BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

7 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Yep, Mowbray deserves some credit for the start of course he does.

The less options he has the better manager he is, always thought this.

Worried he will revert to type of chopping and changing every week when he gets his 4 loans and his couple of free transfers in though.

The start has been both welcome and surprising, however he needs a serious number of surprises to compensate for 2 in 17.

3 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Anyone see his 'could be me' comment backing the under fire Forest Manager?

You've some Brass Neck Mowbray....most of the supporters wanted you gone closed season.

I’d say a lot but not most. 

I’ve always been of the position that our problems stem from the owners so any discussion of recruitment of a new manager seems linked to changes ABOVE

Id argue MOST rovers fans probably feel very similar.

The biggest issue with Venkys has always been appointing managers. If we sacked Mowbray...who would they appoint? They've never once pushed the boat out on the most important signing of all, always gone for the cheap option in the hot seat, despite being willing to open the wallet for strikers. 

They turned their noses up at a serial promoter in Neil Warnock, they sacked Big Sam in favour of a nobody, they failed to capitalise on appointing Paul Lambert, who found the place so egregious that he chose redundancy instead (probably good for us in the long run considering his record since, but at the time he still had a good reputation).

Whoever chooses our managers (doubt it's the Venkys coming up with the list of potential coaches and managers) and has done so since 2010, they've been atrocious. Mowbray's been the best of a (very) bad bunch and saying that after his 2 wins in 17 last season really is damning with faint praise!

Edited by TheRoversReturn

Unless TM himself doesn’t fancy it (I.e next season to see further budget cuts and senior player departures), I imagine, collapse to the bottom of the table aside, a new contract will be signed at some point over the next few months.

Nowt we can do about if, so just have to hope he’s learnt from his many mistakes, pointless tinkers etc.

• Like 1

I bet they offer him a rolling contract, that way he gets a very nice golden handshake 🤝 if they ever decide to get rid. The bigger worry would be Mark Uranus taking over. All the silverware would be sold, including Jack’s Premiership trophy. 

• Like 1

On 19/08/2021 at 11:28, Baggie192 said:

Hello lads, been a while. Gotta say Mowbray was a big part of our turnaround from nearly going bust to becoming a stable prem side, until pulis effed it up. He did have a DOF though and it does seem he works best with one

Who was the DOF then? Also who was on his coaching staff?

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

I just wish he would leave taking the maggot with him

We’d only get another mediocre manager and useless CEO, the last 10yrs prove that 1864.

You know where the problem lies.

I just wanted to highlight this moment, seconds before the Forest player cuts in and scored in the last match. Brereton, as the 'right forward' in the team, has got back to defend and spots the opposition wing threat in the box. He points this out to Carter, whilst holding his position. Meanwhile, Buckley (I think) has got back to the 'D' and lets a Forest midfielder drift past him into the box. The result is that the defence get outnumbered as the shot comes in. Ultimately, because it was a shot, rather than a cross, the overload in the box doesn't contribute to the goal, which is a good long range strike.

Buckely, clearly, has made an individual mistake to not track the runner, if it is him, but Brereton holding his position as the defence gets outnumbered is more than an individual issue. It's a question of the defensive role of the wide forwards in the team. At this moment, he seems to believe his role is to provide a counter-attack outlet by not marking in the box and, instead, to screen the edge of the box. In other words, he's thinking like a striker or a No.10.

It's possible that Mowbray wants this to play a high risk/reward game. Having attackers stay forward has the benefit of occupying defenders and enabling a counter-attack. However, it means that the three central midfielders need to play a much more disciplined role in protecting the defence. Otherwise, we get outnumbered time and again, especially, at full back. It's a relatively simple tactical issue that still hasn't been resolved despite weekly cases of being exposed.

B8B9_tmp.png.b546177f954b8a4c1bf82cd7387c5862.png

Edited by riverholmes

8 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

I just wanted to highlight this moment, seconds before the Forest player cuts in and scored in the last match. Brereton, as the 'right forward' in the team, has got back to defend and spots the opposition wing threat in the box. He points this out to Carter, whilst holding his position. Meanwhile, Buckley (I think) has got back to the 'D' and lets a Forest midfielder drift past him into the box. The result is that the defence get outnumbered as the shot comes in. Ultimately, because it was a shot, rather than a cross, the overload in the box doesn't contribute to the goal, which is a good long range strike.

