BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

5 hours ago, tomphil said:

I'd have had Keane in a season or two ago when there was a bit of a budget and some experience to work with. It all needed a kick up the arse, a genuine target and less old pals acts bothering more about the players feelings.

He was the man.

Now though going with this youth policy and grow to sell they seem to have given up on everything else. Doubt he'd be the right man for that caper Mr Midtable and co are tailoring it just to suit themselves. They might have found something they are actually good at, time will tell.

As for actual ambition, it left town a long while ago i'm afraid.

I reckon Balaji would chuck money at a high profile manager like Keane. I'd love him in here to sort it out.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, James No.22 said:

At least one Championship club have contacted him recently (as per the Gary Neville podcast/video) and he seems to be open to the idea of managing a Championship club. At least he's a straight-talker, which would be a welcome change.

Yeah I saw that. It was an enjoyable watch. As soon as he mentioned an approach from a Championship club, I wondered whether it was Rovers. I think he said it was three months ago. We apparently had four managers turn us down a few months ago, with Alex Neil being one of them. Was Keane in among them, I wonder.

Would I have Keane here? Yes, absolutely. The man sets high standards and is driven to win. Those are key characteristics that haven't been seen at our club for over 11 years. He'll be desperate to succeed in his next job, having been away for so long and will want to prove that he is a capable manager. Timed right, it could be just what we need.

Putting to one side if he’s actually any good. Keane’s problem will be similar to Souness’. He won’t be able to put up with the modern player and BS of the game currently.

Much easier just rocking up to Sky’s studios once a week.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, BRFC4EVA said:

I find all this talk about Keane bizarre. Atrocious manager who has been sacked from his last couple of jobs and left those sides in an utter state. 

Hasn't managed a football club in over a decade..

In any case does anyone seriously think he and the owners could get on???!!!

I'd love a ticket for that!

• Like 1

Well done Tony and Co in the transfer window just closed

Hope you can now get something out of your big signings - Gallagher and Brereton - and the loanees. Given that you've failed to replace Armstrong I don't envy your task but, never mind, you'll still have that big fat pay cheque to recompense you

It's going to be a long, hard season though so let's see how you shape up when relegation looms

• Like 2

1 minute ago, simongarnerisgod said:

great players usually make terrible managers,keane falls into that category

I know, I just want him to do what's right.  He's an honest guy and we need that... .it can't get much worse...I don't think he's that bad a manager.

Get some scrap into them...

Edited by Sparks Rover

10 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

great players usually make terrible managers,keane falls into that category

I think terrible is an over exaggeration. He won th championship with Sunderland and kept them in the PL. Was midtable with Ipswich, who are now in League 1. Hasn't done as well he would want to of course. I think he will do well yet, if given the chance at a club that fits well. Would definitely take him here. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I know, I just want him to do what's right.  He's an honest guy and we need that... .it can't get much worse...I don't think he's that bad a manager.

Get some scrap into them...

Sparks I got loads of criticism when I wrote Keane would be ideal for the job. He’s had time out of management and I’ve listened to him and Neville discussing football. He’s a straight talking guy who expects 100% from his players, no more. He backs them and he will work with them to improve. Can that be said for Mowbray? If he doesn’t want to come get rid of Mowbray and Uranus and let Damion take charge.

• Like 1

as much is i want Mowbray and his cronies to go.... All this talk of Roy Kean as a replacement is fkn absurd, the few managerial roles he had he was awful and he's not managed(or even been on a training pitch as far as i know) for around a decade!! 

can people not remember the absolute shambles that Sunderland became during and after his time there. I thinkna lot of that was because contrary to what youd imagine he was absolutely awful at the player management side(along with all tge rest) 

(for the record of the top of my head I'd want either someone young hungry and ambioutous like hasslbank or a solid proven manager that still has a lot to offer (and maybe something to prove now) like Hughes

but all that said, unless there's real money available to spend, no player transfer interference from the owners(or their representatives) and a genuine ambition to get out of thos league asap! then i cant imagine why any intelligent ambitious manager would join. 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

There was always a whiff of the bully about Keane; both as a player and latterly a manager. Footballers in the last decade have become even more snowflakey and entitled. I can't imagine young players wanting to work for a man like that and I can't see Keane adapting sufficiently to avoid upsetting the precious little darlings. 

• Like 2

I go Sunderland who were bottom of the Championship and we get promoted. That’s down to the players, the players done brilliant. I got good backing, good recruitment. We stay up in the Premier League and I see managers now when they stay up and they’re getting carried around the pitch. I remember in the dressing room and I was still a bit agitated thinking we could’ve done better and the season I left we were averaging a point a game I think and I think we were in the quarter finals of the League Cup; but I was still agitated. 

