BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

No he never did.  His defence has been shit for years.  Our goals against has always been the same as goals for, except the last season where it deteriorated.  Defenders are coming and all that.

I thought by chance we ended up with a half decent defence - possibly other than left back (even Douglas looked on paper like a good loan at first). We were unlucky with injuries (especially Wharton).

But, after collating what should have been a top 6 challenging team - he couldn't get the results.

I also think defending isn't just about the defence - but about the team as a whole. 

So we possibly agree (of sorts) - but for me I would give him time to build - but last season IMO all the pieces were there.

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm
Wording

17 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

The team in general has been but that's because Venkys have just hired a string of poor managers over the last 10 years.

I don't want to start the old debate "Stick with the manager we've got because they can't appoint anyone better" but it is a very real concern for me with the dross thats available currently and our track record of appointing rubbish. 

I'm of the opinion nobody will gain Premiership promotion at the current Blackburn Rovers because the clubs a basket case and off the pitch is worse than on in my opinion. The one thing that the current manager and a new manager could easily do is relegate the club, thats a very real possibility.

I loved the league one season, I don't mind admitting it, but I don't want to go there again, as I fear we won't come back this time around.

• Like 1

I’ve been in the sauna this morning with someone who’s very friendly with a senior coach at Rovers. Venus is countermanding Mowbray on tactics. Mowbray doesn’t have the balls to sort him out or fire him. Tough centre half my bollocks.

58 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

I’ve been in the sauna this morning with someone who’s very friendly with a senior coach at Rovers. Venus is countermanding Mowbray on tactics. Mowbray doesn’t have the balls to sort him out or fire him. Tough centre half my bollocks.

The manager and assistant manager don't agree on how we should play?

This is going to end really well, I'm sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnGo said:

Danny Graham told us similar last year.

Disagreements are common but if there is clear daylight all the time then just how can the team be settled. 

Needs everyone pulling in the same direction but we know Mowbray's loyalty first approach and anything for a quiet life.  He did seem to be the one pushing the possession tactics though.

14 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

The manager and assistant manager don't agree on how we should play?

This is going to end really well, I'm sure.

A different opinion on how to do things can be healthy, providing it's constructive and the manager and assistant are both competent, eg Clough and Taylor.

Unfortunately, we have dumb and dumber.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Danny Graham told us similar last year.

Disagreements are common but if there is clear daylight all the time then just how can the team be settled. 

Needs everyone pulling in the same direction but we know Mowbray's loyalty first approach and anything for a quiet life.  He did seem to be the one pushing the possession tactics though.

What did Danny say?

1 hour ago, martonrover said:

A different opinion on how to do things can be healthy, providing it's constructive and the manager and assistant are both competent, eg Clough and Taylor.

Unfortunately, we have dumb and dumber.

From what the coach was saying it was not healthy. The players are confused as to what is expected from them. Possession is not Mowbrays style it IS Venus’s. Mowbray in training wants a more direct style like we played in the promotion. This makes his utterances even more confusing. Who’s the real power in the club? Not Mowbray from my understanding.

9 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

From what the coach was saying it was not healthy. The players are confused as to what is expected from them. Possession is not Mowbrays style it IS Venus’s. Mowbray in training wants a more direct style like we played in the promotion. This makes his utterances even more confusing. Who’s the real power in the club? Not Mowbray from my understanding.

Mowbray has literally lauded this approach, so don't get how it's not his style? 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, DE. said:

I was under the impression it was the opposite way around, that Venus preferred the more direct style and Mowbray was more into tippy-tappy, possession-based football. 

That's what I thought.

How many senior coaches do we actually have ?

As far as i'm concerned Mowbray implements the style of play and if not there is something very odd going on.

Is Venus better in with Waggot than Mowbray ? ( now consider the training ground stuff )  Is he the one the players respond to more ?

Just how did Venus get elevated from assistant to some sort of DOF when it came to recruitment ?

Then ask why Mowbray never takes any responsibility himself and often looks like it's all going over his head.

The sooner this little cliche clear out the better, all the bleeding lot of them. 

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, rigger said:

On a lighter note, I remember a clip of a Clough interview. It went something like this. Mr Clough, what happens at your club, when someone disagees with you ? Clough answered. Well we both sit down and discuss our points of view, then we decide, I was right. 

Sounds like my house......

Don't tell the wife 🙄

• Like 1

It's all very odd. I mean it isn't unusual by any means for a manager to be followed around by the same assistant everywhere he goes. Plenty of others do it especially those from a traditional background.

But the Mowbray/Venus partnership does seem a bit different.

Like at Coventry, when Mowbray brought Venus in but then decided he wasnt going to be his assistant manager and instead was going to take a seat on the board and be his director of football. Bizarre stuff. Almost like appointing his own superior to a more powerful position in the club.

Then when Mowbray leaves Coventry Venus succeeds him as manager. Again unusual to say he had been in the boardroom up to that point.

Coming here it seemed he had reverted back to being a traditional assistant but then all of a sudden it turns out he is actually also 'Head of Football' or some snazzy title which seemingly puts him responsible for contracts and recruitment.

Then we see random games where Mowbray decides to take a back seat, and makes a point of going and sitting upstairs or staying rooted to his bench, effectively handing over touchline duties to Venus, then the week after the roles are reversed and Mowbray is stood up barking orders and Venus looks half asleep.

Then we hear rumours about this divergence of opinions between them.

All very strange.

I think we can safely prepare ourselves for Venus becoming Mowbray's eventual successor though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mowbray has literally lauded this approach, so don't get how it's not his style? 

That’s what I was told. I’m only repeating what the coach said.

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

As far as i'm concerned Mowbray implements the style of play and if not there is something very odd going on.

Is Venus better in with Waggot than Mowbray ? ( now consider the training ground stuff )  Is he the one the players respond to more ?

Just how did Venus get elevated from assistant to some sort of DOF when it came to recruitment ?

Then ask why Mowbray never takes any responsibility himself and often looks like it's all going over his head.

The sooner this little cliche clear out the better, all the bleeding lot of them. 

It’s really confusing and I suspect it goes back to Coventry. Who was in line to profit from the development of the training ground? If Mowbray is pushed its not Venus to blame he can stay in place while Mowbray’s the fall guy.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2021 at 16:18, tomphil said:

Is there an Kean situation going on now with Mowbray not attending due to covid or something else? 

On 24/07/2021 at 22:56, neophox said:

Is there an Kean situation going on now with Mowbray not attending due to covid or something else? 

Well usually at Ewood under Venkys there's no such thing as multiple coincidences. When odd thing after odd thing begins to happen again one after another something is usually in the air.

Knowing old Tone though he probably just fancied a day off, maybe he'll permanently work from home now like the snake oil salesman CEO.  Wouldn't put anything past this lot.

• Like 1

On 24/07/2021 at 23:02, neophox said:

Is Mark Venus the new Steve Kean? Mark my words.. There's something fishy going on.. We will see in coming days... Has there been any interview with Mowbray last weeks..? 

Mowbray leaving and starting the season with Venus as manager would be real old school Venkys. Wouldn't be surprised