Buckely, clearly, has made an individual mistake to not track the runner, if it is him, but Brereton holding his position as the defence gets outnumbered is more than an individual issue. It's a question of the defensive role of the wide forwards in the team. At this moment, he seems to believe his role is to provide a counter-attack outlet by not marking in the box and, instead, to screen the edge of the box. In other words, he's thinking like a striker or a No.10.

It's possible that Mowbray wants this to play a high risk/reward game. Having attackers stay forward has the benefit of occupying defenders and enabling a counter-attack. However, it means that the three central midfielders need to play a much more disciplined role in protecting the defence. Otherwise, we get outnumbered time and again, especially, at full back. It's a relatively simple tactical issue that still hasn't been resolved despite weekly cases of being exposed.

B8B9_tmp.png.b546177f954b8a4c1bf82cd7387c5862.png

Eh ...?? ..its friday f*cking night lad ..hic hic..

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

couple more wins and then i bet Mowbray will be offered a new contract.

.....meanwhile 3+ of our best assets are still to recieve a decent contract offer and will be free to leave for nothing 

I can only think of Rothwell and Lenihan that would go for free. The others would have a transfer value.

18 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Unless TM himself doesn’t fancy it (I.e next season to see further budget cuts and senior player departures), I imagine, collapse to the bottom of the table aside, a new contract will be signed at some point over the next few months.

Nowt we can do about if, so just have to hope he’s learnt from his many mistakes, pointless tinkers etc.

He'll never operate any different now that's just fanciful thinking i'm afraid.

However he might have found his level at last and may operate better with the youngsters. He seems to fall down with the experienced pros perhaps a bit intimidated by them and their cliques.  Too focused on not upsetting them and keeping them all involved so they don't turn.

Now he's got mainly lads who can motivate themselves and be told what to do they aren't set in their own ways. It'll bring it's own challenges but with guys like Ayala around running the back line That will help a whole lot compared to having the likes of Williams in there or on loan kids.

He isn't doing anything different the same logic that only exists in his head is still applied. Strikers wide, 3 at the back etc etc and i'm convinced he'll try and revert to possession stuff once season has settled a bit.

That's exactly what he did last season but if he stays away from that and lets this side find its own feet i think we'll do ok. The thought of extending his contract though still remains to me a cop out again.

He'd gone stale and out of ideas 2 years ago that's why he changed the style that basically wasted 2 seasons and remaining money.

Lets see what happens once teams suss us out this season.

On 21/08/2021 at 10:27, Mattyblue said:

Oh I don’t think he will change, neither will the owners.

But there’s bugger all we can do about it.

Trouble is being managed by Mogadon,  his team never over achieves. We never upset a higher league team, we don't beat the top of the table....its always been average and as expected with him......he can't motivate that Is clear as day.....and he's now started losing to lower league teams in cups so what's the point anymore 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Trouble is being managed by Mogadon,  his team never over achieves. We never upset a higher league team, we don't beat the top of the table....its always been average and as expected with him......he can't motivate that Is clear as day.....and he's now started losing to lower league teams in cups so what's the point anymore 

If ever there was a guy who punches downwards when his opponent is 6'6" it's him. 

'Oh no point trying to knock him out he's bigger than me, i'll just tap away at chest height and see what happens'.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Mowbray has now way surpassed even Steve Kean with his bullshitisms 

in regards to Chapman... "is he going to stay here and get 10 or 15 games off the bench, or is he going to go somewhere and play 30 games and hopefully score 10 goals" 

the hell drugs is this buffon on!

The stupidest part of that, is he’s out of contract next summer (yet again).

Why on Earth would we care if he goes on loan and tears it up? It was this season or never. Just more drivel from Mowbray as you say.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

I wonder if that's Mowbray trying to get him out of the door now. "Go on son, you could play 30 games somewhere else and hopefully score 10 goals". That's what that sounds like.

I think he'll take whatever money he can get for Chapman now rather than let him go for nothing next summer. Poveda and Khadra in on loan, with Chapman sold for a small fee, possibly.

My gut feeling is , we should keep Chapman and acquire a centre forward ...

Other than that , just pay Mowbray off...

• Like 6