I thought we should be doing better, so that was my lack of experience. I wish for example I maybe rang somebody like Terry Venables or somebody for a bit of advice and they would’ve probably said to me ‘you’re doing well, you’re doing fine, relax’. I was still getting agitated.

When we stayed up in the first season for some stupid reason, I thought we would then automatically go up another 5 or 6 places which is madness. When I see teams now when we do the TV and you see teams stay up, you say they’ve done brilliant and I’d say what’s the priority the next year and it’s to stay up again. It’s about survival for the first 3 or 4 years, you see that with any team that gets promoted. But I just didn’t see that myself, I got a bit impatient and I was in the last year of my contract. 

I think part of my mind set was ‘I need to really get another step-up’ to maybe get a new contract or move on. I was in talks [ for a new contract] but because we’d lost 1 or 2 matches towards the end of my time there, I was reluctant to sign a new contract. It’s as if I was panicking and then we lost a few matches and I didn’t want to be seen that I was desperate by signing it and then before you know it – I’d left.

In the start of my second season Sunderland were sold to Ellis Short and the dynamics changed a little bit. Obviously the results weren’t great but again we were getting a point a game and which I should’ve been going ‘ok that’s fine’. I didn’t like the way he [Ellis] spoke to me, the tone of his voice. I go back to United or with Ireland, I think if people speak down to me or show me a lack of respect that does irritate me. It doesn’t mean to say that I’m not afraid to answer to people, obviously we’ve got owners and when I was younger we had senior players but my last conversation with Ellis Short he said I needed to move up to the area and I was thinking I’m 35/36; why should a guy be telling me a married man with 5 kids where I should be living. 

I see his point but I just think there’s a way of saying it, it’s the way someone speaks to you. If someone speaks down to you. Really when I look back at my differences with other managers – I feel I should really answer to my Dad, I shouldn’t be spoken down to by a Ferguson or McCarthy. Why should I be spoken down to?

Everyone makes mistakes, where do I start. I think the key for me where I got a ride at Sunderland was the recruitment. I got it wrong at Ipswich. [At Sunderland] I brought in not necessarily the best players but not always the best characters, I think that’s the hardest part. Do I look back on my coaches and staff and think did we get it wrong or got that really wrong? No, so I don’t think I would do too much different at Sunderland. When I was at Sunderland and we started winning a few matches people started to make out that we doing extraordinary things, which we weren’t. We had good training sessions and we got momentum. When you’ve got a good group, you’ve got a good group.

I learnt more from my time at Ipswich than I did at Sunderland.

Sounds to me like his relationship with Ellis Short who came in in the second season was the critical factor. Also I have a friend who’s a Ipswich supporter who confirmed it was the owners and their false promises that was the main failure at the club.

3 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

There was always a whiff of the bully about Keane; both as a player and latterly a manager. Footballers in the last decade have become even more snowflakey and entitled. I can't imagine young players wanting to work for a man like that and I can't see Keane adapting sufficiently to avoid upsetting the precious little darlings. 

yea there's always a fine line between being strong a strong willed disciplinarian and just being a bully and the likes of keane and souness are way past that line by todays standards. 

tbh though i dont think discipline is an issue with our current squad though, so I'm not sure where this is coming from. To me the problem with the playing squad lays more with generally poor/sub standard training(which is an absolute disgrace considering the top class training facilities they have at their disposal) rigid transparent tactics with no plan b,c,.... and poor man management skills from Mowbray. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dallydally said:

Well done Tony and Co in the transfer window just closed

Hope you can now get something out of your big signings - Gallagher and Brereton - and the loanees. Given that you've failed to replace Armstrong I don't envy your task but, never mind, you'll still have that big fat pay cheque to recompense you

It's going to be a long, hard season though so let's see how you shape up when relegation looms

For me, Mowbray look more focus then the previous 2 seasons(almost like the Promotion season focus for me) and will the young squad we got he has coach them and manage them. 

Yes it will be long hard season but I did feel that the squad can achieve mid table finish(with a couple of January additions) and have a good season. We appears more solid defensive and have a plan A and B which I think last season we lack badly. Plus we need to use the counter attacking tactics and play Gallagher up front in 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formation. 

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes it will be long hard season but I did feel that the squad can achieve mid table finish(with a couple of January additions) and have a good season. We appears more solid defensive and have a plan A and B which I think last season we lack badly. Plus we need to use the counter attacking tactics and play Gallagher up front in 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formation. 

Define mid table and do you really think that is acceptable in return for 4.5 years in the job and 9 transfer windows?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Define mid table and do you really think that is acceptable in return for 4.5 years in the job and 9 transfer windows?

Question not directed at me but I would say imo it's clearly not good enough and the situations regarding the aborted sale of Brockhall and the expiring contracts are even worse.

• Like 4