

Well said. I think quite a few of us feel like this. I'd had reservations about Mowbray before of course, but last season it seemed like we had a squad to challenge. Even until Christmas it looked like with Dack returning we'd just be getting stronger, maybe even a couple of additions in the January transfer window...

Then it just went off a cliff. One win in 15 with Dack's ACL gone again, players leaving but nobody much coming in yet...all while Blackburn was one the Covid hotspots in the country. Area and club; each have had a shocking 2021!

6 hours ago, phili said:

i don't, as soon as he said he wasn't interested in going for the League One title was the time he should have been booted. An ambitious manager would have made sure they went tooth and nail for that knowing the club may not get another chance at a title for a decade.

I'm pretty sure Jack, would have sacked him for not dreaming big and settling for second best at that moment!

I was never in favour of his recruitment from the scrapheap but that was a watershed moment.

It was quite amazing how much support his inane comments received on here.

Simply a conman and not too bright upstairs..... but he doesn't have to be ....

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Our defence has been shit since Venkys arrived Sparks, this isn't a Mowbray phenomenon alone.

12 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

And that’s all I want, we *actually* didn’t have a pot to piss in through much of the 80s, but it was a club you were so proud to support. They did everything they could to put the most competitive team possible on to the pitch.

In contrast, this present set up is a disgrace from top to bottom.

…this is exactly the reason for my non attendance. I’m not about trophy hunting….I just want a club I can believe in and respect..from upstairs to the pitch. Back in the day you speak of we won very little but there was an honesty …..and the integrity of BRFC mattered to all worked for the club. 

…….we , on the terraces could feel that, we shared it and coped with the ups and many downs…I so wish for that today …even in league 2

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

And that’s all I want, we *actually* didn’t have a pot to piss in through much of the 80s, but it was a club you were so proud to support. They did everything they could to put the most competitive team possible on to the pitch.

In contrast, this present set up is a disgrace from top to bottom.

Too right....the people running Rovers at the time,Bill Fox and all, deserve special praise for how they kept Rovers afloat and even challenging for Promotion as,one by one,all the other local Clubs fell in the lower leagues.

The people running the club REALLY have a damn back then.